Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 SEC Mens Basketball Projections

Started by GoHogs1091, March 06, 2017, 02:01:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/868139954634936324

Here's how all of the six SEC teams rank:

Kentucky – third in Fox, fourth in ESPN.com, fifth in CBS Sports.

Florida – 12th in Fox, eighth in ESPN.com, 10th in CBS Sports.

Alabama –  16th in Fox, 20th in CBS Sports.

Arkansas – 22nd in Fox.

Texas A&M – 24th in Fox,

Missouri  – 25th in ESPN.com.

ACC is next with five teams ranked.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brandon Walker‏ @BWalker_SEC 22h22 hours ago

I didn't realize that Ole Miss's self-imposed postseason ban extended to all sports.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/869660482113871873

Quote"I've had guys flip at the last minute, so until they actually send their stuff in, you don't know," Fox said Tuesday before SEC meetings.

Maten, a 6-foot-8 forward, was Georgia's leading scorer and rebounder last year until badly spraining his knee late in the year. He has played power forward and center in college, but given his size is more likely to have a different role if he wants to play in the NBA.

Given that, Fox and Maten have discussed using him differently next year –

"He's evolved every year more and more. That's kind of the natural progression we've taken with him since he came," Fox said. "Will he be used exactly as he was last year, no. Will he evolve to a degree, most certainly. But will he also go back to where he's done his most damage, absolutely."

Maten's return means that Georgia projects to return nine out of its 10 leading scorers from last season, though the exception is star All-SEC point guard J.J. Frazier. Fox also said there is no other unforeseen attrition...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/870320183193292800

Quote"This stuff has switched," Wildcats coach John Calipari said Wednesday at the league's spring meetings in Destin, Fla. "This is our time now. It's our turn. What we did last year was a great start of it."

First came better scheduling, then better coaching hires and improved facilities and huge leaps in recruiting — all of which finally paid off last season with five teams making the NCAA Tournament, four of them winning at least a game, three reaching the Elite Eight and South Carolina's stunning run to the Final Four.

Gamecocks coach Frank Martin received a standing ovation from his fellow coaches in Destin.

SEC teams toppled their fair share of high-profile opponents from other conferences last season: Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Michigan, Michigan State, Virginia, Wisconsin, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse.

"Scheduling was a big part of it," Calipari said, "but you gotta win. There were years where in November and December, we just lost games as a league, like, we can't lose games like that. This year, we didn't."

Both Arkansas and Vanderbilt nearly added to the league's bragging rights in the NCAA Tournament. The Razorbacks led the (eventual national champion) Tar Heels with 1:44 to go in the second round and were victims of some questionable officiating down the stretch. The Commodores led Northwestern with 14.6 seconds left before a confused player committed a heartbreaking foul.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 5h5 hours ago

Every team in the SEC returns at least three of its top five scorers from last season except for Kentucky, Florida, and South Carolina.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wes Rucker‏ @wesrucker247 10h10 hours ago

The more I look at this #Vols hoops roster heading into 2017-18 season, the more I think this team could be much better than people think.

Vols hoops has added arguably the nation's best juco scorer and also the kid who led NCAA DI in scoring in 2015-16. Not insignificant.

Vols hoops roster claims Fr F Zach Kent is 6-10. That means he's a legit 6-10, because Tennessee uses barefoot measurements.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/875776059685445632

QuoteWith seven returners who gained quality experience, as well as extra practice time allowed due to the team's trip to Italy in August, the head coach is using every moment of this period.

The Tigers are allowed 10 extra practices per the NCAA. Since there's no time limit, the workouts have resembled a typical 2 1/2- to 3-hour practice.

"It just allows us to get more in this summer, get more accomplished," Pearl said before an Auburn club meeting in Huntsville last week. "It gets me to experiment a little bit. I'm going to try some things this summer and overseas that I don't know I would have been able to do if I didn't have this experience."

