Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm sitting here listening to the Bo Mattingly show...

Started by JD Hogg, September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Hogg

I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.  I'm so sick of hearing this.  Why can't we expect it?  What makes Alabama or Oklahoma the only programs that can expect to compete for championships?

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches??  Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

BTW, what is win at all costs?  What does that mean exactly?  It's thrown out there I think to shut people down that want to have winning program, and by that I mean win lots of games, not just 7-5!!!  I want to win at all costs within the confines of fairness and rules of the game and recruiting, etc...  I also want the players to get educated and graduate.  But I also want them to win games.  I'm certain they want to win as well.  But I don't think we've ever had a coach that had a "win at all costs" mentality with the implication being that he would cheat etc.. to win.  Frank Broyles wasn't like that.  Lou Holtz wasn't.  Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, none of those coaches were like that.  However, I think it is possible that when the news media uses that phrase they are pointing directly at Petrino, not because of how he coached or recruited, but because he wasn't nice to them and he didn't make their job easy.  It's obvious they hated him.  He might have deserved the hate, I don't know.  But, I do know he proved that with the right coach, Arkansas could be a program that could possibly win championships.

Arkansas needs a great coach to win, no big secret.  But here's the big secret about coaching in general.  Every program needs a great coach to win.  Alabama has struggled.  Remember Mike Shula?  They weren't world beaters when he was there along with some other coaches they had.  Same with Oklahoma, they are average when they have average coaches.  I'm not gonna say Bret Bielema is not going to be a great coach.  I'm not a fortune teller.  But I will say he has not been a great coach so far.  If he was, then the proof of that would be on the field and in the win/loss column.  Say what you will about Petrino, but he was a great coach here.  I hope the next time, if there is a next time, that we get a great coach that he won't be fired the first time the haters get their chance to fire him. 

Seebs

Because we have never done it during the Saban/LSU stability era. Why would you expect otherwise? What changed
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Redhogs

Quote from: JD Hogg on September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm
I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.  I'm so sick of hearing this.  Why can't we expect it?  What makes Alabama or Oklahoma the only programs that can expect to compete for championships?

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches??  Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

BTW, what is win at all costs?  What does that mean exactly?  It's thrown out there I think to shut people down that want to have winning program, and by that I mean win lots of games, not just 7-5!!!  I want to win at all costs within the confines of fairness and rules of the game and recruiting, etc...  I also want the players to get educated and graduate.  But I also want them to win games.  I'm certain they want to win as well.  But I don't think we've ever had a coach that had a "win at all costs" mentality with the implication being that he would cheat etc.. to win.  Frank Broyles wasn't like that.  Lou Holtz wasn't.  Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, none of those coaches were like that.  However, I think it is possible that when the news media uses that phrase they are pointing directly at Petrino, not because of how he coached or recruited, but because he wasn't nice to them and he didn't make their job easy.  It's obvious they hated him.  He might have deserved the hate, I don't know.  But, I do know he proved that with the right coach, Arkansas could be a program that could possibly win championships.

Arkansas needs a great coach to win, no big secret.  But here's the big secret about coaching in general.  Every program needs a great coach to win.  Alabama has struggled.  Remember Mike Shula?  They weren't world beaters when he was there along with some other coaches they had.  Same with Oklahoma, they are average when they have average coaches.  I'm not gonna say Bret Bielema is not going to be a great coach.  I'm not a fortune teller.  But I will say he has not been a great coach so far.  If he was, then the proof of that would be on the field and in the win/loss column.  Say what you will about Petrino, but he was a great coach here.  I hope the next time, if there is a next time, that we get a great coach that he won't be fired the first time the haters get their chance to fire him.
Did you expect anything different from these hacks?  Continuing the party like for access to the program.."being Bret Bielema" ring a bell? 
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 04:50:31 pm
Did you expect anything different from these hacks?  Continuing the party like for access to the program.."being Bret Bielema" ring a bell?
If you've listened to Bo lately, he's actually been fairly critical of Bielema. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Well, it's an interesting topic.  What HC should we hire to reverse the trend and get us an SECC?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Redhogs

Quote from: Seebs on September 13, 2017, 04:49:02 pm
Because we have never done it during the Saban/LSU stability era. Why would you expect otherwise? What changed
We did win 10 and 11 games in consecutive seasons...see that happening anytime soon under the Long CBB regime?  I'll hang up and listen. There is someone out there other than BP that can do that and stay off a motorcycle but it sure the hell ain't these guys....and excepting things as they are now is condoning failure.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

sickboy

We've never won an SEC championship in our existence. And we've won one national championship in 150 years of college football.

Not saying we can't get there, but expecting either, at this point is devoid of reason. Totally your prerogative though.

cj_sez

Even in the Crowe years, I had hopes of a win before every game even when the likelihood was poor. It is disheartening now to realize I am hoping against an embarrassing loss. We've had the thrill of being in contention with Nolan Richardson and it was great. It's not wrong to ever hope to see similar with football, but it is difficult to imagine with CBB if not impossible. I want the aspirations back.

phadedhawg

Quote from: sickboy on September 13, 2017, 05:00:11 pm

We've never won an SEC championship in our existence. And we've won one national championship in 150 years of college football.

