Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long admits to not even trying...

Started by Malvin, September 12, 2017, 10:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 02:18:38 pm
Jeff Long:

"Yes it eats us up inside when we don't win more".

Translation from hogville:

"Jeff Long admits to not even trying".

Impossible to argue with such rock hard logic.
That's merely a spin click bait job from the OP. Something like that is the norm in the politics board and I've seen you do the same exact thing starting a thread.

If you read everything that was said the point remains...winning is secondary in our current regime/culture. He points this out the day after TCU? Cmon...I would wager even you don't think that's the right thing to do.

Yes it's a "priority" but how far down the list? That's what someone needs to ask him. I've wondered out loud for 2 or 3 years now if winning would make the top 5 of things on his 'to do' list. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

He made some comments the other day prior to the game that we needed to win a few more games...but when I went back and read everything he said it was mainly more of the same as this when considering the context.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

redneckfriend

Quote from: Redhogs on September 12, 2017, 12:51:59 pm
Gawd you are lost.....try to catch up...you are only 4 years behind. BP has nothing to do with Bert's failure. What he did do however, was show that you can win here, and that makes all your Bert loving excuse making invalid....and you CAN'T STAND THAT. Talk about an agenda, excepting a failed FB program is yours, and some of us are not going to hop on that group think.

Are you illiterate? I ask because what you posted has no relationship to what I posted. I'll make it simple: "Brett" (or "Bert" to you apparently) was a good hire by Long at a time when "Bobby" had left the program in shambles. The fact that he hasn't been successful was not foreseeable at the time he was hired (although some on here profess that foresight). If that is stipulated then it is inane to blame Long for Bielema's failure. Long wants to win, he'll do what he thinks will work, hiring Bielema seemed like a reasonable idea at the time. That's it. Sorry no hosannas for Brett ("Bert") Bielema, no "agenda, no "group think". Before you post try to understand what you are responding to, trust me it helps.

Wildhog

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 02:30:52 pm
Are you illiterate? I ask because what you posted has no relationship to what I posted. I'll make it simple: "Brett" (or "Bert" to you apparently) was a good hire by Long at a time when "Bobby" had left the program in shambles. The fact that he hasn't been successful was not foreseeable at the time he was hired (although some on here profess that foresight). If that is stipulated then it is inane to blame Long for Bielema's failure. Long wants to win, he'll do what he thinks will work, hiring Bielema seemed like a reasonable idea at the time. That's it. Sorry no hosannas for Brett ("Bert") Bielema, no "agenda, no "group think". Before you post try to understand what you are responding to, trust me it helps.

Bret*
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 02:26:40 pm
That's merely a spin click bait job from the OP. Something like that is the norm in the politics board and I've seen you do the same exact thing starting a thread.

If you read everything that was said the point remains...winning is secondary in our current regime/culture. He points this out the day after TCU? Cmon...I would wager even you don't think that's the right thing to do.

Yes it's a "priority" but how far down the list? That's what someone needs to ask him. I've wondered out loud for 2 or 3 years now if winning would make the top 5 of things on his 'to do' list. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

He made some comments the other day prior to the game that we needed to win a few more games...but when I went back and read everything he said it was mainly more of the same as this when considering the context.

He said the same thing before the TCU game, he said that at the NWATD club the week before.

GuvHog

Once again, Bobby did not leave the program in shambles. The team had just finished the season ranked #5 in the nation when he was terminated. It was his termination and subsequent hiring of "Smiley" as interim HC that left the program in shambles and Long did both.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Redhogs

"Am I illiterate" asked the moron who calls himself "redneckfriend"....pure gold.

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 02:38:08 pm
He said the same thing before the TCU game, he said that at the NWATD club the week before.
Ya, pretty much. When I first read part of that it sounded like he was putting a little heat and message out there that we need to win more football games. But no, not really.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 02:48:20 pm
Once again, Bobby did not leave the program in shambles. The team had just finished the season ranked #5 in the nation when he was terminated. It was his termination and subsequent hiring of "Smiley" as interim HC that left the program in shambles and Long did both.

Sorry but Long did not lie to himself, Long did not hire his mistress to a state position (and i dont mean 69).  Petrino did that, Long just did his job as best he could at the time.  I do not blame him for Petrino Petrino'ing nor do i blame him in hindsight for keeping JLS at the time seemed like a decent enough idea considering what you just said team had SRs and was coming off a great season, who knew they would mail it in once the "Dictator" coach left, who knew JLS would worry more about his bankruptcy?

In the blame game Long comes in last behind, Petrino, JLS himself, the players etc. in that situation.  Current one is a different story

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 02:55:12 pm
Ya, pretty much. When I first read part of that it sounded like he was putting a little heat and message out there that we need to win more football games. But no, not really.

Yea, I read through that and was looking for something/anything that may have been said to put him on notice and light a fire under his arse, but no...nothing.

longpig

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 10:39:54 am
He doesn't care about winning. He cares about money. Period.