Now that freshman forward Chuma Okeke has joined center Austin Wiley and the Tigers' other bigs, Pearl is testing different ways to use his team's length to its advantage.

Auburn struggled defensively at times and for the most part stayed away from zone defenses during its 18 wins in 2016, but that could change when the fall arrives.

"I have not played a lot of zone," Pearl said. "With the way they are calling the game now and some people don't respond well to it. I want to spend more time practicing more zone so it's more of a viable game for us."

Near the end of the season, Pearl emphasized that defensive improvement would be a huge focus this offseason.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/878665135853850627

QuoteAuburn's promising freshman forward sustained only a bone bruise and will be out just one to two weeks.

Four-star recruit from Georgia suffered the injury Monday during tryouts for the USA Under-19 world championship team. He underwent an initial MRI on Wednesday and returned to Auburn Thursday for further testing.

6-foot-7, 225-pound Georgia native was the No. 11 small forward and No. 45 overall prospect in this year's recruiting class...

jbcarol

'Positionless' Cats say they'll be 'real trouble' for opponents next season

QuoteCalipari's next group of Wildcats will be his youngest yet. Eight of his 11 scholarship players next season will be freshmen. The other three will be sophomores.

This roster doesn't appear to have a transcendent player like No. 1 draft picks John Wall, Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns, and expectations — though still sky high —

What this squad will feature — more so than any other Kentucky team under Calipari — is a cast of prospects that perfectly fits the UK coach's recent obsession with "positionless" basketball players.

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_SEC/status/878705846997438464

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECCountryVols/status/877174372074651648

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee graduate transfer James Daniel III comes to the Vols as one of the most highly-touted scorers in the country, but he's also bringing a lot of confidence.

"I have very high expectations for our group," Daniel said at the Pilot Rocky Top League's opening night at Catholic High ...

"We have a young team, but they got a lot of experience last year," he said. "Adding me and adding (junior college guard) Chris Darrington and a couple of freshmen, I feel as though we have a chance to not only win the conference, but like a national title."

Daniel transferred from Howard University with one year of eligibility left. In the 2015-16 season, he averaged 27.1 points — which led the nation —

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamSparks/status/879417454899978241

QuoteCommodores will tip off a period of 10 practices on July 10, which is permitted by the NCAA for offseason international trips. Vanderbilt will play in the Paradise Jam summer tour in the Virgin Islands Aug. 13-19.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/brandonsudge/status/879398121406640128

QuoteAthens

Time and time again last season, Georgia's basketball team would be in a tight contest and turn to its 5-foot-10 backcourt star to lead a potential comeback.

J.J. Frazier many times answered that call, but with Frazier now pursuing a professional career, there's a significant scoring void and adjustment period for head coach Mark Fox... The SEC appears to be improved, and Fox is facing lofty expectations in his eighth season.

"I think Tyree (Crump) and Jordan (Harris), obviously as sophomores, go into this year knowing what to do and expect," Fox said in Monday's SEC media teleconference. "They're much more comfortable in everything that they're doing, and the workouts have been pretty good. For the most part, they've stayed pretty healthy. They've had a really good offseason in preparation to absorb more minutes and hopefully get more shots."

In inconsistent action last season, Crump and Harris showed flashes of living up to the potential of their four-star recruiting rankings, whether it be the 13 points by Crump in a comeback win over Tennessee or three steals from Harris in a blowout road victory over Mississippi. Now, Georgia hopes that those short-lived peaks of success can translate into a more thorough role this season.

Crump and Harris will also have the duty of mentoring a newly signed guard through the turbulence that comes with a freshman season. The Bulldogs signed Teshaun Hightower, a Gwinnett County product, in the final signing period and look for him to gain some traction with the sophomore duo and junior guard Turtle Jackson.

"Juwan [Parker] is really doing well," Fox said. "He returned to the gym to start shooting balls a little earlier than we thought. He hasn't been cleared for live five-on-five play, and there are only one or two things that they're still limiting him from doing on the court. He's been able to do just about everything, outside of one or two activities. He's doing well and feels good."

