Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Out of the mouth of lady Alabama fan.

Started by Hoggie17, September 15, 2017, 10:53:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

I live in the Knoxville area now, and was in line with a shopping cart full of mums . I was talking with the woman in front of me about the Vols game against Fla this weekend. Neither  of us had mentioned where we were from.  I said, 'I hope the Vols win this weekend.'  She said, "I am pulling for Fla, they have not doing well the past few years".  "They need a win".  Without out telling her where I am from I said, " a team that needs a win is Arkansas". Her response was, "I don't care if they win or not they brought their situation on themselves".  "They fired one the best coaches in the country for  some personal problems.' "he had not broken any NCAA rules that had gotten the school in trouble".  "I can tell you we would not have fired him". The conversation ended there as it was her turn at the check out. I am not making any comments on our conversation pro or con.   

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Ragnar Hogbrok

September 15, 2017, 11:01:17 pm #4 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:52:22 am by The Chief
You know what they say: out of the mouths of shopping cart mums...
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 15, 2017, 10:53:30 pm
I live in the Knoxville area now, and was in line with a shopping cart full of mums . I was talking with the woman in front of me about the Vols game against Fla this weekend. Neither  of us had mentioned where we were from.  I said, 'I hope the Vols win this weekend.'  She said, "I am pulling for Fla, they have not doing well the past few years".  "They need a win".  Without out telling her where I am from I said, " a team that needs a win is Arkansas". Her response was, "I don't care if they win or not they brought their situation on themselves".  "They fired one the best coaches in the country for  some personal problems.' "he had not broken any NCAA rules that had gotten the school in trouble".  "I can tell you we would not have fired him". The conversation ended there as it was her turn at the check out. I am not making any comments on our conversation pro or con.   

Quote from: hoglady on September 15, 2017, 10:56:56 pm
She's right.

She is ill-informed and ignorant of the facts and doesn't know what she is talking about. Everyone seems to forget that BP brought this on himself...no lies to his employer, boss and the national media = no firing. I always give great weight to the opinion of a random person in the check-out line at a grocery store...especially when I had an agenda to begin with that agrees with their ill-informed opinion on a matter.
Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Alabama fan? Lol of course they wouldn't fire a coach for such...assuming they are winning games. Think if the same happened with Saban they would ride the integrity wagon like we did? Zero chance.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogNiner12

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2017, 11:03:10 pm
She is ill-informed and ignorant of the facts and doesn't know what she is talking about. Everyone seems to forget that BP brought this on himself...no lies to his employer, boss and the national media = no firing. I always give great weight to the opinion of random person in the check-out line at a grocery store...especially when I had an agenda to begin with that agrees with their ill-informed opinion on a matter.

But still didn't break any NCAA rules!! We'll just keep sucking with CBB 👌

birmingHAMette

She seems to have forgotten Alabama fired Mike Price for his escapade with a stripper before he ever coached his first Alabama game.

Go Hogs

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogNiner12 on September 15, 2017, 11:08:26 pm
But still didn't break any NCAA rules!! We'll just keep sucking with CBB 👌

You know, that isn't even the point. Lie to your boss, company and stockholders about something that you did that embarrasses your company not only publicly, but on national news and see if you don't get your arse fired.
Go Hogs Go!

hoghevn

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2017, 11:03:10 pm
She is ill-informed and ignorant of the facts and doesn't know what she is talking about. Everyone seems to forget that BP brought this on himself...no lies to his employer, boss and the national media = no firing. I always give great weight to the opinion of random person in the check-out line at a grocery store...especially when I had an agenda to begin with that agrees with their ill-informed opinion on a matter.

You're not kidding ill informed.  How about sleeping with and giving a job to the least qualified person.  This is just for starters.  What about over paying her and other financial and non-financial benefits?  People are so full of denial thinking that he did nothing wrong regarding the law or the NCAA.   We would have been investigated so fast and found guilty because of what he did, it wouldn't have been funny, and everyone on here would be so mad because we were banned scholarships and bowl appearances just to name a few things.  He brought that on himself, period! 
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

jkstock04

September 15, 2017, 11:21:16 pm #12 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:16:20 am by jkstock04
Quote from: hoghevn on September 15, 2017, 11:14:56 pm
You're not kidding ill informed.  How about sleeping with and giving a job to the least qualified person.  This is just for starters.  What about over paying her and other financial and non-financial benefits?  People are so full of denial thinking that he did nothing wrong regarding the law or the NCAA.   We would have been investigated so fast and found guilty because of what he did, it wouldn't have been funny, and everyone on here would be so mad because we were banned scholarships and bowl appearances just to name a few things.  He brought that on himself, period! 
For sure. Terrible NCAA infractions occurred there...good call. Jeff Long firing him made it all just disappear and the NCAA was able to look past what had happened thanks to our great AD. Otherwise, we would've been in major trouble with the NCAA and probably lawsuits as well.

