Started by Turnberry, October 12, 2005, 07:30:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnberry

aka PlanoHog

TulsaHawg

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Turnberry on October 12, 2005, 07:30:04 am

http://www.wholehogsports.com/story.php?paper=adg&storyid=131292

The love affair with Nutt continues........

What a load of crap, I wonder if ole Wally just saves these columns of his changes a few names and uses them over each year? It's the same ole broken record.  I hope Wally is fired along with the rest of the Arkansas assistants.

JD Hogg

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 07:44:42 am

Good article.

I have a question for all you nuttsuckers.  At what point do you feel that a new coach is warranted?  Back to back losing seasons?  One more humiliating loss?  5 more humiliating losses?  At what point is enough enough? 

artyhog

Good article.  It is right on as to the way I am thinking.

For those of you that keep talking about some kind of sucking, maybe it is you who are trying to come out of the closet.

HaWg 10

Quote from: artyhog on October 12, 2005, 09:15:20 am
Good article. It is right on as to the way I am thinking.

For those of you that keep talking about some kind of sucking, maybe it is you who are trying to come out of the closet.

oooooh good one!!! man you are hilarious!!! FIRE HDN!!! WE WANT BUTCH!!! AND GUS!!
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

artyhog

Quote from: HaWg 10 WiLd on October 12, 2005, 09:19:56 am

oooooh good one!!! man you are hilarious!!! FIRE HDN!!! WE WANT BUTCH!!! AND GUS!!

Won't happen, get over it.  Oh by the way, good come back.

GorillaJMonsoon

October 12, 2005, 09:31:24 am #7 Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 09:40:40 am by GorillaJMonsoon
When does the "investigation" stop being an excuse for us losing?  Wally said that this was the 2nd year of the 2 year down period that we were warned about.  Can we begin to judge Nutt on his record beginning next year?  I just want to know when.  I think its a BS excuse and the investigation has no bearing on the fact that Nutt decided to bench Felix and Darren for the Vandy game.  He went away from the run when we needed to have extended drives that ran down the clock and kept Cutler off the field.  We needed to run then and didn't.  We were out rushed by Wake Forest's backup RB.  Not covering Alabama's receiver had nothing to do with the investigation.  They scored an easy TD to put the game out of reach.  Against ULM, when we had an opportunity to work on our passing game against a team that we could easily beat, we didn't take advantage of it, and ULM's placeholder had a TD pass completion that was longer than all but one of our QB's completions all year. (not counting screen passes)  These are not errors that can be explained by the investigation.  These are problems that result from decisions made by coaches.  Other than the Alabama touchdown, they are overall strategy errors, not one play busts.  I just want to know, directly, how the investigation resulted in these mistakes, and when we can expect to stop hearing this excuse for bad decisions in the future.

riverhog

I liked the comment about recruiting by other schools. "They were saying the  Razorback games would not be televised", took their toll. This is right. We weren't on television during bowl season last year and won't be this year. Not to mention the games this year that we have been passed on. The coaches will be saying the same thing this year too. Wally is to sportswriting what Mike Brown was to FEMA. A complete disaster. What an idiot.

artyhog

Quote from: Turnberry on October 12, 2005, 09:37:32 am

That's probably the worst comment I've heard on this board. You are a complete ass clown.

It was directed to one individual, not you.  If you are offended then I apologize.  It deffinately is not the worst thing that has peen posted on this board.  It is pretty mild in comarison to other things written.  It is not worse than the venom spewed at the coachs and team.

HaWg 10

Quote from: artyhog on October 12, 2005, 09:56:22 am

That's probably the worst comment I've heard on this board. You are a complete ass clown.

It was directed to one individual, not you. If you are offended then I apologize. It deffinately is not the worst thing that has peen posted on this board. It is pretty mild in comarison to other things written. It is not worse than the venom spewed at the coachs and team.

ok im done with the silly back and forth.. lets be serious for a second, what would you like to see happen at the end of the season?
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Swino

QuoteDoes anyone really think it's his play-calling that isn't up to par ?
Yes, unless you don't watch the games or read the stats

QuoteThis is the same coach who threw out of his end zone on first down Saturday .
One play makes him great?  What about running the same basic play 4 times against Vandy? 

