Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the memorable "shot" in Razorback History?

Started by corndo, March 14, 2006, 12:51:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

corndo

After reading the article on the U.S. Reed shot against Louisville in the ADG this morning and seeing it just now on ESPN's Cold Pizza, it

got me thinking about what just exactly was the most memorable shot in Razorback history? I have to go with Mayberry's three against

Texas at the "strollin" with Nolan game, but that's just me. What do you guys think?

CiriusPorker

hogsanity

Charles Ballentine sinking one on the baseline in Pine Bluff against the # NC Tarjheels with Michael jordan as a Freshman.  How many times have the Hogs beaten the #1 team?  Case closed!
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfankb

Ugly Uncle

Today is the 25th anniversary of that U.S. Reed shot.
Retired Radio Host

nwarazfan

Thurman
US
Balentine
Brewer vs ND 78 F4
Mayberry's 3 at Texass to force OT when Nolan went Strollin'

J.A.Y.

I have to go with Scotty's shot. I was at a watch party with my whole class in J. High and we all went nuts. Still makes me feel good to this day.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

HoopS

Most important, Thurman. 
Most memoriable to me is U. S. Reed.

Balentine's shot ranks highly.

Hoggy Potter

Quote from: hogsanity on March 14, 2006, 12:53:08 pm
Charles Ballentine sinking one on the baseline in Pine Bluff against the # NC Tarjheels with Michael jordan as a Freshman.  How many times have the Hogs beaten the #1 team?  Case closed!

Case closed?  I have to differ...How many times has Arkansas won the National Championship?  Beating the number 1 team during the year is great but hitting a shot to win the national championship is much better in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong...it was a great shot but in my eyes it doesn't even compare to Scotty's shot.
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

felixfan

thurman without a doubt.  No contest.  what other shot won the national championship for us.

bhuie

Here's my top 5:

(1) US Reed's half-court shot to win against Louisville in the NCAAT
(2) Thurman's 3-pointer to put the Hogs ahead for good in the NC game against Duke
(3) Brewer's shot to beat Notre Dame in the Final 4 consolation game in '78
(4) Mayberry's 3-pointer to force overtime at Texas
(5) Balentine's baseline jumper to beat #1 UNC in Pine Bluff

That's a pretty good list of exciting and meaningful shots...

:razorback:

nwarazfan

Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 01:00:03 pm
Most important, Thurman. 

May be an age thing.  For those of us who are old enough to remember watching that Reed shot, it comes very, very close to Scotty's on the memory list.

Hawgin84

Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 01:00:03 pm
Most important, Thurman. 

I go along with these.

HoopS

It was a HUGE shot back then and Louisville was a great team.  The main difference to me is US Reed's shot was at the buzzer.  There were 50 some odd seconds left on Scottie's. 

Again, most impotant and memoriable to me are different.

Both were great moments!

Deuce Pigelow

I think the key word in this topic is "memorable".
Thurman's shot is no doubt the "biggest" and most "important" shot in the history of the program.

But US's shot is probably the most memorable to me because I was 9 years old and it was one of the first memories I have of UA bball, and probably one of the biggest reasons I am such a Hog fan. It got me so excited about bball and UA bball. I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

OPPHOG

#1 SCOTTY' SHOT

#2 Then the shot by Balentine in Crime Bluff

#3 U.S. Reed

LA HAWG

1. Thurman's three.
2. U.S. Reed

These are shots that people all over the country remember.  Not just Hog fans.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 01:09:57 pm
It was a HUGE shot back then and Louisville was a great team.  The main difference to me is US Reed's shot was at the buzzer.  There were 50 some odd seconds left on Scottie's. 

Again, most impotant and memoriable to me are different.

Both were great moments!

I agree.  Wasn't Lville the defending NC? 

Tusks

Quote from: bhuie on March 14, 2006, 01:03:22 pm
Here's my top 5:

(2) Thurman's 3-pointer to put the Hogs ahead for good in the NC game against Duke

Remember Reeds shot was at the super drum at Texas.  The hogs lead the whole game and then literally threw the game away at the end only to have Reed do his magic.

