Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunney over Malzhan

Started by HogHeathen, October 12, 2005, 12:51:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogHeathen

If I wanted to take a High School football coach I'd take Lunney before Malzhan all day long....Look at how many championships they have have both won...enough said...

Heathen out...

Fire HDN!!!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogHeathen on October 12, 2005, 12:51:22 pm
If I wanted to take a High School football coach I'd take Lunney before Malzhan all day long....Look at how many championships they have have both won...enough said...

Heathen out...

Fire HDN!!!
:puke: nuff said

HogHeathen

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 12:52:55 pm

Heathen out...

Fire HDN!!!

What? you don't agree?

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogHeathen on October 12, 2005, 12:54:30 pm
Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 12:52:55 pm

Heathen out...

Fire HDN!!!

What? you don't agree?

Guy I can't agree with that, Lunney is no way as good a coach as Gus.  You know that.

HogHeathen

Then why hasn't Gus won championships at the High School level.  Hell, Gus even got to "recruit"when he was at Shiloh!  Lunney has done it several times without the aid of 5 D-1 prospects!!!!               Your intelligent reply will be appreciated!!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogHeathen on October 12, 2005, 01:05:31 pm
Then why hasn't Gus won championships at the High School level. Hell, Gus even got to "recruit"when he was at Shiloh! Lunney has done it several times without the aid of 5 D-1 prospects!!!! Your intelligent reply will be appreciated!!

I think Gus has won 3 or 4 state championships. 

HogHeathen

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 01:08:11 pm
Then why hasn't Gus won championships at the High School level. Hell, Gus even got to "recruit"when he was at Shiloh! Lunney has done it several times without the aid of 5 D-1 prospects!!!! Your intelligent reply will be appreciated!!

You better think again....

WilsonHog

Don Campbell has won a few state championships at Wynne running the Diamond T, but I don;t think I'd want him over Malzahn because of it.

Frank McClellan anyone? He's won a few at Barton.

HogFather

Quote from: HogHeathen on October 12, 2005, 01:08:49 pm

Then how many has he won since you know so much??

HogHeathen

http://www.nohuddle.com/

2 to be exact and 6 trips to the finals at a "recruiting" high school!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogHeathen on October 12, 2005, 01:12:57 pm
http://www.nohuddle.com/

2 to be exact and 6 trips to the finals at a "recruiting" high school!

Well I know he has not been a coach in this state that long, I know Lunney has been a coach for quite a while and Lunney has less than five.  http://www.ahsaa.org/Record%20Book%20-%20Football.pdf

dirty stanchez

It's not about how many state titles they have won, it's how they run their team and if either of them are innovative or not.

Malzahn runs things in Chickendale like a small college and has an innovative offensive scheme that he has written a book about.

HogFather

Are you talking to yourself??  1998 and 1999.
"Drrrrrrrdmmmmmurrrrrr Yur buttr dink ugin drrrrrrrdoomeeekshrltska."

HogHeathen

Quote from: HogFather on October 12, 2005, 02:13:42 pm

Are you talking to yourself?? 1998 and 1999.
"Drrrrrrrdmmmmmurrrrrr Yur buttr dink ugin drrrrrrrdoomeeekshrltska."

Read the whole post...I posted a link smarta$$!

HogHeathen

Wow!  I guess if you write a book about high school football and your playbook that makes you all-knowing.   By the way, Lunney has won 4 5-a championships.  Malzhan 2 2-a titles.   hmmmmm...If Lunney was the coach of Mustain I bet you all would probably be singing his tune as well...

Don't get me wrong I don't think either one of them should be on the hill,  but if your going to put Malzhan on this pedastool then you need to look at the facts and how he compares to his peers (that haven't been fortunate enough to have 5 d-1 prospects on the same team and still produced championships in the toughest conference in the state)

Calvin N Hawgs

Lunney became HC at Southside in 1983 (yes, they won the title that year).  That means he has been a HC at the 5A level for 23 years, counting this one.  Malzahn took over Spdle in 2001.  So counting this year he has been a 5A coach for 5 years. 

How many SC will Malzahn have in 18 years?  The world will never know...he's movin' on up.

(I graduated from Southside in 83...the spring before Lunney took over)

Calvin N Hawgs

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on October 12, 2005, 02:37:09 pm
Lunney became HC at Southside in 1983 (yes, they won the title that year).  That means he has been a HC at the 5A level for 23 years, counting this one.  Malzahn took over Spdle in 2001.  So counting this year he has been a 5A coach for 5 years. 

How many SC will Malzahn have in 18 years?  The world will never know...he's movin' on up.

