Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Dallas Morning News sports experts have weighed in...

Started by Locutus_of_Boar, September 08, 2017, 08:42:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:26:51 am
What worried me when I first saw the line on the game was that we were the underdog. I cannot think of many times when we were underdogs to a team that we had beaten the previous year at their place and when they come to our place the following year we beat them as underdogs. I have a bad feeling about this game. Oh, we'll get better in a few games and have our usual 6-6 or 7-5 season. But this is one game that we are likely to lose. I make the score, Frogs-42   Hogs-17     and I so hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

What you do is set yourself up so you have no vesting in the Razorbacks. If we win, you can say you are happy. If we lose, you can brag about it here, and stroke yourself about how smart you are. I don't really have a problem with that. I think it is a good strategy for weak individuals. Good luck with it and I'm glad you will feel good about yourself on Saturday night, no matter what happens.

hogman64

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 08, 2017, 01:43:14 pm
I'm not sure how this thing is going to shake, but I'll address your points, which on the surface seem valid. 
-RW3 was a beast, but at this time last year Devwah wasn't even a factor and there was no Chase Hayden.  I don't think there will be much drop off in RB production as long as we get a little blocking.
-The WRs is truly a glaring question and really the only big loss to me from this point last season. 
-The defensive change is something that I view as a plus and not a negative.  We can't be any worse than we played last year late in that game.  Jesus, Hill rolled up 200+ passing in the 4th qtr alone last year.
-Pulley was an un-proven replacement that was moved into playing time from the KRich injury last season.  He was a good player at this point, but not at the level he was during the end of last season and the beginning of this year. 

All of those things on the surface would seem to indicate a TCU rout.  When you dig a little deeper, you realize that maybe things aren't that bad.  As you noted, this game will depend on what the 3 RBs do, whether the WRs get open, how Curl adjusts, and whether the defense can be something more than the speed bump it was last year.  I would say that I feel really good about the RBs and overall D improvement.  The jury is still out on the WRs and Curl IMO. 

you make  good well thought out points and I am with you on all of them... I just meant I can sure see why home town sports writers are ALL picking TCU.. they are not idiots to do it, but that doesn't mean they cant be wrong and of course I would love for them to  make it two years in a row of bad predicting...........

al_pigcino

alohawg

Hogs will be king of the Hill and the frogs will croak.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

daprospecta

TCU is a team we should beat especially at home with a defense that has the fire it lacked at times last year.  I really don't want to hear any excuses if we lose. I'm to the point now that unless we play terrible, I'm expecting us to beat teams we should beat.  TCU is one of those teams.

Jimbob111

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:41:07 am
Another sobering fact, we are underdogs at home to a Big 12 team who is not that great in Bielema's 5th season. Tell the truth, would you ever have thought that we'd be considered inferior to any program in the Big 12 besides OU or maybe Texas going in to Bret's 5th season ?  Really, not a good sign.

Yep. In Beliema's 5th season. With all his players. It just doesn't make sense to me that the Hogs are underdogs, at home, to TCU, when CBB is in his 5th year with all his own players and assistants that he is able to pay like he said he couldn't at Wisconsin.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

LumberBacks

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 08, 2017, 09:08:33 am
People from Texas are idiots. It's to be expected.
You mean the idiot Texans like me who actually have my name on the 80s stretch of sidewalk and more than 5000 current students at the UofA?   The 2017 freshman class has more non-residents than residents.  Let that sink in, idiot.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 08, 2017, 03:46:25 pm
What you do is set yourself up so you have no vesting in the Razorbacks. If we win, you can say you are happy. If we lose, you can brag about it here, and stroke yourself about how smart you are. I don't really have a problem with that. I think it is a good strategy for weak individuals. Good luck with it and I'm glad you will feel good about yourself on Saturday night, no matter what happens.

I think you are 100% correct with this statement.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on September 08, 2017, 05:46:41 pm
I think you are 100% correct with this statement.
Exactly...just another loud mouthed know nothing.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LumberBacks on September 08, 2017, 05:42:04 pm
You mean the idiot Texans like me who actually have my name on the 80s stretch of sidewalk and more than 5000 current students at the UofA?   The 2017 freshman class has more non-residents than residents.  Let that sink in, idiot.

