Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will make the difference?

Started by AWHAWG, May 27, 2017, 01:41:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 01, 2017, 07:39:41 pm
Exactly. He is gonna at least split the Center minutes with Trey, if not play more. That's a big difference from saying he is 1st round NBA talent.
Exactly, I wouldn't say he's a 1st round NBA talent yet. Well, let me take that back I would. He is a 1st round talent but he's not a 1st round player yet. Still has quite a bit of developing to do on the offensive skill set side.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2017, 04:59:36 pm
Another "Beard won't play much" poster.
We've been hearing this for years right? And yet he continues to defy the odds. Hmmm... :-\...Beard is not great at one thing but he is pretty good at most. Those types of players find a way to get in the game.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 07, 2017, 11:11:42 am
Beard isn't a pure PG. I'm not even sure we really need him to be this coming year. The offense will be so perimeter-oriented. An offense tailored around a big like Moses Kingsley benefits more from a pass-first/true PG than one run by combo guards like Baford, Macon, and Beard. That's just going to be our look this year. Gafford won't be a major part of the offense. He's going to probably live off putbacks for the most part.

I see Beard being more confident and playing smarter as a senior. They may lead to the better A/TO ratio you mentioned. I see clutch buckets and the gritty play we've seen for stretches thus far. Beard is what he is, but again, former top 100 recruit. He can hoop. He's going to put it all together this year. He will be the heart and soul of the team.

Most teams benefit greatly with a ball handler who is a good set up guy. I think we would too. I know Macon would love if Beard was a penetrate and dish type guy.  If Beard at 6' tall wants to raise his next level value he would practice his assist skills this summer.    I know Beard is more of a combo guard but just saying we could use him greater as more of a pass first set up true PG this year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 08, 2017, 10:58:34 am
Most teams benefit greatly with a ball handler who is a good set up guy. I think we would too. I know Macon would love if Beard was a penetrate and dish type guy.  If Beard at 6' tall wants to raise his next level value he would practice his assist skills this summer.    I know Beard is more of a combo guard but just saying we could use him greater as more of a pass first set up true PG this year.

I simply want to see smarter play/better decision-making from him. The rest will take care of itself after that. He doesn't need to be Jabril Durham. Barford is an ISO guy. His points are coming in transition or one-on-one. Macon has more of a spot-up element to his game, as all as slashing (needs teammates to be able to handle passes this year), but he's going to have the ball in his hands a lot. He'll be his own set-up man most of the time.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on June 02, 2017, 09:04:10 pm
I'm on the Beard train as well. Your numbers don't lie, and I actually think he's going to make a leap this season. The combo of Beard, Macon, and Barford is going to cause series issues for opposing defenses. They're going to be fast, mean, and getting to the rim (when they don't kick it back out for three).

I don't know how anyone has watched Beard and thinks he can be a major contributor! Best he could offer is a few minutes off the bench but he's terrible. Wouldn't play on any other SEC team it's hard to see why he gets all the minutes he does.

South Carolina game last year was probably our best game of the year. A lot of it had to do with Beard being sick and not playing.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 08, 2017, 06:54:57 am
We've been hearing this for years right? And yet he continues to defy the odds. Hmmm... :-\...Beard is not great at one thing but he is pretty good at most. Those types of players find a way to get in the game.

What's he good at? Is he a good defender? Is he a good shooter? Passer? Ball handler? Good at most if you have a low expectation. Can't run and can't jump isn't quick and is small. Best thing is to play the younger guys and live with their mistakes. Beard is a mistake a minute with no upside. He is what he is.

Yeah anybody that know basketball can't understand why Anderson plays the guy? You should have to earn your minutes?

PonderinHog

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  Beard is scrappy and a pretty good baller, considering his physical limitations. 

JayHog

What does he do good? Nothing, you say?
I've said it for years... Beard has the quickest hands of anybody on the team. I'm sure the coaches chart hands on balls and ball deflections.  I bet you anything that Beard leads in ball deflections per minutes played.

Naysayers will scoff, so there's no sense in us arguing about it at this point. It won't change anything. But remember I said it. And watch how many deflections and steals he gets this season. Dude has quick hands, I'm telling you.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 08, 2017, 11:19:31 pm
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  Beard is scrappy and a pretty good baller, considering his physical limitations.

