Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P. Bev

Started by HamSammich, April 16, 2017, 09:48:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

Putting in a dang show here tonight. Make any Arkansan proud. He has the crowd going baby!!!!!!!! Wooo pig

EastexHawg

As long as he can help knock that punk Westbrook out of the playoffs I'm a die-hard Rockets fan.  The man never saw a shot he didn't like, plus you can just look at him and know you would despise him if you ever spent 30 seconds around him.

HamSammich

He is the heart of our team. Crowd is shouting and cheering him louder than harden ATM. When he got up from being floored the building rocked.... like an Arlen  bowers

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 16, 2017, 09:52:27 pm
As long as he can help knock that punk Westbrook out of the playoffs I'm a die-hard Rockets fan.  The man never saw a shot he didn't like, plus you can just look at him and know you would despise him if you ever spent 30 seconds around him.

Westbrook or Harden?

greenEGnHAWGS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the ESPN analyst that was talking through the highlights of the Rockets game day "woo pig sooie" when it did a slow mo shot of Patrick?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 16, 2017, 10:54:25 pm
Westbrook or Harden?

I'm talking about Westbrook.  He may be the most overrated player I can remember and the biggest ball hog since Allen Iverson.  He racked up a bunch of personal stats by shooting almost 400 more times than anyone else in the league and in the process led his team to a magnificent 6th seed in the West.  As Hobston said in Arthur, I'll alert the media.

Of course the story is that Westbrook is doing it without much help.  Hmmm...don't I seem to remember that he played a few years with both James Harden AND Kevin Durant, the two men who before Durant's injury this year were considered his primary rivals in the MVP race?  How many championships did he win with them?

More than any of that, he's just a punk.  Watch him play one game and that much is obvious.

lynbug

Quote from: HamSammich on April 16, 2017, 09:48:00 pm
Putting in a dang show here tonight. Make any Arkansan proud. He has the crowd going baby!!!!!!!! Wooo pig
Arguably one of the best games I've seen him play. He was feeling it!

JayBell

April 17, 2017, 10:01:20 am #7 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:10:06 pm by JayBell
That's how Beverley played at Arkansas.  I had season tickets in the student section during his sophomore season.  He was always fiery, but not always in control of his emotions.

It's been awesome to watch him develop as a professional.  He had to go pro before he was ready.  He spent years in Europe and now he's out there getting the fourth-most minutes for the third-best team in the NBA.

RebHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 09:02:03 am
I'm talking about Westbrook.  He may be the most overrated player I can remember and the biggest ball hog since Allen Iverson.  He racked up a bunch of personal stats by shooting almost 400 more times than anyone else in the league and in the process led his team to a magnificent 6th seed in the West.  As Hobston said in Arthur, I'll alert the media.

Of course the story is that Westbrook is doing it without much help.  Hmmm...don't I seem to remember that he played a few years with both James Harden AND Kevin Durant, the two men who before Durant's injury this year were considered his primary rivals in the MVP race?  How many championships did he win with them?

More than any of that, he's just a punk.  Watch him play one game and that much is obvious.

The 2nd player to average a triple double for an entire season and he is overrated? Seriously? LMAO. He didn't bolt and run when Durant left to take the easy road like so many are doing.  Talking about selfish previous to this year harden was the worst in the game.He wouldn't pass unless he had to and refused to play defense so your whole rant here is just complete nonsense. That being said both of these players are having great seasons and if Harden plays like this in the seasons to come I might start rooting for him he was fun to watch this year. Not funny to watch like his SHAQTIN a FOO Days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVFwaJtEkE

:D :D :D :puke:

EastexHawg

Quote from: RebHog on April 17, 2017, 10:39:17 am
The 2nd player to average a triple double for an entire season and he is overrated? Seriously? LMAO. He didn't bolt and run when Durant left to take the easy road like so many are doing.  Talking about selfish previous to this year harden was the worst in the game.He wouldn't pass unless he had to and refused to play defense so your whole rant here is just complete nonsense. That being said both of these players are having great seasons and if Harden plays like this in the seasons to come I might start rooting for him he was fun to watch this year. Not funny to watch like his SHAQTIN a FOO Days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVFwaJtEkE

:D :D :D :puke:

Westbrook is a one man show in Oklahoma City now that he doesn't have to share the ball with anyone.  As I said, he took 400 more shots than anyone else in the NBA.  He is also a turnover machine, with the 28th best assist/turnover ratio...25th among point guards.  Shooting percentage?  He is 100th in the league.  But big men who shoot close to the basket have an advantage in FG%, right?  So we have to look at adjusted field goal percentage, which factors in three pointers and will surely move a guard like Westbrook up in the rankings...

