Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why does Houston Nutt get so much love...

Started by HamShank, April 05, 2006, 01:42:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamShank

...in the national media?

When Arkansas games are aired nationally (CBS or ESPN), there is a consistent trope that Houston Nutt is "one of the best coaches in the country" and an idea that he somehow does the best he can with what he has at Arkansas.  Granted, that tide is turning a bit after this year, but that's been going on for years.

How do you explain it?

RealSmartGuy

Cancellation of the Prohibition Amendment is all I can think of.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: HamShank on April 05, 2006, 01:42:46 pm
...in the national media?

When Arkansas games are aired nationally (CBS or ESPN), there is a consistent trope that Houston Nutt is "one of the best coaches in the country" and an idea that he somehow does the best he can with what he has at Arkansas.  Granted, that tide is turning a bit after this year, but that's been going on for years.

How do you explain it?

Tell me the last time you heard announcers talk bad about a coach in pregame?

"Wow, this coach just can't get it done.  If he doesn't stop being so stupid he is going to lose his job."  They hype the game...if you listen though, they do put something in about questionable decisions and predictable plays being called.
Retired Radio Host

Hogwild07

They dont know anything about Arkansas football. They figure since it's Arkansas that we have NO talent and that Houston is doing a great job with what he is given.  Truth is...we do have talent and a pitiful coach. 

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on April 05, 2006, 01:46:49 pm
Cancellation of the Prohibition Amendment is all I can think of.

i agree with you, they must be drunk. +1 to you my friend

either that or they like watching us do badly

lyon98

I hope they talk more about hdn being a great coach, so great some one hires him and I would wish him the very best of luck in his new venture.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

idochog

Quote from: lyon98 on April 05, 2006, 02:03:57 pm
I hope they talk more about hdn being a great coach, so great some one hires him and I would wish him the very best of luck in his new venture.

I will be there to personally SHOVE him onto the plane.
I love Jesus!

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Hogwild07 on April 05, 2006, 01:52:51 pm
They dont know anything about Arkansas football. They figure since it's Arkansas that we have NO talent and that Houston is doing a great job with what he is given.  Truth is...we do have talent and a pitiful coach. 

That's the stupidest comment ive read on here. Are you saying that ESPN doesn't know about Arkansas football? HAHAHHAA. I will guarantee you that they know more about arkansas football then everyone on this board combined, Hello there the worlds sports authority, and they are VERY well informed. Plus what do you say about other AD's wanting to talk to him? Are they drunk or stupid to? Come on...

CharlieHog

Look at what we did in the years before he got here, and the years immediately after.

*lightbulb*

HamShank

Quote from: lyon98 on April 05, 2006, 02:03:57 pm

This I agree with.  +1

Hog1751

[/quote]
That's the stupidest comment ive read on here. Are you saying that ESPN doesn't know about Arkansas football? HAHAHHAA. I will guarantee you that they know more about arkansas football then everyone on this board combined, Hello there the worlds sports authority, and they are VERY well informed. Plus what do you say about other AD's wanting to talk to him? Are they drunk or stupid to? Come on...
[/quote]

Are you being sarcastic, please say yes, otherwise, I have a problem with this post.

Porky OLeary

Just like the huggers!

12under

Quote from: Porky OLeary on April 05, 2006, 02:41:43 pm

Just like the huggers!
we have average SEC talent and that is where our results have been the last few years.  and talent is not a one-deep depth chart, it goes throughout the entire team, backups included.  we have some fantastic, possibly all-american type players, but the depth just doesnt seem to be there.

HogFanLR

April 05, 2006, 02:53:49 pm #13 Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:03:17 pm by HogFanLR
well,

as stated I doubt people in the national media know more about AR sports than locals,  And some of the so called darksiders here are very well informed. 

However, players, coachs and AD's (that make up the national media) run in different circles and may judge things with a different standard than us fans.  (personality, Money infusion, reputation, etc, etc)

What is funny is to watch the two sides here clash.  "Darksider",..."Hugger", "oh yeah....darksider",..."oh yeah, well you stink hugger".......Us sports fans are an interesting lot.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 02:28:29 pm
I will guarantee you that they know more about arkansas football then everyone on this board combined, Hello there the worlds sports authority, and they are VERY well informed.

