Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M WR Kirk Merritt claims "jock itch" after exposing himself to female tutors

Started by jbcarol, April 08, 2017, 06:39:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/850483171128999938

The separate incidents occurred at at A&M's Bright Football Complex.

The Bright Football Complex.

QuoteA&M wide receiver Kirk Merritt recently pleaded not guilty to charges in two indecent exposure incidents that occurred last fall. His attorney on Friday blamed the exposure cases on a "bad case of jock itch."

A&M:

Kirk Merritt, a Texas A&M football player, is alleged to have committed two offenses on Oct. 24 and Oct. 25, 2016.

On Oct. 25, the athletics department was notified of the accusations as well as the Title IX Office and the Office of the Dean of Student Life.

On Oct. 28, after receiving the police report, Coach Kevin Sumlin immediately suspended Merritt from all football activities.

On Nov. 8, Merritt was arrested and the athletics department suspended Merritt indefinitely per athletics department policy.

The university conduct process concluded on Jan. 20.

Feb. 1, Merritt's suspension was lifted by the athletics department after the university action.

Merritt will not participate in the spring game on Apr. 8.

Merritt sat out last season as a transfer from Oregon.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

tophawg19

so A&M isn't going to take any real action and neither is the police . Can anyone say Baylor part 2
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Vantage 8 dude

Well in TAM's defense they still haven't discovered/learned there really IS a treatment for that. Then again, who knew ???

Vantage 8 dude

Sounds as if he'd be the perfect candidate for a transfer to Baylor. They're always in need a few good character young men.

hogcard1964

It sounds like he was being "tutored", correct?  I also take it he's somewhere in the area of 19-22 years old also?  How old are the kids tutoring him?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 10, 2017, 08:55:50 am
It sounds like he was being "tutored", correct?  I also take it he's somewhere in the area of 19-22 years old also?  How old are the kids tutoring him?
Whatever the age of the kids tutoring him I can almost guarantee it's more than their IQ.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 10, 2017, 09:09:44 am
Whatever the age of the kids tutoring him I can almost guarantee it's more than their IQ.

I thought I heard these were underage kids?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 08, 2017, 12:48:08 pm
Well in TAM's defense they still haven't discovered/learned there really IS a treatment for that. Then again, who knew ???

It's the aggies. They probably though Gatoraid cured it..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 10, 2017, 09:09:44 am

It's the aggies. Their age is always more than their IQ....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2017, 12:13:45 pm
It's the aggies. Their age is always more than their IQ....................
You mean that if they actually reach the century mark in age they'll finally have a 3 digit IQ ??? Now THAT would be AMAZING!! :)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 10, 2017, 12:46:41 pm
You mean that if they actually reach the century mark in age they'll finally have a 3 digit IQ ??? Now THAT would be AMAZING!! :)

Amazing? It's imposible!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/852592146624413696

QuoteA&M WR Kirk Merritt is locked in an ongoing legal situation stemming from an arrest and two charges of indecent exposure after allegedly exposing his genitals to Texas A&M tutors on two separate occasions. Merritt's attorney has since explained the events, which resulted in an October arrest, were a result of a bad case of "jock itch."

According to a report from Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle, at least one of Merritt's two alleged victims believe his "jock itch" defense is "absurd."

"It was almost like I wasn't there, until I got nervous and started to pack up and leave," the victim told the Chronicle. "Then (Merritt) just stared at me, which was disconcerting, and made me want to leave even more."

The mother described a phone call that followed the event, during which the alleged victim was "bawling her eyes out" as a result of the events.

The victim also told Zwerneman that the idea that "jock itch" was the cause for the incident was "absurd" and that it does not line up with the course of events.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/852561724100284418

Brent Zwerneman‏ @BrentZwerneman 14h14 hours ago

Statement from Kirk Merritt attorney Rick Davis in response to this Chronicle story: (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sppq9s

QuoteA&M disciplinary proceedings were very thorough and the first panel found Kirk not responsible of violating the A&M rules that he was accused of violating; rules that are functionally the equivalent of the Class B misdemeanor with which he is presently facing in the Court system. The crux of the matter is that in the A&M disciplinary proceedings, the evidence of any sexually exploitative intent was not there. Both of the alleged victims testified in the initial proceedings.

We are surprised that the alleged victims says that they are outraged at Texas A&M. The University officials were very thorough to the point that we began to wonder if Kirk would be treated even-handedly. The first panel made its decision, and the complainants were not happy with the results.

What is additionally surprising about the fact that the women say that they are outraged is that in those proceedings, they had more rights than alleged victims do in criminal cases where a defendant is acquitted. A&M's procedures allow victims to appeal a result. Both complaining witnesses did.

As a result of the appeal of the first A&M disciplinary proceedings, Kirk had to face a second disciplinary proceeding where he was accused of violating University rules that were the functionally equivalent of Disorderly Conduct (a Class C misdemeanor) which did not require proof of any intent to gratify. He was found responsible in that proceeding.

In the second A&M proceeding, given the nature of the new charge, the two women did not have a right to participate in the proceedings. Kirk waived his rights under FERPA and allowed the women to hear the proceedings for two reasons. He did so as a conciliatory gesture and so that he could actually apologize to them for offending them (he was prohibited from communicating with them, otherwise).

Kirk's apology was sincere. If they choose not to forgive him, there is nothing else that he can do about it. They seem now to be advancing a cause instead of seeking justice in an individual case.

pigture perfect

Bwahahaha, these kind of things should not be adjudicated by a University panel. Fellow 18-22 males, especially if they are not smart enough to choose someplace other than a Texas university, should be allowed to judge this. And school officials will do anything to save their own hides. This is crazy.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

revolution

Can't believe these female students won't just let this go!  Doesn't this kind of thing happen all the time?  What's the world coming to these days when an athlete can't expose himself no matter the time or place?