Oh, wait, he is actually 106th in that category.  Just for the sake of comparison, Steph Curry is 10th and three other point guards are in the top 30.

Westbrook is a good player who plays on a team that allows him to keep the ball in his hands more than anyone else in the league.  He piles up a lot of stats, both good and bad.  To compare him to Oscar Robertson, who was a career 49% shooter despite playing several years past his prime, is premature to say the least...and downright laughable to say the most.

J-Five

It's downright laughable to call someone a "punk" that you don't know personally, or who has done nothing to you personally...Just a take from a person who is not a fan of the OKC Thunder. 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

sickboy

Westbrook isn't a punk. He's just intense. If that's what you call a punk -- then what do you call Jordan, Kobe or Larry Bird? These guys are ridiculously competitive and it's that intensity that drives them to be what they are. Great.

Is Westbrook the best player in the league? No. But he's one of the best and most versatile PGs to come along in years. I don't care if you're hogging the ball like Iverson... if you're averaging what he's averaging in the NBA, you're elite.

The problem with guys like Westbrook and their ridiculous intensity is that you've got to put them in the right situation with he right players to win. Westbrook's season this year is proof that you can't just ride one guy... it's a team game. And the fact that he couldn't figure out how to win with Durant and Harden is testament to the idea that you need the right mix of personalities. I honestly think if you took Durant away from Westbrook, but kept Harden... that Westbrook could have thrived with Harden alone. But Westbrook and Durant are just a weird pairing. Durant's personality fits more in Golden State, where you've got a lot of guys who are great, but aren't these intense ego guys like Westbrook.

Unless Westbrook can find his Pippen... it's hard to imagine the Thunder ever getting past Houston or Golden State in the west.

But that doesn't change that Westbrook is one of the top... probably seven players in the league.

JayBell

I'm just laughing at accusing the NBA's No. 1 and No. 3 assist leaders as being selfish punks.

The hate is strong with some folks.

EastexHawg

April 17, 2017, 01:34:43 pm #13 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:47:44 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2017, 01:25:12 pm
I'm just laughing at accusing the NBA's No. 1 and No. 3 assist leaders as being selfish punks.

How many stupid passes that turned into turnovers did Westbrook make to get those assists?

The game is all about Russell.  Russell has to make the shot.  Russell has to get the assist.  Russell, a guard, has to crash the boards to get the rebound.

He got all the personal glory and the stats.  Meanwhile, his team is 6th in the conference.  Maybe someone should give him a cookie.

As for why I personally dislike him, all the talking and the "I'm a bad man" scowling aren't my style.  As for Jordan, not only was he almost universally better liked than Westbrook as a person, but on the court he would have beaten him like a tied up goat and made him like it.  The comparisons to Oscar Robertson are insulting enough.  Westbrook and Jordan should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Hawg Red

With the kind of volume that those two are blessed with, it'd be hard not get a good number of assists just by the odds. The notion that a player cannot possibly be selfish if he gets a lot of assists is silly. They are dominating the ball. That's why we're seeing their points, assists, shot attempts, and turnovers so high. The need to have the ball in their hands so much in itself is very selfish, if you ask me.

hawganatic

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 01:34:43 pm
How many stupid passes that turned into turnovers did Westbrook make to get those assists?

The game is all about Russell.  Russell has to make the shot.  Russell has to get the assist.  Russell, a guard, has to crash the boards to get the rebound.

He got all the personal glory and the stats.  Meanwhile, his team is 6th in the conference.  Maybe someone should give him a cookie.

As for why I personally dislike him, all the talking about the "I'm a bad man" scowling aren't my style.  As for Jordan, not only was he almost universally better liked than Westbrook as a person, but on the court he would have beaten him like a tied up goat and made him like it.  The comparisons to Oscar Robertson are insulting enough.  Westbrook and Jordan should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

This isn't even close to making sense.  Selfish shooting could be a valid argument (not saying it applies to Westbrook), but assists and crashing the boards aren't the sign of a selfish player.  Blaming him for his team being 6th in the conference?  A team that he knew wouldn't be as good this year but signed an extension anyway?  Where would OKC be if Westbrook left the team?

JayBell

Go on.  Keep digging.  Westbrook just averaged a triple double for the first time in the NBA since 1962.  Harden just accounted for more points in a single season than any other player in NBA history.

If they accomplished these feats simply because they're selfish, why didn't Kobe get more assists?  Or Iverson?  Hell, why not Jordan?