This is a very telling quote!  You really believe this, don't you?  If you believe that the knobs at ESPN have more Razorback knowledge than a great many of us lifelong Hog fans,  you are terribly naive!  All ESPN has is an internet connection and a lot of bandwidth.

For the most part when I hear their guys doing our games or reporting on us during Sportscenter, it's pretty obvious to me they know very little about Arkansas!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

One more thing razorbackfan502000, if you believe that ESPN is the worlds sport authority just because they say that they're the worldwide leader,  then you should believe me when I say that I'm the Emperor of China!  ;D
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

lyon98

Sure they know about Arkansas football, they saw the Las Vegas and Music City Bowls.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

12under

Quote from: alberteinswine on April 05, 2006, 03:22:48 pm
One more thing razorbackfan502000, if you believe that ESPN is the worlds sport authority just because they say that they're the worldwide leader,  then you should believe me when I say that I'm the Emperor of China!  ;D
glad to know we have royalty here on this board

Donald Miller

I would ask you the same question; are you drunk or stupid?  You're probably trying to get a rise out of everyone, but making a comment that ESPN knows more about Ark football than many of these posters might be the single, most uneducated comment I've heard in a long time. 

OPPHOG

Alberteinswine;
You are the Emperor of China??
WOW!!
ESPN IS IN THE KNOW;  This board is packed full of assumptions; rumors; and bonified BS.
This board does have about 30% of in the know good info and the other 70% is mostly BS.
Unless this board is edited by the University and it is not, it will always be like that.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Donald Miller on April 05, 2006, 03:35:55 pm

I would ask you the same question; are you drunk or stupid?  You're probably trying to get a rise out of everyone, but making a comment that ESPN knows more about Ark football than many of these posters might be the single, most uneducated comment I've heard in a long time. 

ok, i admit i'm a wee bit drunk, but still how can you possibly thing that ESPN does not know more about college football then the average fan posting on here? I mean seriosly, they have reams of people that do nothing but research, research, and more research, it's not as if the announcers are just sitting there in the booth making darn up all game long, they have teleprompters giving them stats, they have people that have interviewed those involved. They have people that do NOTHING but cover college football for a living. I'll promise you that with the all the hype surrounding MM they have crawled up the ass of UA football. They know everything there is to know about us and our coaches, and our players, atleast as far is it relates to football.

dana caldwell

espn folks are hardly in the know. writers are in an uproar of late bc espn does this: espn's joe schmoe reports that bob huggins will be named kansas state's coach tomorrow. well, sure, joe reports it, but he got it from the paper in lawrence or a news release. hell, when i was at the morning news, we beat the world by a day -- bc of some great combo reporting by gorten and neiswanger; called kent state players into the night and one finally admitted about 11:30 that heath huddled them about 11 and told them his decision. that morning: according to espn's joe schmoe ...

there's a lot of idiocy on this board, but also a lot of darned good insight from folks in the know and with right-on opinions. i hardly think lee corso keeps much abreast of all things UA.

Albert Einswine

April 05, 2006, 04:02:56 pm #22 Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:07:03 pm by alberteinswine
Quote from: dana caldwell on April 05, 2006, 03:57:04 pm
espn folks are hardly in the know. writers are in an uproar of late bc espn does this: espn's joe schmoe reports that bob huggins will be named kansas state's coach tomorrow. well, sure, joe reports it, but he got it from the paper in lawrence or a news release. hell, when i was at the morning news, we beat the world by a day -- bc of some great combo reporting by gorten and neiswanger; called kent state players into the night and one finally admitted about 11:30 that heath huddled them about 11 and told them his decision. that morning: according to espn's joe schmoe ...

there's a lot of idiocy on this board, but also a lot of darned good insight from folks in the know and with right-on opinions. i hardly think lee corso keeps much abreast of all things UA.

Thanks Dana,  that is exactly what I mean when I say that many on this board know a lot more than ESPN.  We know about Arkansas because it's our passion. 

I've been a faithful follower for 31 years.  And some of these posters believe that Kirk Herbstreit knows more about the Hogs than me?