Weakest link? He shouldn't play if CJ had all those minutes last year I wonder how good he would be?
I will agree he is scrappy considering his LIMITATIONS. Good baller don't agree at all. Just not good enough or talented enough to play on a SEC team. Watched him several times in HS and if I didn't know who he was wouldn't have noticed him.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: JayHog on June 09, 2017, 03:11:30 am
What does he do good? Nothing, you say?
I've said it for years... Beard has the quickest hands of anybody on the team. I'm sure the coaches chart hands on balls and ball deflections.  I bet you anything that Beard leads in ball deflections per minutes played.

Naysayers will scoff, so there's no sense in us arguing about it at this point. It won't change anything. But remember I said it. And watch how many deflections and steals he gets this season. Dude has quick hands, I'm telling you.

No arguing. Least talented kid I can remember playing at the U of A. Be glad when he graduates and hope he gets his degree. Or maybe he will make millions over sea's. LMAO>

PonderinHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 09, 2017, 01:31:35 pm
Weakest link? He shouldn't play if CJ had all those minutes last year I wonder how good he would be?
I will agree he is scrappy considering his LIMITATIONS. Good baller don't agree at all. Just not good enough or talented enough to play on a SEC team. Watched him several times in HS and if I didn't know who he was wouldn't have noticed him.
Whatever, man.  I'm sure he earned his minutes in practice.  We'll see how much playing time he gets this year.  I don't agree or disagree with your post in its entirety, concerning his abilities.  I wish he had more of a facilitator's mentality than a scorer's mentality.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 09, 2017, 01:50:20 pm
Whatever, man.  I'm sure he earned his minutes in practice.  We'll see how much playing time he gets this year.  I don't agree or disagree with your post in its entirety, concerning his abilities.  I wish he had more of a facilitator's mentality than a scorer's mentality.

Whatever we just disagree. I know what I have seen and while he has had some moments he doesn't really add anything..And that is JMO..

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 09, 2017, 04:42:09 pm
Whatever we just disagree. I know what I have seen and while he has had some moments he doesn't really add anything..And that is JMO..
Not a big Beard fan I see :-\. He played pretty good against North Carolina. I'm just saying. Or did you even watch that game. He does need to play like that on a more consistent basis though. Rather you want to admit it or not, like I said he's not great at anything but he is pretty solid at everything.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 10, 2017, 10:57:09 am
Not a big Beard fan I see :-\. He played pretty good against North Carolina. I'm just saying. Or did you even watch that game. He does need to play like that on a more consistent basis though. Rather you want to admit it or not, like I said he's not great at anything but he is pretty solid at everything.

Watched every second including when he had a fast break and couldn't dribble the ball. I hope you guy are right and Beard has a great season but have not seen anything to show me he's capable of being a good player.

I'm a Razorback fan so absolutely will hope for the best. IMO we need to move on and let the guys with actual talent and skill play.

simon the squealot

The most improved Hog could very well be Arlando Cook. He came in with superb credentials and had a typical 1st year season for a JUCO. He will be much improved next year. The year that Macon and Barford had speaks of their vast talent. All 3 will be so good next season.

tophawg19

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 05, 2017, 03:20:12 pm
And I think that's what most posters seem to think. I was responding to the post that said people were underestimating him. I just haven't seen that.
i Don't think he is going to be as strong coming in as most think. he will have to get there quickly to meet some expectations . he will struggle early on with getting pushed around. hopefully he doesn't get frustrated easily and foul
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

klp1

Has Garland been cleared to participate yet?

cableguy

I'm torn beween D. Hall and Adrio Bailey but I will give Hall the edge. Hall wing span, quickness and IQ has NBA written all over it. He reminds me of the former Kentrucky player Tayshaun Prince.  I predict defense keying on Macon and Barford and the ball being in Hall hands a lot. Hall has an excellent mid-range game that will prove valuable. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: cableguy on July 28, 2017, 04:26:26 pm
I'm torn beween D. Hall and Adrio Bailey but I will give Hall the edge. Hall wing span, quickness and IQ has NBA written all over it. He reminds me of the former Kentrucky player Tayshaun Prince.  I predict defense keying on Macon and Barford and the ball being in Hall hands a lot. Hall has an excellent mid-range game that will prove valuable.

Defense will likely keep Bailey on the floor more than Hall initially.
Hogs up! Covid down!

MakingPlays

I think Barford and Macon will make the difference.  Both will probably end up making an All-SEC Team, hopefully they end up being one of the best back courts in the country, they looked the part against UNC.

