Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is RoJo a runner or a passer?

Started by NYC Hog, August 19, 2005, 12:23:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NYC Hog

I guess I'm just wondering what to expect. Is this a guy who will hang tight in the pocket and let his receivers get open or will he be looking to tuck it and run? I can't seem to get a good read on this. I know he was a highly recruited "dual threat" guy...but bottom line: do you think RJ's passing ability will allow us to open things up like the Stoerner era?
Thanks guys.
Oh, and woo pig.
"Rock n' roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies."
--Drive By Truckers

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: NYC Hog on August 19, 2005, 12:23:22 pm
I guess I'm just wondering what to expect. Is this a guy who will hang tight in the pocket and let his receivers get open or will he be looking to tuck it and run? I can't seem to get a good read on this. I know he was a highly recruited "dual threat" guy...but bottom line: do you think RJ's passing ability will allow us to open things up like the Stoerner era?
Thanks guys.
Oh, and woo pig.

He does have legit 4.5 speed.  (Played WR/CB in Texas All-Star Game)  But once he plants that backfoot to pass it can be a beautiful thing
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogInMemphis

Neither. Right now, he is a groin pull standing on the sidelines watching Mortensen quarterback the team.

Tomhog™

August 19, 2005, 12:57:34 pm #3 Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 12:59:08 pm by Tomcat
I'd say a passer, unless MJ rubbed off on him...  With the backs and receivers we have, plus a 'salty' line, he won't HAVE to do as much running...

NYC Hog

ya know what, HogInMemphis...suck it.
i asked a legitimate question in hopes of getting a legitimate answer.
i got one...and then i got you doing your oh so very tired song and dance about the doom of gloom of the Hogs.
go hijack another thread andn in the meantime....suck a tail pipe.
"Rock n' roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies."
--Drive By Truckers

The_Bionic_Pig

August 19, 2005, 01:05:19 pm #5 Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:15:01 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: NYC Hog on August 19, 2005, 12:59:50 pm
i got one...and then i got you doing your oh so very tired song and dance about the doom of gloom of the Hogs.

SUCK IT -> ahhh..the good ole dayz of wrestling...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Q. Is this a guy who will hang tight in the pocket and let his receivers get open or will he be looking to tuck it and run?
A. Yes.

Q. do you think RJ's passing ability will allow us to open things up like the Stoerner era?
A. No.
[CENSORED]!

BigSnout

He is a dual threat QB.  He can do it all.   ;D

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HogInMemphis

Quote from: NYC Hog on August 19, 2005, 12:59:50 pm

I gave you a factual answer. He's on the sidelines, as in "not dressed for practice". Thus, he's neither a runner nor a passer. I don't know why you want to interpret my reply as negative. Just let it go. You didn't need to see your words in print again that badly, did you?

Amityvillehogger

NYC Hog, Don't bother man, your barking up a tree that many have barked up.  If you don't pay attention to HogInMemphis' words, he will go cry in the corner, but if you let him know he got to you, then he gets a stiffy and the word battle will be on.  Just don't pay attention to him, let him get his 2 cents of BS into the topic and let him feel better about hiself, then let him go back to the bushes.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

akp4105

well if rojo cant pass it this year..we'll have a passing game in the very near future

bigred7987

I think Johnson will think pass first but will run if he sees it...he wont be like Jones who decided to run before he snapped the ball.  The times I have seen him he looked capable of getting the job done

Biggus Piggus

I think he will pass it some, but we're not going to see numbers like Stoerner's junior year, I don't think.  One, we have a lot better running game now, loads better.  Two, I don't believe Johnson will be any better at making pass decisions than Stoerner was in his sophomore year.  Three, our schedule's tougher than it was in 1998.  Four, Stoerner got a lot of attempts and went for big plays rather than a lot of completions.  I expect RJ will be hemmed in to lower-risk stuff.  The part we really need is the ability to burn defenses for gambling, and that takes quick reactions, and I don't see it happening yet.  Ought to be some really pretty play-action stuff possible, though.  If we don't average close to 5 yards a carry this season, I'll be disappointed.
[CENSORED]!

lunchbox72703

i think RoJo will be more of a pocket passer.  I remember some games last year that he was in on and the pocket broke down.  He basically had open field ahead, but he seemed tentative, almost uncomfortable, with taking off and scrambling.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on August 19, 2005, 03:03:09 pm
i think RoJo will be more of a pocket passer. I remember some games last year that he was in on and the pocket broke down. He basically had open field ahead, but he seemed tentative, almost uncomfortable, with taking off and scrambling.