Channel 7 got a shot after the game of Abe Lemmons saying "I've seen that shot...I've seen that shot before" and then on TV called the Hogs with the hog fans around him....amazing.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HoopS

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on March 14, 2006, 01:00:47 pm

Case closed?  I have to differ...How many times has Arkansas won the National Championship?  Beating the number 1 team during the year is great but hitting a shot to win the national championship is much better in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong...it was a great shot but in my eyes it doesn't even compare to Scotty's shot.

But the Hogs would have still had another possesion against Duke for the NC, it was do or die against NC. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LA HAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on March 14, 2006, 01:14:27 pm
Quote from: Hoggy Potter on March 14, 2006, 01:00:47 pm

But the Hogs would have still had another possesion against Duke for the NC, it was do or die against NC. 

Yeah but Thurman's shot pretty much sealed the National Championship.

geoffhog

The Reed, Ballantine and Mayberry shots were definitely memorable, but if I could only have one, it would be Scotty's shot because it got us a NC.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

bhuie

Quote from: nutted on March 14, 2006, 01:13:49 pm
Quote from: bhuie on March 14, 2006, 01:03:22 pm
Here's my top 5:

Remember Reeds shot was at the super drum at Texas.  The hogs lead the whole game and then literally threw the game away at the end only to have Reed do his magic.

Channel 7 got a shot after the game of Abe Lemmons saying "I've seen that shot...I've seen that shot before" and then on TV called the Hogs with the hog fans around him....amazing.

Thanks for reminding me of that.  I didn't remember that it was in reference to Reed's shot that Abe called the Hogs...  :) +1

Arkiejared

I dunno...that layup the other night by what's-his-face against that one team with those kinda tall guys was good.

Seriously, though, I will never forget the Thurman 3...unless I get Alzheimer's.
I wasn't alive for the US Reed shot, but I've seen it enough to appreciate it, too.

lilpiggy

any place on the net where u can see these, i would like to show them to my son

bhuie

Quote from: Arkiejared on March 14, 2006, 02:26:58 pmI wasn't alive for the US Reed shot, but I've seen it enough to appreciate it, too.

I think frame of reference makes a big difference regarding this question.  Those of us old enough to have seen US Reed's shot seem to hold it in higher regard than you younger guys do.  For me, the difference is in the last-second nature of Reed's shot.  Although Thurman's shot against Duke was HUGE, there was still some time left had he missed.  Reed's shot was "do or die" against a very good Louisville team...

lyon98

The look on what's his name's face when Thurman took his shot over him made it world class.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

HoopS

I remember the sinking feeling in my gut that the game was over.  I remember seeing Sutton drawing a play up as he squated down in front of US and company.  I remember being seated in the recliner to the left of my living room. I remember jumping up and screaming like a mad man, uhh mad boy.  I remember my mom came running back into the living room thinking somebody had gotten hurt or who knows what from the yelling of myself, 2 brothers and my late dad. I remember watching tv the rest of the day to see if someone would show it again (no ESPN).   I remember that for weeks and then years being US Reed in my backyard and in every gym I went to.  There's more but I'm out of time.

geoffhog

HoggusMaximus

March 14, 2006, 03:11:25 pm #32 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:13:17 pm by HoggusMaximus
the thurman 3 against duke deff the best shot, does anyone remember the half coart shot that was made in a game, i think it was either may or day who shot it... correct me if im wrong gee i miss may and day

and it isnt the one as posted above lol

Hogs4Ever

Didn't Moncrief hit a last second shot to beat Texas in his senior year?

HoopS

Seems like we had a bunch of last second shots in the Alvin, Darrel and Joe days.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 03:21:53 pm
Seems like we had a bunch of last second shots in the Alvin, Darrel and Joe days.

I think it was Kleine (but may have been Hastings) who hit a baseline jumper vs Phi Slamma Jamma in Barnhill with about 4 seconds left it seems like to win once. 

Dwight Stewart's halfcourt shot vs UNC at the end of the half in the 95 F4 was huge.

