Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 3 Recuiting Class?

Started by HatfieldHog, September 13, 2017, 09:27:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogsanity on September 14, 2017, 12:16:55 pm
Clemson is smack in the middle of some of the best recruiting in all of America. Draw a circle 300 miles around Clemson and see how many P5 recruits come from in that circle. Now do the same for Fayetteville, ar.
No doubt.  When you can be in Atlanta in an hour... how many big time recruits come from there?  Be in Florida in 2-3 hours?  We get to Kansas City and Little Rock in 3 hours. 

MemphisBossHog

September 14, 2017, 02:51:45 pm #101 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:05:28 pm by MemphisBossHog
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on September 14, 2017, 01:21:11 pm
we often beat LSU on the field

almost half the time
you can bet those days are over.  That was halfway due to Les Miles and his wacky coaching ways.  When LSU fired Miles, you saw how LSU wiped the field with Arkansas in Fayetteville cause Orgeron gets out of his coordinators' way and lets them use the amazing talent that they stockpile. 

If things stay the same for the next several years, there will be NO beating of LSU half the time or maybe any of the time in football.

Bama is just Bama, but the two games last year where it was just flat out obvious how far behind ARK is in recruiting compared to the big time programs in the SEC were Auburn and LSU.  Auburn was/is so so so much faster than Arkansas plus their linemen and LBs are stronger and faster.  LSU???  The players just look bigger like 25-26 year old men playing against 18-20 year old kids and LSU's players are the same age as ours.  That's just how much bigger and faster they looked to me.  Both teams waxed Arkansas and embarrassed us especially Auburn and their 500+ rushing yards. 

I don't know if even the greatest coaching in the world can close that kind of gap.  The upshot of it is Ark needs better players if we want to compete with Bama, LSU, Auburn. 

One interesting thing I heard yesterday was from Fitz Hill, who was on Arkansas sports talk radio.  He put an interesting perspective on TCU and recruiting.  He said that a lot of us are wrapped up in recruiting 4 and 5 star football players, but Gary Patterson at TCU recruits 4 and 5 star ATHLETES and then develops them-teaches them how to play the way HE wants them to play.  It really made a lot of sense.  He knows he cannot compete with Tex or A&M or OU for the polished elite football players, so he goes for the best athletes, the fastest, quickest guys he can get and the develops them.  I thought Fitz Hill made a lot of sense with that comment

Fan1958

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 13, 2017, 10:45:22 pm
The points are many. I was recruited and played both baseball and basketball in college.

Demographics are different between baseball and football players. Baseball players come from more affluent backgrounds. NWA is pretty much the old neighborhood. Baseball players are buying their education and as a result choose using different criteria. A baseball player is getting a lot for his dollar at the U of A. Sellout crowds at the most beautiful collegiate venue in the sport for instance. Players aren't part of the grounds crew, etc.

75% of all football players aren't white. NWA is a weird place to most of them.

Football players do not pay to attend school either. Facilities are great at all the schools Arkansas competes with so they aren't factors of differentiation.

P5 football programs are so close in terms of facilities and equipment that the things that set programs apart are geographical location, urban/rural demos, and traditions. You can be as dynamic as you want but you won't overcome all those factors. If you could, Saban would have never left Mich St.

There are tons of other factors and differences between the two but connecting the dots between baseball and football recruiting is not possible.

OK. How is Gundy getting the elite athlete to Stillwater?  Population of about 50k, in the middle of no-damn-where, the racial makeup of the city is 79.50% White, 4.71% African American, 3.93% Native American, 5.56% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.19% from other races, and 5.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.26% of the population.

Fayetteville population about 85k, growing rapidly, easy to get to anywhere and the racial makeup is 89.8% White, 4.0% Black or African American, 0.8% Native American, 1.1% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 2.8% from other races, and 3.1% from two or more races. 6.4% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Numbers wise way more African Americans in Fayetteville (3,400) than Stillwater  (2,355).
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

IronHog

OK St doesn't have athletes to play in SEC West at top level.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

311Hog

THis was mentioned in another thread that Okie State is the only other P5 school in a similar situation to ours.  I believe the point made there was that the better teams were realigned or left their conference, also coach, style, money proximity to other bigger cities also plays into it i suppose.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 02:33:10 am
So explain basketball recruits, and our ability under current and past coaching regimes to attract top classes to UA, comprised predominantly of black kids?  How does our track program do it as well?
Wut?  When has that happened?  I must have missed those.  I recall having a class a couple of years ago where we ended up with no recruits after Whitt left town.

Fan1958

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 03:22:48 pm
OK St doesn't have athletes to play in SEC West at top level.

