Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Right Way For Bielema to Handle Hedlund Situation

Started by Mike Irwin, September 10, 2017, 07:52:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 13, 2017, 09:14:23 am
None of what you posted is even close to what Bielema said about Hedlund.  He said he was done with him and he'd never let him kick again, just go for it on 4th down every time.

And if Bielema ever publicly said that about a qb or rb that was struggling then that would be just as wrong.  It's a coaches job to correct players' mistakes.  (Some might even call it coaching)

Bielema showed his ass in the PC, and it's a big one.

None of what you posted even comes close to what CBB said. He didn't say he was done with him or would never let him kick again. Nor did he say he would just go for it on 4th down every time. When making posts like this one it's important to, you know, know wth you're talking about.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 10:02:52 am
None of what you posted even comes close to what CBB said. He didn't say he was done with him or would never let him kick again. Nor did he say he would just go for it on 4th down every time. When making posts like this one it's important to, you know, know wth you're talking about.
I'm gonna throw these quotes out there just in case you missed it:

"Kicking game, we may either just go for it all the time or put in another guy."

"we've definitely got to find the other option because we're not going to go down that path again."

What he said for sure at the very least comes close to what Bielema said.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 13, 2017, 10:21:53 am

I'm gonna throw these quotes out there just in case you missed it:

"Kicking game, we may either just go for it all the time or put in another guy."

"we've definitely got to find the other option because we're not going to go down that path again."

What he said for sure at the very least comes close to what Bielema said.

So what you're saying is that he didn't actually say what the poster said he did? Thanks for the confirmation.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 10:26:02 am
So what you're saying is that he didn't actually say what the poster said he did? Thanks for the confirmation.
You are hilarious. Spin spin spin. You said it didn't come close to what he said. I quoted you exactly Bielema talking about going for it all the time and still you are defiant. Not surprising coming from you. I do give you props for still hanging around toeing the line though...while all your buddies who have chastised and harassed anyone questioning anything the past 5 years have magically disappeared.

Topic at hand, I'm actually one of the few that doesn't give a flying flip about Bielema throwing the kicker under the bus BTW. Couldn't care less about that. Whoop tee doo...kickers either get all the praise or all the blame.

What irritates me most about it is Bielema hasn't put much, if any emphasis on special teams the entire time he's been here. Now all the sudden he acts irritated about it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 13, 2017, 10:56:24 am
You are hilarious. Spin spin spin. You said it didn't come close to what he said. I quoted you exactly Bielema talking about going for it all the time and still you are defiant. Not surprising coming from you. I do give you props for still hanging around toeing the line though...while all your buddies who have chastised and harassed anyone questioning anything the past 5 years have magically disappeared.

Topic at hand, I'm actually one of the few that doesn't give a flying flip about Bielema throwing the kicker under the bus BTW. Couldn't care less about that. Whoop tee doo...kickers either get all the praise or all the blame.

What irritates me most about it is Bielema hasn't put much, if any emphasis on special teams the entire time he's been here. Now all the sudden he acts irritated about it.

I see you don't read what i actually post. There's lots of reasons to criticize CBB. I've been critical myself. But this over the top BS and creating things to be mad about is useless. He didn't say those things about hedlund. Why pretend he did?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 11:07:01 am
I see you don't read what i actually post. There's lots of reasons to criticize CBB. I've been critical myself. But this over the top BS and creating things to be mad about is useless. He didn't say those things about hedlund. Why pretend he did?

Yep. Lots to be pissed about without making up stuff.

Plentiful.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hogusta National

CBB never called out Hedlund by name.  The problem (for CBB from fans) is that there is only one kicker on the field typically so we all know who he is.  If CBB called out a receiver or receivers without calling them by name, no one would think anything of it.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 11:07:01 am
Ok I'll pretend for a second you aren't being a smart ass.

If he didn't say: "Kicking game, we may either just go for it all the time or put in another guy" about Hedlund who was he talking about? Maybe I'm misinformed here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 13, 2017, 12:03:17 pm
Ok I'll pretend for a second you aren't being a smart ass.

If he didn't say: "Kicking game, we may either just go for it all the time or put in another guy" about Hedlund who was he talking about? Maybe I'm misinformed here.

There's no doubt you're misinformed here. Probably purposefully.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 12:13:03 pm
There's no doubt you're misinformed here. Probably purposefully.
Purposefully? No. Like I told you it doesn't bother me what he said. You are being purposefully obtuse when I actually took you seriously for a split second. This is how you and your buddies on here act when you have no answer...attack the poster instead of addressing the evidence.

