Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "lose to be rested in the NCAA arguement"

Started by batmanfan, March 07, 2006, 11:04:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

Does anyone else besides me believe this is a bullshite theory?  The only thing to worry about if this team goes 4 games in 4 days is the chance of emotional letdown.  Fatigue should really not be a factor.

For an example to help out my fans, The Bat brings to Hogville an example both true and trusted.  The Bat could start a nice 4 day journey of running 5 miles per day, through heat and wind, hill after hill (which has been done before by the Bat.)  By that fourth day the Bat's may be getting a little sore, a little tired...but when the acomplishment has been delievered the Bat wears that championship belt around and celebrates...much like a team that would go and win 4 games in four days. 

By the next Thursday the Bat is ready for go run once again, way overdue since the Bat would be back on that tuesday.

Just showing fatigue should not be a problem with this team to run the table.  Its not like we are in the running for the National Championship anyways.

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

mbgrulz

not in the running for the NC? well why in the hell are we so worked up about getting into the tourny? i bet NC state wasnt in the running for when they won it either. ya get in the tourny and the season starts over.

as for losing in the SEC tourney; i dont think anyone would ever want to lose a game, but this is a case where losing offers a little bit of consolation. losing = more days to get your legs back. playing 40 minutes of basketball at that high of a level is much more strenuous than running 5 miles. to do it 4 times in 4 days is brutal, but the other team will be in the same boat. getting that 1st round bye would have helped us out. we are about the only SEC team with the depth to do it. guess we'll find out.

Franchise_Hog

I think it's a good argument for when in fact a team that has a chance to go far in the NCAA tournament loses in their conference tournament....it's kind of like a defense mechanism.  It definitely will help that team energize emotionally and physically.  But my personal opinion is you play to win every game, regardless.  Even those #1 seeds need to be busting their butts during their conference tournaments.  That ole saying, "one in the hand is worth two in the bush" applies here....there are never definites in the NCAA tournament.

As far as the Hogs are concerned, we need another SEC tournament banner anyway.  We might as well win the whole thing.

Ugly Uncle

I think it is different for different teams.  When there is a dominant team that has played dominant for most of the season, I think getting beat in the conference tourn. is a wake up call.  Did we win the SECT when we won the NCAA's? (No, seriously, I don't remember...but I don't think we did).  Anyway, it can get a very good team back on track and play hungry again.

However, for a team that success is a new thing (like a couple weeks) and they are just learning how to win games, they need to run the table.  This team will only get stronger if they win.  More focused, more confident, have more of a swagger.  We need to make a run.  I think the confidence of this team may still be a little fragile.
Retired Radio Host

Boarcephus

These guys are 19-20 year old kids.  I don't believe playing a basketball game wears them out that much because if they weren't in a game, they'd be playing pickup games back home expending  more energy in that than they do in a 40 minute game.   Now, if those 4 games were in Hawaii, the last one being on a Sunday, where you were dealing with a 10 hour flight and a 4 or 5 hour time difference, then I could see them being tired but it's not.  It's in Nashville.  We'll be good to go by Thursday even if we play on Sunday.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jerry Swinefeld

IMO, not playing to win in the SEC Tourney would be like quitting your job because you might have a chance to win the lottery instead.

Always play to win.

othermac

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 08, 2006, 04:28:01 am
I think it is different for different teams.  When there is a dominant team that has played dominant for most of the season, I think getting beat in the conference tourn. is a wake up call.  Did we win the SECT when we won the NCAA's? (No, seriously, I don't remember...but I don't think we did).  Anyway, it can get a very good team back on track and play hungry again.

However, for a team that success is a new thing (like a couple weeks) and they are just learning how to win games, they need to run the table.  This team will only get stronger if they win.  More focused, more confident, have more of a swagger.  We need to make a run.  I think the confidence of this team may still be a little fragile.

no, i am pretty sure kentucky won that year. we have won only one sec conference tournament and that was the one that got nolan the new contract. i was thinking the ole miss loss kind of sparked our team to a 5 game win streak, but in most cases i think it is good for a top level team to get a loss before going into the ncaa's , kind of helps them get focused, but i think our team needs to win, win, and win some more, we have to distance ourselves from losing, we have already done too much of that over the past 3 and 3/4 years.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: othermac on March 08, 2006, 07:35:25 am

no, i am pretty sure kentucky won that year. we have won only one sec conference tournament and that was the one that got nolan the new contract. i was thinking the ole miss loss kind of sparked our team to a 5 game win streak, but in most cases i think it is good for a top level team to get a loss before going into the ncaa's , kind of helps them get focused, but i think our team needs to win, win, and win some more, we have to distance ourselves from losing, we have already done too much of that over the past 3 and 3/4 years.