As a father of two teenage daughters, I would be itching to permanently take care of this issue for Mr. Merritt!  Hopefully some Texas Justice will be forthcoming!

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/jasonkersey/status/853480007045451776

QuoteThis isn't Kevin Sumlin's first rodeo. The coach has overseen Texas A&M football for 5 seasons, and it's no secret that Year 6 could be his last in Aggieland.

But at what point does the apparent laser focus on winning begin to damage his program?

The latest bit of controversy to engulf Texas A&M involves sophomore Kirk Merritt, a former 4-star prospect who should compete for a starting wide receiver spot this season. The Houston Chronicle reported last Friday that Merritt pleaded not guilty to 2 charges of indecent exposure after the Oregon transfer exposed his genitals to not 1, but 2 different athletic tutors in 2 days.

Merritt actually admitted to doing this, but because his lawyer argues that Merritt's acts fall within the less-serious disorderly conduct statute, they're fighting the charges. This same crack defense team also claims that Merritt "had a bad case of jock itch," which somehow resulted in accidental exposure.

You can't make this stuff up.

A&M's handling of the entire situation, according to the school, goes something like this:

Texas A&M athletics and the university's Title IX Office become aware of the allegations
    Three days later, Sumlin suspends Merritt, who already was forced to sit out the 2016 season because of transfer rules
    Merritt is arrested on Nov. 8
    "The university conduct process concluded on Jan. 20"
    Merritt is reinstated on Feb. 1

Merritt did not see the field during last Saturday's scrimmage, but other outlets report that he did participate in practice this spring. Sumlin did not address the media at all after the spring game...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SportsDayDFW/status/852603607379849220

QuoteBen Baby: A&M tutor told the Houston Chronicle that "jock itch" doesn't explain why sophomore Kirk Merritt exposed himself to her and a second tutor last fall. Merritt, an Oregon transfer who practiced this spring, was arrested last fall and pleaded not guilty two misdemeanor counts of the incident.

Last week, Merritt's attorney said a medical condition involving the groin area led Merritt to expose his genitals on back-to-back days in October during two tutoring sessions. The attorney said the receiver should thus be charged with disorderly conduct, which is one grade lower than the current indecent exposure charges.

The alleged victim told the Chronicle Merritt's defense doesn't add up.

"It could not have been jock itch, that doesn't fit the situation at all," one of the victims told the Chronicle. "That's just absurd."

According to the university, Merritt was suspended prior to his arrest in November 2016. The suspension was lifted on Feb. 1, less than two weeks after the university wrapped up its conduct process.

"I'm sickened," the victim told the Houston newspaper regarding the timeline of events. "I've taken to boycotting Texas A&M athletic events because of this. It's just wrong. I grew up an Aggie and am a third-generation Aggie. This was not something I expected."

The Chronicle also quoted Brenda Tracy, a rape survivor and advocate for sexual assault victims, saying the exposure "wasn't an accident" and the university minimizing the incident is "the type of behavior that leads to other types of sexual violence."

The victim agreed, comparing her experience to victims of sexual assault at Baylor.

"It's almost disillusionment at this point," she said, "that A&M is not any better than Baylor or any other school that does this kind of stuff."

Vantage 8 dude

Großer Kriegschwein

There would have been no NCAA or Univeristy punishment for me had I done some dum darn like that.

My Grandmother would have driven straight from Batesville to Fayetteville and shot my ass in the middle of practice.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 08, 2017, 11:15:41 am
so A&M isn't going to take any real action and neither is the police . Can anyone say Baylor part 2
someone seeing your junk and gang rape are hardly the same.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jbcarol

ICYMI: A&M's Outline of how it handled the "jock itch" situation

QuoteKirk Merritt, a Texas A&M football player, is alleged to have committed two offenses on Oct. 24 and Oct. 25, 2016.

On Oct. 25, the athletics department was notified of the accusations as well as the Title IX Office and the Office of the Dean of Student Life.

On Oct. 28, after receiving the police report, Coach Kevin Sumlin immediately suspended Merritt from all football activities.

On Nov. 8, Merritt was arrested and the athletics department suspended Merritt indefinitely per athletics department policy.

The university conduct process concluded on Jan. 20.

Feb. 1, Merritt's suspension was lifted by the athletics department after the university action.

Merritt will not participate in the spring game on Apr. 8.

jbcarol

A&M scratches that itch

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/857316862442577922

QuoteA&M WR Kirk Merritt has been dismissed from the program after he was charged with two counts of indecent exposure earlier in April.

Merritt transferred to Texas A&M from Oregon during the summer of 2016.

Tejano Jawg

Even though he's dismissed from the program, he'll probably still find a way to have about 250 yards receiving against us.  >:(
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 4h4 hours ago

Report: Former Texas A&M WR Kirk Merritt transferring to 'Last Chance U' http://sptz.us/2pL4BaU

jbcarol

jbcarol

Report: Former Texas A&M WR Kirk Merritt pleads no contest to 2 charges of indecent exposure

QuoteMerritt's defense pled "no contest" to the charges to resolve the issue. Merritt reportedly received two years of deferred adjudication in addition to 40 hours of community service.

In April, Merritt was dismissed from Texas A&M's team after exposing his genitals to two athletic department tutors within a day last October. His attorney argued a "bad case of jock itch" in Merritt's defense.

One of the victims in the case spoke out in April, calling the "jock itch" claim absurd.

Merritt transferred to Texas A&M from Oregon during the summer of 2016. He sat out last season because of NCAA transfer rules.

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman

While Brazos County Justice Website lists Merritt's pleas as "guilty," his defense pleaded "no contest" to the charges, FYI. https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/899731699583639553 ...