Not saying we can't get there, but expecting either, at this point is devoid of reason. Totally your prerogative though.

pretty much this

lakecityhog

Why not us? Wasn't that the team's "mantra" last year?

Look at what Gundy is doing in STILLWATER Oklahoma! Look at what Cutcliffe is doing at freaking DUKE!!! Is Wisconsin in a recruiting hotbed? Colorado?

To label Arkansas as hard to recruit to is the biggest lie told in this state! It is hard for me to believe that any kid would rather go to Stillwater than Fayetteville.

phadedhawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 13, 2017, 05:07:41 pm

Look at what Gundy is doing in STILLWATER Oklahoma! Look at what Cutcliffe is doing at freaking DUKE!!! Is Wisconsin in a recruiting hotbed? Colorado?

To label Arkansas as hard to recruit to is the biggest lie told in this state! It is hard for me to believe that any kid would rather go to Stillwater than Fayetteville.

Both schools claim a national title from the segregation era of college football.  What do we have on Stillwater?  Just curious...I've never been there myself.

Michael_E_Davis

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches?? Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

We did hire one of those coaches,  but Jeff Long thought winning didn't matter.  It will probably take a while to find another one that will have us competing at a high level every Saturday in the SEC.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

phadedhawg

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 13, 2017, 05:17:14 pm
We did hire one of those coaches,  but Jeff Long thought winning didn't matter.  It will probably take a while to find another one that will have us competing at a high level every Saturday in the SEC.

PorkSoda

I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.
I don't expect to win the NC, but I do expect to beat the TCUs of the world.

fans aren't mad because we feel just short of winning a championship.  they are mad because we suck and can't even beat a mediocre TCU team.

and not just that we lost, but that we looked lost while we lost
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rtr

Quote from: Seebs on September 13, 2017, 04:49:02 pm
All good things come to an end.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

JaketheSnake

Did he say "compete for" or "win" national and SEC championships every year?

Big difference.

IMO, we should expect to go to a mid range bowl game on a down year.  We should be in the running and talk for the SEC every year to every couple years.  National championships will come if we can compete for the SEC. 

We are not Bama or OU. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 04:58:10 pm
We did win 10 and 11 games in consecutive seasons...see that happening anytime soon under the Long CBB regime?  I'll hang up and listen. There is someone out there other than BP that can do that and stay off a motorcycle but it sure the hell ain't these guys....and excepting things as they are now is condoning failure.

What championships did we win those years? As that is what the OP is talking about.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 13, 2017, 05:51:40 pm
What championships did we win those years? As that is what the OP is talking about.

Well, you have to start somewhere.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 13, 2017, 05:47:31 pm

Big difference.

IMO, we should expect to go to a mid range bowl game on a down year.  We should be in the running and talk for the SEC every year to every couple years.  National championships will come if we can compete for the SEC. 

We are not Bama or OU. 

So we should expect a down year to be 8-4?  Because 8-4 gets you a mid-range bowl. 

To be in the running for the SEC, then we're talking 10+ regular season wins (probably at least 7 SEC wins).  We should be expecting that at least every other year?

hogcard1964

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 13, 2017, 05:55:38 pm
So we should expect a down year to be 8-4?  Because 8-4 gets you a mid-range bowl. 

To be in the running for the SEC, then we're talking 10+ regular season wins (probably at least 7 SEC wins).  We should be expecting that at least every other year?
obviously once you aquire more than 1-2 SEC losses  you fall out of the picture, but until that happens you are still "in the running" during the year. 

IOW, if the team is 5-1 in the SEC with 2 games left, they are still competing for an SEC championship spot.  but if they lose those last 2 games, then they are out of the picture.  That doesn't mean they were never in the picture.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

NorthDallas40

I'm out of state so help me here. Is Bo the height and hair challenged guy that acted as BB's handler of sorts during a horribly self serving and embrassing and short lived tv show?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 13, 2017, 05:55:38 pm

Yes.  That doesnt mean we are winning everything every year, but that at the beginning of the year we have a team that has a shot.  We could be what LSU & Auburn are potentially.

WilsonHog

It's a false equivalency; if you aren't happy with our record under Bielema, you must expect us to win a SEC or national title every year.

Or, maybe we could start with just a second place finish in the SEC West?

fakenews

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2017, 06:42:30 pm
It's a false equivalency; if you aren't happy with our record under Bielema, you must expect us to win a SEC or national title every year.

+1000

Count me in for 2nd place.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2017, 06:42:30 pm

In my case, I still hope CBB is the one to get us there.  I still support him, but am not happy with the W/L.  But since I support him, the haters around here label that as accepting mediocrity.

twistitup

Big difference.

We are not Bama or OU. 

" I came to win the SEC"
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bvillepig

The key is to be competitive enough to have a chance to win every game the opponents  are ranked and blow out the ones that are not.
That's what I expect.