Apparently neither does Arkansas. But I would be willing to wager OSU would fare better in the SEC than Arkansas.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

ricepig

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 14, 2017, 03:13:52 pm
OK. How is Gundy getting the elite athlete to Stillwater?  Population of about 50k, in the middle of no-damn-where, the racial makeup of the city is 79.50% White, 4.71% African American, 3.93% Native American, 5.56% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.19% from other races, and 5.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.26% of the population.

Fayetteville population about 85k, growing rapidly, easy to get to anywhere and the racial makeup is 89.8% White, 4.0% Black or African American, 0.8% Native American, 1.1% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 2.8% from other races, and 3.1% from two or more races. 6.4% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Numbers wise way more African Americans in Fayetteville (3,400) than Stillwater  (2,355).

OSU is usually behind us in the recruiting rankings by about 15-20 spots.

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 02:16:25 pm

Guys likes like Adams, Wright, and Child's were good players but nothing that isn't coming out of the state on a regular basis.  Brandon Allen was as good as Tyler Wilson physically

They were in a system that let them maximize they're skills.
They were elite college players which is why they got their shot in the NFL. When has that happened when three WR in the state of arkansas during the same recruiting class went to the NFL? Arkansas can produce great talent no doubt about it but it doesn't produce enough to sustain a 9 win a season program.

jabberjawls

Quote from: PossumFan on September 13, 2017, 09:57:21 pm
Bet he works more hours every week than you do.
I will bet he makes 3 times the money i do, too.

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 14, 2017, 04:34:36 pm
They were elite college players which is why they got their shot in the NFL. When has that happened when three WR in the state of arkansas during the same recruiting class went to the NFL? Arkansas can produce great talent no doubt about it but it doesn't produce enough to sustain a 9 win a season program.

Pettway, Jones, and Stewart are similar athletes........just playing in an inferior system.

toxichog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 14, 2017, 09:27:43 am
Name the last "big time" player we had that wasn't associated with anything Arkansas.

Uhhh.....uhhh......Darnell Robinson?

311Hog

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 05:07:48 pm

Pettway, Jones, and Stewart are similar athletes........just playing in an inferior system.

you know they are similar how? same stars? ....gut feeling?  there is a tall one, small fast one, and a medium mix of both?

Could they be? sure anything is possible.

toxichog

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 05:07:48 pm

Similar?...........the only similarity is they play wide receiver.

toxichog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 13, 2017, 09:27:34 pm
It looks like Dave Van Horn put together a 3rd ranked recuiting class....  Somebody please tell Brett Beliema that you can recruit to Fayetteville, Arkansas! 

See ya

Yeah.........I bet if Beilema could have as many top 10 recruiting classes as Van Horn he could win just as many SEC championships as Van Horn................uhhh........never mind.

IronHog

Quote from: toxichog on September 14, 2017, 05:13:31 pm
Similar?...........the only similarity is they play wide receiver.

Put all six through a combine at same point of their careers and you might be surprised......

BB isn't maximizing what he's got.

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 05:35:16 pm
Put all six through a combine at same point of their careers and you might be surprised......

BB isn't maximizing what he's got.
No doubt that BB isn't maximizing what he has but to make the claim that Wright Adams and Childs were just good players is wrong. And simply comparing combine numbers doesn't mean they all have the same potential.

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 14, 2017, 06:02:39 pm
No doubt that BB isn't maximizing what he has but to make the claim that Wright Adams and Childs were just good players is wrong. And simply comparing combine numbers doesn't mean they all have the same potential.

All fine players but none were Julio Jones type freaks

The current kids are also SEC athletes....... anyone seen Will Gragg?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 10:02:38 am
That's it, schools only have 11.7 scholarships for 35 players. A player on scholarship must get 25% minimum, I believe is the rule now. Florida doesn't offer him the money we could, this he comes here. Most of the Arkansas guys get the 25% minimum, if they get anything. They'll get the lottery scholarship plus the vast majority are good students and qualify for an academic scholarship. Parents of travel ball players know good grades are as important as MPH when it comes to college baseball. If you look at our roster, lots of Arkansas guys, Texas(in-state tuition/academic), and guys from north of us who love the indoor facility and atmosphere at Baum because they don't see that in the colleges in their home state.

Thanks that helps...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 14, 2017, 03:13:52 pm

For 1 they are not out recruiting us. 2 they have been successful because they have a good coach that has stayed for awhile. 3 their recruiting ranks them in the top half of their conference. 4 they are in a much weaker conference. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gundy

Here is his wiki if you want to see his coaching record.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 06:05:25 pm

All fine players but none were Julio Jones type freaks

The current kids are also SEC athletes....... anyone seen Will Gragg?
Greg Child's could have been our AJ Green. That's how good he was before his knee injury.

