Next1_04

The NewEra

PorkRinds

ke2743

dhizzle

bennyl08

Quote from: ke2743 on September 05, 2017, 01:16:10 pm
How is Florida still ranked?

Same way Florida State is still ranked. Florida played very good defense and lost to a team that could very well be in the playoffs.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Großer Kriegschwein

We received no votes in either poll.

Sweet.

After years of hoping to get higher in the polls, I'm trying a new tactic,  I'm rooting for us to be ranked as poorly as possible after wins. Not cause I dislike anyone, just the other way hasn't ever worked.

Here's to receiving 5 votes for the top 25 next week after beating TCU. Lol.

This is my non-signature signature.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ke2743 on September 05, 2017, 01:16:10 pm
How is Florida still ranked?

This amazed me, too.  Florida looked beyond bad on offense. 

I'm surprised Tennessee didn't move up from 25th.  It's not like Georgia Tech is terrible--I thought that was a good win for the Vols. 

IMO, Neither Washington State nor Louisville will be in this poll at the end.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 05, 2017, 01:24:32 pm
Same way Florida State is still ranked. Florida played very good defense and lost to a team that could very well be in the playoffs.

Alabama would motorboat Michigan.  Florida State with Francois is probably better than Michigan.  Michigan could have as many as 3 losses by the end.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Next1_04

IF we win by at least 14 Saturday I can just see us swapping places with TCU. If we barely win, we may get to 25 1/2.

ZERO

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 05, 2017, 01:27:20 pm

We have 37 votes in the Coaches poll. I think we had five before Florida A&M. It's kind of BS that Kentucky has four votes after beating Southern Miss by one TD while we got completely snubbed. And Florida proves that they're going to be incapable of scoring any points not done by their defense or special teams, yet they only fall five spots to #22. And not that I usually like to stick up for #25 Tennessee, but they had a hard earned victory against a P5 team. #23 Texas losing should have moved up them a spot by default. Instead, they're still at 25 while Notre Dame jumped from NR to #24 for beating a G5 team, and TCU jumps from NR to #23 for beating an FCS team. And Tennessee is still three spots behind Florida???

I wish they'd just do away with polls until the second half of the year. There's no consistency to them.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ZERO on September 05, 2017, 01:53:02 pm
We have 37 votes in the Coaches poll. I think we had five before Florida A&M. It's kind of BS that Kentucky has four votes after beating Southern Miss by one TD while we got completely snubbed. And Florida proves that they're going to be incapable of scoring any points not done by their defense or special teams, yet they only fall five spots to #22. And not that I usually like to stick up for #25 Tennessee, but they had a hard earned victory against a P5 team. #23 Texas losing should have moved up them a spot by default. Instead, they're still at 25 while Notre Dame jumped from NR to #24 for beating a G5 team, and TCU jumps from NR to #23 for beating an FCS team. And Tennessee is still three spots behind Florida???

I wish they'd just do away with polls until the second half of the year. There's no consistency to them.

Whoops, breezed right over it apparently.

ZERO

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 05, 2017, 01:36:31 pm
Alabama would motorboat Michigan.  Florida State with Francois is probably better than Michigan.  Michigan could have as many as 3 losses by the end.

How perfect would this be? Michigan coughs up, what, 7 million a year to bring Harbaugh in, and that would make him 10-3 all three years in a row. Those blue bloods aren't exactly known for their patience.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

bennyl08

We'll find out in time, but I wouldn't bet on it if I were you. There's only two HC's in the country that I'd rather have than Harbaugh, and that's Saban and Meyer.

Don't get me wrong, Mich vs Bama, my money would be on Bama, but don't think they'd motorboat them. I'd wager it would be a tougher game for Bama than FSU was though. In part because even before their qb was injured, FSU was panicking and making a ton of uncharacteristic mistakes.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gchamblee

I personally hope we are underdogs in every game this year and finish 10-2 ranked in the top 15

ZERO

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 05, 2017, 02:08:46 pm
We'll find out in time, but I wouldn't bet on it if I were you. There's only two HC's in the country that I'd rather have than Harbaugh, and that's Saban and Meyer.

I would actually rather have Fisher than Harbaugh. He's done unarguably better in the college ranks than Harbaugh has with no real sign of stopping. I almost think people sort of forget that he won a national title and went to the playoffs the next year.

247Hog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 05, 2017, 02:17:28 pm
I personally hope we are underdogs in every game this year and finish 12-0 and ranked on top
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

bennyl08

Quote from: ZERO on September 05, 2017, 02:21:44 pm
I would actually rather have Fisher than Harbaugh. He's done unarguably better in the college ranks than Harbaugh has with no real sign of stopping. I almost think people sort of forget that he won a national title and went to the playoffs the next year.

