Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gotya update 2.0

Started by gotyacovered, January 07, 2016, 03:24:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i will be checking in daily, lets get this sucka back like it was...

1. i flew about 125 hours is 2015, sitting on around 520TT. that puts my annual average right at 120; gonna try and hit 150 this year... and i will have my IFR, period.
2. i joined angel flight a couple weeks ago... anyone else a member?
3. my airplane is officially for sale, not listed. had an appraisal done by dan howard out of tulsa, they want to sell it for me, but we have not signed the paperwork (yet). my pard has cold feet. 

i am in the market for a pre-1985 C206, keep yer eyes peeled for me. they are really difficult to find when you narrow it down to non-turbo and not ridden hard.

if it is the right plane, i would consider a 210.

also, cherokee 6/A36/saratoga is not out of the question, but like the 210, it would have to be the right deal. i am really turned off by a cherokee 6, every one i have been in, is a pig with a load. that includes a 6X 300HP

here is some genral info on my 182 if you guys hear anyone lookin'

N42653 - 1968 Cessna 182L
•         Airframe TT: 2780.65
•         Tan Vinyl interior with normal wear, no holes rips or tears. 6 out of 10
•         Red, white and gray, 85% of the plane is white. Both the interior and paint were done in Mena, AR circa 1997. The glass is in good shape, a couple years away from replacing the rear window. There is some bubbling on the upper cowl intake. Exterior 8 out of 10.
•         The most recent annual (October 2015) was squawk free with the exception of replacing the nose tube/tire. I also had him re-paint the nose wheel pant while the tire was off. It has not been re-installed yet.
•         In September 2014 we purchased an engine from Steve Knopp (P.Ponk Aviation). We opted for the highest HP option he provides for a 470 conversion. The 470-50 is 275hp and included a heavy duty crank; Skytec starter C12ST5; Aeroclassic heavy duty oil cooler 8000545; spin off oil filter.
•         Continental/PPA O-470-50 has 151.55 hours. 
•         McCauley D3A34C401/90DFA-10 3 Blade was purchased from Memphis propeller and installed with the pponk and has 151.55 hours.
•         All logs are accounted for, no damage history and the next annual is due 11/2016. It is IFR current until 02/2016.
•         The avionics are old. The King audio panel with marker beacon (KMA-20?); 4 place non-stereo intercom with dual KX-175's; Garmin 696 yoke mounted (I plan on keeping); King KN-64DME; the transponder is a KT-76. No auto pilot. Dual PTT talk switched (pilot/co-pilot).
•         Fuel capacity is 84 gals (79 useful).
•         We had an EI FP-5 and EI UBG 16 installed with the engine in 09/2014.
•         Useful load is 1100lbs and has been hangered its entire life. I bought 50% of the airplane in September of 2011; my partner has owned it for the last 27-28 years.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Gotya,
I've seen a couple of your threads relating to this topic on the AOPA forums.  Wishing you the best in all of that.

I had always wondered, but never asked where the name P.Ponk came from.  Just figured it out when I read your post.  Knopp backwards.  How clever.

This might be worth thinking about:
After having a large bore Continental, and having all the cylinder issues we've had with my 0-470R, and hearing almost everyone say that it's the norm with having a large bore Continental, the one thing that I have thought about in regard to my next trade is to get something with a Lycoming IO-540.  I keep hearing good things in regard to Lycoming engines, making it to TBO, etc,,, and even more good things in particular about the IO-540.   Although there is probably another camp that has just as many bad things to say about them as others do about Continental.  Maybe kind of a Ford vs Chevy deal. 

Very anxious to see how it all turns out.  Keep us posted. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

January 08, 2016, 10:56:22 am #2 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:47:14 am by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on January 08, 2016, 10:35:32 am
Gotya,
I've seen a couple of your threads relating to this topic on the AOPA forums.  Wishing you the best in all of that.

I had always wondered, but never asked where the name P.Ponk came from.  Just figured it out when I read your post.  Knopp backwards.  How clever.