I throw an exact quote your way and all you can do is deflect away from it or simply ignore it. If you reply back to me I'll be shocked if you actually address the quote at hand and who he was referring to. You said he said nothing of the sort about Hedlund. I'm all ears who he was actually referring to.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Großer Kriegschwein

Coaches commenting on players in press conferences.

I thought that is what they do.

Maybe I'm mistaken.
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 13, 2017, 12:34:56 pm
Purposefully? No. Like I told you it doesn't bother me what he said. You are being purposefully obtuse when I actually took you seriously for a split second. This is how you and your buddies on here act when you have no answer...attack the poster instead of addressing the evidence.

I throw an exact quote your way and all you can do is deflect away from it or simply ignore it. If you reply back to me I'll be shocked if you actually address the quote at hand and who he was referring to. You said he said nothing of the sort about Hedlund. I'm all ears who he was actually referring to.

The exact quote didn't say what the poster claimed it did. If you want to argue about that go for it. I realized a few posts ago that it wasn't about what he actually said for you. You're playing the same game everyone else is. Get pissed about winning, make up darn to be upset about.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 12:37:10 pm
The exact quote didn't say what the poster claimed it did. If you want to argue about that go for it. I realized a few posts ago that it wasn't about what he actually said for you. You're playing the same game everyone else is. Get pissed about winning, make up darn to be upset about.
Pissed about winning? That makes no sense. What did we win here? I want the Hogs to WIN. My problem is when we LOSE...which just so happens to be the norm in the Bielema era. I simply see you guys bending over backwards to defend Bielema at all costs. In this case I don't personally see what there is to defend. Kid couldn't make a chip shot fg and got called out. Who is coaching him is my question? But that's a different topic.

You are arguing extreme minor semantics. Not surprising because in the years I've seen you post on here you are the type "that's never wrong." What ex-trumpet said echoed 99.9% close to what Bielema said. It wasn't exact quote/word for word what Bielema said is all you have left to cling to. The two quotes I showed you prove it. Finding another kicker and or simply going for it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 13, 2017, 01:35:43 pm
Pissed about winning? That makes no sense. What did we win here? I want the Hogs to WIN. My problem is when we LOSE...which just so happens to be the norm in the Bielema era. I simply see you guys bending over backwards to defend Bielema at all costs. In this case I don't personally see what there is to defend. Kid couldn't make a chip shot fg and got called out. Who is coaching him is my question? But that's a different topic.

You are arguing extreme minor semantics. Not surprising because in the years I've seen you post on here you are the type "that's never wrong." What ex-trumpet said echoed 99.9% close to what Bielema said. It wasn't exact quote/word for word what Bielema said is all you have left to cling to. The two quotes I showed you prove it. Finding another kicker and or simply going for it.

While I'm flattered that you've got my posting style so defined in your mind, the two quotes you posted proved that he didn't say what the poster said he did.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 01:40:35 pm
While I'm flattered that you've got my posting style so defined in your mind, the two quotes you posted proved that he didn't say what the poster said he did.
To state that Bielema didn't suggest going for it on 4th down from now on or that he's done with Hedlund is being a dishonest spinster.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ShadowHawg

The SEC Network guys called CBB on mishandling the comments about Hedlund. They have all either played, coached, or covered college football.

I'll take it that they are better versed about what should and shouldn't take place with regard to how CBB handled his comments over some message board apologists.

razortrack

We should have given him a participation trophy for trying. Next Tim CBB needs to give him a big hug and comfort him. We have 19 year olds in life and death situations in Afghanistan.

razortrack

We should have given him a participation trophy for his efforts!!!  Jeez. 19 year old kids are fighting in Afghanistan.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 13, 2017, 02:54:17 pm
The SEC Network guys called CBB on mishandling the comments about Hedlund. They have all either played, coached, or covered college football.

I'll take it that they are better versed about what should and shouldn't take place with regard to how CBB handled his comments over some message board apologists.

Having played and coached, I am disappointed the way Bielema handled it but things change, so after a few days to think about it I am willing to wait and see how all of this plays out. I believe Cole has screwed the pooch on field goals but remember this, he has not missed an extra point since the ninth grade 90 of 90 as a Hog and 157 in a row in high school. I have played and coached in games where a missed extra point has cost us games. Additionally Cole kicked 85% of his kickoffs for touchbacks in high school. He has not even been given a chance at that by Bielema. Does anybody remember the Alabama game in 2014 we lost 14-13 by a missed extra point by John Henson. Has Bielema forgotten that?

hawgsak

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2017, 07:52:21 pm
Did Bret do the right thing?
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/no-right-way-for-bielema-to-handle-hedlund-situation/808537456

Take ultimate ownership of performance as the HC and don't single out a single facet of the game but rather focus on the cumulative effort overall. He mentioned the kid's FG% I believe, which I think is about 58%. If I were a reporter I would've roasted CBB's fat ass by calling out his .49 winning % as the Hogs HC. If the kicker loses his job strictly based on performance outcomes then why is the HC not held to those same standards?!