Edit: forgot the sarcasm tag with this post. /S
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Bardicer

Didn't break any NCAA rules... Just put the university in a position to be sued by any number of people who applied for the same position Petrino's little cupcake got by spreading her legs.  Considering its a state institution, I wonder what kind of punitive damages that would have added up to?

Besides.... Petrino was as close to having Arkansas relevant as Bielema is.  If you ain't contending for the division you arent relevant.  And its been awhile and I'm too lazy to look it up and verify, but I dont remember Petrino ever competing with LSU or Alabama.  I do remember a nationally televised MF bomb though cause Miles was running up the score.

GoHogs1091

Of course Alabama fans probably wanted us to keep Robert Petrino (and they thought we should have kept him).

They were 4-0 against Robert while he was our Head Coach.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Bardicer on September 15, 2017, 11:37:59 pm
Didn't break any NCAA rules... Just put the university in a position to be sued by any number of people who applied for the same position Petrino's little cupcake got by spreading her legs.  Considering its a state institution, I wonder what kind of punitive damages that would have added up to?

Besides.... Petrino was as close to having Arkansas relevant as Bielema is.  If you ain't contending for the division you arent relevant.  And its been awhile and I'm too lazy to look it up and verify, but I dont remember Petrino ever competing with LSU or Alabama.  I do remember a nationally televised MF bomb though cause Miles was running up the score.

Actually the MF bomb was after the LSU QB scored and pretended to rip his chest open and pull out a heart. We had just had a player die of a heart problem that week. Miles was overy there chuckling at his QB's theatrics...greatest and most deserved MF Bomb ever. Bobby did nothing wrong there.

PRJ

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

I always wondered, why did firing BP save the university from getting sued? 

jkstock04

So why didn't they sue? Where are or were all the lawsuits? Petrino getting fired just magically make it so that all the illegal stuff didn't happen?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tigaman

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 15, 2017, 11:47:26 pm
So why didn't they sue? Where are or were all the lawsuits? Petrino getting fired just magically make it so that all the illegal stuff didn't happen?

Petrino wasn't the one who hired her. Long hired here. The other candidates (all 2 of them) didn't care enough to sue. They both had jobs by the time things went down. If they had sued, their football careers would probably have been killed. Would you want to hire someone who sued over not getting a job?

bvillepig

Quote from: Tigaman on September 15, 2017, 11:55:36 pm
Petrino wasn't the one who hired her. Long hired here. The other candidates (all 2 of them) didn't care enough to sue. They both had jobs by the time things went down. If they had sued, their football careers would probably have been killed. Would you want to hire someone who sued over not getting a job?

The truth that some seem to ignore. 

hogfanmd

Well, one of the parties Is coaching in a top 25 game tomorrow and the other ??????

gbaurnett

hogfanmd

Quote from: gbaurnett on September 16, 2017, 12:31:25 am
I miss Bobby

lightening in a bottle,  doesn't come around every day,  OH WELL ....

I miss winning and being a factor on game day rather then being an 11:00am after thought

jgphillips3

People lie to their bosses about non-work, personal stuff all the time and if it doesn't affect their job performance, they usually keep right on working.  I have wonderful employees and I don't doubt every damn one of them has lied to me about why they needed to miss work or something else.  However, they did their jobs and broke no "job related" rules which in Bobby's case would be NCAA rules.  He didn't have to be fired.  Now his arrogant ass self wound up getting himself fired by taking the wrong stand at the wrong time, but it was not a forgone conclusion he had to be fired.  All that said, it's time to forget about him because it's clear we screwed up but no point reliving it, focus on the unmitigated master of underachieving we have now and figure out where we go from here. 

Porkchop#1

I knew at the time firing CBP was a colossal, bone headed move.  Long;s poor handling of the mess, and his subsequent gigantic buyout for CBB have been amateurish at best.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2017, 11:12:56 pm
You know, that isn't even the point. Lie to your boss, company and stockholders about something that you did that embarrasses your company not only publicly, but on national news and see if you don't get your arse fired.

I usually see eye to eye with you on most things, same with PorkRinds ( he's in this thread as well).. Posters I enjoy, but I disagree with you all on this one.. We could have and should have found a way to keep him.. save some face but at the same time keep him... I know it's said BP would not take the punishment but also that he had a change of mind but Jeff had already decided,,, I thought it then and think more so now, we should have found a way... Guess you have more integrity than I do...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 15, 2017, 11:42:03 pm
Of course Alabama fans probably wanted us to keep Robert Petrino (and they thought we should have kept him).