Exactly.  +karma
Retired Radio Host

othermac

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 08, 2006, 07:36:42 am
Quote from: othermac on March 08, 2006, 07:35:25 am

Exactly.  +karma

there, evened up your key, ugly uncle, now that i actually finish reading your post, i basically typed the same statement all over again, sorry.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

hogfankb

We play a lot of players compared to most teams in the NCAA. With 9 players getting solid minutes and then a 2 or 3 day rest with light practices I don't think fatigue will be too much of a factor. No team should ever lay down but I am not going to be heart broken if we get beat by a team like Florida or Tenn.

If we lose to georgia then I will be pissed.

brodie_hawg

I bet a team like a Kentucky, North Carolina, or Duke does not take that approach of losing early in the conference tournament so they will be rested.  These teams expect to win every game they play, whether its 3 or 4 games in as many days and turning around and playing a few days later.  Thats the philosophy of great teams.

razorback3072

Quote from: hogfankb on March 08, 2006, 07:56:50 am
We play a lot of players compared to most teams in the NCAA. With 9 players getting solid minutes and then a 2 or 3 day rest with light practices I don't think fatigue will be too much of a factor. No team should ever lay down but I am not going to be heart broken if we get beat by a team like Florida or Tenn.

If we lose to georgia then I will be pissed.

This will be the key if we run the table to the finals.  The GA game needs to be a blowout quick to get the starters lots of rest.  McCurdy, Cyrus and Hunter is are going to have to get lots of minutes throughout the Tourney but especially in the first game if we stand a chance to make it through.  DJ will get a lot of minutes but we know what happens when he is in the game for extended periods.  I want to win the SEC b/c I don't believe we have a chance at a NC this year but I am holding out hope.  But I also don't want to be one and done in the NCAA.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 07, 2006, 11:36:23 pm
Doug Gottlieb talked about this very thing the other night.  Said they bussed back late from Kansas City after playing 4 games in 4 days and losing in the finals.  Then you catch a flight to the NCAA site to play a game on Thursday and things can be hectic.  I agree you can recharge physically, but it may be tougher mentally.  These guys have been thru a long, grinding 30 game season.  Rested takes on many forms and I want them to be fresh mentally.  Besides, it won't hurt them to have the extra rest.  The coaches also have time to scout their opponets a few hours earlier when the brackets are released instead of having to travel back.  This last reason may not be a big one but I'm not going to be upset if we get knocked out.  I don't care about winning the SEC tourney.  That said, I'll be rooting for the hogs always to win.  Their just isn't that much at stake in my mind.

I agree totally. We need to go ahead and beat UGA tomorrow. Anything after the UGA game is gravy for me. It would certainly be nice to beat Florida and then LSU because they are ranked and will be more feathers in the cap and most importantly will improve our seed in the Big Dance but Im not gonna be totally bummed if we lose to UF on Friday in a close game. Now if UF kills us, I might be a little worried.

If we did lose to UF on Friday, "the bat" will probably be the first one here start the "FIRE HEATH" bandwagon again.

Boner

Further we advance in SECT = better seed we get = easier opponents we play = further we advance in NCAAT

PAHog

If winning the tourney is going to get us a 6-seed, I'll take it.  7-seed in a bracket where someone like UNC is the #2, no thanks.  Beat Georgia and lose to FL and have an 8-seed in a Gonzaga #1 bracket and I'm happy.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

HoopS

This thread is waaaay too long. 

Simple answer here.   
You always play to win.

Ross U (HDHF)

silvertip

Quote from: Boner on March 08, 2006, 08:54:36 am
Further we advance in SECT = better seed we get = easier opponents we play = further we advance in NCAAT

Exactly, Boner. We need to get as high an NCAAT seed as possible. I think we go into SECT as an 8 seed. Go at least 2-1 & I think we are at least a 7 & maybe a 6.