Same thing in his line of work because if the wins don't increase the money will decrease.  He's very proud of the fact that  UofA athletics takes in more than it spends.  We all are (or should be). 
Don't be scared, be smart.

RazorPiggie

I have an honest question. Who came up with the Buyout? Was it solely Long or does that have to go through the Foundation or something else?

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 12, 2017, 03:14:14 pm
I have an honest question. Who came up with the Buyout? Was it solely Long or does that have to go through the Foundation or something else?

Agents, Long, in house legal counsel, and RF.

ricepig

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 03:16:27 pm
Agents, Long, in house legal counsel, and RF.

The RF doesn't really have any input, though. It had to be ok'd by the Chancellor and system President.

hogsanity

and the terrible recruiting after the 2010 and 2011 seasons, both classes signed by BP. And the smoking hole in the ground that the 2010 class turned out to be.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

Can't we just win with the appropriate costs?
Go away, batin'

RazorPiggie

Yes he did. We had terrible classes coming in and the previous classes had so many losses. There was like 25+ players that had left from those 2010 & 2011 classes. It was an insane amount.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 03:17:51 pm
The RF doesn't really have any input, though. It had to be ok'd by the Chancellor and system President.

So multiple people not just Long.

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 12, 2017, 03:27:43 pm
So multiple people not just Long.

shhhhhhh! You'll ruin a good rant about how Long did all of this on his own.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pecos Hog

Maybe Jeff thinks he can turn Arkansas into VANDERBILT?   

The real Hogules

What "being more like Vanderbilt, than Alabama" looks like on a Saturday -

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 02:26:40 pm

Sorry, but I think this is just more over reaction emotional bull darn. Everyone up there wants to win.

HoggieStyle

So because people are upset about a disasterpiece of a loss to TCU, that translates into "Win at all costs"?

Who suggested that nobody go to class? Who suggested Scantrons for Austin Allen? Bags of twenties for the WRs?

That's right. Nobody.

All anybody has said is that the coach appears to suck.

So....having a coach that doesn't suck (i.e. - can actually coach while it's going down on the field, in-game, and have his team prepared before the game) somehow equals "win at all costs".

There's your answer, folks. Long is a complete dolt. End.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoggieStyle on September 12, 2017, 04:59:08 pm
So because people are upset about a disasterpiece of a loss to TCU, that translates into "Win at all costs"?

Who suggested that nobody go to class? Who suggested Scantrons for Austin Allen? Bags of twenties for the WRs?

That's right. Nobody.

All anybody has said is that the coach appears to suck.

So....having a coach that doesn't suck (i.e. - can actually coach while it's going down on the field, in-game, and have his team prepared before the game) somehow equals "win at all costs".

There's your answer, folks. Long is a complete dolt. End.

Nah, you're just inept at understand context. Like the rest of these emo darksiders.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 10:27:15 am
Meh. An 8-win cap will not sustain the butts in the seats needed to maintain revenue.
8 wins is great.  my worry is that we wont get there at this rate.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 12, 2017, 02:56:04 pm
Sorry but Long did not lie to himself, Long did not hire his mistress to a state position (and i dont mean 69).  Petrino did that, Long just did his job as best he could at the time.  I do not blame him for Petrino Petrino'ing nor do i blame him in hindsight for keeping JLS at the time seemed like a decent enough idea considering what you just said team had SRs and was coming off a great season, who knew they would mail it in once the "Dictator" coach left, who knew JLS would worry more about his bankruptcy?

In the blame game Long comes in last behind, Petrino, JLS himself, the players etc. in that situation.  Current one is a different story

I've proven you wrong about the "hiring his mistress" crap and you still don't get it. Go ahead and keep kissing Long's backside.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Uberanubis

Meh. An 8-win cap will not sustain the butts in the seats needed to maintain revenue.

you say this but seats continue to be filled and tickets keep getting sold.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Cure

Quote from: hobhog on September 12, 2017, 02:21:51 pm
It's weird for sure. I understand the frustration, but good grief the "fire everyone" crowd gets really old. If fan bases all over the country got thier wish I don't think there would be 5 ADs safe in the country.
Good thing is that they don't make the decisions.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

jcbville

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 11:25:03 am
I wish someone at the LR Touchdown club would have asked the question "what is more important to you, winning an SEC championship in football or having high grades/low behavior problems?".

Not even Nick Saban if asked that question is publicly going to say winning is more important. So it would be a pointless question.

Any idiot AD or coach that stood at the podium and said "Winning the SEC is more important than grades or good behavior" would be publicly crucified. There would be sound bytes all over the ESPNs and it would be used to turn off every recruits mother and uncle that team tried to recruit. Insanity...