Get real!  I had already learned more about the Hogs than Herbstreit will ever know before he was out of diapers!

dana caldwell

you're exactly right, my friend: thirty-one years beats 2 hours of prep time for a sportscast any day.

razorbackfan502000

You don't think that ESPN has more people looking at them due to Mortenson being here. Give me a break, Any father would use Chris's position to check up the school his son was attending. There might be some people on this board that are "in the know" or they could be full of darn, who knows for sure. But one this is for sure, NO ONE on this board has the resources available to them to do the research that ESPN undoubtedly puts into their reporting, Not to say they're perfect, but most of their stuff is right on.

dana caldwell

back to the original premise: it's all simplistic perception. quick, how do u perceive Texas, TCU, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi State, BYU? that opinion should vary, but in most of our minds (especially those as small as mine), it doesn't.

the very basic perception of arkansas is that it has overachieved with nutt. with the exception of his first season (yep, talent, but look at 4-7 back-to-backers and what might have been), i disagree. but that's the thot out there and that's why other schools courted him for a time. that time has probably passed.

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:08:38 pm
You don't think that ESPN has more people looking at them due to Mortenson being here. Give me a break, Any father would use Chris's position to check up the school his son was attending. There might be some people on this board that are "in the know" or they could be full of Shiite, who knows for sure. But one this is for sure, NO ONE on this board has the resources available to them to do the research that ESPN undoubtedly puts into their reporting, Not to say they're perfect, but most of their stuff is right on.

My guess is the majority of the people who don't have you on their ignore list yet know which category you fall into. 

I can think of about 30 to 40 people on this board that know more about the UofA than ESPN ever wanted or cared to know.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: dana caldwell on April 05, 2006, 04:10:57 pm
back to the original premise: it's all simplistic perception. quick, how do u perceive Texas, TCU, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi State, BYU? that opinion should vary, but in most of our minds (especially those as small as mine), it doesn't.

the very basic perception of arkansas is that it has overachieved with nutt. with the exception of his first season (yep, talent, but look at 4-7 back-to-backers and what might have been), i disagree. but that's the thot out there and that's why other schools courted him for a time. that time has probably passed.

I will bet that time hasn't passed, b/c other people look in and see that other things have transpired, some he could control, some he couldn't. I'd say that there probably is plenty of schools that would love to have an HDN at the helm.

Tater Salad

Nick Saban had no idea what he was talking about when he endorsed Nutt?

dana caldwell

"You don't think that ESPN has more people looking at them due to Mortenson being here. Give me a break, Any father would use Chris's position to check up the school his son was attending. There might be some people on this board that are "in the know" or they could be full of Shiite, who knows for sure. But one this is for sure, NO ONE on this board has the resources available to them to do the research that ESPN undoubtedly puts into their reporting, Not to say they're perfect, but most of their stuff is right on."

no. what exactly would espn folks glean from the son of their nfl insider sitting on a bench?

espn isn't everywhere at all times just bc they report on everything under the sporting sun. u think CNN knows more about the dynamics of NW arkansas' growth than those who live there, work there and cover such things?

have another drink. think i'll have one now.

cheers!

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

That cinches it. Razorbackfan502000 is obviously on the Numb Nutts / Murray State Mafia payroll.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:14:00 pm

I will bet that time hasn't passed, b/c other people look in and see that other things have transpired, some he could control, some he couldn't. I'd say that there probably is plenty of schools that would love to have an HDN at the helm.

No AD worth his weight in sand would hire a coach coming off 2 horrible seasons.  If Nutt could have found a job he would not be here right now.  Give it up.

Ugly Uncle

You don't think that ESPN has more people looking at them due to Mortenson being here. Give me a break, Any father would use Chris's position to check up the school his son was attending. There might be some people on this board that are "in the know" or they could be full of Shiite, who knows for sure. But one this is for sure, NO ONE on this board has the resources available to them to do the research that ESPN undoubtedly puts into their reporting, Not to say they're perfect, but most of their stuff is right on.

ESPN is well connected.  However, there are those on this board that has the resources available to them that ESPN does not.  That is everyday, person to person contact with the staff and/or players.  (Except for maybe Mort.  But who up in Conn. cares about his son being third string QB on a 4-7 team?)  I know that Mike Irwin does, I know that Flkeysguy is well connected to the Springdale bunch (coaches and players...You know GM, MM, DW, BC...that group).  I have a relationship with two of the coaches on staff.  There are others that have their own relationships and connections that go deeper than ESPN could ever have.  Don't overrate ESPN...they are not that concerned with keeping up with Arkansas.  It was just a couple of years ago that they were listing the University as being in Fayetteville AK as apposed to AR.
Retired Radio Host

Donald Miller

Then they're welcome to have him.  No one is beating his door down or he'd be gone already. 