7 seeds get a 2 seed in the 2nd round, & 6 seed gets us a #3 in the 2nd round. There's a lot of drop-off between the top 4 teams & the next 10 or 15.

hogsrmyfav36

Quote from: batmanfan on March 07, 2006, 11:04:51 pm
Does anyone else besides me believe this is a bullshite theory?  The only thing to worry about if this team goes 4 games in 4 days is the chance of emotional letdown.  Fatigue should really not be a factor.

For an example to help out my fans, The Bat brings to Hogville an example both true and trusted.  The Bat could start a nice 4 day journey of running 5 miles per day, through heat and wind, hill after hill (which has been done before by the Bat.)  By that fourth day the Bat's may be getting a little sore, a little tired...but when the acomplishment has been delievered the Bat wears that championship belt around and celebrates...much like a team that would go and win 4 games in four days. 

By the next Thursday the Bat is ready for go run once again, way overdue since the Bat would be back on that tuesday.

Just showing fatigue should not be a problem with this team to run the table.  Its not like we are in the running for the National Championship anyways.

BAT

It's argument, not arguement

Who knew Dan Quayle posts on Hogville?
F&*!NG INTRANET

taintlint

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 07, 2006, 11:30:41 pm
not in the running for the NC? well why in the hell are we so worked up about getting into the tourny? i bet NC state wasnt in the running for when they won it either. ya get in the tourny and the season starts over.

as for losing in the SEC tourney; i dont think anyone would ever want to lose a game, but this is a case where losing offers a little bit of consolation. losing = more days to get your legs back. playing 40 minutes of basketball at that high of a level is much more strenuous than running 5 miles. to do it 4 times in 4 days is brutal, but the other team will be in the same boat. getting that 1st round bye would have helped us out. we are about the only SEC team with the depth to do it. guess we'll find out.

We are no where in the running for an NC. Not a "Final 4" or even the "Elite 8". Even our best case scenario seeding at this point would have us paired with a #1 or #2 seed match up in the 2nd round and it only gets tougher from there. We are happy to be going because it has been YEARS since we were last invited. Let's not sugarcoat this.

wishyjoshy

So on one hand we have the physical and mental wear down that is associated with playing too many games in a specific time  span and on the other hand we have the mental and emotional break down that can come from a heart wrenching loss.
With teams like Duke, UConn, UNC, Ohio State, etc., a loss late in the season doesn't really spell mental and emotional break down.  Those teams are experienced don't play off of emotion AS MUCH as younger and inexperienced teams do.  Right now, we are inexpereienced in the tournament, and really, anything past March.  We need to continue winning to keep the guys' heads up.  Our team can do much better with physical fatigue than they can with mental and emotional hardships.

cardinalhawg

A team should play to win each time that it steps on the floor.  Resting up for the NCAA Tournament, by not playing putting much effort out in the SEC Tournament makes no sense.  The Hogs need to try and win the SEC Tournament and get as high a seed as possible.  Winning the SEC Tournament would be a better feather in the cap IMO, than going to the Sweet 16.  You play to win.  These guys need to be conditioned at this point to have the endurance to play games back to back.

HoopS

HogInaStrangeLand

Quote from: taintlint on March 08, 2006, 10:45:26 am

We are no where in the running for an NC. Not a "Final 4" or even the "Elite 8". Even our best case scenario seeding at this point would have us paired with a #1 or #2 seed match up in the 2nd round and it only gets tougher from there. We are happy to be going because it has been YEARS since we were last invited. Let's not sugarcoat this.

You say "WE", from most every one of your posts I have a hard time classifying "YOU" in the first person plural with 'ME'.

I know the hogs can hang with anyone...FACT.
We played UCONN tough, they are the best overall, but it only comes down to who's the BETTER in 6 games.

Also, we, and I can say 'We' with a straight face, beat a 1 or 2 seed WE take over their track through the tournament.

'We aren't in the running for a NC??  Your damn right, you aren't"
My team, Arkansas, is...
that's exactly what they're in the running for, along side 64 other teams.

taintlint

Quote from: HogInaStrangeLand on March 08, 2006, 11:56:00 am

You say "WE", from most every one of your posts I have a hard time classifying "YOU" in the first person plural with 'ME'.

We played UCONN tough, they are the best overall, but it only comes down to who's the BETTER in 6 games.

Also, we, and I can say 'We' with a straight face, beat a 1 or 2 seed WE take over their track through the tournament.

My team, Arkansas, is...

You are delusional.

