Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What coach would come to arkansas

Started by BadPorcino, September 09, 2017, 08:30:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

How about we throw some money at Zurich and steal him from Louisville, then he can recruit Jeff Brohm.

HogimusMaximus

We need new coaches and new leadership.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 10, 2017, 01:25:51 pm
How about we throw some money at Zurich and steal him from Louisville, then he can recruit Jeff Brohm.

Jurich is certainly the anti-Long.  He gives no darn what his coaches do. He probably would have figured out a way to keep Briles at Baylor had he been AD there. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 09, 2017, 08:38:03 pm
Two guys I would make a run at are Justin Fuentes and the guy at Memphis.  Fuentes is from Tulsa and is a bit underpaid at VT.  The guy at Memphis might be a bit green, the jury is still out a bit on him, but he is good so far, and I've heard that Arkansas is his dream job.
I will vouch for the guy at Memphis.  Mike Norvell.  I had not heard that ARK was his dream job, but I do know that he is convincing decent to good players to come to University of Memphis which is completely a basketball school.  He is young and energetic and is definitely offensive minded.  I think he would be worth a look.

Fuentes WOULD have been a good call, but he aint leaving Va Tech to come to get beat up in the SEC West. He got his big time job and his payday when he went to Blacksburg.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 10, 2017, 01:25:51 pm
I mean this with no disrespect. I really dont know the answer.  How much money would the Razorback Foundation kick in to throw at anyone if they have to pay $15.4M to buy out BB?  We all talk about the Waltons and the Tysons and whoever else is a big donor over in NW Ark, but would any of the Waltons cut a check to buy out BB? Would the Tysons?  And then have to kick in more money to throw at a big time coach?  I just dont know.  Sure, the money is there.  They got plenty of it, but would they give it to the Razorback Foundation to make this change?

rhames

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 10, 2017, 01:35:49 pm
I mean this with no disrespect. I really dont know the answer.  How much money would the Razorback Foundation kick in to throw at anyone if they have to pay $15.4M to buy out BB?  We all talk about the Waltons and the Tysons and whoever else is a big donor over in NW Ark, but would any of the Waltons cut a check to buy out BB? Would the Tysons?  And then have to kick in more money to throw at a big time coach?  I just dont know.  Sure, the money is there.  They got plenty of it, but would they give it to the Razorback Foundation to make this change?

The Waltons couldn't care less about razorback athletics.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 10, 2017, 01:35:49 pm

No. They aren't going to pay to buyout a coach
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: tusked on September 09, 2017, 08:41:13 pm
How about throwing $7M on the table and see who wants to grab it
sure, that would get some interest-no doubt, but you guys know better than I--would the ARK money men, the big time donors to the Razorback Foundation--would they first buy out BB and then offer $7M per year (would have to be at least a 5 yr deal so $35M) to a big time head coach and then allow him to pay his coordinators close to $1M per year like A$M does?    Heck, if they will, then go for it, but I just dont know if they could raise that kind of money.

3kgthog

You'll never get a dime for athletics out of any of the remaining Waltons.

I bet this poor Arkansas excuse has been around forever. Then JFB came. Then Holtz, Hatfield, Petrino, and a (then successful) Bielema.

Coaches obviously see something here because the last two full timers voluntarily left darn good spots to be Hogs. So, don't believe the "woe is Arkansas" bull. The only negative about Arkansas is the recruiting base, but good evaluators, developers, and motivators can squeeze everything out of the players they do get. How else could anyone explain Nutt beating Saban more than once?

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: TM Hog on September 09, 2017, 08:35:34 pm
It would take a lot of $$. It makes me sick that no one takes Arkansas seriously anymore. We used to be an elite team with a proud history!
I still had hair when that was the case. - Kojak

jaredkr

James Franklin or Chip Kelly.. don't know if anyone else would be an upgrade
I am Ray Finkel

BigBen

How about Dowell Loggains? He knows the state and University and has the NFL experience to do some different things here.

