Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sources: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 06, 2017, 12:07:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 06, 2017, 02:14:03 pm
then why isn't it happening now.  if a player is THAT good why doesn't Bama just recruit a few guys, have them sit out a year and be eligible to play?

how yeah, because they are already stocked with 5 stars, they can only have 85 players, same as anyone else.

Because they'd have to sit out a year.  That's the point.  If they didn't, Bama could just process any busts and pick up a xfer from anywhere to replace them. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:41:28 pm
I think it should be allowed if your HC leaves.  Other than that, keep it the same.  JMO.

I am with Wildhog if your coach leaves yes but other wise you set a year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HamSammich on September 06, 2017, 01:54:29 pm
Strangely I'm not opposed to this. I think coaches making kids promises and becoming their "friends" in two years of recruiting and then leaving for another coaching job is criminal.

However after typing this I can see how coaches could use this to hold schools even more hostage for $$. Like a tom Herman saying "if you let me leave for another school I'm taking my two five stars with me"

So maybe this needs to be thought out more.

That's why you don't commit to a coach you commit to the school.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 02:15:56 pm
Because they'd have to sit out a year.  That's the point.  If they didn't, Bama could just process any busts and pick up a xfer from anywhere to replace them. 
don't get me wrong, I think you do have valid points.  I would like to see it written in such a way as to benefit players, while restricting schools from taking advantage of the rule.  that may be a pipe dream.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 06, 2017, 02:14:03 pm
then why isn't it happening now.  if a player is THAT good why doesn't Bama just recruit a few guys, have them sit out a year and be eligible to play?

how yeah, because they are already stocked with 5 stars, they can only have 85 players, same as anyone else.

Nick Saban, the man who has a plan for everything surveys his conference foes for the next year at some point in the future.  He decides that a tough game at Arkansas represents his best chance at losing in the conference.  Arkansas' best player is a beast of a defensive end who causes havoc to opposing offenses and was a player who had Alabama as his second pick.  He is good enough to start at any SEC school including Alabama.

Suddenly an Alabama booster offers him a cool $500k to come to Bama and win a championship. 

Make that rule change and you'll have the potential for perpetual recruiting and perpetual recruiting violations.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

sowmonella

Ole Miss is already arranging a loan from a local Oxfart bank in preparation.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Smokehouse

The elite schools will always find a way to maximize their benefits and screw over smaller schools with whatever rule is in place. I'm not too concerned about it; even if a new rule benefited smaller schools the select handful of programs would find a way to flip it eventually. Now they can stash 4- and 5-stars who don't want to sit out a year, under some relaxed transfer rule they'd be recruiting players.

Just do whatever maximizes the benefits for the players, then slap some rules on it (doesn't apply within conference or a team on the school's schedule the next year, only applicable when the head coach or immediate position coach leaves, heavy punishments if records are found that a school recruited a player before he declared his intent to transfer, whatever) to try and mitigate any potential harms.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

sickboy

I'm in favor. I don't think it's ethical to put the institutions of the world against the interest of the individual. Without the individuals, there would be no institution. Taking a year of a kid's eligibility when he feels the need to go play somewhere else is protecting the institution over the player.

I realize that this will create ancillary problems, as mentioned in this thread, but I don't really care. Let those problems come and then address them as needed. At the moment, the system is skewed against the players when it comes to letting them choose what's best for them and their careers. That's a big problem.

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 02:21:17 pm
Nick Saban, the man who has a plan for everything surveys his conference foes for the next year at some point in the future.  He decides that a tough game at Arkansas represents his best chance at losing in the conference.  Arkansas' best player is a beast of a defensive end who causes havoc to opposing offenses and was a player who had Alabama as his second pick.  He is good enough to start at any SEC school including Alabama.

Suddenly an Alabama booster offers him a cool $500k to come to Bama and win a championship. 

Make that rule change and you'll have the potential for perpetual recruiting and perpetual recruiting violations.
That would be illegal, just like it is now.

hog of steele

This helps bama/mich/ohiost/other great schools more than anybody.

If they have a sudden need at a position, they can hint to any kid in all of college football that it might be a good idea to transfer. If the transfers are truly free, you will see a kentucky like thing going on at the best schools.

Other P5 schools will get some of that but I don't think we will get enough to make any progress on the big dogs. Also we will get some filter down kids.

If they are going to do this, they should at least count new transfers against the current class number. Make it cost something to drop and add kids.