EastexHawg

Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2017, 01:53:00 pm
Go on.  Keep digging.  Westbrook just averaged a triple double for the first time in the NBA since 1962.  Harden just accounted for more points in a single season than any other player in NBA history.

If they accomplished these feats simply because they're selfish, why didn't Kobe get more assists?  Or Iverson?  Hell, why not Jordan?

Who is saying anything about Harden?  I'm not.

hawganatic

Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2017, 01:53:00 pm

Oh come on!!!  You know Westbrook goes out every game intending to get 10.7 rebounds, just to benefit himself....

factchecker

I don't follow pro basketball outside of pro-hogs so this is a genuine question:

Does Westbrook take cheap shots during a game?  Does he have a history of off court problems?

What makes him a punk?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on April 17, 2017, 01:51:10 pm
This isn't even close to making sense.  Selfish shooting could be a valid argument (not saying it applies to Westbrook), but assists and crashing the boards aren't the sign of a selfish player.  Blaming him for his team being 6th in the conference?  A team that he knew wouldn't be as good this year but signed an extension anyway?  Where would OKC be if Westbrook left the team?

Let's say Andre Roberson is in the lane but covered up by a defender but Oladipo is standing on the perimeter near the 3 point line with 10 seconds remaining on the shot clock.  Is it selfish, or stupid, or just plain careless to try to force a risky pass in to Roberson?  If it works, it is an assist.  If it doesn't, it's a turnover.  That's just an example.

As for rebounding, I'll ask a question.  What might be a reason why teams don't want their guards crashing the offensive boards all the time?

Westbrook has the ball in his hands more than any player in the NBA.  He shoots a lot more than anyone in the league.  He makes more passes, good and bad, than anyone.  Naturally he is going to pile up a bunch of stats.

As for his supporting cast, Westbrook spent almost a decade with Durant and three seasons with Durant and Harden.  Not only did he never win a title with the two guys who spent most of this year considered his two main rivals for the MVP award, but he was known as a reckless and selfish player even with those guys around him.  Does he have a lot of physical talent?  Of course he does, but he's not even the best player in the league right now, much less one of the greatest of all time. 

hawganatic

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 02:10:28 pm
Let's say Andre Roberson is in the lane but covered up by a defender but Oladipo is standing on the perimeter near the 3 point line with 10 seconds remaining on the shot clock.  Is it selfish, or stupid, or just plain careless to try to force a risky pass in to Roberson?  If it works, it is an assist.  If it doesn't, it's a turnover.  That's just an example.

As for rebounding, I'll ask a question.  What might be a reason why teams don't want their guards crashing the offensive boards all the time?

Westbrook has the ball in his hands more than any player in the NBA.  He shoots a lot more than anyone in the league.  He makes more passes, good and bad, than anyone.  Naturally he is going to pile up a bunch of stats.

As for his supporting cast, Westbrook spent almost a decade with Durant and three seasons with Durant and Harden.  Not only did he never win a title with the two guys who spent most of this year considered his two main rivals for the MVP award, but he was known as a reckless and selfish player even with those guys around him.  Does he have a lot of physical talent?  Of course he does, but he's not even the best player in the league right now, much less one of the greatest of all time.

So it was Westbrook's responsibility to win OKC a title and not Durant and Harden's?  Don't really get your point with that.  How many titles have the other two won?

Both Durant and Harden bolted from OKC when they had a chance.  Not only did Westbrook stay with OKC, but he stayed with OKC when he knew he wasn't going to have a lot of help around him.  I don't ever fault a player for changing teams since this is as much a business for them as it is for the team, but it shows a lot of character to stick with the team/fans that made him who he is.

No matter how you spin it, it is extremely hard to average a triple double for a season.  If it wasn't, it would happen a lot more.  As far as turnovers, Harden averaged 5.7 for the season and Westbrook 5.4.  Does that make Harden reckless player, since according to you he handles the ball less than Westbrook but carries more turnovers per game?

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawganatic on April 17, 2017, 02:20:31 pm
No matter how you spin it, it is extremely hard to average a triple double for a season.  If it wasn't, it would happen a lot more. 

Insanely hard to do. But a player can still be selfish and do it....

EastexHawg

So it was Westbrook's responsibility to win OKC a title and not Durant and Harden's?  Don't really get your point with that.  How many titles have the other two won?

Both Durant and Harden bolted from OKC when they had a chance.  Not only did Westbrook stay with OKC, but he stayed with OKC when he knew he wasn't going to have a lot of help around him.  I don't ever fault a player for changing teams since this is as much a business for them as it is for the team, but it shows a lot of character to stick with the team/fans that made him who he is.