Yeah, he's the only one that Saban has done that to...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 16, 2017, 06:43:54 am
I usually see eye to eye with you on most things, same with PorkRinds ( he's in this thread as well).. Posters I enjoy, but I disagree with you all on this one.. We could have and should have found a way to keep him.. save some face but at the same time keep him... I know it's said BP would not take the punishment but also that he had a change of mind but Jeff had already decided,,, I thought it then and think more so now, we should have found a way... Guess you have more integrity than I do...

Well again, it really isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with me or anyone else. Had Petrino made his first call to Long and come clean about what happened and allowed Long to engage in damage control for Petrino and the University, the narrative for public consumption would have been different. There would have been no lies to the University, to his AD, no BP lies released to the national media and he would very likely have survived this event. But once Petrino put his cover-up story out to the national media thinking he was going to lie his way out of this, the genie was out of the bottle.

I don't blame Long or the University. The blame and responsibility for the consequences fall directly on BP's shoulders.
Go Hogs Go!

harrisburghog

Here's why it was not illegal to hire her and the university had no leagal risk involved.

https://ogc.byu.edu/NACUANotes/NACUANote-2012May30.pdf

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 16, 2017, 07:00:30 am

I don't blame Long or the University. The blame and responsibility for the consequences fall directly on BP's shoulders.

With this I agree... but an affair in it's essence, is lying to everybody... People understand that you lie when you have an affair... it's what it is... A public apology, a Jimmy Swaggart moment and people forgive... happens everyday to preachers, bosses, coaches and even HV posters...

And it is about disagreeing with you or anybody else.. Find a way to keep him or not.. you say no and I disagree...

It's all water under the bridge and only a discussion point because we are unhappy with our current situation... hard to move on until you have what you had or you forget...

jacobp

Made up conversations are cool.

Sure they were some nice mums, woman

Dominicanhog

September 16, 2017, 07:18:03 am #31 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:32:54 am by Dominicanhog
Quote from: jacobp on September 16, 2017, 07:09:18 am
Made up conversations are cool.

True or not,  maybe he was looking to stir the pot.. but until something changes with our success, it's not gong away..

Broadway Rob

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2017, 11:12:56 pm

If you're responsible for record profits and bringing success your company hasn't seen in a while, the example you've given here would not lead to a firing, in my opinion. 

Money and success is ultimate forgiveness inducer.

FWIW, I actually agreed with the firing at the time.  In hindsight and considering where we've gone since, I also think a stern reprimand behind closed doors and internal penalty, as well as an apology tour through the media might have been a viable option. 

Long could have saved face by coming out and saying that Coach Petrino was being suspended indefinitely and then put through counseling and education program as punishment. 

Example of winning that cures a lot:

Pitino- Paid for his mistress to get an abortion, downplaying the sexual encounter stating it lasted "No longer than 15 seconds" and years later reportedly hired prostitutes for recruits. 

Currently still coaching at Louisville...  Hall of fame coach, btw

Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

ChitownHawg

I call bs that this conversation ever happened.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Broadway Rob on September 16, 2017, 07:41:20 am

Ah Louisville.. where once great coaches go to.........  finish their HOF career...

ChitownHawg

If you're responsible for record profits and bringing success your company hasn't seen in a while, the example you've given here would not lead to a firing, in my opinion. 

FWIW, I actually agreed with the firing at the time.  In hindsight and considering where we've gone since, I also think a stern reprimand behind closed doors and internal penalty, as well as an apology tour through the media might have been a viable option. 

Long could have saved face by coming out and saying that Coach Petrino was being suspended indefinitely and then put through counseling and education program as punishment. 

Pitino- Paid for his mistress to get an abortion, downplaying the sexual encounter stating it lasted "No longer than 15 seconds" and years later reportedly hired prostitutes for recruits. 

You might want to read this.

http://startupmindset.com/10-founders-fired-company/
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hobhog

Oh no! A BAMA FAN THINKS WE HEED A WIN?!?!

Oh my god. Oh my god. We HAVE TO FIRE THE WHOLE ADMINISTRATION NOW!!!

Broadway Rob

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 16, 2017, 07:51:36 am
You might want to read this.

http://startupmindset.com/10-founders-fired-company/

All of the examples are from under-performing CEO and Execs???  It seems like you're agreeing with me but it's tough to tell.  Steve Jobs, for example, was fired from Apple way before Apple was successful.  He was brought back in because they were on life support.  He then revolutionized the technology industry. 

Are you saying now that the hogs are on life support, we should bring Petrino back?  I don't think that would go over well.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

jmark

she's wrong.  you can't boop the help.  i was told that very thing by a bot member
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Uberanubis

Quote from: Broadway Rob on September 16, 2017, 08:14:04 am
All of the examples are from under-performing CEO and Execs???  It seems like you're agreeing with me but it's tough to tell.  Steve Jobs, for example, was fired from Apple way before Apple was successful.  He was brought back in because they were on life support.  He then revolutionized the technology industry. 