My bad....he took over in 86....   sorry

HogHeathen

89' here

HogHeathen

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on October 12, 2005, 02:40:16 pm
Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on October 12, 2005, 02:37:09 pm
Lunney became HC at Southside in 1983 (yes, they won the title that year). That means he has been a HC at the 5A level for 23 years, counting this one. Malzahn took over Spdle in 2001. So counting this year he has been a 5A coach for 5 years.

How many SC will Malzahn have in 18 years? The world will never know...he's movin' on up.

My bad....he took over in 86.... sorry

Try this....his first football season as a a head coach at Southside High was the fall of 89'.  Check it!!

SultanofSwine

Wilson, I'd take McClellan as HC, Gus as OC and Don Campbell as DC and be tickled.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 12, 2005, 02:52:59 pm
Wilson, I'd take McClellan as HC, Gus as OC and Don Campbell as DC and be tickled.

The real question is whether Springdale, FS Southside, or Bentonville would hire HDN as their football head coach?

Gman

Take Malzhan, we need an OC, look at the offense.  Lunney may be a better HC, don't know, but Gus is an offensive genious.

Calvin N Hawgs

89?  Wow, the 80's must have been harder on me that I thought! 

///my point is, Gus can and would win SC's at the 5A level.  I just think he'll leave for bigger and better things after this year...and I'd rather have him FOR me than AGIN me...ya know? 

Hog Bounty Hunter

Lunney is a average Joe Arkansas HS coach, nothing great.  He's not even in the same league as Malzahn.

HogFather

Quote from: Gman on October 12, 2005, 02:59:33 pm
Take Malzhan, we need an OC, look at the offense. Lunney may be a better HC, don't know, but Gus is an offensive genious.

Lunney has always had great defenses and knows how to play to his team strengths whether it is a passing attack, ground attack, or balanced.  I've seen him do all three with different teams.  But his defense is always great, ie. when they went 1-9 (they never lost by more than 10 points) and then they turned around a won state the next year. 
I guess what I am trying to say is either would be a good fit and I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing Lunney.   Being on the other side of Rogers Ave I got to see his teams first hand every year as well.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogFather on October 12, 2005, 03:48:16 pm
Take Malzhan, we need an OC, look at the offense. Lunney may be a better HC, don't know, but Gus is an offensive genious.

Lunney has always had great defenses and knows how to play to his team strengths whether it is a passing attack, ground attack, or balanced. I've seen him do all three with different teams. But his defense is always great, ie. when they went 1-9 (they never lost by more than 10 points) and then they turned around a won state the next year.
I guess what I am trying to say is either would be a good fit and I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing Lunney. Being on the other side of Rogers Ave I got to see his teams first hand every year as well.

1-9?  He sounds like another Nutt.

HogFather

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 03:49:46 pm
Quote from: HogFather on October 12, 2005, 03:48:16 pm

Lunney has always had great defenses and knows how to play to his team strengths whether it is a passing attack, ground attack, or balanced. I've seen him do all three with different teams. But his defense is always great, ie. when they went 1-9 (they never lost by more than 10 points) and then they turned around a won state the next year.
I guess what I am trying to say is either would be a good fit and I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing Lunney. Being on the other side of Rogers Ave I got to see his teams first hand every year as well.

1-9? He sounds like another Nutt.
Yeah but he didn't recruit that 1-9 and that 1-9 never gave up 70 points or lost by 53 points.

Cajun Hog

Heathen out...

Fire HDN!!!

You need to get out more.  GM is the BEST HS coach in hogland, period.  Lunney is a very good coach and this is not a fair comparison.   ::)

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 03:45:09 pmLunney is a average Joe Arkansas HS coach, nothing great.  He's not even in the same league as Malzahn.

You are fricking high.

I guess if Lunney did like Malzhan and wrote a book claiming to have invented an offensive system that's been around for years, you'd be on his jock as well.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: DR on October 12, 2005, 05:38:45 pm
Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 03:45:09 pmLunney is a average Joe Arkansas HS coach, nothing great. He's not even in the same league as Malzahn.

You are fricking high.

I guess if Lunney did like Malzhan and wrote a book claiming to have invented an offensive system that's been around for years, you'd be on his jock as well.

Are you ever right about anything?  Do you try to make yourself appear stupid or is it just a natural talent that you possess?  Oh, and your Wynne boys are going to get their butts kicked Friday Night.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HogHeathen on October 12, 2005, 02:42:26 pm

89' here

Class of '72 here.  God I feel old.  Knew Lunney when he played at Northsdie under Stancil
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

lumphog

So, thats why McClellan is retireing at Barton after this year. ;)

whatsshakinbacon

Heathen - are you not creative enough to come up with your own tagline?  I appreciate the admiration of mine, but Heathen out...?

Bacon out...

geoffhog

Lunney is fine coach. He won at SS and he'll win at Bentonville. Mahlzahn is an offensive genious and a great HC. Anyone who can't see it doesn't know jack about football.