All that said, I am for it. Let the kids be free.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sickboy on September 06, 2017, 05:08:18 pm
I'm in favor. I don't think it's ethical to put the institutions of the world against the interest of the individual. Without the individuals, there would be no institution. Taking a year of a kid's eligibility when he feels the need to go play somewhere else is protecting the institution over the player.

I realize that this will create ancillary problems, as mentioned in this thread, but I don't really care. Let those problems come and then address them as needed. At the moment, the system is skewed against the players when it comes to letting them choose what's best for them and their careers. That's a big problem.

I'm o.k. with it subject to the following qualifications.

1. Must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in hours that will successfully transfer to the receiving school.
2. Must not be listed in the two deep of any roster (teams could not use "Jimmy Joe or Billy Bob" in a two deep position listing to avoid this restriction).
3. Must have spent a minimum of two years at original school (does not apply in cases of changes in HC's) and could include a R/S year.
4. Only one P-5 transfer is allowable within a span of 4 years of eligibility.
5. The school of destination cannot be any in-conference school or any OOC school currently contracted as a future opponent.
6. The Student Athlete is required to notify the current HC/AD office in writing of his/her intent to contact and transfer to a potential receiving school, at least 7 days in advance of any contact that is initiated by the Student Athlete.

But be forewarned. If this passes into a rule, the next thing to come up will be allowing players to go "one and done" like basketball.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 06, 2017, 12:31:18 pm
I'll bet that there would still be conditions attached to the release as to where a kid could transfer.

Yes, I would think the school would still have to release him for immediate transfer.  Menaing if a student transferred from Texas Tech, he could immediately play for any team Texas Tech released him from.

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 06, 2017, 05:58:36 pm
But be forewarned. If this passes into a rule, the next thing to come up will be allowing players to go "one and done" like basketball.

That's not up to the NCAA, though.  Isn't the 'three years removed from high school' rule an NFL thing?
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 06:06:23 pm
That's not up to the NCAA, though.  Isn't the 'three years removed from high school' rule an NFL thing?

I'm not sure. I know the NFL cooperates in that manner, so you are probably right.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 06:06:23 pm

It is in the CBA between owners and the NFLPA

cstrickl21

I hope it passes. How many times have you seen a kid with potential get buried in the depth chart and never see the field in 4 or 5 years. Give the kid and option to transfer and play.

Wildhog

Quote from: cstrickl21 on September 06, 2017, 06:33:54 pm
I hope it passes. How many times have you seen a kid with potential get buried in the depth chart and never see the field in 4 or 5 years. Give the kid and option to transfer and play.

He has the option to transfer. 

I don't think programs should be able to restrict which schools a kid can transfer to, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

NuttinItUp

PorkRinds

They would at least have to restrict transfers within conference. You could have a kid that goes to a conference rival and knows the whole playbook.

sickboy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 06, 2017, 06:47:01 pm
Next step towards paying college athletes?

No, I don't think so. That's an entirely different convo. One which will also be discussed.

twistitup

I say we start trading players in college - we need 5* Lb,  so we trade to get one

Players must agree to trade.  Each player will be more valuable not on sideline for new team
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

sickboy

Quote from: twistitup on September 06, 2017, 07:32:04 pm
I say we start trading players in college - we need 5* Lb,  so we trade to get one

Players must agree to trade.  Each player will be more valuable not on sideline for new team

I think they should just pay players and do a draft for the P5. These teams can be associated with the University, but owned independently. Let's just make a legit farm system for the NFL.

MuskogeeHogFan

Getting back on topic and away from notions of turning it into the NFL, I think it would be fine given these restrictions for both the player and the school.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 06, 2017, 05:58:36 pm
I'm o.k. with it subject to the following qualifications.

1. Must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in hours that will successfully transfer to the receiving school.
2. Must not be listed in the two deep of any roster (teams could not use "Jimmy Joe or Billy Bob" in a two deep position listing to avoid this restriction).
3. Must have spent a minimum of two years at original school (does not apply in cases of changes in HC's) and could include a R/S year.
4. Only one P-5 transfer is allowable within a span of 4 years of eligibility.
5. The school of destination cannot be any in-conference school or any OOC school currently contracted as a future opponent.
6. The Student Athlete is required to notify the current HC/AD office in writing of his/her intent to contact and transfer to a potential receiving school, at least 7 days in advance of any contact that is initiated by the Student Athlete.

Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: sickboy on September 06, 2017, 07:43:40 pm
I think they should just pay players and do a draft for the P5. These teams can be associated with the University, but owned independently. Let's just make a legit farm system for the NFL.

I agree with this.

Transferring isn't usually very good for graduating, but for most programs out there, the academic success of the student athletes is only important in terms of keeping them eligible to play.

Haven't heard any of these stories from profs or fellow grad students at OSU, but down the road in eugene, there's definitely been plenty chocolating of the grades.

Further, at most schools, it puts a financial burden on the students whom most don't care about the football team. I'll be the first to argue that there's plenty of fees paid by students for all kinds of things they don't use by their own choices that provides a benefit for those that do.

However, college football and basketball as they currently stand have nothing to do with university. While we are spoiled to have a program that doesn't operate on a loss, there's only about 20 programs that can say the same and we shouldn't be neglecting academics to fund football at the other 100 FBS programs that don't turn a profit.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Sivad

Quote from: sowmonella on September 06, 2017, 04:00:16 pm
Ole Miss is already arranging a loan from a local Oxfart bank in preparation.
Like Archie said - "Oxford recruits itself."

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:32:40 pm
Well, that'd pretty much destroy college football as we know it.

It is already basically destroyed.

The 85 scholarship limitation has watered it down.  That has led to just a few elite programs (4 or 5) and a huge gap to the rest (the wannabes).

The huge money being paid to teams in a few conferences has led to some football programs being complacent, and too accepting of mediocrity.  It has also led to wasteful spending by some football programs on unnecessary aspects, such as stadium expansions.  Some programs don't need to be doing stadium expansions.

It has become just a recruiting game (Steve Spurrier referred to that when he resigned).  It becoming just a recruiting game has led to a lot of mediocrity in regards to coaching being done by coaches.  There is less coaching skills now than years ago because of the recruiting taking over the game.   

luke hawg

This is an easy fix. There is a minimum GPA of 3.0 with 30 hours requirement of student athletes to be eligible for transfer. If your grades aren't good enough after 30 hrs, hit the books. If you letter in at a particular school, you aren't eligible until after graduation. Why not bring back the student athlete? This would be good for footballs image and level the playing field a lot which needs to happen.

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 06, 2017, 07:55:55 pm
Getting back on topic and away from notions of turning it into the NFL, I think it would be fine given these restrictions for both the player and the school.

You're gonna have coaches trying to lower the grades of transfer risks, lol. 

"Our team GPA is 2.4!"

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Or they'll make classes really hard to transfer, somehow.
1909/1964/1965/1977

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 12:13:10 pm
Oh, sounds great.  Sure, let everyone be a farm school for Nick Saban.  He could let a kid that he was little iffy on, go to another school and see if he pans out there.  Then if the kid was any good, he could swoop in and bring him to Bama to win a championship.  Yeah, that sounds awesome.

Exactly my thoughts

Bacons Rebellion

I agree with the "kill college football" side. I think you would see even more bifurcation into haves and have nots.

Hawghiggs

Love this idea. Gives a player a second chance without being penalized.

Bacons Rebellion

I wouldn't be as opposed if transfers had one transfer to use where they could sit out WITHOUT losing a year of eligibility.

Just free transfer is so open to abuse by everyone.

Hugo Bezdek

I'm for this move in principle, but I would want to see a limit on the number of transfers any one program could take each year. As long as a kid is maintaining progress toward a legitimate degree he should have more options than today, but we don't need a completely unchecked free agency system in college athletics.

3kgthog

I didn't see anything about them changing a school's ability to block transfers or limit where kids can transfer to. What happens if a school doesn't grant a release or bars a kid from transferring to Bama (as many of you fear) as a condition of a release? Will the current rules in place still apply for those types of situations?

Gonzo

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 12:28:45 pm
Five stars don't go to Bama to play right away.  They go to win championships.  They know there are other five stars already there.  It wouldn't work the way you think.  What would happen is that Nick would get to purge his roster of those four and five stars who didn't pan out and then cherry pick the ones he wanted from other schools.

There's no one right answer for all these kids, some go wherever they go for one reason, some for another. The same would likely be true with this new rule, some would transfer for playing time, some for championships, some for other reasons. Not that much different from the current recruiting scene. I suspect it would not change the landscape all that much.

Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 07, 2017, 08:27:30 am
I didn't see anything about them changing a school's ability to block transfers or limit where kids can transfer to. What happens if a school doesn't grant a release or bars a kid from transferring to Bama (as many of you fear) as a condition of a release? Will the current rules in place still apply for those types of situations?