Are you saying now that the hogs are on life support, we should bring Petrino back?  I don't think that would go over well.

actually Steve jobs had built up apple. then got fired, apple tanked. then apple went out and REHIRED Steve jobs. jobs didnt really do any thing wrong. unlike other people. Apple at the time wanted to go a different direction then Jobs did.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

grayhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 15, 2017, 11:42:03 pm

after this year they will be 5-0 while Bielema is our head coach.

sowmonella

Quote from: birmingHAMette on September 15, 2017, 11:12:22 pm
She seems to have forgotten Alabama fired Mike Price for his escapade with a stripper before he ever coached his first Alabama game.

Bingo.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

MuskogeeHogFan

Though I can't quote a link and anyone who knows wouldn't admit it, it is my understanding that despite Long's media statement when he announced the firing of BP, that Long gave BP a list of things that he would need to comply with in order to stay and BP initially refused, and then later changed his mind but by that time it was too late.

And for everyone else, this isn't a commentary on his quality as a HC. I think that he is one of few really great offensive minds and play callers/schemers in college football and a heck of a QB Coach, but from all reports he is a tough guy to manage from an AD's standpoint and not always the face that you want representing your program. He wins, you just have to manage the baggage that comes along with him wherever he goes.
Go Hogs Go!

hobhog

I was in a bar the other day and a Tennessee fan told me I should buy wal mart stock. I'm gonna do it.

hoghearted

Didn't break any NCAA rules... Just put the university in a position to be sued by any number of people who applied for the same position [b/] little cupcake got by spreading her legs.  Considering its a state institution, I wonder what kind of punitive damages that would have added up to?

This is fundamentally not true. Dorrel, being female, could claim minority status for the hire, and she possessed the minimum qualifications for the job. There is no law that states you must hire someone he most qualified person for he job.

Hiring her was stupid, but not something for which the school could be sued. If it were, firing both of them would not remove the school's vulnerability.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 16, 2017, 08:28:14 am
from all reports he is a tough guy to manage from an AD's standpoint and not always the face that you want representing your program. He wins, you just have to manage the baggage that comes along with him wherever he goes.

Often the best are the toughest to manage.. they have a vision and often it doesn't match their bosses... as far as the face representing the program... If I were the person deciding and Bobby said he'd come back next year but couldn't do so as long as Jeff is there.. I'd be looking for a new AD, they are a dime a dozen.. HOF coaches are not...

Lucky for many of you, I'm not in that position...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 16, 2017, 08:37:24 am
Often the best are the toughest to manage.. they have a vision and often it doesn't match their bosses... as far as the face representing the program... If I were the person deciding and Bobby said he'd come back next year but couldn't do so as long as Jeff is there.. I'd be looking for a new AD, they are a dime a dozen.. HOF coaches are not...

Lucky for many of you, I'm not in that position...

Here are the choices before Arkansas when it comes to the direction of the program in my opinion.

1. You stick with Bielema who may or may not ever win 9-10 games here but usually wins 7-8 and gets you to a bowl every year, runs a clean program that graduates players and provides a program that everyone can be proud of because we don't break a bunch of rules like some of our competition and you can just enjoy the game day experience with family and friends knowing that you may not ever contend for the SECCG.

2. You decide to throw the old model of conducting football business out the window, get as dirty as many other teams in the SEC in recruiting who compete at higher levels and take your lumps when you land on probation and get your name dragged through the mud in the national media. At this point, you don't give a hoot if Arkansas has any integrity or not as long as they are winning 9 to 13 or 14 games every year.

3. You decide to change to a HC with a different philosophy that runs the HUNH, throw it all over the field style of offense that requires you to outscore other teams in order to win and every game is a track meet. This requires more emphasis on offense and less on defense. Of course everyone will gripe when we lose because the defense wasn't there to help us. The upside is, you probably win more and sooner and it doesn't necessarily require top 20 recruiting classes in order to accomplish this. You still may not ever get to the SECCG, but you may win 1-2-3 more games each year than we are now.

That's what I see as our options.
Go Hogs Go!

bondhue

Quote from: hoghevn on September 15, 2017, 11:14:56 pm
How about sleeping with and giving a job to the least qualified person.
She seemed adequately qualified for part of that.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

HogPharmer

Quote from: The Chief on September 15, 2017, 11:01:17 pm
You know what they say: out of the mouths of shopping cart mums...

I wonder if she was a babe?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Seebs

Your story took a turn to the surreal when you said 'A lady in Alabama'.

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.