Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting Missouri

Started by Hawghiggs, September 22, 2015, 09:40:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawghiggs

redeye

This was actually a gripe of mine many years ago, but I've been satisfied with how we've recruited there in recent years.  The problem is that there aren't that many recruits there and so many schools recruit the few that exist (e.g. Nebraska and Oklahoma have recruited Missouri hard for years).  I would like to see more effort from our current coaches in St. Louis, though.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 22, 2015, 09:40:40 pm
  Every year we should be getting 3 or 4 players from this state. So why aren't we recruiting it more?   Places like Nebraska, Kansas State, and Iowa are constantly recruiting it. So why not us?

Just throwing these four out there.

1, https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Boe-Wilson-162966
2, https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Chase-Behrndt-170541
3, https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Cale-Garrett-159661#latest_news
4, https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Roddrick-Bryant-164474

Just 2 years ago we got like 3 of their top seven in Wallace, Peavey and Watts

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 22, 2015, 09:56:11 pm
I know. But what happened? Why have we not had continued success?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: redeye on September 22, 2015, 09:50:40 pm
This was actually a gripe of mine many years ago, but I've been satisfied with how we've recruited there in recent years.  The problem is that there aren't that many recruits there and so many schools recruit the few that exist (e.g. Nebraska and Oklahoma have recruited Missouri hard for years).  I would like to see more effort from our current coaches in St. Louis, though.
Mizzou is very similar to Arkansas in that regard. But that still doesn't mean we shouldn't be getting a few each season.

redeye

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 22, 2015, 10:10:53 pm
Mizzou is very similar to Arkansas in that regard. But that still doesn't mean we shouldn't be getting a few each season.

Yea, I agree.  There was a time when we rarely ever recruited Missouri, though.

Mick

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 22, 2015, 10:08:31 pm
I know. But what happened? Why have we not had continued success?

We do have a guy committed from there in this years class. I agree its a area we need to hit but we seem to be doing it at least somewhat.

RazorPiggie

Missouri is similar to Arkansas. They just don't produce a ton of talent. You'd think KC or St Louis would produce at least 5 pretty highly rated guys each year.

jackflash

we tried to recruit Missouri just haven't done a good job getting some players to come

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 22, 2015, 09:56:11 pm

But none have done a thing here so maybe they were over rated.  We will see I guess.

Rating services sometimes make mistakes.

mizzouman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 23, 2015, 08:56:18 am
Missouri is similar to Arkansas. They just don't produce a ton of talent. You'd think KC or St Louis would produce at least 5 pretty highly rated guys each year.
Not sure it's similar to Arkansas.  I don't know the numbers but I would suspect that Missouri produces twice as many NFL players than Arkansas.  But I could be wrong.

ARtillahog

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 08:09:47 am
Not sure it's similar to Arkansas.  I don't know the numbers but I would suspect that Missouri produces twice as many NFL players than Arkansas.  But I could be wrong.

Missouri est pop. in 2013 - 6,038,587  83.7 ppl/sq mile
Arkansas est pop in 2013 - 2,965,879  56.4 ppl/sq mile

Techinically speaking, MO should have 2 times the NFL players as Arkansas.

mizzouman

Quote from: ARtillahog on September 24, 2015, 08:51:25 am
Missouri est pop. in 2013 - 6,038,587  83.7 ppl/sq mile
Arkansas est pop in 2013 - 2,965,879  56.4 ppl/sq mile

Techinically speaking, MO should have 2 times the NFL players as Arkansas.
There you go.  Not similar at all.

RazorPiggie

I don't know if y'all do or not but what I'm saying is Mizzou has to go out of state to get a majority of its recruiting class similar to Arkansas & UK and unlike the rest of the SEC schools.

mizzouman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 24, 2015, 09:03:38 am
I don't know if y'all do or not but what I'm saying is Mizzou has to go out of state to get a majority of its recruiting class similar to Arkansas & UK and unlike the rest of the SEC schools.
Oh, yes, I agree, but that's equating Arkansas and Mizzou's recruiting strategy and not the talent coming out of each state. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 09:38:54 am
Oh, yes, I agree, but that's equating Arkansas and Mizzou's recruiting strategy and not the talent coming out of each state. 

They have to have that recruiting strategy because there's not a lot of talent coming out of each state. Mizzou nor Arkansas would win many games if the roster was full of kids from their state.

mizzouman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 24, 2015, 10:29:28 am
They have to have that recruiting strategy because there's not a lot of talent coming out of each state. Mizzou nor Arkansas would win many games if the roster was full of kids from their state.
To be honest, the only schools that can have a roster mostly of in state kids and be successful are schools from Cali, Texas, GA, FL and maybe LA and Miss.  All other schools have to go out of state as well.

jvanhorn

Well, we don't have an NFL team so what is the point?   You can be extremely good college player and not turn out to be suited for the NFL.

ARtillahog

Quote from: jvanhorn on September 25, 2015, 01:37:04 am
Well, we don't have an NFL team so what is the point?   You can be extremely good college player and not turn out to be suited for the NFL.

Usually, a higher number of NFL players means they were really good college players and also increases the level of competition within the state's high school football programs.  Speculation of course...

SC Hogfan

I grew up and played ball in Missouri. You will find random good/great players throughout the state, but if you want more bang for the buck, St. Louis, Columbia, and KC are the biggest areas with the bigger schools and players.
Columbia kids will be drawn more to Mizzou if they want to stay home, and KC and StL kids will have more of the inner city problems...grades, environment, not being Uncommon.
Played against just a few guys that went D-1, but they are out there. I love the StL Cardinals, but it would take a lot for me to live in that area. Nothing else comes close to making me want to live there. Only been to KC a couple of times so I can't speak in depth on those conditions. However, it is a major city with all the accompanying problems.
American by birth.
Southern by the grace of God.
And a Razorback till I die.
WPS!