TuckFexas

I'll use 2 examples from other sports to make the case we don't need to lose and rest. 1) The Pittsburgh Steelers this year. They didn't have any rest before the playoffs started, were on a roll, and continued it to win the Superbowl. 2) The Houston Astros from this past baseball season. They were 15 games under .500 early in the year. Went on a tear and won the Wild Card and beat my beloved Cardinals who had been on cruise control almost the entire year. They made it to the World Series, even though they didn't win it.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

HogInaStrangeLand

March 08, 2006, 12:22:33 pm #26 Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:26:20 pm by HogInaStrangeLand
Quote from: taintlint on March 08, 2006, 12:14:15 pm

My team, Arkansas, is...

You are delusional.

What would you have said to a person that told you Arkansas would have won out the regular season after the loss to Ole Miss at Ole Miss?

Including beating 2 top 10 teams and one of them at their own home.

HogInaStrangeLand

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 08, 2006, 12:18:17 pm
I'll use 2 examples from other sports to make the case we don't need to lose and rest. 1) The Pittsburgh Steelers this year. They didn't have any rest before the playoffs started, were on a roll, and continued it to win the Superbowl. 2) The Houston Astros from this past baseball season. They were 15 games under .500 early in the year. Went on a tear and won the Wild Card and beat my beloved Cardinals who had been on cruise control almost the entire year. They made it to the World Series, even though they didn't win it.

Don't forget they came off that monster 18 inning game with my Braves, to continue on to beat your beloved Cardinals.

(just furthering your point.)

taintlint

Quote from: HogInaStrangeLand on March 08, 2006, 12:22:33 pm
Quote from: taintlint on March 08, 2006, 12:14:15 pm

My team, Arkansas, is...

You are delusional.

What would you have said to a person that told you Arkansas would have won out the regular season after the loss to Ole Miss at Ole Miss?

Please. Just stop. Only you and Rick Schaeffer feel like the UA are contending for a NC.

HogInaStrangeLand

My teams play to win...period.

Furthermore, I don't think we will win a NC, I think we go to elite eight.

I think people like you are weak little people that always profess the worst case as reality so that you are never let down because they can't handle being let down.  I think that is sad. 
I wish you could enjoy overcoming remarkable odds to succeed at something so that maybe you might be delusional, too.  I think you hate that some people never give up as long as they have the most remote of chance because you feel bad because you may possess that kind of perseverence, yet don't call upon it.

and I find that sad.

+1 for you, you need all you can get.

taintlint

Quote from: HogInaStrangeLand on March 08, 2006, 12:37:04 pm

I think people like you are weak little people that always profess the worst case as reality so that you are never let down because they can't handle being let down.  I think that is sad. 
I wish you could enjoy overcoming remarkable odds to succeed at something so that maybe you might be delusional, too.  I think you hate that some people never give up as long as they have the most remote of chance because you feel bad because you may possess that kind of perseverence, yet don't call upon it.

and I find that sad.

Spoken like a man who has no idea who he is talking to! Congrats on overcoming whatever the difficulties you may have faced in life were. I'm not sure what the difficulties of your life have to do with elevating the UA and downgrading their opponents but hey, whatever works for you Mr. Schaeffer.

HogInaStrangeLand

Quote from: taintlint on March 08, 2006, 12:43:48 pm
Quote from: HogInaStrangeLand on March 08, 2006, 12:37:04 pm

and I find that sad.

Spoken like a man who has no idea who he is talking to! Congrats on overcoming whatever the difficulties you may have faced in life were. I'm not sure what the difficulties of your life have to do with elevating the UA and downgrading their opponents but hey, whatever works for you Mr. Schaeffer.

Ironic, I'm not Mr. Shaeffer.

VoR

Much of the theory about "good loses" comes from the fact that streaks are meant to be broken, if you look around at most of the teams that are bracket bound I'd bet almost all have had a 6 game winning streak, but how many of these teams have put together 9, 10, or more game winning streaks, and that is with some cupcakes thrown in.
Once you get to the dance other then the 1st round there are no more games you don't have to prepare for like it's your last game of the season ( and not a wise idea to look past 1st game either, every higher seed except the #1's have lost a 1st round game, and more then 1 #1 has been sweating with 2 minutes left).
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

FLKeysGuy

It's a great theory!!!  In fact, I'm going to try to apply it at work...  "Hey, I'm gonna take the rest of the week off so I'm good and rested for next week." 

Yeah, right.  I think I'd return to find my office boxed up on the sidewalk.

Just win baby!!!

The real Hogules

To say that the Razorbacks have NO chance at ALL in the NCAAT is bullcrap.
Look, I don't think that we'll pull it off, but until someone knocks us out of the tournament we have as good a chance as anybody.
I've said on several different boards that the talent level of this team is FAR above what's been up on the Hill in a looooooooong time.
If they'll continue to play team ball (giving the bigs some touches) instead of passing it around the outside a few times and jacking up a three, we can play with ANYBODY in the SECT or the NCAAT.
We can match up with just about any team that we may encounter in either tournament.
I'm starting to believe in this team and a victory over Georgia on Thursday will get them primed to play Florida.
If we can beat Florida in the second round, then the SECT should be ours to lose.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

taintlint

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 08, 2006, 02:29:39 pm

If we can beat Florida in the second round, then the SECT should be ours to lose.

We are HOPING for our team to find the motivation and courage to beat UF and advance to the SEMI-FINALS of the SEC tournament and in the same breath we talk of the Elite 8 or a NC? Ummmm......National Championship caliber teams pretty much circle the conference tourny as big fat "W".

HoopS

Plenty of elite 8 and final 4 teams didn't fare well in conf tournaments.

Florida is a good team.

taintlint

Quote from: hoophogs on March 08, 2006, 03:02:16 pm
Plenty of elite 8 and final 4 teams didn't fare well in conf tournaments.

Florida is a good team.

Well, my fingers are crossed. I am new in my walk with Heath. I just converted to Heathism about 3 weeks ago so I'm still a little weak in my daily journey.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 08, 2006, 06:44:59 am
These guys are 19-20 year old kids.  I don't believe playing a basketball game wears them out that much because if they weren't in a game, they'd be playing pickup games back home expending  more energy in that than they do in a 40 minute game.

You beat me to it. 

There is never, ever, EVER a benefit to losing.

Arkansas is playing for better seeding now, anyway.

Fatigue should be the least of our worries.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HoopS

mbgrulz

March 08, 2006, 10:51:47 pm #40 Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:54:10 pm by mbgrulz

so if we go by your analysis, we should just have a tourney for the 1's and 2's. last time i checked, this is called MARCH MADNESS. anybody can win and giants are killed by the handfulls. i am not saying we favored to win, i am just saying that we are CONTENDING. we will be as scary as anybody out there. the mid-majors who get inflated seeds are more appealing for the 1's and 2's to play than we are. we have the athletes to defend and the depth to last. people will be scared of us come tourney time. predictions are not valid at this point because you dont know who were playing, so nobody can say where we will end up.

oh yeah, BTW there is only 1 1 seed and 1 2 seed per bracket, if we beat one of them, only lower seeds remain.

hogtheball

Quote from: taintlint on March 08, 2006, 02:47:58 pm
Quote from: The real Hogules on March 08, 2006, 02:29:39 pm

We are HOPING for our team to find the motivation and courage to beat UF and advance to the SEMI-FINALS of the SEC tournament and in the same breath we talk of the Elite 8 or a NC? Ummmm......National Championship caliber teams pretty much circle the conference tourny as big fat "W".

If you have talent, depth, and a couple of breaks - almost anything can happen in the tournament.  When Day, Maybery, Miller and crew went to the final four, they didn't have to play a single team who was ranked in the top 20 until they met Duke in the final four.   

Why proclaim the obvious, when the unknown is so much more fun.  Geez, I'm glad you're not a coach.  "Guys you've had a better year than I thought you should have.  Somehow, you got in the tournament even though you're obviously just here for the ride.  I'm proud of you, now go out there and prove you're posers."

Arkansas has already proven they can hang with the contenders, "always believe."  That's what makes sports worthwhile.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Hawgin84

Hey guys, think how many times your bracket got blown all to crap by a team or two who wasn't supposed to make it. The Hogs can very well be that team this year. Just win baby.  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:

Beaverfever

John Brady is just making excuses cuz he knows without thomas and w/a sub par mitchell the tigers are SCREWED.  They have no bench at all.  They play 6 guys.  Now Brady is going to have to play guys who haven't played all season.  If LSU were to actually rest thomas, mitchell, and davis as has been speculated they'd get beat by vanderbilt by 25 points.  So, I'm interested in seeing what John Brady's idea of resting up is.  I hope that we could lose any one player on this team and not have to forfeit.