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 05, 2006, 04:18:05 pm

ESPN is well connected.  However, there are those on this board that has the resources available to them that ESPN does not.  That is everyday, person to person contact with the staff and/or players.  (Except for maybe Mort.  But who up in Conn. cares about his son being third string QB on a 4-7 team?)  I know that Mike Irwin does, I know that Flkeysguy is well connected to the Springdale bunch (coaches and players...You know GM, MM, DW, BC...that group).  I have a relationship with two of the coaches on staff.  There are others that have their own relationships and connections that go deeper than ESPN could ever have.  Don't overrate ESPN...they are not that concerned with keeping up with Arkansas.  It was just a couple of years ago that they were listing the University as being in Fayetteville AK as apposed to AR.

Not saying they are the be all end all, was just saying i think ill trust that their college football analysits know what they are talking about, and when you have ESPN, CBS, the coaches that are in the league, and FB's all saying that HDN is a good coach, that cinches it for me. NOw that being said, whether he's a good coach or a bad coach, has relatively little to do with whether he is the right coach right now for arkansas. Personally, I tell you I think that HDN has taken this program as far as he can. If you make that argument , ill agree with you, but i will NOT agree with the statement that he is a bad coach. I just won't, and I'm not alone.

LA HAWG

April 05, 2006, 04:29:10 pm #35 Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:31:32 pm by LA HAWG
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:27:46 pm
Not saying they are the be all end all, was just saying i think ill trust that their college football analysits know what they are talking about, and when you have ESPN, CBS, the coaches that are in the league, and FB's all saying that HDN is a good coach, that cinches it for me. NOw that being said, whether he's a good coach or a bad coach, has relatively little to do with whether he is the right coach right now for arkansas. Personally, I tell you I think that HDN has taken this program as far as he can. If you make that argument , ill agree with you, but i will NOT agree with the statement that he is a bad coach. I just won't, and I'm not alone.

Ladies and Gentlemen, what we have here is a.....
HUGGER!!!

dana caldwell

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: dana caldwell on April 05, 2006, 04:31:41 pm
it's a free country.

That's right, I have fought for my right to root to support Nutt, btw, i have also fought for all of your rights to hate the guy.

Ugly Uncle

Personally Hogfan502000...I like you, and I don't want to argue anymore...

That being said, I will present one last arguement.

You say that HDN is not a bad coach, and in fact is a good one.

IMO Good coaches don't do many of the things Nutt has done.  Bad coaches rarely do some of the things he has done.  I don't know that he is just awful...maybe he just gets panicky in a situation and just does the most inexplicable things...maybe he just freezes and has  a default play in his head..."It's third and what?  Never mind it doesn't matter...run the draw."  Maybe he teaches well...I am not aware of what he has been teaching...discipline maybe?  No...I don't think that is it...I don't know what he has been teaching.  He has done so many things that just don't make sense.  Not for a good coach or a bad one.  I have heard commentators question things...the ones that were calling the games.  You could make the argument that he isn't the worse coach...but I don't think you could say he is anywhere near a good one.

What's worse...he could have possibly been a good CEO (this means, focus on recruiting (I know you think he has been good at this...I say he has been mediocre at best), PR, encouraging his great assistance that he could have hired, giving a motivational speech to get the team going, disciplining the team, etc, etc.)...instead, he tried to do things he was BAD at doing...and refused to make changes until he was forced.  That makes him a bad coach in my book. 

WPS
Retired Radio Host

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 05, 2006, 04:42:56 pm

Personally Hogfan502000...I like you, and I don't want to argue anymore...

That being said, I will present one last arguement.

You say that HDN is not a bad coach, and in fact is a good one.

IMO Good coaches don't do many of the things Nutt has done.  Bad coaches rarely do some of the things he has done.  I don't know that he is just awful...maybe he just gets panicky in a situation and just does the most inexplicable things...maybe he just freezes and has  a default play in his head..."It's third and what?  Never mind it doesn't matter...run the draw."  Maybe he teaches well...I am not aware of what he has been teaching...discipline maybe?  No...I don't think that is it...I don't know what he has been teaching.  He has done so many things that just don't make sense.  Not for a good coach or a bad one.  I have heard commentators question things...the ones that were calling the games.  You could make the argument that he isn't the worse coach...but I don't think you could say he is anywhere near a good one.