Pig Worshipper

I think we should try Tyrion Lannister. I know our boys couldn't really look up to him but he seems to handle the Big Uglies pretty well. Unlike Coach B, Tyrion really is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. He'd also be loads of fun roaming around Dickson Street on a Saturday night.
Plus, if we have any trouble with Nick Saban and his troops, he can always have the Khaleesi (sp?) call in some Dragonfire on them. After what we saw yesterday, it may be the only way we ever win an SEC championship.

HogHomer

Quote from: BigBen on September 10, 2017, 02:11:00 pm
How about Dowell Loggains? He knows the state and University and has the NFL experience to do some different things here.
Has never been a head coach at any level, doesn't have any college coaching experience, and I'm not too impressed by his stints at any of the places he's been OC at. Titans, Browns and now Bears

pingeye2

Todd Downing, Oakland's 37 year old OC, is putting on a show today.  Take a frigging chance on someone like that!

Bubba's Bruisers

We're still going to be asking this question a year from now.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jkstock04

Quote from: BadPorcino on September 09, 2017, 08:30:06 pm
what current head coach would come to Arkansas at this point? What is the status of our program? Can it be restored?
Up and comer. Put him on a short leash with the understanding if he doesn't win, no raises and contract extensions...and he will be gone. Right now we have a guy who gets paid millions with little or no heat to win the entire time he's been here. We don't need that again.

I'm ready for a regime change that puts a premium on winning. Right now we do not have that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 10, 2017, 02:59:22 pm
Up and comer. Put him on a short leash with the understanding if he doesn't win, no raises and contract extensions...and he will be gone. Right now we have a guy who gets paid millions with little or no heat to win the entire time he's been here. We don't need that again.

I'm ready for a regime change that puts a premium on winning. Right now we do not have that.

Would make recruiting and hiring a staff even harder setting the up and comer up for failure. 

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 10, 2017, 03:02:18 pm
Would make recruiting and hiring a staff even harder setting the up and comer up for failure. 
Recruiting? Lol so what we go from 12th in the league to 13th?

I'm sick of hearing about how awesome our recruiting is. Sick of it. Unsubstantiated spin is all it is.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: jaredkr on September 10, 2017, 02:05:43 pm
James Franklin or Chip Kelly.. don't know if anyone else would be an upgrade
Kelly may give us a look cause he wants a job so badly, but no way James Franklin leaves Penn State.  The only team Franklin would leave PSU for is an NFL team.

HogHomer

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 10, 2017, 03:07:52 pm
Kelly may give us a look cause he wants a job so badly, but no way James Franklin leaves Penn State.  The only team Franklin would leave PSU for is an NFL team.
Only way we get Kelly is if no high profile schools like TAMU fire their coach. Kelly is going to be a hot commodity this off-season and we most likely won't even been looking for a new coach.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: rhames on September 10, 2017, 01:37:29 pm

The Waltons couldn't care less about razorback athletics.
so there you go.  Count them out.  Now you got Jerry Jones, Tysons, JB Hunt--who are the big Arkansas money men? Jim Lindsey?   Its would come down to how much those guys will pony up if you want BB gone and a big name to come to Fayetteville.  I just dont see it happening, but who knows?

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 10, 2017, 03:11:23 pm
Only way we get Kelly is if no high profile schools like TAMU fire their coach. Kelly is going to be a hot commodity this off-season and we most likely won't even been looking for a new coach.
good point

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 10, 2017, 03:04:46 pm
Recruiting? Lol so what we go from 12th in the league to 13th?

I'm sick of hearing about how awesome our recruiting is. Sick of it. Unsubstantiated spin is all it is.

Vent elsewhere. I'm not one to argue it is awesome.  Would be dumb to do so.  I was trying to be nice in responding to your stupid suggestion. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 10, 2017, 02:54:50 pm

but it may be more based in reality at that point...

Redhogs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 10, 2017, 02:54:50 pm
If "MR INTEGRITY" had integrity he would have resigned last night in disgrace and quit stealing his $4 mil a year under false pretenses...nothing but a fat con artist roaming our sidelines. Can't recruit, can't hire assistants worth a damn, can't evaluate talent, cant manage a game, and certainly can't motivate on game day..what is he getting paid for exactly??? Oh yea, blame a 20 yr. old  kicker that he recruited and put on the field after losing a game by double didgets...CBB, quite the success story here at Arkansas...after 5 freaking years of him controlling everything with the football program.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 10, 2017, 03:19:24 pm
Vent elsewhere. I'm not one to argue it is awesome.  Would be dumb to do so.  I was trying to be nice in responding to your stupid suggestion. 
Oh absolutely..stupid. Ya lets go hire another washed up multi millionaire with nothing to prove and see how that works out again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tusks

First its going to take a new AD.  JL is not savvy to hiring coaches.  BP was forced on him. 