Aw, he got mad. Texas sucks. At everything. Be glad you came to Arkansas to find out what awesome looks like.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Pudgepork on September 08, 2017, 12:23:18 pm
Tcu is getting much respect because of those 17 starters back on a Sr laden team.  Also Pattersons very good record of having very good years after a rare down year.  All the sports guys can talk about is that tcu went 12-1 the last time following a bad year

in a nutshell, and particularly after reading all the posts prior to yours, i think you've nailed it quite accurately.

add to that, that arkansas is still considered a power team, whether accurate or not. power teams have the reputation of not being able to come from behind. (even though we came from behind last year on the road, AGAINST THIS TEAM. it's ironic.).

our OL should be improved in this game vs our OL in the game last year.

new defensive scheme

new WRs.

but the kicker in the spread is, in my opinion, the reputational flash teams are always jacked in the spread.
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 08, 2017, 06:45:28 pm
Aw, he got mad. Texas sucks. At everything. Be glad you came to Arkansas to find out what awesome looks like.

one of my daughters goes to another SEC school. one of her sorority sisters is from dallas. the dallas girl trashes the TACO BELLS in her college state [NOT in texas], because "the TACO BELLS in texas are soooo much better"
The rest of the frog.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 08, 2017, 07:12:25 pm
one of my daughters goes to another SEC school. one of her sorority sisters is from dallas. the dallas girl trashes the TACO BELLS in her college state [NOT in texas], because "the TACO BELLS in texas are soooo much better"

I feel bad for anyone going to taco bell for "good" food.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: LumberBacks on September 08, 2017, 05:42:04 pm

You are going to need a lot thicker skin to last around here.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

Texans think everything about Texas is amazing. They love Texas so much that every hotel i Texas has antexas shaped waffle maker at the free breakfast.

hawgbawb

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

HamSammich

Quote from: alohawg on September 08, 2017, 04:41:32 pm
Hogs will be king of the Hill and the frogs will croak.

I see what you did there Walt Whitman

AlmaHog2011

What worried me when I first saw the line on the game was that we were the underdog. I cannot think of many times when we were underdogs to a team that we had beaten the previous year at their place and when they come to our place the following year we beat them as underdogs. I have a bad feeling about this game. Oh, we'll get better in a few games and have our usual 6-6 or 7-5 season. But this is one game that we are likely to lose. I make the score, Frogs-42   Hogs-17     and I so hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

Did you call into the Bo Mattingly show and predict 42-17?

Michael_E_Davis

If we don't somehow improve 'dramatically' from the first game...  there is no way we are winning this game, folks.  In fact, it could get ugly.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

oldhawg

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 08, 2017, 09:28:17 pm
If we don't somehow improve 'dramatically' from the first game...  there is no way we are winning this game, folks.  In fact, it could get ugly.

Interestingly, the same thing was said following last year's opening 21-20 win over Louisiana Tech.  Let's see how it plays out.  Much like last year I do expect it to be close, though, not "ugly" for either team. 

PorkSoda

A Texas newspaper predicted a Texas team winning?  say it aint so!
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LumberBacks

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 08, 2017, 06:45:28 pm
Insert your pic, chode.
A man, small in stature, who attempts to overcome the way he believes other people perceive him (as a diminutive character) by 1) attaching himself to authority figures, 2) trying to manipulate himself into positions of control, 3) migrating toward positions of leadership, and 4) having a fairly volatile temper.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 08, 2017, 03:46:25 pm
I have never nor will I ever brag in any shape or form about any loss by a UA athletic team. I take offense with you saying such a thing. You are talking to a kid who at 9 years old went to his first Razorback game December 6th, 1969 with my father. We sat on the 50 yard line about 20 rows up. My Dad was a State Representative representing Ouachita County in SW Arkansas and in those days legislators got two complimentary tickets to all Hog football games. So my Dad took me to see the most hurtful loss in UA football history. It was a 5 hour drive home, I cried 4 of the 5 hours. I don't need anyone even remotely implying that I manipulate my post so I can brag when I say we will lose and be happy when the Hogs win. Deep inside I'm still that 9 year old boy when it comes to Arkansas football. So take that and stick it down your pipe and smoke it.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on September 08, 2017, 07:49:07 pm
Did you call into the Bo Mattingly show and predict 42-17?
no, but I have talked to Bo on occasion...I dazzled him one day with how quickly I ordered my Latte at Starbucks...I was on hold to speak to Bo while in the Starbucks drive through line, just as I got to the drive through speaker and menu, Bo chose my call which was on hold. I asked him if I could finish ordering and he laughed and said yes. So now I'm the "Starbucks Guy" on Bo's show. Negative on the call in and predicting an L. Haven't talked to Bo in two or three weeks.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LumberBacks on September 08, 2017, 09:47:13 pm
Insert your pic, chode.
A man, small in stature, who attempts to overcome the way he believes other people perceive him (as a diminutive character) by 1) attaching himself to authority figures, 2) trying to manipulate himself into positions of control, 3) migrating toward positions of leadership, and 4) having a fairly volatile temper.