This might be worth thinking about:
After having a large bore Continental, and having all the cylinder issues we've had with my 0-470R, and hearing almost everyone say that it's the norm with having a large bore Continental, the one thing that I have thought about in regard to my next trade is to get something with a Lycoming IO-540.  I keep hearing good things in regard to Lycoming engines, making it to TBO, etc,,, and even more good things in particular about the IO-540.   Although there is probably another camp that has just as many bad things to say about them as others do about Continental.  Maybe kind of a Ford vs Chevy deal. 

Very anxious to see how it all turns out.  Keep us posted. 

i have no idea if this is true, but my local mx always says... topend with conti's and bottom end with lycoming.

i love getting the opions of some of those folks on teh red board, althought the usefullness of the thread is gone about halfway thru page 3 ;D

if anyone else is a red board member, is the thread: http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=97469

bvillepig

I loved my Lycoming in the Saratoga. I put over 1500 hrs on it and it was solid. never a hiccup.

I have the Cont in the Cirrus and one cylinder at 1100 hours is going to be done at annual in April.  I would love to have the Lycoming back.

Good luck.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on January 08, 2016, 09:46:31 pm
I loved my Lycoming in the Saratoga. I put over 1500 hrs on it and it was solid. never a hiccup.

I have the Cont in the Cirrus and one cylinder at 1100 hours is going to be done at annual in April.  I would love to have the Lycoming back.

Good luck.

bville! hola.

seems like that is very common with the cirrus line. is your cirrus turbo?

i am getting right seat time is a cirrus, soon. i have sat in it some... its a sports car for sure... and there is more room than i expected. really cool airplane.

been doing a little saratoga shopping in all this mess... there are some deal out there on those things. very highly regarded airplane... i know you loved yours, if they just put the wing on the right side of the fuselage ;D

bvillepig

LOL and Hola to you. I love me a little Yucatan Mexico. The wing is in exactly the right place.

The Cirrus is a fun airplane to fly. You have to be on top of it because going down you are not slowing down so you have to stay well ahead of it. I can see why a few guys that I talk to who have transitioned from a Cirrus to a Mustang or Eclipse say its an easy transition.

I still liked the Saratoga better overall. Just a personal pref, I like an SUV truck feel a little better than a sports car.

The side stick is not an issue but I don't like the feel. It has springs attached to it so you don't get the feed back through the yoke that you do with other aircraft.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on January 14, 2016, 03:26:18 pm
LOL and Hola to you. I love me a little Yucatan Mexico. The wing is in exactly the right place.

The Cirrus is a fun airplane to fly. You have to be on top of it because going down you are not slowing down so you have to stay well ahead of it. I can see why a few guys that I talk to who have transitioned from a Cirrus to a Mustang or Eclipse say its an easy transition.

I still liked the Saratoga better overall. Just a personal pref, I like an SUV truck feel a little better than a sports car.

The side stick is not an issue but I don't like the feel. It has springs attached to it so you don't get the feed back through the yoke that you do with other aircraft.

HA... just wrote the insurance on my 3rd cirrus in as many weeks with an average savings to the client of 8.7% ($290). when you get your renewal paperwork... think of gotya!!!!

i think pard is gettin' cold feet on selling, i am in limbo and hate it.

also, was in Heber giving a friend a ride to pick up his baron... my skytec starter installed 09/2014 with <150 hours on it locked up. PITA. it was almost (ALMOST) worth it seeing them try to hand prop the pponk'd 470-50 ;D

they are backing up their product though... full replacement--no out of pocket... airplanes. :shakin' my head:

bvillepig

I will give you a call on the insurance. I think it is up in mid April.