Swestwill66

In 2010 and 2011 I felt like we could compete with any team in the country. We had an offense that could score from anywhere on the field in one play against anyone! What was Bobby's recruit ranking at that time?

Ex-Trumpet

Other sports at UA have had tremendous success.  It isn't "Arkansas."
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 13, 2017, 06:42:01 pm
Yes.  That doesnt mean we are winning everything every year, but that at the beginning of the year we have a team that has a shot.  We could be what LSU & Auburn are potentially.

So where BP had us for a couple years.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 13, 2017, 05:22:08 pm
I don't expect to win the NC, but I do expect to beat the TCUs of the world.

fans aren't mad because we feel just short of winning a championship.  they are mad because we suck and can't even beat a mediocre TCU team.

and not just that we lost, but that we looked lost while we lost

TCU looked better than mediocre to me.  They have a bunch of seniors and came out and hit us in the mouth.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Al Boarland

I'm all for having big dreams and saying why not, but there are very real factors that prevent the U of A from being that kind of program. It's kind of silly not to understand that.

People always like to compare CFB programs to a business and in many aspects it is. Business know markets they work well in. They know they when can't compete with the big boys and that's what works for them. Are there breakthrough stories? Sure. However, the world is littered with those that tried and failed.

Al Boarland

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 13, 2017, 05:07:41 pm

I'll break it down for you. With all the resources the program has it can't buy tradition. The stone cold facts are talented players have to drive by programs with more tradition and similar resources on the long haul to Fayetteville. So, what is our differentiator? We don't have one.

Gentlemen, just for starters, I would settle for a group of players who appeared to know what to do on the field, try really hard to go do that, on occasion, actually have success doing that, give great effort on every play, be excited to actually be there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 13, 2017, 07:30:52 pm
I'll break it down for you. With all the resources the program has it can't buy tradition. The stone cold facts are talented players have to drive by programs with more tradition and similar resources on the long haul to Fayetteville. So, what is our differentiator? We don't have one.
surely you aren't insinuating that our players aren't good. 

I find that hard to believe considering we are in the top 25% of teams in recruiting ranking pretty consistently.  Its the coaches job to put the players in a position to succeed. 

Hollywood870

Sooo we settle for what we have now instead of striving for what we had under Petrino. That's what we really want. Maybe slip up and win the SEC once every several years while knocking out 9-11 wins the rest of the time. This is what we want.

And I would expect no less from the coaches.  Present a team that seems excited to be there, each of them appear excited to be there, have a HC who didn't appear to have consumed a handful of downers just before he he showed up on the field and who looks as if he is proud of his team and doesn't stand aloof and away from the fray and appears to be coaching, offering advice and taking an interest n the game.  Hell, after that, I would maybe start expecting to win a few and then a few more.  But I don't expect a complete turnaround overnight.

The horse hockey about winning SEC championships and National Titles is an avenue to distract from the crud this HC offers up.  His cult followers are taught to try and throw off and distract anyone who might offer a sane judgement on their Lord of Lords.

JaketheSnake

PossumFan

Great post until the last sentence. Once again: The only person responsible for Bobby Petrino being fired is Bobby Petrino.

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 13, 2017, 07:35:53 pm

I find that hard to believe considering we are in the top 25% of teams in recruiting ranking pretty consistently.  Its the coaches job to put the players in a position to succeed.

Yeah, they are pretty good. We don't get the kind of quality talent and depth of about 1/3 of the teams we play, so that leaves 0 margin for error with the toss up teams. The biggest part of coaching in college, especially the SEC, is getting talent. Do you want to be an upset program or a favored program?

It doesn't really matter what you or I want because we are an upset program for the reason I stated in my other post.

Wildhog

There's an ocean between where we are and SEC/National title talk.

I just want to be at sea, somewhere.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HardCore

Big difference.

We are not Bama or OU. 

Just summed up why Bama and OU compete for it every year and we don't.........in a single paragraph
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

EastexHawg

What would a Razorback football discussion be without half our fans explaining to the other half why we shouldn't really expect to succeed and that any perceived success we may have experienced wasn't really all that good...and was an outlier not likely to be repeated anyway.

The indoctrination is making excellent progress.

WilsonHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 13, 2017, 07:35:53 pm

Yes, we do have good players, especially when compared to other teams around the country. Compared to our conference opponents, we're usually no better than 4th or 5th in our division.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: HardCore on September 13, 2017, 07:54:30 pm
Just summed up why Bama and OU compete for it every year and we don't.........in a single paragraph
Yep, bc if we dont win a Natty every year then we need to fire a coach. 

JD Hogg

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 13, 2017, 07:54:59 pm
What would a Razorback football discussion be without half our fans explaining to the other half why we shouldn't really expect to succeed and that any perceived success we may have experienced wasn't really all that good...and was an outlier not likely to be repeated anyway.

The indoctrination is making excellent progress.

As always, succinct and to the point. Thanks Eastexhawg

JaketheSnake

Porkchop#1

We've never won an SEC championship in our existence. And we've won one national championship in 150 years of college footbal
l.

So you could say we are due.