Georgia had options at the wing to fill-in for Parker during his injury, with freshmen Rayshaun Hammonds and Nicolas Claxton joining junior E'Torrion Wilridge

Georgia has gotten some more positive news in terms of players returning. Yante Maten announced May 23 that he would be returning for his senior season after originally declaring for the NBA draft without an agent in April.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/879682005109272578

QuoteCOLUMBIA, MO. • After three last-place finishes in the Southeastern Conference and three years of empty seats at Mizzou Arena, the Missouri men's basketball program has grabbed the attention of the coaches around the league.

That's what happens when you hire an established head coach with SEC ties who then signs the nation's seventh-ranked recruiting class, including the No. 1 high school prospect.

The same coaches who are always in campaign mode to endorse SEC basketball prowess — you might have heard the league landed three teams in the 2017 Elite Eight, including first-time Final Four participant South Carolina — took turns Monday praising Mizzou's swift rebuild, which started March 15 when athletics director Jim Sterk hired Cuonzo Martin to pull the Tigers out of the Kim Anderson quagmire.

SEC coach who knows Missouri's program best said the Tigers will "be on everybody's radar" this season.

"I'm excited for Cuonzo," said Arkansas' Mike Anderson, Mizzou's coach from 2006-11. "Timing is everything. He's been able to put together a tremendous recruiting class. We always (say) coaching is sometimes overrated. You've got to have players."

Martin has reconstructed Mizzou's roster with five newcomers, headlined by 6-10 forward Michael Porter Jr., the country's top-rated recruit and winner of multiple national player of the year awards. Mike Anderson was still coaching at Mizzou when the Porter family arrived in Columbia in 2010. Porter Jr., who played at Father Tolton High School before moving to Seattle for his senior year, was 12 at the time and starting sixth grade.

"I can remember when the kid was 6 feet (tall)," Anderson said. "He shot up like a cannon."

Anderson also noted Mizzou's addition of 6-11 freshman forward Jeremiah Tilmon, a four-star prospect from East St. Louis expected to immediately contribute inside, plus the return of junior point guard Terrence Phillips and MU's other core veterans. The combination of MU's impact rookies and seasoned players has Martin's peers on alert, especially considering Martin's SEC experience. During Martin's three years as Tennessee's head coach (2011-14), only Kentucky's John Calipari and Florida's Billy Donovan won more games in the SEC than Martin's 63 victories.

"Cuonzo has been through the wars of the SEC," Mike Anderson said. "He knows what it takes to compete at a high level. I'm sure he'll turn it around really quick. He's got some good players there. Missouri has done a good job bringing in a guy that can recognize talent. He can get those guys to play at a high level. All it does is continue to put another team that's going to be on everybody's radar and have a chance to play postseason basketball at the end of the year."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AntonioCMorales/status/879465015270682624

QuoteSummer has plenty of value for Ole Miss, which is integrating several new faces into its program.

There's four-star prospect Devontae Shuler. There's grad transfer Markel Crawford, who played at Memphis last season. There's Bruce Stevens, a JUCO All-American at Jones County Junior College. And there's new Rebels assistant coach Rahim Lockhart, who coached Stevens.

Andy Kennedy knows those aforementioned players and coaches will bring something to the table this season, but on Monday he showered praise on one of his holdovers from last season: sophomore point guard Breein Tyree.

"The biggest improvement I've seen, just because now he's fully healthy and he didn't have this summer last year based on the injury coming out of high school is Breein Tyree," Kennedy said. "He suffered an ACL tear in April of his senior year ... So to see him back healthy, whole and with the confidence we recruited him with has been very pleasing."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/WillSammon/status/879685447487819776

QuoteSTARKVILLE — A late transfer left a scholarship open for Mississippi State and it is still unclear if that spot will be used for this upcoming season, Ben Howland said. At this point, there aren't many options left and that may suggest the scholarship will carry over into the following season.