I had some skytec starter issues years ago. By chance or luck after my third starter in three weeks and getting stranded I ended up talking to the owners son. We had quite a good conversation on manufacturing processes and QC. lol 

They made everything right and I did not have any more issues.

theFlyingHog

I had a starter issue on a 1986 Johnson 25 in a really bad spot in the White River bottoms last spring. I was able to work around it thanks to something I remembered from a training manual Barry Beck wrote. Thought it was overpriced when I bought it but that saved me two days of paddling

gotyacovered

little starter follow up. it was the solenoid. major props to skytec though. while they had it there they REPLACED (overhauled i guess) at no charge, i basically got a brand new starter.

gotyacovered

i found a P206C and a pard. really excited, need to stay in reality b/c there is a long ways to go before i am flying this sucker. really, REALLY excited. i wish it was a "U" and had an auto pilot, but that is truly the only negatives (so far) :knocking on wood:

i need as much info as possible... anyone have any 206 (esp P206) time? has an IO-520, nice avionics including a 530 (not sure if its WAAS yet) and have not verify the TTAF, engine time its low), new interior, new paint... as i get details i'll pass em along. same owner for 20 years, he is a career pilot with a BE55 and a 182 also.

any input welcome, please dont be shy.

GusMcRae

That is exciting.  Good luck.  And good luck getting out of the partnership you're in.

I don't have much input to your situation other than if the 530 is non WAAS, it cost me roughly $4,000 to upgrade my 430 to WAAS, and that included installation, which requires a different antennae and wire.  I am told that if a 430 or 530 unit ever needs working on, they will not support service on a non-WAAS unit (such as if the screen goes out). 

It's a good thing you weren't already spoiled to a AP.  Mine is a heading AP only, no alt hold.  I was without it for awhile 2 different times due to the roll pin that holds the worm gear in place came out, and again now because the DG needs overhauled or replaced (operates off of a heading bug on the DG).  I miss the heck out of it when it's inop.  And I know they are an expensive item to add to a plane without one.   

For any plane purchases in my future, paint and interior will not be nearly as important as IFR avionics, AP, engine monitor, time on the airframe and engine.  If you could see my plane, you can tell P&I wasn't very important when I purchased it either. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

March 01, 2016, 10:21:43 am #12 Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:43:35 pm by gotyacovered
man, what a day i had yesterday... as you know i just got ym 182 out of the shop getting a transponder installed...

my wife spent the weekend in 30A and i went and picked her up yesterday morning.

when i was landing, i shot the VOR (for fun). as i got to the FAF my DME flashed, went off. i cycled the power and it started acting really weird. being in a critical phase, i just turned it off and landed. quick turn after a re-fuel... on climb out i noticed some usual static in communication with ATC or 'in cockpit' with the wife. 20 mins into the flight it had gotten worse, my DME was still not working, and my #3 EGT started mis-behaving and worse of all--i was barely able to communicate with ATC. the coms got so garbled and unreadable i could barely handle handoff's. luckily i fly the route enough that i knew all the freq's. i started trouble shooting by eliminating the only thing i could think of that they all had in common--voltage. i began powering systems down, ran everything that i was able off backup battery power (696)--the only thing that was sucking juice was the transponder, com 1. i requested to shut down the transponder for trouble shooting and it approved. no joy. upon power up ATC lost mode c but still was getting me on radar. it was a complete PITA.

yesterday afternoon i was able to get it back to the avionics shop NOROD.

anyways, thought i would share my thoughts/lessons... i can remember thinking multiple times... all of this HAS to be related, the odds of these issues occurring at (or very near) the same time are astronomical. whelp, i was wrong...

bad connection on the DME (post transponder install mistake); i didnt notice it until the approach;
egt probe went bad;
no mode c, b/c i was unfamiliar with the 'new' transponder ops, upon power up after a re-boot you have to turn 'alt' mode on;
intercom went bad.

not any one event was related to the other...

GusMcRae

That is a lot to be going wrong all at once. 

I would hate to have all that happening in IMC, or in the middle of Class Bravo.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 07, 2016, 01:06:31 pm
That is a lot to be going wrong all at once. 

I would hate to have all that happening in IMC, or in the middle of Class Bravo.

Uh-yah... I'll post a write up when it's all over, but this has been an incredibly painful experience. Looking like we are going to go back with a new audio panel/wiring. This would only be a complete process if my nav/coms would go out 2-3 days after install is complete.

gotyacovered

picking her up thursday or friday... new transponder, new audio panel. sheesh. quick way to get rid of some currency.