No matter how you spin it, it is extremely hard to average a triple double for a season.  If it wasn't, it would happen a lot more.  As far as turnovers, Harden averaged 5.7 for the season and Westbrook 5.4.  Does that make Harden reckless player, since according to you he handles the ball less than Westbrook but carries more turnovers per game?

Those are both extremely high turnover numbers.  No one else in the league averaged more than 4.1.  I'm not sure why you keep trying to draw me into a discussion about Harden.  I'm not a fan of his, but he doesn't seem to me to be the negative, sour, chippy, jerk personality that Westbrook is and I didn't really comment on him.

But to answer your question, I would say yes...both of those numbers demonstrate carelessness with the ball.  Westbrook committed nine turnovers last night and was 6 of 23 from the field as his team got blown out.  If he had gotten three more assists to go with his 22 points and 11 rebounds would you have been impressed with his triple double?  For that matter one more turnover and he could have had a quadruple double.

hawganatic

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2017, 02:47:16 pm
Insanely hard to do. But a player can still be selfish and do it....

You can spin anything an athlete does to make it appear selfish.  Usually comes down to your personal opinion of a player whether you think he's selfish or not, which appears to be the case here.

husker71

very few teams would not love to have Westbrook on their roster

ShadowHawg

Bad teams are a breeding ground for big stats. Anyone remember Kevin Love at Minnesota?

McKdaddy

Quote from: J-Five on April 17, 2017, 11:25:54 am
It's downright laughable to call someone a "punk" that you don't know personally, or who has done nothing to you personally...Just a take from a person who is not a fan of the OKC Thunder. 
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Quote from: factchecker on April 17, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
I don't follow pro basketball outside of pro-hogs so this is a genuine question:

Does he have a history of off court problems?

What makes him a punk?

SI did a lengthy article on him fall of 2016 (he declined interviews for it) and the amount of charitable endeavors, both anonymous and non, was quite extensive.

McKdaddy

Not only did Westbrook stay with OKC, but he stayed with OKC when he knew he wasn't going to have a lot of help around him.  I don't ever fault a player for changing teams since this is as much a business for them as it is for the team, but it shows a lot of character to stick with the team/fans that made him who he is.

Agreed, the expectation was for him to be the one exiting after the 2017 season, and KD to have re-signed following the 2016 season.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2017, 05:09:44 pm
Bad teams are a breeding ground for big stats. Anyone remember Kevin Love at Minnesota?

Not really comparable although I get your point. Love never came close to leading the miserable wolves to the playoffs. Westbrook pretty much took his team to the 6th seed in the west.

Dr. Starcs

Harden has been known as one of the worst floppers and defenders in the league.

Look, I respect harden if for nothing else he chose to leave a stacked team to lead a team on his own. Likewise I admire Westbrook for sticking with okc when Durant chose to join a super team.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 17, 2017, 06:45:16 pm
Harden has been known as one of the worst floppers and defenders in the league.

Look, I respect harden if for nothing else he chose to leave a stacked team to lead a team on his own. Likewise I admire Westbrook for sticking with okc when Durant chose to join a super team.

Harden got traded and was pretty pissed about it...

Hou-Hog

I like how hard Patrick plays but it does annoy me that when his name is announced during the starting line up at the Rocket games they say that he is from Chicago instead of Arkansas.

HamSammich

Quote from: Hou-Hog on April 17, 2017, 07:09:44 pm
I like how hard Patrick plays but it does annoy me that when his name is announced during the starting line up at the Rocket games they say that he is from Chicago instead of Arkansas.

Yeah that bothers me as well.

McKdaddy

Great Wow podcast w/ PBev last year.  I'll look for a link in a moment, but it's fantastic if you'd like some insight to him.

McKdaddy

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 17, 2017, 07:08:34 pm

Was he really?  My bad.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 17, 2017, 07:44:13 pm
Was he really?  My bad.

Yeah, OKC refused to go over the cap to sign him and wouldn't amnesty Perkins.  I don't remember the #'s, but I believe they lost Harden over approx 6M -- the Thunder offered 53M and Harden wanted the max of 58-60M (I don't recall exact figures).

latrops

As far as Westbrook/KD/ Harden not winning anything...they did make the finals, losing to Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Allen.  That was some stiff competition.