Lanny

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 12, 2017, 03:14:14 pm
approved by BOT
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 04:56:45 pm
Sorry, but I think this is just more over reaction emotional bull darn. Everyone up there wants to win.
I'm really not overreacting. This is a legit concern I've seen for coming 2-3 years now...and it's starting to come to a head where others are taking notice.

I'm afraid winning to Jeff Long is just the cherry on top. Where and when it'll start getting his attention is if he can't spin and deflect things enough in the offseason per usual to get people to forget the previous year and continue to pony up.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: jcbville on September 12, 2017, 05:45:39 pm
Not even Nick Saban if asked that question is publicly going to say winning is more important. So it would be a pointless question.

Any idiot AD or coach that stood at the podium and said "Winning the SEC is more important than grades or good behavior" would be publicly crucified. There would be sound bytes all over the ESPNs and it would be used to turn off every recruits mother and uncle that team tried to recruit. Insanity...
Here's what the university of Houston says about winning:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/12/11/13909674/rena-khator-fired-coaches-8-and-4-major-applewhite
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HoggyCat

Quote from: hawgon on September 12, 2017, 10:32:13 am
Statements like these are actually a sure sign that he is feeling some heat and might be in a bit of trouble.  He is creating a false dichotomy and narrative.  You're either satisfied with the job Jeff Long is doing, or you're a win at all costs mercenary.  There is no in between.  As such he is insulating himself from being pushed out because no one in the administration wants to be seen being in favor of sleeze.

Jeff Long is setting himself up as a martyr for integrity in college athletics.

Long will not be a martyr for anything. All he cares about is himself. He'll change his tune as soon as he needs to in order to please the fans and to keep or improve his job.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 12:43:12 pm
True, but sometimes it's better to take a look at how you're viewed from the outside.

...it's not good.

secrant is a collection of posters that have been banned from everywhere else

hogcard1964

Pig in the Pokey

ding ding ding
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 06:14:21 pm
secrant is a collection of posters that have been banned from everywhere else
not true at all . SEC rant is the gold standard of fan boards.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DLUXHOG

Smiley hire is his biggest, and maybe, only mistake.  Smiley was obviously too engrossed with his personal financial issues to even try to coach a team that possessed a good amount of talent.    He totally took the program to the gutter and exhausted the wind from our sails...

JaketheSnake

How much do you think revenue is going to drop?

If we lose 1/3 of tickets sold for the season, that's 140k of the cheap seats for the season.  That translates to under $7m.  That's a lot of money, but not in the grand scheme.  SEC network money is over $40M and likely to grow.

That's pretty conservative, as I doubt we would lose 1/3 of seats for the entire season.  We'd lose 1/3 or more for weakling games,  but still sell out most SEC games. 

Integrity has its price.  Are we seeing benefits from Longs involvement in Committees?  Has to be good press for the UofA.  Enrollments are climbing. 

DLUXHOG

Vanderbilt says "hello"

Großer Kriegschwein

I was talking about Arkansas, not Vanderbilt, but now that you mention it, having an 8-win ceiling means there will be 4-5-6 win seasons in between. That will not sustain in Arkansas.
This is my non-signature signature.

hawgmasta

I want a Jeff long hater completely until now.

That's unbelievable, say goodbye to a whole generation of young hog fans boys.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:17:30 pm
I want a Jeff long hater completely until now.

That's unbelievable, say goodbye to a whole generation of young hog fans boys.
Really?  Which dads that are hog fans are going to teach their kids be fans of another program or not a fan at all?  NONE.  The guys that are mad at CBB and JL are not going to drop the program.  They may not go to games, but will still watch. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 12, 2017, 07:22:08 pm
Really?  Which dads that are hog fans are going to teach their kids be fans of another program or not a fan at all?  NONE.  The guys that are mad at CBB and JL are not going to drop the program.  They may not go to games, but will still watch.

Right. . . But that's not how it works. I live outside of Arkansas now and will guide my son towards the hogs as much as I can but unless you haven't been paying attention to the younger generation lately they prefer to like teams that win. Being from somewhere has little to do with loyalty to a team nowadays.

Just like business it's about a brand and success. It's the image you impose on someone's mind. Arkansas isn't even on people's mind at the moment.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:28:50 pm
Right. . . But that's not how it works. I live outside of Arkansas now and will guide my son towards the hogs as much as I can but unless you haven't been paying attention to the younger generation lately they prefer to like teams that win. Being from somewhere has little to do with loyalty to a team nowadays.

Just like business it's about a brand and success. It's the image you impose on someone's mind. Arkansas isn't even on people's mind at the moment.
So you are saying we are not going to win over boys that their parents dont have a team they watch every Saturday.  I grew up when the Hogs were not winning much and became a fan.  A lot of us grew up when we were not winning championships and are still fans.  Most fans have never seen a true conference championship and/or national championship, but are still fans.

twistitup

I live in Arkansas and it still works this way. Kids want to play for a winner - it's simple.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Yeah, not much being posted on here lately, kind of dead.