The opening was created when Mario Kegler bolted for Baylor. Kegler leaving Mississippi State for Baylor despite having played the second-most minutes and attempted the third-most shots on the Bulldogs was not something Howland expected.

"For him to want to leave that situation was a little bit surprising," Howland said Monday during the SEC's summer teleconference. "But we wish him well."

"Mario did not really let us know that he was going to do that until the very end of May," Howland said. "What it does is, it gives us another scholarship that we have for this coming season and if we decide to use that this year, which still remains to be seen.

"In terms of our depth, at the end of the day, I think it's the best thing long-term. I think our guys have been great, and it creates opportunities for someone else."

That person could be Xavian Stapleton. Stapleton, who averaged 7.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per game, can stretch the floor at 6-foot-6, and may be in line for a starting role. Howland is expecting to get a boost from the presence of center Abdul Ado, who sat out last year because of eligibility issues. The Bulldogs also have depth at the guard position and could look to use a smaller lineup.

MSU is expecting only two additions. Former Dandy Dozen honoree Keyshawn Feazell, a forward out of Lawrence County is already on campus and is "better than I had hoped at this point," Howland said.

The hope, from MSU's perspective is that five-star point guard Nick Weatherspoon (Velma Jackson) joins the Bulldogs for the second summer session after needing to meet an academic requirement this month.

"We fully expect that to happen," Howland said.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JamesCrepea/status/879737364997955585

QuoteBruce Pearl is weighing how to deploy Auburn's personnel, with the possibility of utilizing two five-man units heavily under consideration.

Auburn has 11 eligible players for the 2017-18 season plus the addition of VCU transfer Samir Doughty, who officially signed on Tuesday and will sit out this season.

"I have 11 really good players and I'm not bringing - we made a conscious decision, a conscious effort, all spring to resist the temptation to bring in a 12th eligible player," Pearl said. "Because I don't need anybody else eligible ...

"I look at us as a team that will play 10. I can't see us not playing fewer than 10. Our strength is our depth. Whether or not we platoon, that might be something I look at, like John (Calipari) did a couple of years ago at Kentucky. I don't know that I will, but it's something that I'm definitely going to look at.

Favorites for the starting five are clearly Austin Wiley at center, Danjel Purifoy at small forward and Mustapha Heron at shooting guard, with Horace Spencer and Chuma Okeke competing at power forward and Jared Harper and Davion Mitchell vying for the point guard job. Then there are returning players with significant experience in Bryce Brown and Anfernee McLemore, junior college transfer guard Malik Dunbar and forward Desean Murray, who sat out last year after transferring from Presbyterian.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/879738716964696064

QuoteKentucky freshmen Hamidou Diallo, P.J. Washington and Kevin Knox were all with their coach, John Calipari, for at least a few days in Colorado. While Knox headed back to Lexington early with a hamstring injury — after looking at times like the best player in the gym —

It's a great opportunity for those key Cats, who along with Knox seem likely to start at Kentucky from Day 1, to get a head start.

BRUCE PEARL (Auburn coach)

"The guys I'm highest on are Washington and Knox. I'm really high on those guys. Great size, skill set, know how to play, can shoot, pass and handle —"

DANNY MANNING (Wake Forest coach)

"[Washington] is extremely versatile; he's got a very good skillset. He handles the ball well, passes it well, has a good feel and understanding of the game. [Knox] is a guy who does a lot of different things —"

MIKE DECOURCY (Sporting News)

"P.J. impressed me the most in terms of his readiness to play right now with what they need him to do at the position they need him to fill. ... He plays hard, he drives the ball, he's aggressive...

"Kevin Knox gets to great spots. That's a great sign. He's such a gifted athlete and has such a good head for how to get through an offense. He's always in the right spot; the next step will be becoming a guy who makes that shot when he gets to that spot. He has a lot of arc on his shot...