If, and it seems like a big IF, the NCAA votes to approve this transfer rule change, I would bet that there would be several rules that would govern the ability to transfer and one of those would most likely be a limitation that a kid could not transfer to any in-conference school or any OOC school that is currently scheduled or contracted for play in the years of eligibility that the player would have remaining.

It might even be expanded so that a player could transfer to an in-conference school provided the school from which they transfer doesn't play the school to which they are transferring during the remaining term of eligibility of the player.
Go Hogs Go!

HappyFan

So NCAA College Football will become NCAA Minor League Football. Hmm.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Rzbakfromwaybak

This would end up being a disaster, it will encourage transfers.  Longer this went on, the more transfers you would have each year....& harder it would be for coaches to keep the rosters straight. Players would demand to play, & play early, or threaten to transfer.  It would be like a free agency thing every year.  Imagine how complicated recruiting would be to fill & keep a complete team.  You could never be sure on who, & how many you would lose each year. Alabama & some other top teams like that would probably do fine.....the rest could be scrambling every year, to keep their teams together.  The only thing that keeps college football from having a crazy free agency mess, is the rule that says you have to sit out a year & lose that to eligibility.  Take that away, & before long, it will be a mess.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 09, 2017, 12:40:01 am
This would end up being a disaster, it will encourage transfers.  Longer this went on, the more transfers you would have each year....& harder it would be for coaches to keep the rosters straight. Players would demand to play, & play early, or threaten to transfer.  It would be like a free agency thing every year.  Imagine how complicated recruiting would be to fill & keep a complete team.  You could never be sure on who, & how many you would lose each year. Alabama & some other top teams like that would probably do fine.....the rest could be scrambling every year, to keep their teams together.  The only thing that keeps college football from having a crazy free agency mess, is the rule that says you have to sit out a year & lose that to eligibility.  Take that away, & before long, it will be a mess.

This would not be the equivalent of "carte blanche" when it comes to players transferring. There will be certain rules that must be adhered to in order to be eligible for transfer. In the article one of the concerns of the committee was GPA because they understand that transferring can sometimes make it more difficult for a player to graduate.

There may be qualifications that have to be met like having to have a 3.0 or 2.75 average in hours that transfer. That might limit a lot of transfers. There would most likely be a rule that limits a player to one transfer among Div I schools and either the NCAA would mandate or leave it up to the schools (with limitations) to maintain the authority to limit the schools to which a player could transfer (conference schools or scheduled schools). Additionally there would have to be a rule that didn't allow schools to recruit players currently on another schools roster. Contact would have to be initiated by the player and the player would need to notify his school of his intent to begin the transfer process at least a week in advance of contact with any potential receiving school.

Those are just examples that might be implemented to limit the transfer process. It wouldn't be a "free-for-all" like many are thinking.
Go Hogs Go!

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on September 06, 2017, 12:31:56 pm
I could be wrong, but I see this benefiting the Alabama's & Ohio State's more than us.
Exactly.

As of now, high school graduation is the 'choke-point' of recruiting. That means that, for the most part, the successful players are the ones who physically mature early. Those who begin to fill out later, although they may be great athletes who come into their own at 22, but out of the loop at 18.

Only because I don't keep up with the wide world of college football, let me use Scottie Pippin as an example. Imagine Calipari recruiting Pippen away from UCA as a senior. What kind of shenanigans would be going on during his junior season as offers continually popped up during the season. Sure, the rules say no contact; rules, schmules.

This unfettered rule would allow the rich to continue to stockpile the best, later-bloomin talent while 'encouraging' lesser talent to leave. Basically, as someone else put it, free-agency without the enormous contracts; just the lure of playing for Saban or Meyer etc.

And a few players may balk at the 'come-in-and-play-right-away; sure-you'll-beat-out-the-other-stars' argument, most of these guys, having an inflated opinion of themselves and their skills, will be more than happy to listen to the whispering in their ears.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jbcarol

Should the NCAA allow Division I transfer students to be immediately eligible? (AL.com poll via link)

QuoteNCAA is considering a major rule change allowing Division I transfer student-athletes to be immediately eligible if they satisfy a GPA requirement. Currently, students must sit out a year after transferring. Allowing immediate eligibility gives students the chance to make an immediate impact at their new schools, and more freedom. Still, giving them that kind of freedom will cheapen commitments, and put schools in a bind. What do you think?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net