Jimbo took over as head coach of a school that hasn't missed a bowl game since 1981 and hasn't had a losing record on the season since 1976. He won two orange bowls. Once against a way overmatch NIU team and the other was as close of a tie to Harbaugh as can happen winning 33 to 32. Lost badly in the rose bowl to a Chip Kelly-less Oregon team. Lost by 14 to Houston in the Chik-Fil-A bowl in 2015. The Auburn team they beat in the national championship team needed near miracles to beat a 6-7 WSU team and a 7-6 MSU team. Barely scraped past an 8-5 OM team and a 9-4 aggie team, and needed outright miracles to win against UGA and Bama. Florida state was favored by 8.5 points in that national championship game and won by 3.

Not trying to diminish Their championship at all. They still won a national championship. They still beat Harbaugh's Michigan team. Fisher is 78-13 at FSU with a .813 winning record.

Harbaugh has a lower career collegiate winning percentage than Bielema. Zero national championships. However, Harbaugh took a Stanford team that had had 2 winning seasons in the past decade, had gone 5 straight seasons without a bowl, and had 3 10 + win seasons in it's entire history as a program (in fact, it's also had 3 10+ loss seasons). In 4 years, he had that team at 12-1 and set up that program to have 10+ win seasons in 4 of the next 6 years after he left. From there, he went to Niners. A team that also hadn't had a winning record since 2002. Losing records in the 8 consecutive seasons leading up to his hiring. His first three years took his team to the NFC championship game each year and the superbowl in his 2nd year. He was fired/left after going 8-8 in his 4th season. Lastly, that brings us to his current job at Michigan. While Michigan absolutely had the prestige that his last stop in college didn't, like the Niners, the program had fallen on hard times when he arrived. Under Lloyd Carr, they never had a losing record, never didn't make a bowl, and from 95-07 had 6 10+ win seasons. In the 7 years following Carr's retirement, they had 3 losing seasons including the season prior, 1 10+ win season in 2011, and had struggled to break .500 going 6.5 and 6 on average over that time span. Enter Harbaugh and they've gone 10-3 both years. Those 6 losses include a 7 point loss to a 10-3 that finished #16 Utah team. 4 point loss to a #7 MSU team that finished the season #6, and a 29 point whooping from OSU that finished #4. The next year, they lost to unranked Iowa on the road by a single point on a last second FG, they lost to OSU by 3 points in double OT, which is virtually a tie, and they lost to Fisher's FSU team by a single point.

Definitely a strong argument to be made for Fisher being the third best. However, considering the context of his own success and who he's had success against compared to Harbaugh, I'd rather have Harbaugh come here than Fisher any day.

Polecat

nm
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

EastexHawg

TCU finishes last year with a losing record, not beating a single team with a winning regular season record, but moves into the top 25 after beating...Jackson State.

Their wins last year were against:

South Dakota State
Iowa State
SMU
Kansas
Baylor (in the middle of Baylor's six game losing streak)
Texas (who also didn't beat a team with a winning record)

Makes perfect sense.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 05, 2017, 02:08:46 pm

Don't get me wrong, Mich vs Bama, my money would be on Bama, but don't think they'd motorboat them. I'd wager it would be a tougher game for Bama than FSU was though. In part because even before their qb was injured, FSU was panicking and making a ton of uncharacteristic mistakes.

They were panicking because they had Alabama defenders closing in on Francois like heat seeking missiles.

31to6

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 05, 2017, 01:34:13 pm
This amazed me, too.  Florida looked beyond bad on offense. 

I'm surprised Tennessee didn't move up from 25th.  It's not like Georgia Tech is terrible--I thought that was a good win for the Vols. 

IMO, Neither Washington State nor Louisville will be in this poll at the end.
My opinion is that you are allowed to look really bad week 1 as long as you get the W.

If a team plays amazing week 1, well you know they are going to be good.

But if they come out slow, or they give up a bunch of yards, or struggle, you still really don't know how good they will be because of the "Week 1 effect".

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: Next1_04 on September 05, 2017, 01:04:44 pm
TCU Rolls in at #23 in the AP

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Earlier than I thought for either team.  I was thinking that the winner would move into the poll after the game.

davglo35

Florida had 11 yds rushing and still top 25. They were absolutely man handled all day. They are ranked because they are Florida and not because they are good.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 05, 2017, 01:27:20 pm

Sweet.

After years of hoping to get higher in the polls, I'm trying a new tactic,  I'm rooting for us to be ranked as poorly as possible after wins. Not cause I dislike anyone, just the other way hasn't ever worked.

Here's to receiving 5 votes for the top 25 next week after beating TCU. Lol.

I hope you have terrible luck.!! ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: davglo35 on September 05, 2017, 05:58:35 pm
Florida had 11 yds rushing and still top 25. They were absolutely man handled all day. They are ranked because they are Florida and not because they are good.

I wonder if Scott Stricklin (their AD) is now wishing that he hadn't given McElwain that contract extension.

McElwain didn't deserve that contract extension. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 05, 2017, 06:02:39 pm
I hope you have terrible luck.!! ;)

Yep. You feel me.

It has been pretty bad with football for quite a while.