QuoteWho calls for passes to be thrown by the tailback or even a wide receiver .
My daughter cheers for a pee wee football team.  BOTH teams used the TB to throw the ball multiple times last Saturday.  I guess their coaches should coach for the SEC

QuoteWho beat Texas in Austin and in the Cotton Bowl
Both were great wins.  But who lost to Vany at home?  Who lost to Kentucky at home? 

QuoteWho came within one fumble of beating Tennessee the year it won the national championship .
Moral victories still count as losses

QuoteA coach can only call plays for the personnel on hand .
And whose responsibility is it to recruit the personel?  And hey, how does Utep and TCU do so well with their offense?  Better players??

QuoteWhich is why the team is in a slump .
We are in a slump because Houston has assistant coaches that don't belong in the SEC (not all, but most).  Players that don't belong in the SEC(not all, but a lot.)  Has undercoached the players with less talent.  And hasn't recruited worth a damn.  Can't see the needs for next year until too late(see us just now hitting the JUCO's hard)

QuoteEveryone was warned when Nutt didn't go to Nebraska that the Razorbacks were going to be rebuilding for the next two seasons .
Rebuild from what?  His own shortcomings?  What changed on this football team from the day before Nebraska called Nutt till the day that Nutt decided to stay?  NOTHING.  What is there to rebuild from? Himself??

QuoteThat is not an excuse . It is a fact , and this is that second season .
Rebuilding from what?? What has he done differently? 

QuoteLast year , the cloud of the NCAA was removed for the first time since 2000 , and the recruiting class showed it . There is no need to name all who had to jump into an on-the-job training mode , but Marcus Harrison , Marcus Monk and Peyton Hillis are two-year starters .
We hashed this malarky out a long time ago, but here is the short of it.  The "Cloud" only effecte 2-3 players.  What hurt Houston more than anything was his pop warner assistant cronies coaches that got there asses handed to them on the recruiting trails by real SEC caliber assistant coaches.  The staff changes hurt too.  Every time I hear from the U of A press about the "cloud", I expect to hear spooky ghost noises to go along with it.  What a complete fabrication.

QuoteNone of them had the benefit of redshirting .
Few do.  Only the most out of their league players redshirt.  Instead, Houston likes to play someone one or two plays a year and scramble to get a medical hardship for them later.

QuoteJonathan Luigs is a redshirt freshman starting at right guard ( or center if needed ) .
True, and why is that?  Oh yeah, we have no depth on the O-line.  Injuries have forced Luigs to start.

QuoteFreddie Fairchild , Darren McFadden and Felix Jones are true freshmen who are starters ( McFadden and Jones are 1 and 1 A in my program ) .
Why is that?   Oh yeah, Houston has failed to recruit properly.  Funny Wally doesn't mention that we are even thinner at the LB spot than the OL spot.  We have a walkon in the 2 deep!  Unbelievable!  As far as running backs go, our talent is low at that position.  McFadden and Jones should start.  What happened to them during Vandy, Wally??

QuoteSeeing considerable action are true freshmen Marcus Shavers , Reggie Fish and Elston Forte .
Define considerable.  Must mean "very few plays and that is because of the total lack of depth.

QuoteRedshirt freshmen Cedric Logan and Zach Snider are being counted on more each game
Read lack of depth, Lack of quality players

QuoteOther sophomores who are contributing and didn't get to redshirt include Jamaal Anderson , Weston Dacus and Michael Grant
Why should Houston get any credit for this?  It is Houston's fault that they didn't redshirt.

QuoteThere are others , too , and though that proves the Razorbacks are truly young , that excuse isn't going to be offered here even though the facts are simple : 12 players starting or being counted on in the regular rotation are still teenagers .
Then why write it?  This reminds me of Ben Stiller's character on dodgeball, trying to clever and failing at it.  Hot girl "Are you reading?"  White "Yeah, oh, you caught me.  I like to break a mental sweat as well"  Hot girl "By reading a dictionary?"

QuoteWhat it proves is that the NCAA cloud cast a shadow over the university and hurt Nutt's recruiting even though he arrived on campus long after the violations .
What is "it".  I see not one point that validates anything about the cloud.  And hey, wasn't the point of this article to point out that Houston is the man for the job?  Excuses, excuses.