"Hamidou, I think this is really important for him, because he hasn't played in so long. Of the three [it's most important for him], absolutely. You're starting to see a more confident player, a more fluid player, and he's making shots..."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 15m15 minutes ago

Best returning PG in the SEC is Auburn's Jared Harper. League is much deeper than last year, but lost several quality floor generals.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/882636456103170048

QuoteAustin Wiley had his worst performance of the FIBA U-19 World Cup on Wednesday, but it still didn't slow down Team USA.

Wiley finished with just two points and three rebounds, but Team USA routed Mali, 117-69...

P.J. Washington led Team USA with 20 points.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/883279347053940736

Quote"Coach [Rick Barnes] put the bug in my ear and said you've got to take advantage of it every time you're playing, it doesn't matter who you are playing against," Bone said. "You never know when the ball is going to stop bouncing, so I put that in my head that every time I step on the court, I need to give it my all."

Rising junior Admiral Schofield was the most impressive of the Vols' players in summer league action, while Pilot Rocky Top League commissioner Andre Whitehead said Kyle Alexander showed the most improvement since the end of last season.

Here's a look at the summer league shooting percentages and scoring averages of the Tennessee players — past and present — from the 5-game schedule each played at Knoxville Catholic:

(Note: past players in italics)

Admiral Schofield: 37.0 PPG; 64.5%FG; 38% 3PT-FG; 11-15 FT-FTA
Jalen Johnson: 24.3 PPG; 73.2% FG; 19% 3PT-FG; 1-3 FT-FTA
Jordan Bowden: 19.0 PPG; 75% FG; 36.7% 3PT-FG; 0-0 FT-FTA
Jordan Bone: 17.8 PPG; 53.5% FG; 32.4% 3PT-FG; 10-12 FT-FTA
Bobby Maze: 17.33 PPG; 75% FG; 18.8% 3PT-FG; 7-10 FT-FTA
Lew Evans: 15.5 PPG; 71.4% FG; 35% 3PT-FG; 0-2 FT-FTA
Chris Darrington: 15.25 PPG; 38.1%FG; 36.4% 3PT-FG; 9-12 FT-FTA
Kyle Alexander: 15.0 PPG; 71.7% FG; 15.4% 3PT-FG; 3-8 FT-FTA
Derrick Walker: 14.0 PPG; 49.2% FG; 0% 3PT-FG; 12-22 FT-FTA
Brad Woodson: 13.8 PPG; 60% FG; 36.5% 3PT-FG; 0-0 FT-FTA
Grant Williams: 12.2 PPG; 71.0% FG; 28.6% 3PT-FG; 5-6 FT-FTA
Wayne Chism: 11.3 PPG; 71.4% FG; 33.3% 3PT-FG; 2-2 FT-FTA
Jacob Fleschman: 7.8 PPG; 40.0% FG; 36.7% 3PT-FG; 2-2 FT-FTA
Zach Kent: 6.3 PPG; 54.5% FG; 42.9% 3PT-FG; 4-6 FT-FTA
Lucas Campbell: 5.33 PPG; 33.3% FG; 36.4% 3PT-FG; 0-1 FT-FTA

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 17m17 minutes ago

While chemistry & role allocation still need to be worked out, Texas A&M boasts SEC's best blend of youth & experience on paper. Not close.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DMullen14/status/883741184329494529

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein Jul 8

Jon Rothstein Retweeted Dylan Mullen

Bulldogs will be better, but so will the SEC.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 07, 2017, 11:44:36 am
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 17m17 minutes ago

While chemistry & role allocation still need to be worked out, Texas A&M boasts SEC's best blend of youth & experience on paper. Not close.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/883737678650499072

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/884763855594938369

QuoteCOLUMBIA, MO. • There is nothing fancy about Cuonzo Martin's ongoing construction project over in Boone County.