What's worse...he could have possibly been a good CEO (this means, focus on recruiting (I know you think he has been good at this...I say he has been mediocre at best), PR, encouraging his great assistance that he could have hired, giving a motivational speech to get the team going, disciplining the team, etc, etc.)...instead, he tried to do things he was BAD at doing...and refused to make changes until he was forced.  That makes him a bad coach in my book. 

WPS

I like you 2, but i like arguing more. LOL. I think you hit the nail on the head uncle, i think he got himself into some situations last year, where he wanted to be innovative, and he wanted to be daring, but he panicked and made bad decisions.Does that make him a bad coach? I don't think so. Personally I would have like to have seen us go after spurrier when he was talking about getting back in the game, so it's not that im married to HDN as our coach. Now as far as what we have going on, i feel like it would be best for our program to give the current coaching situation a chance. Now as i've said before, it should be a one season chance, produce next season or say goodbye, but even if it doesn't work out next season, that doesn't mean he's a "bad" coach. We have all had jobs that for whatever reason, we just couldn't perform at our usual level. That doesnt mean your a bad employee , that just means that for some reason, you couldn't get it done where u were.

pseudorabies

Yep, running off tackle right 9 times in a row is daring and innovative.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: pseudorabies on April 05, 2006, 04:51:34 pm

DO you know how to read??????????? I said i think he wanted to be, but he panicked at several points.

pseudorabies

April 05, 2006, 05:02:53 pm #42 Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:08:48 pm by pseudorabies
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:52:48 pm

DO you know how to read??????????? I said i think he wanted to be, but he panicked at several points.

Oh, I thought that was where you were referring to him wanting to be daring and innovated.  Since it wasn't and you say its when he paniced, I would say that a coach that panics during games is not a good coach. 

Albert Einswine

I know how to read....

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:27:46 pmNot saying they are the be all end all, was just saying i think ill trust that their college football analysits know what they are talking about

and my reading comprehension tells me....

I will guarantee you that they know more about arkansas football then everyone on this board combined, Hello there the worlds sports authority, and they are VERY well informed.

that you contradict yourself within 2 hours of posting something!  ;D

dana caldwell

"Under Hogfan502000's premise, then Nebraska was never seriously interested in hiring Nutt. Forget that plane on the tarmac, Trev Alberts said Nutt used the Nebraska opening to get a raise and since he's at ESPN, it must be true."

only thing wrong here, scott, is alberts no longer is at espn. your example, tho, is probably one of the reasons why.

pigture perfect

Quote from: alberteinswine on April 05, 2006, 05:06:24 pm

I know how to read....

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:27:46 pmNot saying they are the be all end all, was just saying i think ill trust that their college football analysits know what they are talking about

and my reading comprehension tells me....

that you contradict yourself within 2 hours of posting something!  ;D

He already admitted earlier in the thread that he was drunk, he can't help it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TulsaHogFan

Someone i trust told me this story, and it could be true and it could be false.  I am going to let someone else on here verify if it happened or not, but the way i heard it was, A call was made by someone i know to an AD of a school with an opening last December/January.  They are a mid-major football team.  They have a decent program but i would consider ours much better.

When rumors flew they might be interested (reported by ESPN) in HDN a phone call was made to verify this information.

The AD laughed his freaking ass off.  I am serious.  He laughed and laughed and laughed.

He said, you gotta be kidding me.  He then hung up the phone.

Trust me the only way HDN is going anywhere is if he is HIGHLY successful this year, OR we fire him.

TulsaHogFan

It was 11 times in a row.  lol

Yep 11 times in a row he panicked and called the same play on accident.

lyon98

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:38:17 pm
it's a free country.

That's right, I have fought for my right to root to support Nutt, btw, i have also fought for all of your rights to hate the guy.
Not being nosey, but who did you fight? If you did, you have my admiraaation.
What Is A Veteran?

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: lyon98 on April 05, 2006, 07:47:31 pm
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 05, 2006, 04:38:17 pm
it's a free country.

Not being nosey, but who did you fight? If you did, you have my admiraaation.

I've been in the national guard since 1988. served in desert storm, didnt serve overseas this time, hopefully it stays that way.