Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Final in Athens: Georgia 31 Appalachian State 10

Started by jbcarol, September 02, 2017, 08:17:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

DawgNation‏Verified account @DawgNation 15h15 hours ago

Nick Chubb, Jacob Eason and that kicker from App State http://sptz.us/2vz4VAQ

QuoteHere we are arriving at the first game of the season and I'd say that Nick Chubb, arguably Georgia's best player, comes in under the radar. We really haven't heard all that much from or about the Bulldogs' second-leading rusher of all time.

I see that as a good thing. This time last year, there were all kinds of questions about how Chubb might perform less than a year removed from major knee reconstruction. Nobody could be sure then, even Chubb.

As it turned out, he looked great. Well, at least for one week.

Indications are that Eason has gotten better at alignment recognition and blocking calls and has earned more trust from the coaching staff to change plays at the line of scrimmage. That has always been a hallmark of Georgia's quarterback-oriented, pro-style offense and what made it so difficult to defend.

Equally as problematic was Eason's inability or unwillingness to operate from under center. The running game and, by association, the play-action passing game, works much better when the quarterback takes a snap from under center and can give or fake to the tailback lining up behind a lead blocker.

Eason knows this and said he has spent a lot of time trying to get better at it.

"That was a big area I needed to improve on," Eason said. "And I think through this spring and this fall camp I've gotten a lot more comfortable. Now it's second nature going under there and taking the snap and spotting the Mike (linebacker) and all that deal. Yeah, I've improved a lot on that aspect."

If so, that could do a lot to enhance the Bulldogs' running game and play-calling.

THE APP STATE KICKER

I had the opportunity to talk on the phone with Appalachian State's kicker, a sophomore named Michael Rubino. I didn't get a chance to tell his story, but it's an interesting one.

Rubino's part in the Tennessee game last year is largely forgotten or maybe never really known in these parts. But, as he'll tell you, if not for his missed extra point and/or a 42-yard field goal try, the Mountaineers would probably be celebrating their one-year anniversary of an upset of the Vols rather than the 10-year anniversary of their win over Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Rubino was a redshirt freshman playing in the first college game of his life when he walked into Neyland Stadium with his teammates this time last year.

"It was absolutely crazy," he said. "We were walking into the stadium and I was thinking, 'dang, this is going to be my first college game, my first football game in two years. Wow!' ... It was funny, my friends were joking about me having a game-winning kick against Tennessee. I was like, 'yeah, right.' I thought we might win, but I didn't know we'd be driving with 50 seconds to go, tied at 13-13, moving the ball. I was like, 'all right, it looks like it's going to happen.'"

Rubino recovered and went on to have a good season for the Moutaineers, who won the Sun Belt Conference and finished 10-3 after a win in the Camellia Bowl. He was 15-of-21 on field goals and never missed another PAT.

"I definitely got that experience out of the way early. And I grew from it," Rubino said.

And he said he'd "absolutely love" the chance to make a game-winning kick against Georgia.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt

Halftime blog:

QuoteEason out, Fromm in

It didn't look good. Non-contact knee injuries never do. Here's to hoping for the best prognosis to Jacob Eason, who turned his leg awkwardly after taking a late hit out of bounds in the first half. But Eason appeared to be in a great deal of pain and was forced to exit the game.

In came Jake Fromm, the Houston County native who nearly broke Deshaun Watson's high school passing record. And Fromm didn't disappoint. In fact, Georgia's offense was sputtering to start the game. After Fromm came into the game, Georgia's offense began to run smoother.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Latest on Jacob Eason:

QuoteATHENS

Jacob Eason's knee injury, at least at this time, does not appear to be too serious.

Georgia head coach Kirby Smart was asked about Eason, who injured his knee at the 6:30 mark of the first half after suffering a late hit out of bounds.

Interviewed by radio sideline reporter Chuck Dowdle, Smart said Eason sustained a knee sprain on the play.

"We think he could be back as early as possible," Smart told Dowdle.

Eason needed assistance coming off of the field after the play. Freshman Jake Fromm entered the game and put in a good showing before the half ended.

Fromm completed eight of 12 passes for 109 yards and a touchdown.

Georgia leads Appalachian State 21-0 at the half.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt 14m14 minutes ago

Georgia leads Appalachian State 31-0.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jake Fromm, Wally Pipp? @BillShanks connects the two with his column from last night's game:

QuoteWho would have ever believed that before 7 p.m. on Saturday that Georgia would have its own Wally Pipp? And who would have ever believed it would be starting quarterback Jacob Eason who might now wear that title.

Eason did nothing right to start the game against Appalachian State. Georgia's offense sputtered, and whether it was Eason's fault or the new offensive line's fault, it didn't look good. It was a small sample size, but it didn't look good.

Then, Eason got hurt.

The decision to burn Jake Fromm's redshirt didn't take long to make. As Eason was hobbling to the locker room, the former Houston County star was running on the field taking Eason's spot.

And now, you wonder if Eason will get it back any time soon.

Pipp was the first baseman for the New York Yankees in 1925. He reportedly had a headache and asked out of the lineup. In Pipp's place, the Yankees started a 22-year-old kid named Lou Gehrig, who then didn't come out of the lineup for 2,130 straight games.

So, throughout history, if an injury caused a player to miss a game, and then that player was replaced, the name Wally Pipp would be used as a comparison.

Will that now define Georgia's season?

My personal Wally Pipp was Bill Shatto.

jbcarol

Tony Barnhart‏Verified account @MrCFB 4h4 hours ago

Jacob Eason non-surgical sprain. Will not play Saturday VS. ND per Kirby Smart. Week to week.