JP showed highlights from their 20 years and one was Scotty draining about a 25 ft shot at the end to beat LSU in BR like 106-105.

Deuce Pigelow

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 14, 2006, 03:26:58 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 03:21:53 pm

JP showed highlights from their 20 years and one was Scotty draining about a 25 ft shot at the end to beat LSU in BR like 106-105.

Dillard also hit a big one at the buzzer in Baton Rouge to tie it and send it to OT which we won

geoffhog

March 14, 2006, 03:31:15 pm #37 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:32:47 pm by geoffhog
Quote from: HoggusMaximus on March 14, 2006, 03:11:25 pm
the thurman 3 against duke deff the best shot, does anyone remember the half coart shot that was made in a game, i think it was either may or day who shot it... correct me if im wrong gee i miss may and day

and it isnt the one as posted above lol
Dwight Stewart hit a 60 footer at half-time buzzer against North Carolina in the '95 Semi-finals. I don't recall Day or Mayberry ever hitting one.

Deuce Pigelow

reggie Garrett hit a half-courter vs. Kentucky at the end of first half in the Bud.
I think Scotty also hit a big one at the end of that game from about the free throw line to seal the game

HoopS

Too funny, I started to mention Hastings as well.  I'm pretty sure he hit one from the corner.

Josef

Mccurdy's half court shot against Texas tech...definately

hoginator

Quote from: geoffhog on March 14, 2006, 03:05:06 pm
Quote from: lilpiggy on March 14, 2006, 02:35:20 pm
any place on the net where u can see these, i would like to show them to my son
2nd from top

http://www.katv.com/news/videovault.hrb         
US is the most memorable for me.
I too was 9 years old and got chills watching the link.
+1
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

hogtheball

Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 03:01:26 pm
I remember the sinking feeling in my gut that the game was over.  I remember seeing Sutton drawing a play up as he squated down in front of US and company.  I remember being seated in the recliner to the left of my living room. I remember jumping up and screaming like a mad man, uhh mad boy.  I remember my mom came running back into the living room thinking somebody had gotten hurt or who knows what from the yelling of myself, 2 brothers and my late dad. I remember watching tv the rest of the day to see if someone would show it again (no ESPN).   I remember that for weeks and then years being US Reed in my backyard and in every gym I went to.  There's more but I'm out of time.

That's exactly what I was going to write except we didn't have a recliner - I was sitting on the sectional.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

sasnakrafan

Definitely the Bua "shot" against Florida 2-3 years ago when we should have won the game... if i were receiving that, he woulda knocked me back to last week.

Basketball without a doubt the Thurman shot to win it all for us.

HoggusMaximus

Thats the shot! Stewart hit it you got the one i was thinking, i dont know why i was thinking mayberry or day. oh well yeah it was stewart i remember that shot

ChrisD

Scotty vs Duke
Mayberry vs Texas
US Reed  vs Louisville

hogmary

I would say that US Reed's shot against Louisville was the most memorable to me, then Scotty's shot against Duke.  I guess it's age.  Lee Mayberry's shot against Texas to send it into overtime, Ron Brewer against Notre Dame in the 1978 Final Four, Balentine's shot against North Carolina, and I would have to add US Reed's shot against Texas at Barnhill in 1981.

Something that makes the Louisville shot so memorable is what happened after the game:  Abe Lemons put on a Hog hat and called the Hogs with fans outside the Super Drum.  He said that once he saw the ball in "Mrs. Reed's son's hands," he knew that the Razorbacks couldn't lose.  He was referring to the Texas game earlier in the year in Barnhill.  Texas also painted US Reed's footprints on the spot on the court from which he took that shot.

dude

You have to SEE the shot for it to be memorable.
I have to go with U.S. Reed. I still remember where I was standing.
#2=Scotty's shot was important but not as memorable.
#3=Charles Ballentine against Jordan and N. Carolina

berryhog

Hollywood_HOGan

Scotty Thurman against Duke in the final no contest at all.

Sure US Reed's shot was miraculous and historic but doesn't hold a candle to Thurman's because that won Arkansas its first ever championship.