Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depth Chart?

Started by -Blu, October 26, 2012, 10:53:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

October 26, 2012, 10:53:24 am Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:12:50 am by daSnake014
After watching PTATP I definitely think we'll be a deeper team this year.  I was wanting to see what everyone's opinions are on our players and what you guys think our rotation will look like. 

I think we'll play 10-11 guys this year.  Some freshmen that I'm really looking forward to see play after PTATP are Wagner and Qualls.  Wagner is super quick and can get to the basket easily, he reminds me of a Kareen Reid type of guard.  Qualls plays a lot bigger than 6-5, I seen him grab some boards and play in the block and the kid is super athletic.  I'm assuming Gulley will get some playing time based off of PTATP, he seemed to be one of the vocal points in the offense, he took a lot of shots (missed most of them) and had the ball in his hand often, I could be completely wrong on this, if anyone else knows more about him please share.  But anyways, I posted my opinion on our rotation with average minutes per game below

G-Young(31mpg)/Wagner(9mpg)
G-Wade(22mpg)/Madden(18mpg)
G-Scott(22mpg)/Qualls(10mpg)/Gulley(8mpg)
F-Clarke(24mpg)/Williams(16mpg)
F-Powell(24mpg)/Mickelson(16mpg)

Uncommon

Quote from: daSnake014 on October 26, 2012, 10:53:24 am
But anyways, I posted my opinion on our rotation this year below:
G-Young/Wagner
G-Wade/Madden
G-Scott/Gulley/Qualls
F-Clarke/Williams
F-Powell/Mickelson
You forgot Anthlon Bell.

widespreadsooie

God, we're going to be good and even better in two years.

Uncommon

Quote from: razorback1 on October 26, 2012, 11:11:19 am
God, we're going to be good and even better in two years.
Exactly.  +1.

-Blu

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on October 26, 2012, 11:08:51 am
You forgot Anthlon Bell.

I don't think Bell will play much this year if at all.  He's more of a undersized 2 guard.  I don't think he's going to get minutes over wade,scott,madden,qualls. 

Uncommon

Quote from: daSnake014 on October 26, 2012, 11:15:35 am
I don't think Bell will play much this year if at all.  He's more of a undersized 2 guard.  I don't think he's going to get minutes over wade,scott,madden,qualls. 
That is a good problem to have unlike last year where we were playing our walk-ons in some lineup changes.  Now, we have a full 13 with only one (Alandise Harris) sitting out due to transfer rules.  Gotta love that depth.

downsouthhawg72

Bell will play because he can shoot. We have some streaky shooters so we will need him at some point in this season.
DownSouthHawg

-Blu

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on October 26, 2012, 11:20:37 am
Bell will play because he can shoot. We have some streaky shooters so we will need him at some point in this season.

Hope your right, I heard he was a really good shooter in high school. I'm strictly going off of what I seen at PTATP, he definitely looked like he was one of the odd men out when he was on the court.  ESPN has him listed as 6'3 that can't be right he looked shorter than both Wade and Scott, I would give him 6'1 at the tallest.

choppedporkextrasauce

October 26, 2012, 11:41:05 am #8 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:45:53 am by choppedporkextrasauce
considering how well he played on the Italian tour I think you're find him out there a lot, especially with his ability not only to shoot but to score.

Also with the extra depth I seriously think figuring the minutes will be difficult. Last season Young played 25 minutes a game and with more players, better depth and talent I don't see his minutes increasing that much, especially when he will be asked to go at such a fast pace while he's out there.

Niels Boar

Bell will probably look a lot more useful in the actual offense.  His job this season will probably be to spot up behind the arc and hope the D ignores him.  As I recall, a lot of folks thought Bradley had no business on the team before he was actually seen in a real game.  There certainly weren't many predictions in the preseason of his frosh year that he would lead us in scoring at some point in his career.

UNCLE BACK

The thing I can tell you is that in Coach Andersons practices, alot of the new guys do not look great... Gametime will be different.

Danny J

Quote from: pridgehog on October 26, 2012, 02:09:31 pm
The thing I can tell you is that in Coach Andersons practices, alot of the new guys do not look great... Gametime will be different.
Can you be more specific. It is not considered player bashing so what have you noticed specifically about some of the new guys. Dying to get some practice info. Thanks

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on October 26, 2012, 03:24:03 pm
Can you be more specific. It is not considered player bashing so what have you noticed specifically about some of the new guys. Dying to get some practice info. Thanks
Well, I moved to NWA Joe Johnsons Freshmen year and I was so hungry for Hawg Ball that I went to practice about 3 times a week. I remember thinking Joe did not look that great in practices and some of the other guys too.. Then the games started and I was suprised at how good some of them looked compared to practice. Mike and Nolans practices are very similar in that they are so intense with Running and defense, you do not get to see a guys skill set as much as you will in games... They are very physical in practice, nobody gets a free lane to the basket and if you go in, you are going to get knocked on your A$$!!  The new guys look a little timid but that is to be expected because they are not used to this style yet... Hunter Mickleson looked good in yesterdays practice and I think he is starting to get his feet under him. When the lights come on at Bud this year, we will kick the ever living dog crap out of alot of people. The freshmen will be 5 times better come Febuary... My whole point is that right now it is hard to say what minutes who will get and which guys will contribute the most... We are deep and Athletic, I can tell you that for sure.

The_Iceman

Bell is a solid 6'3" and can shoot.

Him not playing will be due more to the guys in front of him and not his lack of talent.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2012, 05:57:44 pm
Bell is a solid 6'3" and can shoot.

Him not playing will be due more to the guys in front of him and not his lack of talent.
May not have a lack of talent, but he does have a lack of developed skills to see sufficient time. Not knocking him, I think he's gonna be a Wade like shooter and an average defender. But right now he doesn't have the skills to see a lot of playing time. But one thing you can't underestimate like someone mentioned is a kids "gamer" skills. Some kids don't flash in practice but put them under the lights and things start to click.

SWD26

Quote from: pridgehog on October 26, 2012, 03:43:49 pm
Well, I moved to NWA Joe Johnsons Freshmen year and I was so hungry for Hawg Ball that I went to practice about 3 times a week. I remember thinking Joe did not look that great in practices and some of the other guys too.. Then the games started and I was suprised at how good some of them looked compared to practice. Mike and Nolans practices are very similar in that they are so intense with Running and defense, you do not get to see a guys skill set as much as you will in games... They are very physical in practice, nobody gets a free lane to the basket and if you go in, you are going to get knocked on your A$$!!  The new guys look a little timid but that is to be expected because they are not used to this style yet... Hunter Mickleson looked good in yesterdays practice and I think he is starting to get his feet under him. When the lights come on at Bud this year, we will kick the ever living dog crap out of alot of people. The freshmen will be 5 times better come Febuary... My whole point is that right now it is hard to say what minutes who will get and which guys will contribute the most... We are deep and Athletic, I can tell you that for sure.

Thanks pridgehog for the update.

I'm glad to hear that Mickelson may be coming along okay. I don't know how many minutes he'll get this year, but believe it's all up to him. If he can be physical and work hard on the court, and hopefully stay out of foul trouble he'll probably get all the minutes he wants as small as we are upfront.

mhuff

Quote from: SWD26 on October 26, 2012, 08:43:13 pm
Thanks pridgehog for the update.

I'm glad to hear that Mickelson may be coming along okay. I don't know how many minutes he'll get this year, but believe it's all up to him. If he can be physical and work hard on the court, and hopefully stay out of foul trouble he'll probably get all the minutes he wants as small as we are upfront.

WBOBO

Should be a fun year to watch a great bunch of athletes turn this program around.  I will have to admit my expectations are very high this year.  I really
believe 24 wins are obtainable.  I think Marshawn's prese
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

WBOBO

I think Marshawn's presence and leadership on the court will be noticed immediately.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

SWD26

Quote from: WBOBO on October 26, 2012, 09:43:32 pm
I think Marshawn's presence and leadership on the court will be noticed immediately.

The way Coach Anderson has talked, Powell is really hungry. If he doesn't re-hurt his leg or something I expect him to have a great year!