But, what I'm interested to see is how the 4 spot plays out.  We have Thomas, Cook, and Bailey all competing for minutes there, with Hall probably filling in some there as well.  Does the senior Cook get left of the rotation?  JUCO players are usually much better their second year, and it wasn't like he was horrible the first year.  It's hard for me to see him not playing.  Yet, I can't see Bailey or Thomas not playing either, both seemed to really come on in the NCAA tournament.  I wonder will coach Anderson throw some 3 forward lineups out there.

Dominicanhog

This is the year that Adrio becomes a household name... the UNC game gave him big time confidence and I think he explodes on the scene.. someone mentioned we needed another double digit scorer, not sure it's that high, but wouldn't be surprised if it's close.. 8 and 6 sounds about right.. also agree that Cook will be much improved...

a freshman always comes thru to instill future excitement..  Gafford has the best chance because of PT.. but Hall is the intriguing one.. he's a winner, that little extra... players with that intangible find a way on the court.... 

1hawgballer2

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 08, 2017, 06:54:57 am

Comments: Don't sleep on seniors under Mike, for as that goes any returnees, it has been proven Mike's players improve from year to year

rmcchris

Gafford. I know he is a freshman and so before all the comments, we have not had a 6ft 11 that can play the four or heck maybe the 3?

HognitiveDissonance

The two most important pieces are:
1)Gafford has to step in and pseudo-replace Kingsley's defense and rebounding. Just have a good freshman year. Thompson is there, yes, but Gafford needs to have a good year.

2)CJ Jones needs to pseudo-replace Hannah's role. Instant offense. He has the potential to do that, I think. Hopefully just needs the playing time to show that.

If those two guys have good years in those roles, and assuming the rest stay static in their production and/or improve incrementally as you might expect, it should be a good year.

I think they can duplicate the 26-10 record if everyone stays healthy.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 29, 2017, 12:15:21 pm

2)CJ Jones needs to pseudo-replace Hannah's role. Instant offense. He has the potential to do that, I think. Hopefully just needs the playing time to show that.

CJ will have a career very similar to ,"You can riiing my Beeeellll , you can ring my Bell"

Pinto

Quote from: rmcchris on July 29, 2017, 12:05:21 pm
Gafford. I know he is a freshman and so before all the comments, we have not had a 6ft 11 that can play the four or heck maybe the 3?

No, Gafford cannot play the 3 lol

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on July 29, 2017, 01:41:36 pm
No, Gafford cannot play the 3 lol

What is it with people and projecting big men at the three here? It never happens, yet they still think we will he trotting out a 6'9"-6'10" Small forward some day.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 29, 2017, 08:48:12 pm
What is it with people and projecting big men at the three here? It never happens, yet they still think we will he trotting out a 6'9"-6'10" Small forward some day.

Idk. I think I saw someone post Adrio could play the 3 also. No...just no lol

hogsanity

Who would you guys say was the biggest loss  off of last years team? MK? If that is the answer, then the difference maker or makers will be whoever picks up his minutes, his scoring, and his defense. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AWHAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2017, 09:44:37 am
Who would you guys say was the biggest loss  off of last years team? MK? If that is the answer, then the difference maker or makers will be whoever picks up his minutes, his scoring, and his defense.
MK...I believe TT can help us there along with the PFs by committee and our new rubber band man- he is really long and will run the floor protect the rim

Pinto

Quote from: AWHAWG on July 31, 2017, 10:22:57 am
MK...I believe TT can help us there along with the PFs by committee and our new rubber band man- he is really long and will run the floor protect the rim

If Moses was the biggest loss then we will be fine. Gafford will be able to protect the rim and get boards just as well or better. I think we will miss Dusty's bail out buckets even more. Hopefully our offense will be more consistent and won't have to resort to those bail out shots. If the returning players improved and our freshmen players are solid, we will be a better team than last year

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2017, 09:44:37 am

https://youtu.be/Rvm57QOKQlY

hogsanity

Quote from: Pinto on July 31, 2017, 10:46:40 am
If Moses was the biggest loss then we will be fine. Gafford will be able to protect the rim and get boards just as well or better. I think we will miss Dusty's bail out buckets even more. Hopefully our offense will be more consistent and won't have to resort to those bail out shots. If the returning players improved and our freshmen players are solid, we will be a better team than last year

Ok, if DH was the biggest loss, then who replaces him?  My point is that the team lost ALOT that has to be replaced. I think they have players capable of doing so, but with a tough non conf schedule, how fast they gel is going to be the real difference maker. IF it takes them until sec play to come together, they could have 5 or 6 losses by then.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pinto

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2017, 12:38:07 pm
Ok, if DH was the biggest loss, then who replaces him?  My point is that the team lost ALOT that has to be replaced. I think they have players capable of doing so, but with a tough non conf schedule, how fast they gel is going to be the real difference maker. IF it takes them until sec play to come together, they could have 5 or 6 losses by then.