Missouri's new men's basketball coach has set firm, basic and crystal clear objectives for the group. Freshman guard C.J. Roberts saw that when Martin made a home visit, hoping to retain his commitment to the school after Kim Anderson's departure.

"He just came in, looked me in my eyes and told me 'I'm not going to let you cut corners, I'm going to be on you about everything, little things, it's going to be a short leash. I want you to be great, you want to be great, that's what we're going to do,'" Roberts recalled.

Freshman guard Blake Harris got the picture when he recovered from wrist surgery and was cleared to practice fully.

The physical defensive play got his attention, along with the vocal scrimmage communication.

Junior forward Kevin Puryear was used to mixing it up, but Martin's brisk practice pace challenged him.

"The speed is just ... I've never been through anything like this speed, ever, in my career," Puryear said.

Anderson preached defense when he returned to his alma mater as head coach, but his teams seldom got after opponents. Middling programs (or worse) could come into Mizzou Arena and win games.

He tried to instill discipline, issuing suspension after suspension during his first year, but failed to restore order. He shied away from transfers and preached personnel continuity, but suffered wholesale defections.

He hoped to turn the corner once he finally had "his" players in place, but nothing changed in Year 3. So Martin is starting over, stressing mental toughness, physical conditioning, defensive tenacity and offensive adaptability.

If that means strapping on 15-pound weight vests for a whole practice, that's what...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/885549753865580544

Porter had his transcripts approved by the NCAA last month, allowing him to enroll at MU.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/887995940723937280

QuoteTennessee basketball team will have two new guards this season, and coach Rick Barnes expects them to bring scoring to the backcourt.

Barnes wanted to address the lack of a scoring threat from the guard position last season.

"I can only go back to a year ago with our last game," Barnes said. "We had the ball against Georgia, our guards had chances to make plays and didn't. One thing we wanted to do in the offseason and we felt we maybe had to do that with older guys.

"With Chris Darrington and James Daniel we felt we could get guys who like to score and [are] not afraid to go make plays."

Daniel, a graduate transfer from Howard, led the NCAA in scoring as a junior in the 2015-16 season with 27.1 points per game.

Darrington comes to Tennessee as a highly touted junior college transfer. He ranked as the No. 14 best JUCO player in the country last season, according to 247Sports.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound guard averaged 20.7 points per game last season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/889577763203690496

QuoteSoutheastern Conference team no one expected to make the Final Four in Phoenix is now the short-term model for nearly everyone else in the league, including Alabama.

"Be like the South Carolina Gamecocks" could be a rallying call for the upcoming 2017-18 men's basketball season. With high expectations for Kentucky and maybe Florida, the rest of the league hopes for a similar leap...

"Hopefully we'll be ready to take that take step," Alabama coach Avery Johnson said. The Crimson Tide certainly has the potential to land just its second NCAA Tournament invitation since 2006 this season — and then, who knows?

Alabama went 19-15 last season, and 10-8 in league play, which was good enough to tie Ole Miss and Vanderbilt for fifth in the SEC, only to land yet another NIT appearance.

ama fans were quick to note that the Crimson Tide were the last team to beat the Gamecocks prior to the NCAA Tournament. They also won their other matchup as well in four overtimes — 90-86 on Feb. 7, when host South Carolina was ranked No. 19.

While there's no doubt that Alabama is a better team on paper than it was a year ago, having added a terrific recruiting class led by guards Collin Sexton and John Petty, there's no guarantee that will translate into a jump up in the SEC standings.

That's not a knock on the Crimson Tide, because the league is stepping up its game as well.

Arkansas and Texas A&M were solid last year and shouldn't be overlooked.

Razorbacks finished third in the league and made the NCAA field. Daryl Macon and Jaylen Barford both withdrew their names from the NBA draft and coach Mike Anderson added a solid recruiting class.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/890684214751965184

QuoteAuburn is one of four SEC teams on the list, trailing No. 13 Kentucky, No. 20 Alabama and No. 21 Arkansas.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein Jul 29

South Carolina has two guys in the NBA, but hardest thing for Gamecocks to replace may be Duane Notice's on-ball defense. Head of the snake.

Hearing Alabama's early back court look in prep for its foreign tour is Dazon Ingram and Collin Sexton together. Can you say hard to guard?

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 4h4 hours ago

Hearing while Wenyen Gabriel has been Kentucky's best player this summer, program's biggest surprise has been Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

The buzz surrounding Texas A&M's J.J. Caldwell is beyond palpable and it's only August. Could be SEC's most impactful newcomer next season.

Tom Hart‏ @tom_hart 4h4 hours ago
ummm, there's an SEC newcomer named Porter who is likely to be fairly impactful if I'm not mistaken.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago

Jon Rothstein Retweeted Tom Hart

No question. But Caldwell has a chance to make Texas A&M the SEC's best team. Winning trumps everything. See Simmons, Fultz.

jbcarol

Pearl is confident competition and depth will be aplenty throughout his program in the coming months

Quote"It's really competitive," Pearl said. "It really is, but it's also the guys are really working hard and playing together."

Malik Dunbar joined the team on Friday after finishing up academically at College of Central Florida and transfer Desean Murray — who sat out last season — will make the [August Italy] trip, too.

Adding faces has highlighted the second potential issue Pearl is appreciating: depth.

"We literally have two potential starters at every position," Pearl said.

Tigers are hoping to put together a season capped with an NCAA Tournament appearance.  The time abroad in a way will be a spring board allowing Auburn to get a "head start"...

Already Auburn has worked diligently on improving its transition defense, for example.

"It helps you throughout the season," Pearl said of his team's time overseas. "We are further ahead. It takes a little pressure off in the fall, helps the guys get adjusted a little bit."

Austin Wiley will benefit from some time off, as he'll be sidelined during the trip with a stress fracture, but the entire group will get some time off upon the return to the states.

"I think in the long run that's going to help us be fresh, or fresher," Pearl said.

Already there's chatter about the ensuing starting battle at point guard. And then there's the question of who will play alongside Wiley.

"If everyone is focused on the name on the front of the jersey and not the name on the back of the jersey," Pearl said, "everyone's going to be happy. We'll be playing together, we'll be playing beautiful basketball and we'll be winning.

"When we are successful, you as an individual have a chance to benefit more than if you as an individual are successful but the team fails."

jbcarol

LSU basketball: Tigers land impact Southern Utah transfer Randy Onwuasor

QuoteDespite having the no. 1 pick in the NBA Draft just two seasons ago, it has been a rough couple of years for LSU basketball. But with the hiring of former VCU head coach Will Wade, a new era has begun in Baton Rouge, and there is plenty of reason for optimism.

Along with being a fresh face, Wade has a reputation as a very good recruiter, and he figures to bring in plenty of talent to the program. He earned a big lift in that area on Saturday, as LSU landed the commitment of impact graduate transfer Randy Onwuasor, formerly from Southern Utah:

Onwuasor put up big numbers in 2016-17, averaging 23.6 points per game for the Thunderbirds.

Despite that huge scoring average, Onwuasor has some work to do in terms of efficiency, as he shot just 41 percent from the field, and 31 percent [from treyville].

Wade is also in the mix for Mitchell Robinson who bailed on Rick Stansbury and Western and a potential Oregon transfer (10-12 mpg) accused of sexual assault has been cleared of criminal charges.

jbcarol

Bama star freshman fine after injury scare

QuoteCollin Sexton is fine after an injury scare during the Crimson Tide's exhibition game against Carleton Wednesday night, according to an Alabama spokesman.

Sexton left with an apparent injury late in the fourth quarter of the Tide's 84-71 loss.

Prior to exiting, Sexton scored 15 points and had eight assists in 30 minutes.

Sexton was the No. 1 point guard and No. 4 overall prospect in this year's recruiting class (and maybe ever).