Lol.  ::hornsdown::

Stop snowflaking.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 10:38:21 pm
I have never nor will I ever brag in any shape or form about any loss by a UA athletic team. I take offense with you saying such a thing. You are talking to a kid who at 9 years old went to his first Razorback game December 6th, 1969 with my father. We sat on the 50 yard line about 20 rows up. My Dad was a State Representative representing Ouachita County in SW Arkansas and in those days legislators got two complimentary tickets to all Hog football games. So my Dad took me to see the most hurtful loss in UA football history. It was a 5 hour drive home, I cried 4 of the 5 hours. I don't need anyone even remotely implying that I manipulate my post so I can brag when I say we will lose and be happy when the Hogs win. Deep inside I'm still that 9 year old boy when it comes to Arkansas football. So take that and stick it down your pipe and smoke it.

You obviously don't remember being 9. No way a 9 year old hog fan can see their hog team lose prior to the game being played regardless of the opponent.

HamSammich

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 08, 2017, 11:28:04 pm
Lol.  ::hornsdown::

Stop snowflaking.

Oooooo. Hey called you a name??? You gonna take that??? All of Texas depends on you. Don't let this dip win!!!

Hogville at its usual..... which is its finest

hobhog

Nothing matters other than the score after 5pm tomorrow. We are the underdog at home. Just wn or they are all right.....

tee1up2par

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

RagingHawgOn

lasthog

Vegas isn t in the business of picking games; They set lines to even the action.

Relax, Hogs by10. ;)

lasthog

Has she weighed in on the Motel 6's?

AugustaHog

Quote from: hogman64 on September 08, 2017, 04:23:45 pm
you make  good well thought out points and I am with you on all of them... I just meant I can sure see why home town sports writers are ALL picking TCU.. they are not idiots to do it, but that doesn't mean they cant be wrong and of course I would love for them to  make it two years in a row of bad predicting...........
Hopefully so!  I think think the reason we are getting less than zero love are the perceptions you are highlighting.  Mizzou and USCe are getting more props than us for heaven's sake.  We owe all that to ourselves and those last two games though.  I guess it's easy to see how an outsider would look at this team and write it off quickly.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 10:38:21 pm

May Dad took me to see us beat Oklahoma State 14-10 in 1966, and I cried after the pooch kick game, so you're 1969 trip doesn't overly impress me, but you were certainly a true fan then.

I didn't mean to remotely imply that you manipulate your post so you can brag if we lose and be happy if you win. I was just saying that straight outright. And it's really not about your post, it's all your posts. You set yourself up to feel good if we lose and can still feel happy if we win. It's pretty standard sports fan psychology and behavior. Hope you enjoy the game! (You've set yourself up to, you won't have another hurtful loss, no matter what the outcome.)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201112/the-psychology-sports-fans

Bacons Rebellion

And actually, I see TCU having some disturbing matchups against us, and I think at best its 50/50 for us.

Porkys Revenge

If TCU beats us at our place in CBB's 5th year, is it time for him to step aside?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on September 09, 2017, 07:35:18 am
If TCU beats us at our place in CBB's 5th year, is it time for him to step aside?

Not until after next season.
Go Hogs Go!

Deep Shoat

Why do people keep asking this?  He's here until the '18 season is over. 

Suck it up, root for the Hogs, and stop being miserable.  We will either be winning at a solid level or we will be hiring another coach you can hate.
All Gas, No Brakes!

redneckfriend

This is always the simple minded answer. Bielema came to Arkansas at a time of turmoil in the program and he left Wisconsin as a very successful coach. So, if after five seasons, he was fired what message would that send to other coaches? Essentially that Arkansas is a hopeless situation. Long would be in a position of hoping he could convince some 35 year old Sun Belt coach to come here and, after John Pelfrey, we know how that turns out. Long isn't stupid, in fact he seems quite the opposite. He knows two things that should be evident to everyone: Bielema needs to win more to satisfy the fan base and how hard that is at Arkansas- a small state tucked away between more populous states with better recruiting bases and their own strong, flagship programs.

He will fire Bielema in time if he isn't more successful but only after he is fairly sure he can get someone who has a chance of doing better. He won't fire him in a fit of pique and cut off his nose to spite his face like a lot of fans seem to intent on doing.