Once again yes we have SEC athletes on campus. Enough to beat TCU which is why I have no confidence in BB he has shown me he can't do it. But that is a small part in a bigger problem. We still have to compete in the SEC West. We can recruit well enough to consistently beat ole miss and Misstake and most likely any east team besides maybe Georgia and Tenner if they ever start preforming to their talent level.

We dont have the recruiting base to think we can consistently beat Bama LSU Auburn Texas AM. Yes we can have 1 out of 4 or 5 years where we have the culmination of talent and can compete for an SEC Title. This relies on our state to provide a strong class or two to booster our roster. Unfortunately we have not been getting top to bottom great instate classes. We have an Agim here and a Henry there but not 3 of them in the same class. And if you believe the only difference between Joe Adams and Deon stewart is system then there is not really anything I can't tell you other than it's wrong.

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 14, 2017, 06:18:53 pm
Greg Child's could have been our AJ Green. That's how good he was before his knee injury.

Once again yes we have SEC athletes on campus. Enough to beat TCU which is why I have no confidence in BB he has shown me he can't do it. But that is a small part in a bigger problem. We still have to compete in the SEC West. We can recruit well enough to consistently beat ole miss and Misstake and most likely any east team besides maybe Georgia and Tenner if they ever start preforming to their talent level.

We dont have the recruiting base to think we can consistently beat Bama LSU Auburn Texas AM. Yes we can have 1 out of 4 or 5 years where we have the culmination of talent and can compete for an SEC Title. This relies on our state to provide a strong class or two to booster our roster. Unfortunately we have not been getting top to bottom great instate classes. We have an Agim here and a Henry there but not 3 of them in the same class. And if you believe the only difference between Joe Adams and Deon stewart is system then there is not really anything I can't tell you other than it's wrong.

Arkansas can break even with LSU, Auburn, and ATM with the right management....which is be a top 25 team more than half the time.

Nobody is keeping pace with Bama right now. 

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 06:33:37 pm

Arkansas can break even with LSU, Auburn, and ATM with the right management....which is be a top 25 team more than half the time.

Nobody is keeping pace with Bama right now.
LSU Auburn and TAMU all have a ton of SEC athletes within 3-4 hours of their campus.
So how is it realistic to say we can 50/50 our games with them

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 14, 2017, 06:37:52 pm
LSU Auburn and TAMU all have a ton of SEC athletes within 3-4 hours of their campus.
So how is it realistic to say we can 50/50 our games with them

They only play 11 at a time though.....

UA can outperform with right approach

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 06:39:35 pm

They only play 11 at a time though.....

UA can outperform with right approach
And when they take that 11 out they have another 11 put back in with minimal drop off. We don't and probably never will have that.

You are correct UA can out preform them but probably not 50/50 them in a 4 to 5 year period. Sure we can have that 1 season where we can beat all of them in a single season but like has been stated that will happen when a great instate class or two have made their way to Arkansas.

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 14, 2017, 06:44:32 pm
And when they take that 11 out they have another 11 put back in with minimal drop off. We don't and probably never will have that.

You are correct UA can out preform them but probably not 50/50 them in a 4 to 5 year period. Sure we can have that 1 season where we can beat all of them in a single season but like has been stated that will happen when a great instate class or two have made their way to Arkansas.

All have QB issues.  Start there.

Those programs aren't winning out either.  Is what it is.....

thebignasty

If the football program spends a couple decades as a borderline top 10 or better program you might have an analogy.

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 06:48:10 pm

All have QB issues.  Start there.

Those programs aren't winning out either.  Is what it is.....
Lucky for us their admin have not found the right coach for their University. Imagine if Franklin went to LSU or if Chip Kelly does become the HC at TAMU.

Those teams won't always have issues and it's foolish to say we need to preform to their potential when our situation is nothing like theirs and our potential is hampered by something so important such as recruiting base.

Kevin

Quote from: toxichog on September 14, 2017, 05:33:48 pm
Yeah.........I bet if Beilema could have as many top 10 recruiting classes as Van Horn he could win just as many SEC championships as Van Horn................uhhh........never mind.

You mean like go to Omaha every 3 or 4 years.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 14, 2017, 06:53:57 pm
Lucky for us their admin have not found the right coach for their University. Imagine if Franklin went to LSU or if Chip Kelly does become the HC at TAMU.

Those teams won't always have issues and it's foolish to say we need to preform to their potential when our situation is nothing like theirs and our potential is hampered by something so important such as recruiting base.

It isn't a video game or algorythm

Good leadership maximizes potential

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 08:27:12 pm

It isn't a video game or algorythm

Good leadership maximizes potential
Okay but when LSU Auburn and TAMU maximize their potential it's more than what Arkansas potential is based on recruiting base. I don't know how many more times I can say it.