Grizzlyfan

Speaking of Missouri, it seems that Mitchell Smith of Van Buren has committed to the University of.  thoughts?

redeye

Missouri produces a few more players, but not twice as many.  Based on the state where they were born, Arkansas has produced 306 NFL players, while Missouri produced 387.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.htm

Using where they went to high school isn't much different.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-18/nfl-players-state-by-state-breakdown-california-florida-louisiana-texas-south-ca

jackflash

If you look at Auburn 2016 recruits they have two from Alabama the rest is from Ga and Florida for the most part. Fl LA and TX is where we have to do better

scruf

It's been harder to recruit Missouri the last two years since they've won the SEC East the last two years. Think about that for a minute. If Arkansas won the SEC West two years straight do you think Missouri's coaches would even cross the state line to recruit?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: scruf on September 28, 2015, 03:27:03 pm
It's been harder to recruit Missouri the last two years since they've won the SEC East the last two years. Think about that for a minute. If Arkansas won the SEC West two years straight do you think Missouri's coaches would even cross the state line to recruit?

Yet, K State and Kansas get kids there all the time. I know, there also in the area.

My guess is the kids in MO are common, and we all know Burt only wants uncommon players.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

sickboy

Quote from: bkjbearcat on September 28, 2015, 04:26:41 pm
Yet, K State and Kansas get kids there all the time. I know, there also in the area.

My guess is the kids in MO are common, and we all know Bret only wants uncommon players.

K State and Kansas don't play in the SEC. Kids in Missouri are like kids from any state that doesn't have elite level High School competition. Some kids are naturally gifted and have all the potential in the world -- they are rarer simply because of population density. But they do sprout up every now and again.

Year to year -- Missouri doesn't produce that much talent. Much like Arkansas.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: scruf on September 28, 2015, 03:27:03 pm
Tell that to Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

mbgrulz

There are a lot of things we need to do better. Getting more Mizzou kids isn't one of them.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: mbgrulz on September 28, 2015, 06:59:48 pm
There are a lot of things we need to do better. Getting more Mizzou kids isn't one of them.
Your wrong. It's about talent. plan and simple. Should we be getting players from Louisiana and Texas. You bet. But disregarding places like Kansas and Missouri is nothing but foolish.

sickboy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 28, 2015, 08:47:17 pm
Your wrong. It's about talent. plan and simple. Should we be getting players from Louisiana and Texas. You bet. But disregarding places like Kansas and Missouri is nothing but foolish.

Our coaches aren't disregarding Kansas or Missouri. It's just not make or break for our program.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: sickboy on September 28, 2015, 09:05:00 pm
Our coaches aren't disregarding Kansas or Missouri. It's just not make or break for our program.
Could have fooled me.

sickboy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 28, 2015, 10:05:24 pm
Could have fooled me.

It must not take much.

We already have one kid committed from Missouri for this years class and have three more offers out to Missouri players. We also have three offers out this year to Kansas kids. That's seven total offers out between two states that have four prospects rated higher than a three star total.

We're not neglecting Kansas and Missouri.

hawgmasta

Quote from: sickboy on September 28, 2015, 10:16:59 pm
It must not take much.

We already have one kid committed from Missouri for this years class and have three more offers out to Missouri players. We also have three offers out this year to Kansas kids. That's seven total offers out between two states that have four prospects rated higher than a three star total.

We're not neglecting Kansas and Missouri.

This. And if we could get 1-4 every year from Kansas or Missouri rated three stars or higher I would consider us just fine in recruiting there.

sickboy

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 29, 2015, 11:23:47 am
This. And if we could get 1-4 every year from Kansas or Missouri rated three stars or higher I would consider us just fine in recruiting there.

Yeah, I'd say, on average, that's about right.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 09:02:39 am
There you go.  Not similar at all.

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 10:47:31 am
To be honest, the only schools that can have a roster mostly of in state kids and be successful are schools from Cali, Texas, GA, FL and maybe LA and Miss.  All other schools have to go out of state as well.

Add Ohio and surprisingly New Jersey..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

Quote from: sickboy on September 29, 2015, 04:06:41 pm
Yeah, I'd say, on average, that's about right.

Yea, same here, although I do think that 1-4 is important.  Anywhere within 300 miles of Fayetteville is important due to proximity.

sickboy

Could have fooled me.

Just rereading my last post to you and it sounded really condescending. Hope you weren't offended as I was being a bit of an azz.

RazorPiggie

Could have fooled me.

You must have a son that isn't getting recruited by the Hogs, huh?

That's the only explanation I can find.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 30, 2015, 06:59:33 am
You must have a son that isn't getting recruited by the Hogs, huh?

That's the only explanation I can find.
No. Just don't like see Wisconsin out recruit us in a state that should almost be a lay up.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: sickboy on September 30, 2015, 02:49:42 am
Just rereading my last post to you and it sounded really condescending. Hope you weren't offended as I was being a bit of an azz.
No worries. I happens from time to time on message boards. People( Myself included ) are just passionate about hawgs and just want what they feel is best.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 30, 2015, 04:07:50 pm
No. Just don't like see Wisconsin out recruit us in a state that should almost be a lay up.

Can you get out recruited if you don't offer? I see you're talking about the kid from KC.  Other than Wisky his next best offer seems to be Mizzou or Nebraska.