Yeah on paper we lost a lot. Hopefully those losses were overrated. I think we do have the players capable of filling those gaps but as you said, it depends on how fast they gel. I don't think we have one player to come in and single handedly pick up DH's scoring load but I do think we have a group of guys who will collectively fill that gap. We have better depth this year unlike last year were we had fake depth...

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2017, 12:38:07 pm
Most good teams lose a lot.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 31, 2017, 03:07:04 pm
C.J. is looking damn good. A shooter with springs. Don't see that much at the U of A.

I like what I saw in the video. I hope CJ steps up and becomes a big part of the team because he has the tools physically if he gets the mental part down watch out.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

C.J. is looking damn good. A shooter with springs. Don't see that much at the U of A.

The thing he is missing is the abilities to drive the basketball off the bounce.

Razorod

Enjoyed seeing the work being done. Does every player have a short clip like this one?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Razorod

Quote from: Razorod on July 31, 2017, 07:54:32 pm
Enjoyed seeing the work being done. Does every player have a short clip like this one?
Never mind, I found some more.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Razorod on July 31, 2017, 08:16:54 pm
Never mind, I found some more.
Links please. I would like to see some more.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 31, 2017, 04:35:01 pm
I like what I saw in the video. I hope CJ steps up and becomes a big part of the team because he has the tools physically if he gets the mental part down watch out.
I believe C.J. has the ability to be the Razorback's Microwave. He has the ability to come off the bench and average double digit PPG and be instant offense. If he can improve his ball handling and his mental game he has the potential to be All SEC material before he leaves the U of A.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 01, 2017, 10:41:34 am
I believe C.J. has the ability to be the Razorback's Microwave. He has the ability to come off the bench and average double digit PPG and be instant offense. If he can improve his ball handling and his mental game he has the potential to be All SEC material before he leaves the U of A.

If he learns how to run that curl off of a screen with the shoot or drive option like Dusty got so good at, he will be a volume scorer for sure and not just a three point shooter. Would make him so much more difficult to defend.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 01, 2017, 11:03:07 am
If he learns how to run that curl off of a screen with the shoot or drive option like Dusty got so good at, he will be a volume scorer for sure and not just a three point shooter. Would make him so much more difficult to defend.
Agree, not to mention you would have to jump pretty high to block or affect his shot because he gets good lift on it.

azhog10

Hope his defense has improved. To me that's the biggest factor that limited his playing time. He has all the tools to be able to play great defense as well as be a dynamic scorer offensively.

NWAHog479

I think Beard will be the X factor... Macon & Barford are going to be in majority of the headlines and a lot of people are going to want to talk about Gafford, but Beard is the 4 year GLUE player that we need.

Pinto

Quote from: NWAHog479 on August 01, 2017, 03:03:21 pm
I think Beard will be the X factor... Macon & Barford are going to be in majority of the headlines and a lot of people are going to want to talk about Gafford, but Beard is the 4 year GLUE player that we need.

I would be very happy if Anton managed to average 10 ppg this year and increased his assist to TO ratio. I'm not counting on it but I think we would have a successful year if he managed to do so.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: azhog10 on August 01, 2017, 01:26:19 pm
Hope his defense has improved. To me that's the biggest factor that limited his playing time. He has all the tools to be able to play great defense as well as be a dynamic scorer offensively.
Defense is an attitude. You have to want to. You have to absolutely hate it when your opponent scores on you. Hopefully he can get a little dog in em this year. Or should I say Hog. ;D

AWHAWG

Quote from: Pinto on August 01, 2017, 04:47:10 pm
I would be very happy if Anton managed to average 10 ppg this year and increased his assist to TO ratio. I'm not counting on it but I think we would have a successful year if he managed to do so.
Not trying to drink the koolaid but Beard does look much better. He has a new grown man body. If his mind does the same, he could slip in to my original surprise DM list. Smart hard nose in your face defense with an attitude. We will see.