Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Logan Lowery
‏@loganlowery
4h4 hours ago

Malzahn concerned about MSU's cowbells http://www.djournal.com/sports/malzahn-concerned-about-msu-s-cowbells/article_a10c1c3c-a1fb-545e-af07-da44319c68bd.html ... via @DJournalnow

QuoteSince opening the season in Atlanta against Washington, the Tigers have had four straight games inside Jordan-Hare Stadium and face their first road test at Mississippi State at one of the loudest venues in college football.

"We're real concerned with the noise," said Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn. "It's usually very loud with the cowbells and everything that goes with that. We've just really been practicing hard with crowd noise and everything that goes with it because this will really be our first true away game."

For whom the bell tolls
In an effort to combat the cowbells, Malzahn wants to test out the new rule the SEC implemented this summer which states that Bulldog fans must stop ringing their favorite artificial noisemakers whenever the center Nick Brahms grabs the football.

"He'll have his hand on that ball pretty quick," Malzahn said. "We just need to make sure that the cowbells stop when his hand is on the ball."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Music City Bowl bans Mississippi State Cowbells

QuoteCEO Scott Ramsey said on ESPN 680 Louisville this week that Mississippi State fans will not be allowed to bring their cowbells into Nissan Stadium
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Mike Leach@Coach_Leach
· Dec 20

Don't worry, MSU Bulldogs, I spoke to the Armed Forces Bowl people and we WILL be able to have cowbells in Amon G. Carter Stadium!  See you in Fort Worth on December 31st!

Mike Leach gets it.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Lane Kiffin on Mississippi State cowbells: 'They don't even come close to following the rules' http://dlvr.it/SDDtcR

QuoteLane Kiffin and Mike Leach have mutual respect for one another. Leading up to the Egg Bowl, Kiffin and Leach expressed kind words...

Following Ole Miss' 31-21 win over Mississippi State, Kiffin was asked about his Vince Carter gesture on the Ole Miss sideline toward MSU fans, and the Rebels head coach took the opportunity to sound off on the cowbells.

"Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that," Kiffin said about his gesture towards MSU fans. "I get it now. It was different to come in here with Alabama. There are a lot of things said to you on the way out. Their players say a lot of things during the game. It gets emotional and it gets competitive. I did kind of get caught up in that.

"And those bells are really annoying, by the way. They don't even come close to following the rule. Whatever rule that is that they are supposed to stop, they don't."

In 2019, the SEC passed a proposal forbidding forms of artificial noisemakers (cowbells) during games from the time the center puts his hand on the football until it is snapped.

MSU fans were called out earlier during the 2021 Egg Bowl for not following the rules.

To be clear State was called out on social media, not be the officials.

Also other schools, including Bama play their artificial noise after the center puts his paw on the ball.

greenEGnHAWGS

Every team who plays MSU at home should bring cowbells, fog horns, etc. Why are noisemakers even allowed?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HogBreath

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 08, 2022, 11:40:48 amEvery team who plays MSU at home should bring cowbells, fog horns, etc. Why are noisemakers even allowed?

Commissioner Sanka said come on...they have nothing else.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawg414

It's extremely annoying. And makes it almost unwatchable.  Thankfully the broadcast has the ability to filter that crap out when they want to.  I just don't understand why they allow it on the broadcast period.

Torqued pork

Make the Miss. State hefty coeds leave them around their necks I say.

HogWilde

Really is the most annoying thing in the SEC if not all of college football.

I did notice tho that because of the rule that they cannot keep ringing just before the snap, the crowd noise in general is greatly reduced. Their fans are lazy because of it. I'd take consistent crowd noise any day over noisemakers. Thank God it's not kazoo's.
Jonathan "Hog" Wilde

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 08, 2022, 11:40:48 amEvery team who plays MSU at home should bring cowbells, fog horns, etc. Why are noisemakers even allowed?

Yes. What I said earlier today. Make them deal with it on road.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jbcarol

Brian Kelly reveals he used cowbells in practice ahead of Week 3 vs. Mississippi State

Quote"We had them out at practice yesterday and they create a different environment, that is certain," Kelly said during the SEC coaches teleconference Wednesday. "But I guess it's like anything else. If you get used to it during the week of practice, it then becomes your job to make sure they're not as active in the game by playing well. So certainly early in the game we expect a really enthusiastic crowd, and it'll be up to our play to manage that. But again, I think you have to prepare for the eventuality of silent count and things of that nature. But no, it's the first time that I've gone into an environment with a cowbell."

LSU's looking for an early SEC win over Mississippi State.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Milroe shares how Bryce Young taught him about cowbells in Starkville
Rolando Rosa | 1 MINUTE AGO

QuoteMilroe is leaning on the lessons he learned from Bryce Young while being his understudy for the Crimson Tide's last trip to Starkville. In that contest, Alabama routed Mississippi State 49-9 behind 348 yards and 4 touchdowns from the No. 1 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

The Next Round
@NextRoundLive

Saturday won't be Jalen Milroe's first experience with the cowbells at Mississippi State. He was taking notes when @_bryce_young led the Crimson Tide to victory in Starkville in 2021. #RollTide #CFB

"Bryce did a lot of good things for us while he was here at quarterback. The 1 thing that I truly admired while he was here was how poised he was and confident he was, no matter the circumstance whether it was a home game or away game," Milroe said. "He was always confident. His leadership was key. Bryce had great leadership while he was here."

Alabama at Mississippi State is slated for 9 p.m. EST and will be televised on ESPN.

jbcarol

How Bama tuned out, shut down cowbells

Matt Stahl

QuoteOne cowbell sounds like an amplified metal BB rattling around in an empty spray paint can. If there's thousands of them ringing at once, like when Alabama football visited Mississippi State on Saturday, the singular annoyance factor goes down, but the volume and impact skyrockets.

The listening experience at Davis Wade Stadium is like a 100-decibel rattlesnake, instantly recognizable and quite dangerous. It's the kind of sound that rings in the ears for hours.

Early on in the game, it seemed the noise was impacting Alabama. It was most notable in the first quarter, when Crimson Tide center Seth McLaughlin snapped the ball to Milroe while the signal-caller was looking toward the sideline, clearly unprepared...

State fans are supposed to put the bells away while the opposing offense is set. Before each play a message imploring the Bulldog faithful to rest their bells "And just yell" appeared on the scoreboard.

Attendees kind of listened. A little bit.

Even when Milroe prepared to take the snap, the shrill hum, though slightly lower in volume, often continued.

"Mississippi State brought it in the stands for sure," Milroe said. "And that allowed us to build a great game plan to combat that. SO it was definitely loud in there, but coming to the sideline, communicating with the team, we came on the same page and we were straight the rest of the game."

Milroe was right. As the game went along, the Tide seemed to figure out the noise issue and improved across the board.

Making things easier on that front, was the fact that Alabama was literally running away with the game.

As Alabama pulled away, fans trickled toward the exits. Those who remained seemed less interested in using their bells to benefit a Mississippi State squad that turned the ball over three times and had trouble mustering up an offense throughout.

"A lot of cowbells in the beginning of the half or whatnot, the (first) quarter," Alabama outside linebacker Chris Braswell said afterward. "Then, as you know, it eventually started to die down and once we got to that fourth quarter it was pretty much empty, you started to see a lot of gray seat covers."

It was all part of the Crimson Tide's plan