Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From Football Scoop, about the UK job

Started by Jim Harris, October 13, 2005, 06:15:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

http://www.footballscoop.com/scoop.htm

Kentucky scoop: Rumor has it that Rich Brooks has either been fired or asked to resign prior to the South Carolina game.    Insiders say that TTU Coach MIKE LEACH is the front runner for the job.  Other candidates include Mike Price, Chris Hatcher of Valdosta St., Norm Chow, and Joe Glenn of Wyoming

Dammit, no mention of Nutt as a candidate. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

TulsaHogFan

Would Norm Chow ever consider working here?  He is a guy i would let run the offense and coach.  I know there was some history there, but did not remember if it left bad blood like the Jimmy Johnson situation.

Chief Mac

Quote from: drakehog on October 13, 2005, 06:15:43 pm

Kentucky scoop: Rumor has it that Rich Brooks has either been fired or asked to resign prior to the South Carolina game. Insiders say that TTU Coach MIKE LEACH is the front runner for the job. Other candidates include Mike Price, Chris Hatcher of Valdosta St., Norm Chow, and Joe Glenn of Wyoming

Rumor down here in Valdosta is Hatcher will be moving on to be the O coordinator at FSU after enough boosters get Bobby to move his son somewhere.  Hatcher is a REALLY good coach.  Unlike his mentor (Mumme) he realizes that you need to have a defense as well as an offense. 

I hope that Nutt will move on to Kentucky.  Kentucky would love to win 5-7 games a year.  Wile E. Coyote is perfect for them!!

Give me Butch!!!

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

DOGALUM

It would piss me off if Kentucky got Chow and we held onto HDN.  If you're in a situation like we are, and a guy like Chow is available, you're an idiot if you don't pull the trigger. 

Imagine the numbers Mitch could put up with Chow and Malzahn working with him and the offense. :o
Also.....imagine the recruits that would want to come play in that offense!!!

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

WilsonHog

Nutt is working himself out of the Kentucky job.  It's tough for a SEC school, even Kentucky, to hire a coach who has posted back-to-back losing seasons. 

Now, if he can somehow get the Hogs to finish 6-5 or 7-4...............maybe.   

DOGALUM

By the way......all this crap about "no Nutt, no Mitch" is just that....crap.  Not saying he wouldn't take a step back and look at the situation...but it's not set in stone that he would leave.  I guarantee you that if Chow and Malzahn were both here...Mitch would be too.

mikeirwin

Quote from: pseudorabies on October 13, 2005, 06:20:47 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 13, 2005, 06:18:53 pm
Would Norm Chow ever consider working here? He is a guy i would let run the offense and coach. I know there was some history there, but did not remember if it left bad blood like the Jimmy Johnson situation.

I would have to say at one time it was yes seeing how Broyles already hired him once.....I doubt it now.
Broyles THOUGHT he had hired him. He had Chow all lined up to come but Danny Ford told Chow in a private meeting that he would not let him run the offense if it involved 4 and 5 wideouts.
Chow told Frank he wouldn't work for Danny and that was that. Frank read Danny the riot act after that and Ford did allow Kay Stephenson to implement a passing offense. However Stoerner was too inexperienced to pull it off. Clint finally got it down against LSU, the last game of the 97 season. He matured as a QB just in time to help Nutt's first team win 8 straight.

DOGALUM

Quote from: HoopHog on October 13, 2005, 07:04:56 pm
Quote from: DOGALUM on October 13, 2005, 06:44:52 pm
By the way......all this crap about "no Nutt, no Mitch" is just that....crap. Not saying he wouldn't take a step back and look at the situation...but it's not set in stone that he would leave. I guarantee you that if Chow and Malzahn were both here...Mitch would be too.

I believe you this time, Dog!!!
That's cool......but I'm still out on the kissing!!

NuttsSacked

Mike Leach, Mike Price, Norm Chow.  If UK picks up any of these 3 while Arkansas continues to hang on to Nutt, it's due to the fact Broyles is still AD. 

If Kentucky hires a reputable coach, will that be enough to shoot down the "who will come to Arkansas" argument?  The thought of UK getting one of these guys makes me sick considering the dumb-ass presently running the show in Fayetteville.

nwarazfan

October 13, 2005, 07:44:25 pm #9 Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:46:06 pm by nwarazfan
Its not because Broyles is AD.  Its because John White is chancellor and he won't let anyone be hired or fired without him and a committee being involved.  And because Nutt has good friends- one being The Grim Reaper of Arkansas Football.  Broyles cannot act alone and go hire a Leach away from TT and Leach would not subject himself to some stupid committee.  This blame Broyles stuff is nonsense.  I agree he has grown softer and weaker.  But many others are to blame for this mess too.

GIVE KING FRANK THE POWER BACK!

And Kentucky is a bad job.  Their recruiting is now split in state with a better program at Louisville.  Neighboring states like Tenn and Ohio have national powerhouse state programs.  The SECE is tough enough especially now that Spurrier is at SC.  SC won't be anything great but will be tough to move ahead if you're Kentucky.  Thats a bad college football job.  Leach should not leave Lubbock for UK.  Price and Chow could probably do better too.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: Thehammer on October 13, 2005, 07:50:06 pm

Kentucky scoop: Rumor has it that Rich Brooks has either been fired or asked to resign prior to the South Carolina game. Insiders say that TTU Coach MIKE LEACH is the front runner for the job. Other candidates include Mike Price, Chris Hatcher of Valdosta St., Norm Chow, and Joe Glenn of Wyoming

Coaching football at Kentucky is a dead end job. I can't see any of the above named coaches accepting the offer.

You don't know what the "offer" might be.  What if UK decided they want excellence in football as well as basketball?

NuttsSacked

Quote from: Thehammer on October 13, 2005, 08:07:14 pm
Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 13, 2005, 07:58:33 pm
Quote from: Thehammer on October 13, 2005, 07:50:06 pm

Coaching football at Kentucky is a dead end job. I can't see any of the above named coaches accepting the offer.

You don't know what the "offer" might be. What if UK decided they want excellence in football as well as basketball?

If they wanted "execellence" why would they come after Nutt?

I said nothing about Nutt or UK wanting him.  I was referring to the named coaches they're supposedly looking at.

Macgyver_Hawg

Kentucky is a dead end job because they let Guy Morris get a higher paycheck at Baylor and didn't try and keep him. 
However, Kentucky has not gone as high as they'd like in the NCAA basketball tourney while Louisville beats them in both Football and Basketball.  Louisville may be the very reason they start taking Football more serious and stop messing around.

nwarazfan

Talk about a cloud, Kentucky has had NCAA sanctions at least as bad as we have had.  They got hit pretty hard for their recruiting in Memphis. One incident involved former Ark/Danny Nutt recruit DB Leonard Taco Burress.  But UK obviously isn't giving Brooks a free pass for something he wasn't involved in.  He isn't getting it done and they are moving on.