Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall takes the bait

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 12, 2017, 11:38:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 11:42:55 am
That question is just so laughable. If it was such a crappy job, why, then, did Bielema leave Wisconsin? Why did ANY coach take the job?

It's nonsensical.
According to BB himself, he wanted to coach in the SEC.  Turns out he might be in over his head and I wonder if he were truthful, would he say he would do it all over again or stay at Wisky where he appeared to have a good thing going? Knowing what he knows now, I bet he would have stayed at Wisconsin.  BB had no clue what its like in the SEC West-no idea.  Now I think it would have gotten worse for BB at Wisky if he had stayed because Urban went to OSU and now Jim Harbaugh is at MICH, so Wisky was about to be an also ran in the Big 10 but BB would have been better off to stay in the Big 10.

I don't know that Ark is a "crappy" job, but I think its a HARD job.  Its got great benefits. Good fan base (only big time school in the state- no pro team), good facilities, Athletic Dept/Razorback Foundation will pay decent to good (not great) salaries. But its a hard job and big name coaches--the ones that Arkansas fans think would want to come here-- simply wont come because they are good enough to get better jobs where its easier to recruit and stockpile talent. We had the coach we needed in Petrino.  It was just a shame he had to go and screw things up like he did. 

When Petrino was fired, I don't think a bunch or even 1 big name coach was beating JLong's door down to get the job. One could say that Bielema's resume was the best of the coaches that "wanted" to come to Ark.  Sure, some coordinators like Venables may have wanted to come here, but nobody with bigtime head coaching experience was coming here.  They all know how hard it is. 

All that talk about Jon Gruden was ridiculous and now any talk of Bob Stoops is ridiculous.  It will take a special type coach to win big at Arkansas and unfortunately it doesn't look like Bielema is the one.

umpqua

Mike Norvell. He's young, a good coach, wants to be the coach and he's one of us. That's who we need to hire. He won't be at Memphis long.

factchecker

Quote from: umpqua on September 14, 2017, 12:38:21 am
Mike Norvell. He's young, a good coach, wants to be the coach and he's one of us. That's who we need to hire. He won't be at Memphis long.

I like Norvell but how exactly is he one of us?

He's not a former Razorback.

He not an alumnus of The University of Arkansas.

As far as I know Norvell is from Texas.

His wife is from Fort Smith.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Qadi999

I think the real question is not can you find another coach who would do better than BB, but can you find one that can do as good as him for less than 4 mil a year?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: umpqua on September 14, 2017, 12:38:21 am

He's from UCA not the UA. Right now he's primarily still using Justin's players but he has done well with them. It's still a little early in his head coaching career to say how he would do here or how good a recruiter he would be. I bet he would do fine though. However I would at this time prefer his predecessor at Memphis.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 05:29:03 am

As mentioned UCA alum.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

sylamore

Many abused women quite sadly put up with it because they first minimize the problem on the one hand, and then are fearful of the future on the other. "He only beats me when he is drunk, and how do I know that the next guy might be worse?"

Pigsknuckles

The memory of JLS is still fresh. Change from the status quo will be slow.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 05:29:03 am

Nutt was one of us. How'd that work out for ya?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

factchecker

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 14, 2017, 09:09:23 am
Nutt was one of us. How'd that work out for ya?

Nutt wasn't a Razorback.  He quit the Razorbacks to go play for Okie Lite.

Nutt was an Oklahoma State alumnus.

Nutt is from Little Rock .....

You know who were true Razorbacks?

Ken Hatfield - one of the best winning % in Razorback history
Jimmy Johnson - National Champion and Super Bowl Champion winning coach
Barry Switzer - National Champion and Super Bowl Champion winning coach
Terry Don Phillips - one of the best athletic directors for Clemson

All of those would have worked well for us.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 03:04:50 pm
Nutt wasn't a Razorback.  He quit the Razorbacks to go play for Okie Lite.

Nutt was an Oklahoma State alumnus.

Nutt is from Little Rock .....

You know who were true Razorbacks?

Ken Hatfield - one of the best winning % in Razorback history
Jimmy Johnson - National Champion and Super Bowl Champion winning coach
Barry Switzer - National Champion and Super Bowl Champion winning coach
Terry Don Phillips - one of the best athletic directors for Clemson

All of those would have worked well for us.
You are living in the era of 3 or 4 generations ago. Probably need to forget about those guys. They do not make them anymore. They make Nutt's, Crowe's, Bielema's, Hastings' and Pelphrey's now.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

factchecker

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 14, 2017, 03:39:00 pm
You are living in the era of 3 or 4 generations ago. Probably need to forget about those guys. They do not make them anymore. They make Nutt's, Crowe's, Bielema's, Hastings' and Pelphrey's now.

That could be true but the guys you cited aren't one of us either:

Nutt = Oklahoma State and Little Rock
Crowe = Birmingham, Alabama
Bielema = Iowa and Illinois
Pelphrey = Kentucky
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 03:52:36 pm
That could be true but the guys you cited aren't one of us either:

Nutt = Oklahoma State and Little Rock
Crowe = Birmingham, Alabama
Bielema = Iowa and Illinois
Pelphrey = Kentucky
Hence my comment that they are not making the other kind anymore. The above types are what we get. I'll dumb it down for you: there are no more players who played at Arkansas and who are good head coaches who will be coming to be the head coach at Arkansas.