He ran well when he did run last year.  He was not brought up as a pocket passer, don't know why it would be natural to him now.  Besides, I don't have much faith in our pocket.
[CENSORED]!

HornetHog

He is a running passer...which is OK if you are Matt Jones.    Mark my word...if he holds onto the ball more than two seconds after reaching his 5th step on a 5 step drop pass play....it will not be a passing threat offense.

Mark it down.

HH
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

A Boy Named Sue E.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HornetHog

Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

xkyrie

HornetHog

Tomhog™

If RJ is not a passer, then we need to put AM or CB, whoever is the best one.  QB running should not be a frequent option with all the good backs and receivers we should have this year

Biggus Piggus

As far as anybody can tell, RJ is not a runner and not a passer, he's a quarterback in an incomplete state of development, and we really don't know where he will end up.
[CENSORED]!

lunchbox72703

he'll probably end up on the bench midway into the season LOL

Boarcephus

When Nutt recruits qb's he reminds me of my wife at a chinese buffet.   He doesn't know if he wants a pure drop back passer (MM), a run/pass threat (RJ), or just a gritty, lets get it done like Barthel.  A couple years ago he was in this "we need a qb with escapibility" and thus he recruited Johson.  Next he wanted a heady passer so he takes Mortinson. 

I think Johnson will surprise some this year and I base part of that belief on what his high school coach said about him when he decided on us.  He's a pretty heady qb with mobility who throws a decent ball. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PerryHog

He's got a strong arm, and some real speed, though I haven't seen much shake and bake potential. Looked good throwing, at least trying to find receivers the few times I've seen him play. Of course against Georgia, he was overwhelmed by the rush, but not many inexperienced qbs wouldn't have been in that situation.
I think the oline, running game, and Wittke will determine just how well this year's qbs do. If the running game is so good the defense has to cheat to stop it, that gives Rojo a better chance to make plays. If the line can give a solid amount of time on obvious passing downs, that will give him a good chance too. If Wittke can teach him to quickly go thru his reads and make good decisions, we're set.

tulsahog36

What type of QB is Johnson?  He is going to be great at holding the clip board and getting Mortenson some water during timeouts.   His 4.5 speed will ensure the starting QB, Mortenson, never goes thristy.    He will be benched by the Alabama game.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 20, 2005, 07:03:33 am
When Nutt recruits qb's he reminds me of my wife at a chinese buffet.   He doesn't know if he wants a pure drop back passer (MM), a run/pass threat (RJ), or just a gritty, lets get it done like Barthel.  A couple years ago he was in this "we need a qb with escapibility" and thus he recruited Johson.  Next he wanted a heady passer so he takes Mortinson. 

I think Johnson will surprise some this year and I base part of that belief on what his high school coach said about him when he decided on us.  He's a pretty heady qb with mobility who throws a decent ball. 

So you're relying on what Johnson's HS coach said 3 years ago to predict what Johnson will do in the SEC? I commend you on your ability to rationalize.

I have no idea what Johnson will do as QB since he hasn't played more than a series at a time EVER since being a Hog. He could be the next Peanut Adams for all I know. Or he could be a cross breed of Brad Taylor and Ron Calcagni for all I know. Let's see what he does against a directional school in first game, against the worst team in the SEC in the 2nd game and against the best team in the country in the 3rd game. I am certain that by the end of the 3rd game, any Hog fan will be able to easily predict the rest of the season for the team as well as what Johnson's potential and abilities are or are not.

Lanny

I hear Johnson's injury is the reason he is on the sidelines.  Mortensen will see most of the practice next week.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy