Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Briles as Saban's next reclamation project?

Started by jbcarol, January 26, 2017, 09:15:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/824364494981840903

QuoteMOBILE, Ala. – Art Briles chuckled when asked if he could envision himself in the SEC.

"If it's got a football on the field, that's where I picture myself," the former Baylor coach told SEC Country. "Just anywhere."

Briles, 61, was at Senior Bowl practices Wednesday at Ladd-Peebles Stadium to rekindle connections with friends in the NFL and throughout college football. He hasn't coached since leading the Bears to a 10-3 record in 2015.

Briles was fired in May 2016 after a massive sexual assault scandal rocked Baylor, where Briles posted a 65-37 record in eight seasons. The highpoint of his tenure came when the Bears won 11 games in both the 2013 and 2014 campaigns, capped by appearances in the Fiesta and Cotton bowls.

"Just reconnecting with a lot of friends at the NFL level, then collegiately also," Briles said. "I've been coming to the Senior Bowl for the last six, seven years. It's always a great deal in Mobile. It's a neat town. And people are friendly down South, I can tell you that."

Briles doesn't have a history in the SEC.

Briles said no SEC programs have contacted him about possible employment.

"Just hanging on and staying faithful," he said.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Art Briles is still looking for a job almost a year after getting fired, and his best chance may be to go talk to Nick Saban

QuoteBriles needs a lot of help to get an FBS job again. That probably includes a big-name coach like Saban being willing to take a chance on him.

There are no reports of any interest in Briles from Alabama at this time. Saban has had some high-profile coaching reclamation projects recently, particularly on his offensive staff.

He brought in Lane Kiffin despite his reputation for being difficult to manage. He recently promoted Steve Sarkisian to offensive coordinator. Sarkisian was fired at USC after public struggles with alcoholism.

Reports and speculation recently linked Briles to the offensive coordinator vacancy at Auburn. However, the Tigers quickly made it clear that he was not a candidate.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net