Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

anyone know anything about 1943/1944

Started by husker71, May 12, 2017, 05:54:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

Utah had just won the NIT but was not invited to the NCAA tourney.  Yes you could go to both in those days.  Anyway Arkansas was invited but before the tourney 2 Razorbacks were injured while changing a tire.  Of course Utah went on to also win the NCAA tourney.  Lots of questions about who the players were, where the accident happened etc etc etc

daBoar

Quote from: husker71 on May 12, 2017, 05:54:53 pm
Utah had just won the NIT but was not invited to the NCAA tourney.  Yes you could go to both in those days.  Anyway Arkansas was invited but before the tourney 2 Razorbacks were injured while changing a tire.  Of course Utah went on to also win the NCAA tourney.  Lots of questions about who the players were, where the accident happened etc etc etc

The war years were strange.  My mother attendied the U of Wyoming in '43...........they won the national championship...........Wyoming.

caneybuck

Quote from: husker71 on May 12, 2017, 05:54:53 pm

The players were Deno Nichols and Ben Jones. They were returning from a practice game in Ft. Smith so I would assume the accident occurred somewhere along Hwy 71.

Wisco Pig

Hogcephus

Gene Lambert was our coach and told me the story first hand years ago. It was a terrible accident.

Porked Tongue

I heard there was a girl involved and she played volleyball.

jb11

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 16, 2017, 06:33:35 pm
I heard there was a girl involved and she played volleyball.
Boo. Not appropriate no matter how long ago this was.

tusksincolorado

My Dad was in the US 7th/45th Thunderbird scrapping their way though Italy and Southern Europe towards one of the most horrible atrocities known to mankind...Dachau, just outside of Munich.

In 66' digging around in the attic, I came across some of those photos that my Dad had during that time in Spring of 45. I remember, my Mom threaten to leave my Dad that night, because he told her that he had thrown them away so I would never ever see them. In 1977 my family went to Germany, Austria, and Italy. My Dad and Mom visited the Memorial outside of Munich, I was not allowed to go. Later my Mom told me that she was glad I wasn't allowed to go because she had never seen my Dad cry as much as he did that early Spring morning.

If anyone doubted that the Greatest Generation wasn't....  :'(
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!