QuoteLost scholarships and negative recruiting by other schools ( recruits were told the Razorbacks' games would not be televised ) took their toll .
Boy, some facts here would really be nice wally.  Whay?  You don't have any? 

QuoteWhat the Razorbacks football program is , is a work in progress .
After 8 years, we are still a work in progress?  8 F*cKing years?  Our program is being held hostage by Jimbo Lindsey, get a clue wallace.

QuoteThe same thing that is going on in Bud Walton under Stan Heath's watch .
Note to the sports editor here, football and basket ball ARE different in many ways.  Nice nugget of an excuse though.

QuoteSome wise coach once philosophized that you ain't got no zoo without no animals .
You can't have a zoo without a crazyass elf spouting excuses.  I'm kidding, but seriously.  Isn't it the Zoo keepers responsiblity to get the animals?  And after 8 LONG years, should the zoo keeper keep his job if he still doesn't have any animals?  And what if the city and its citizens believed in what the zoo keeper said and built the best zoo in all the land.  When does accountability finally come?

QuoteNutt is getting better players , but it doesn't happen overnight , especially in Arkansas .
We are consistantly ranked 8th in recruiting.  We aren't building depth, still.  You forgot your  :'( icon after that last nugget.  Boo hoo, we only have the best facilities, the most money, one of the most beautiful spots in the country. 

QuoteWhen Butch Davis spoke to the Little Rock Touchdown Club a few weeks ago , he revealed a startling fact . His last year as head coach of the Miami Hurricanes , there were 75 Division-I players each year in Dade County alone .
What is the point here.  And hey, while I'm going to bother you with facts, give us a list of these players.  What?? You don't know who they are or where they went? 

QuoteTypically , the entire state of Arkansas will turn out eight to 12 Division-I players a year , which is why there are more starters from Texas on the Razorbacks team than from Arkansas .
And we don't get all of those.  How about that each team can only sign 25 Div I players??  Can we not scrape up 15 quality players from TX, LA, OK, MS, AL and GA?  Why not?

QuoteTexas is the No . 1 state in the country for producing D-I recruits .
But hey, aren't we next door to them???  Think we can land 5-10 quality folks per year?  Oh yeah, we would have to target them first.

QuoteIt is simple , folks . The NCAA investigation hurt , and since Nutt was not involved in the violations , he deserves a chance to get the program on course and on target .
It is simple.  Houston has been here for 8 years.  Bama seems to be doing just fine, thank you.  Will hog fans continue to use the motto "wait till next year!" or will they demand a coach that is up to snuff.  Will fans accept the current blame shifting, stubborn, out of his league coach? Losing to Vany at home?  Mismanaging recruiting?  Croniesm on his staff?  .500 winning percentage in the SEC?  A .000 against Georgia, Florida and vandy? 

Or will they demand to get a coach that can manage the tasks that a head coach must in order to win?  One that will get quality assistants?  One that will bring accountability back?  One that won't let our top talent go out of state?  One that can WIN?

artyhog

As I have said many times, if at the end of the regular season and the Hogs have a losing season, then a change might be in the offing.

There are 6 regular season games remaining.  Let's see how it plays out.

TulsaHawg

Turnberry, you appear to be an intelligent person.  I wonder why you resort so often to namecalling?  Surely you can find ways to disagree with people's opinions without hurling insults. 

Why do you do that?

HaWg 10

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

HaWg 10

Quote from: artyhog on October 12, 2005, 10:11:51 am
As I have said many times, if at the end of the regular season and the Hogs have a losing season, then a change might be in the offing.

There are 6 regular season games remaining. Let's see how it plays out.

if we lose this weekend it is going to be mighty tough to get the 6 wins we need for a bowl.. much less finish with a winning record.. but i do understand your point.

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

JD Hogg

I assume you're referring to my "nuttsuckers" term.  I'm sorry that I didn't further explain what the term meant.  You obviously have your mind on something entirely different than what I'm talking about.  If you are always thinking such thoughts, then.....

The term "nuttsucker" refers to those good Razorback fans that have been "suckered" by nutt into thinking the best we can ever hope for is whatever he happens to produce with his team on the field.  They have been "suckered" by the excuse fest that spews out of his mouth.  That is what a "nuttsucker" is.  It is not a derogatory term, but one of sympathy.  I only hope that the veil will be lifted from the "nuttsuckers" eyes. 