That trio wasnt together in OK for long.  Harden was traded after his third season there.  At the time he was a dynamic offensive player off the bench, but not really thought a future MVP.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 17, 2017, 07:40:48 pm
Great Wow podcast w/ PBev last year.  I'll look for a link in a moment, but it's fantastic if you'd like some insight to him.
Yeah it's definitely worth listening to. Woj has a lot of good ones. He gets a lot of executives and coaches which are always good listens.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

hawganatic

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 17, 2017, 06:07:17 pm
SI did a lengthy article on him fall of 2016 (he declined interviews for it) and the amount of charitable endeavors, both anonymous and non, was quite extensive.

Yeeesh!!!!  What a punk!!! 

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Buff

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 17, 2017, 07:08:34 pm

So were Thunder fans. 

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawganatic on April 17, 2017, 02:56:15 pm
You can spin anything an athlete does to make it appear selfish.  Usually comes down to your personal opinion of a player whether you think he's selfish or not, which appears to be the case here.

That's fair. It's an opinion if someone says he's selfish, and it's an opinion if someone says he is unselfish. I think there are certain things that could back either argument up.

But I firmly believe that a selfish player can rack up a lot of assist if he has enough volume. I don't think it's an opinion, at least, that both Harden and Westbrook are the two highest-usage player in the NBA. And, back to opinions, I believe a player that puts in little effort on defense is selfish, and Harden has displayed uneven effort on that side of the ball. He's put out two of the absolute worst defensive seasons I've seen from a top player in the league in the last few years. But, sandwiched in between, he had a season where it looked like he was at least putting forth regular effort (the year he finished second to Steph Curry in MVP voting). I'm a Rockets fan and Harden is honestly the biggest reason why I don't really watch them anymore. I can't stand his style of play, and yes, I do find it on the selfish side.

Pigs_In_Zen

It would be cool if "P Bev" was introduced as coming from his college - Arkansas, like most of the players. Instead, he is from "Chicago" when introduced. Does he have something against the school?

Since Westbrook creeped into the thresd, did anyone else see the video analysis of how OKC has inflated Westbrook's rebound stats? It really makes the whole thing seem a bit undeserved to me. He leads the league in uncontested rebounds. His teammates will avoid easy rebounds like the plague just so he can get them whenever possible. He gets 8.5 uncontested rebounds per game and averages 10.7 rebounds. If they just let him get 1 rebound per game, they've put him into the triple double.
Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein. - Joe Thiesmann

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pigs_In_Zen on April 18, 2017, 10:04:16 am
It would be cool if "P Bev" was introduced as coming from his college - Arkansas, like most of the players. Instead, he is from "Chicago" when introduced. Does he have something against the school?

Since Westbrook creeped into the thresd, did anyone else see the video analysis of how OKC has inflated Westbrook's rebound stats? It really makes the whole thing seem a bit undeserved to me. He leads the league in uncontested rebounds. His teammates will avoid easy rebounds like the plague just so he can get them whenever possible. He gets 8.5 uncontested rebounds per game and averages 10.7 rebounds. If they just let him get 1 rebound per game, they've put him into the triple double.

For lack of a better term, the triple double is a made up stat.  A guy who scores 12 points, gets credited with 10 rebounds, and has 10 assists has somehow done something more noteworthy than a Moses Malone or Wilt Chamberlain scoring 42 points, pulling down 35 rebounds, but "only" dishing out 5 or 6 assists.

As soon as the Oscar Robertson triple double stat began entering the discussion it was clear that Westbrook and the Thunder were going to do everything possible to ensure that he broke the record.  I have no knowledge of the uncontested rebound situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if players tried to let Westbrook get credit for them.  By the same token, if it's late in a game and he only has 9 assists you can bet both he and his teammates are intent on Russell passing up one of his usual 20-30 shots per game so he can get the assist to put him over the top.

When players can start playing to get a stat it makes the stat itself less impressive to me.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 18, 2017, 10:51:39 am
For lack of a better term, the triple double is a made up stat.  A guy who scores 12 points, gets credited with 10 rebounds, and has 10 assists has somehow done something more noteworthy than a Moses Malone or Wilt Chamberlain scoring 42 points, pulling down 35 rebounds, but "only" dishing out 5 or 6 assists.

As soon as the Oscar Robertson triple double stat began entering the discussion it was clear that Westbrook and the Thunder were going to do everything possible to ensure that he broke the record.  I have no knowledge of the uncontested rebound situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if players tried to let Westbrook get credit for them.  By the same token, if it's late in a game and he only has 9 assists you can bet both he and his teammates are intent on Russell passing up one of his usual 20-30 shots per game so he can get the assist to put him over the top.

When players can start playing to get a stat it makes the stat itself less impressive to me.

Who do you think should be MVP? Lebron or Kawhi?