Jim fricken Grobe.

Get an AD thats more of a GM style, the money from the SEC is coming regardless of the AD so get one who knows something about hiring football coaches, that has a pulse with the NFL and college.

JFB knew a great coach when he saw one, he's not the only guy that knew how to pick a coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DLUXHOG

Quote from: tusked on September 10, 2017, 03:36:48 pm
First its going to take a new AD.  JL is not savvy to hiring coaches.  BP was forced on him. 

Jim fricken Grobe.

Get an AD thats more of a GM style, the money from the SEC is coming regardless of the AD so get one who knows something about hiring football coaches, that has a pulse with the NFL and college.

JFB knew a great coach when he saw one, he's not the only guy that knew how to pick a coach.

Are you saying Nutt was a great coach 😳?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jimhog

I'd rather have Blake Anderson than Bielema.

hoglady

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 10, 2017, 04:26:01 pm
Are you saying Nutt was a great coach 😳?

That was a John White and his committee pick - I believe Broyles fought that hire.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Torqued pork

Quote from: hoglady on September 10, 2017, 06:01:34 pm
That was a John White and his committee pick - I believe Broyles fought that hire.
True. Broyles favored Tuberville who was making Ole Miss respectable despite being handcuffed with sanctions. Egghead White decided a search committee was more Democratic so all of Broyles knowledge and contacts were wasted.

hawgon

Ok, I have a new top candidate, Phillip Montgomery.  He is the head coach at Tulsa.  He was the OC at Baylor when they went 30-9.  Tulsa won one game the year before he got there.  They won 6 in his first year and 10 last year.  Needless to say he has Texas ties and is very familiar with our recruiting area.

He is a realistic candidate with something to prove.  Our last hire from Tulsa worked out pretty well.

HotlantaHog

I am not sure Arkansas is going to get a great winning coach from another school to come to Fayetteville unless there are some issues around him. See Petrino. You might get Gus Malzahn -- who Auburn I imagine is tiring of at this point -- or some other coach at a school that has unrealistic expectations to come here. Most coaches last only 7 years or so before they move. We could easily target a good coach who is looking for a change -- like Richt after he was fired at UGa. Or a few others. Look at good coaches on the hot seat...

Another route would be to go the Dabo route. Figure out who is the best assistant coach -- not necessarily a Broyles winner, could be a line coach or a wide receiver coach or QB coach ... on the Arkansas staff or with ties to Arkansas. An up and comer. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't. It's a gamble but occasionally it does work.

Or go the Gus route -- not Gus personally. But figure out who is the best high school coach in Arkansas or in the SEC or Southwest area... Hire them. Give them a chance. Again, maybe it will work and maybe it won't.

The big resume hire like hiring a Wisconsin coach who had been to three Rose Bowls sounded great. I am not a BB opponent. If at the end of the season it hasn't worked, I am fine with making a change. It's nothing personal. He seems like a good guy. It's just time to give someone else a chance.

I'm more willing to roll the dice than pick out a coach that has made moderate success somewhere else -- the real shining stars without baggage aren't coming to Arkansas.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: tusked on September 10, 2017, 03:36:48 pm

Jim fricken Grobe.

Jim Grobe did take Wake Forest to an Orange Bowl. Let that sink in for just a minute.

Not saying he was the guy for this job, but he obviously knows something about football.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HardCore

Quote from: HogHomer on September 10, 2017, 03:11:23 pm
This is why you take a stab now, not at the end of the season.  If he says no, then he says no.....but don't just sit on your hands......
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HardCore

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on September 10, 2017, 12:56:10 pm
I don't care who it is as long as JL is gone. The guy got us into this mess and it's his fault.

Yes it is
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

GrouchyOldGuy

I would be Very happy with whith him would he come here?