Perhaps you should look at yourself and determine why you may have been thinking of something else. 

riverhog

corndo

At first, I thought it was another of his ridiculously stupid April Fool's day columns, then to my horror and angst, I remembered that it wasn't even April.

Ramble on Barbershop

damn swino that post is the darn i was laughin thru most of it hats off to you
member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

artyhog

Quote from: JD Hogg on October 12, 2005, 10:41:46 am

I assume you're referring to my "nuttsuckers" term. I'm sorry that I didn't further explain what the term meant. You obviously have your mind on something entirely different than what I'm talking about. If you are always thinking such thoughts, then.....

The term "nuttsucker" refers to those good Razorback fans that have been "suckered" by nutt into thinking the best we can ever hope for is whatever he happens to produce with his team on the field. They have been "suckered" by the excuse fest that spews out of his mouth. That is what a "nuttsucker" is. It is not a derogatory term, but one of sympathy. I only hope that the veil will be lifted from the "nuttsuckers" eyes.

Perhaps you should look at yourself and determine why you may have been thinking of something else.

No hidden agenda for me.  Been married to the same pretty little lady for 33 years.  Married well above my head.

It just gets so tiresome with Nutt bashing, my stats are better than your stats, who will/could/should be the next coach.

The Hogs have 6  regular season games remaining.  Hopefully they can win enough to go to a bowl.  Then, if there is not a big improvement, maybe a change is needed.  It is all moot.  Frank said Nutt had 2 years and that is what he will have.  I sure that Frank talked to the "Money" folks before he came out with that statement.

The comments from many posters are as predictable as Nutt's playcalling. 

Buff

You saved me a bunch of typing time with your post Swino.  Great job. 

The "investigation" - didn't Alabama undergo an investigation too?  Seems so.  Why are they in the top 10 now?  Not exactly a bash on Nutt, but can someone explain this?  Sure, we came within a few plays of possibly beating them, but the record books say we lost.

riccoar

I say support the Hogs no matter what.  Not saying the bashers don't because I believe they support the team not Nutt.  But it is obvious that after the USC and Vandy letdowns with JFB not pulling the trigger and publicly saying Nutt will be here next year that the bemoaning and complaining is getting us nothing but a whole in the stomach.  I just realize that unless the UA contributors whose yearly contributions are in the six figure mark suddenly tell Broyles that a check ain't coming unless Nutt is gone at the end of the season, there won't be a change. 

For those of who care to vent here is Wally's email:  whall@arkansasonline.com

Per his earlier columns be respectful in your passion if you expect a response.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on October 12, 2005, 09:31:24 am
When does the "investigation" stop being an excuse for us losing?  Wally said that this was the 2nd year of the 2 year down period that we were warned about.  Can we begin to judge Nutt on his record beginning next year?  I just want to know when.  I think its a BS excuse and the investigation has no bearing on the fact that Nutt decided to bench Felix and Darren for the Vandy game.  He went away from the run when we needed to have extended drives that ran down the clock and kept Cutler off the field.  We needed to run then and didn't.  We were out rushed by Wake Forest's backup RB.  Not covering Alabama's receiver had nothing to do with the investigation.  They scored an easy TD to put the game out of reach.  Against ULM, when we had an opportunity to work on our passing game against a team that we could easily beat, we didn't take advantage of it, and ULM's placeholder had a TD pass completion that was longer than all but one of our QB's completions all year. (not counting screen passes)  These are not errors that can be explained by the investigation.  These are problems that result from decisions made by coaches.  Other than the Alabama touchdown, they are overall strategy errors, not one play busts.  I just want to know, directly, how the investigation resulted in these mistakes, and when we can expect to stop hearing this excuse for bad decisions in the future.

To say the investigation did not adversely affect our recruiting is naive.  Of course it was used against us by other schools in the recruiting battles. 

The investigation obviously did not effect the decisions made by the coaches in games this year. I realize that you were probably asking that rhetorically.

Of course we should have scored more points against Vandy.  That said however, 24 points should have been enough to win against the 'Dores.  Our D did not keep them from scoring in the 4th quarter.

Not sure what to make of your reference to the Wake Forrest RB.

I agree with your position that we should have utilized the opportunity against ULM to work more on our passing game. Of course, I thought we should have done that against Mo State as well.