Geoff out...

lol, sorry bacon, had to do it.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

J Man

Lunney is a decent coach, but is only a good coach at the level he is coaching right now.  Malzahn has the ambition and the talents to go to the next level.   Lunney is big on his self, but does not have the same ability as Malzahn to coach on the next level.  You must be gay to think otherwise.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: geoffhog on October 12, 2005, 06:16:31 pm
Lunney is fine coach. He won at SS and he'll win at Bentonville. Mahlzahn is an offensive genious and a great HC. Anyone who can't see it doesn't know jack about football.

Geoff out...

lol, sorry bacon, had to do it.

We ABSOLUTELY MUST have Malzahn on our staff next year.  I don't care if he's the equipment manager at least he'd be around and some of that execution and knowledge would rub off on our guys.  Geoff out is good, I rate it slightly higher than Heathen out, but nowhere near

Bacon out...

PintailKiller

I don't care if he's the equipment manager at least he'd be around and some of that execution and knowledge would rub off on our guys.

Thats assuming that the current staff is capable of absorbing good info.

Pintail down!
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 07:40:19 pm
I don't care if he's the equipment manager at least he'd be around and some of that execution and knowledge would rub off on our guys.

Thats assuming that the current staff is capable of absorbing good info.

Pintail down!

He11, I know the staff is incapable, I meant the players.

Bacon out...

PintailKiller

You know, 95% of people are looking for leadership and direction - this includes the Hog players.  That is why HDN managed to get his first team to overachieve.  His BS grew old fast. - What a bomb from Reggie Sanders - sorry. 
So getting back to the point, I agree that the players would absorb alot of knowledge from Gus Malzhan.
Pintail down.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 07:48:31 pm
You know, 95% of people are looking for leadership and direction - this includes the Hog players. That is why HDN managed to get his first team to overachieve. His BS grew old fast. - What a bomb from Reggie Sanders - sorry.
So getting back to the point, I agree that the players would absorb alot of knowledge from Gus Malzhan.
Pintail down.

Cardinals and Reggie Sanders rock!

Bacon out...

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 05:51:32 pmAre you ever right about anything?  Do you try to make yourself appear stupid or is it just a natural talent that you possess?  Oh, and your Wynne boys are going to get their butts kicked Friday Night.

Weak, even for you. 

I'm correct right now.  Don't let it chap your ass too much.

For someone that hated Malzhan's guts when he was at Shiloh, you sure have done one helluvan aboutface to have your nose so far up his ass now.

To say that Barry Lunney is an average coach is pretty stupid and even for you, that's saying something.

bwcole

I have been around the 5-A west (it was the 4-A west too)  since 82.  I am a Fayetteville grad.  Malzahn is THE best high school coach I have ever seen.  I went to the Fayetteville-Springdale game and the Russellville-Springdale game.  His entire operation is one of organization and knowledge.  Not once was there a player out of position,  or a time out called because the wrong personnel was on the field.  Gus runs a GREAT program, and the Hogs desparetely need his organizational skills as well as his offensive mind.  If you haven't been to a game he has coached,  shut up about him until you have.

THE HOGS NEED THIS GUY!!!!

yraciv

He had Slick, and all SS threw last year were screen passes.  Wasn't very innovative, but I do agree he is a good 5A coach and nothing more.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: bwcole on October 12, 2005, 09:55:13 pmIf you haven't been to a game he has coached,  shut up about him until you have.

I have, at Hughes, Shiloh, and Springdale.

Good coach, but I haven't and won't buy into the hype that others believe that Malzhan hung the moon and the stars.

lumphog

Look for him to have a big role in recruiting, maybe coordinator.

bwcole

Yep. That is what I said.  He hung the moon and stars.  Nice.  I said he was a great organizational coach, and the Hogs need that. 

Sonofahog

I'm new here.  This is good stuff.  I am all for Malzahn coming to coach for the Hogs as either a position coach or OC.  He will change all of the skeptics minds.  His high school team is run like a college team.  He is gonna be a keeper.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

preunions

GrizzledHogFan

I guess we'll see who's better this Friday.  ;)
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: DR on October 12, 2005, 09:47:50 pm
Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 12, 2005, 05:51:32 pmAre you ever right about anything? Do you try to make yourself appear stupid or is it just a natural talent that you possess? Oh, and your Wynne boys are going to get their butts kicked Friday Night.

Weak, even for you.

I'm correct right now. Don't let it chap your ass too much.

For someone that hated Malzhan's guts when he was at Shiloh, you sure have done one helluvan aboutface to have your nose so far up his ass now.

To say that Barry Lunney is an average coach is pretty stupid and even for you, that's saying something.

You ever notice how noone ever agrees with you and that you are always wrong?