Just my thoughts...

factchecker

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 14, 2017, 01:44:48 pm
Does anybody remember the Alabama game in 2014 we lost 14-13 by a missed extra point by John Henson. Has Bielema forgotten that?

The kick was blocked not missed...... Did you forget that?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 14, 2017, 01:44:48 pm
Additionally Cole kicked 85% of his kickoffs for touchbacks in high school. He has not even been given a chance at that by Bielema.

Cole has had kickoff duties 5 times since he's been on our team.

0 went for touchbacks.

The average kickoff went 32 yards.   That is bad.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hey BB, how about get Cole aside, tell him you love him and need him and want him to get back on track.  I see a Kid waaaay over trying.  Actually BB, get involved yourself, work with the Kid, the snapper and just you.  Hold them out of regular practice and put 2 hours into just them on the kicking he needs to worry about.  Build yourself a kicker.  You got the makings, use it.  Learn what 2 hours with your attention can do for a couple of Kids.  You will be most surprised.  Try it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 12247 on September 14, 2017, 05:24:09 pm
Hey BB, how about get Cole aside, tell him you love him and need him and want him to get back on track.  I see a Kid waaaay over trying.  Actually BB, get involved yourself, work with the Kid, the snapper and just you.  Hold them out of regular practice and put 2 hours into just them on the kicking he needs to worry about.  Build yourself a kicker.  You got the makings, use it.  Learn what 2 hours with your attention can do for a couple of Kids.  You will be most surprised.  Try it.

You're assuming it hasn't happen. CBB has gone to bat for a hedlund repeatedly.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2017, 07:18:25 pm
You're assuming it hasn't happen. CBB has gone to bat for a hedlund repeatedly.

Not during his presser last Saturday.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 11, 2017, 12:42:13 pm
Here's what he could have said:

Asked about the kicking failures, Bielema said, ``Well, that's a hard question. We always grade every aspect of each game, and we will go back and look at every play and look for ways to make some solid improvements.''

``The failures were just not about kicking. We need to go back and see what happened in the series leading up to the kicks. We really need to punch the ball across the goal line and score touchdowns -- that is our goal. Then kick the extra points.''

``There's never any one reason for a loss in a quarter or a game. This is a team game where the execution by every player on the field matters. We will go back and make sure we get the execution better.''

``Next question?''

Normally that's what a smart coach would say.

rickfahr

I have an entirely different point of view on this issue.

These men are not kids. There is a reason high school football players are called "boys" and college players are called "men".

By a strict definition, too, they are professionals. They are getting paid to play a sport. They work on their craft for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours each year.

This is not intramurals we're talking about.

So, I have no issue with a coach calling out obvious incompetence.

Beyond that, some comments suggested that media folks calling out Bielema for calling out the kicker shows the coach was wrong. Question: How many of you folks who used the media as proof for your position would, in the next breath, say the media is fake news? Can't have it both ways; well, I guess you can, but you're a fraud if you do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: rickfahr on September 16, 2017, 01:06:27 pm
I have an entirely different point of view on this issue.

These men are not kids. There is a reason high school football players are called "boys" and college players are called "men".

By a strict definition, too, they are professionals. They are getting paid to play a sport. They work on their craft for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours each year.

This is not intramurals we're talking about.

So, I have no issue with a coach calling out obvious incompetence.

Beyond that, some comments suggested that media folks calling out Bielema for calling out the kicker shows the coach was wrong. Question: How many of you folks who used the media as proof for your position would, in the next breath, say the media is fake news? Can't have it both ways; well, I guess you can, but you're a fraud if you do.

There's some truth there.

Pigsknuckles

Some here may find a successful career with CNN. Maybe even the National Enquirer.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hogginbama

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 11, 2017, 08:49:22 am
including the fans who booed when  Hedlund trotted on the field.

This speaks volumes about fans. Berate the coach for calling the player out, but boo the kid as he comes on the field for #2. Bet those boos did a lot to help his confidence.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogginbama on September 17, 2017, 02:01:50 am
This speaks volumes about fans. Berate the coach for calling the player out, but boo the kid as he comes on the field for #2. Bet those boos did a lot to help his confidence.
Were the booing Hedlund or the decision to kick?

HotlantaHog