Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis DID NOT CHOKE

Started by hogsanity, April 08, 2008, 09:20:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Choking is when you suddenly can not do something that you usually do very well.  Memphis, under crapilari, has never shot FT's well, especially in close games.  All they did was do what they usually do.  That is not choking.  It is a result of playing in a weak sister league, where you can get away with shooting 40% from the FT line, and still win by 15 points. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

booogaga

call it what you want. they lost. like loosers. i loved it.
GO HOGS!

StoernerJonesFan

hogsanity

Quote from: booogaga on April 08, 2008, 09:29:15 am
call it what you want. they lost. like loosers. i loved it.

Oh I loved it too.  I just dont like for people to act like it was a choke job.  It was Memphis being Memphis.  The analysts said, all season, that FT would be Memphis' downfall.  Crapilari acted like it was no big deal.  IT cost them against TN, and it cost them a NATIONAL TITLE. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

booogaga

GO HOGS!

HogNuttz

How many pressure free throws did they shoot this year, or did they shoot any?  Maybe a couple against Tenn over a month ago?

Gotta love CUSA

Bet my bottom dollar they would have been one of if not the best team in the SEC this year, but they damn sure would have had to shoot some free throws that meant something.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

booogaga

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2008, 09:31:24 am
Oh I loved it too.  I just dont like for people to act like it was a choke job.  It was Memphis being Memphis.  The analysts said, all season, that FT would be Memphis' downfall.  Crapilari acted like it was no big deal.  IT cost them against TN, and it cost them a NATIONAL TITLE. 
i see your point. but they have been shooting from the line a lot better in the tournament i think. (somewhere around 70 percent correct me if i am wrong please) and when you are able to put the game into a two possession game TWICE and fail to do so each time. thats pretty bad. you can easily say the guys nerves got to him and he missed all of them. (or did he make one?) anyway, i can see how you can say they chocked. but to their credit , when that guy made the 3 to go to overtime everyone knew it was over. there was no way that mempiss was going to get any momentum back after that. they knew they had it won. therefore you can say they (in there minds) chocked. it was all but won for them.
GO HOGS!

hawgwild child

They were shooting 71% in the tournament...Chris douglas roberts was also 4-4 before he missed the two shots that set up the tie

hawgwild child

Quote from: booogaga on April 08, 2008, 09:35:10 am
i see your point. but they have been shooting from the line a lot better in the tournament i think. (somewhere around 70 percent correct me if i am wrong please) and when you are able to put the game into a two possession game TWICE and fail to do so each time. thats pretty bad. you can easily say the guys nerves got to him and he missed all of them. (or did he make one?) anyway, i can see how you can say they chocked. but to their credit , when that guy made the 3 to go to overtime everyone knew it was over. there was no way that mempiss was going to get any momentum back after that. they knew they had it won. therefore you can say they (in there minds) chocked. it was all but won for them.
Exactly

hogsanity

Quote from: booogaga on April 08, 2008, 09:35:10 am
Quote from: hawgwild child on April 08, 2008, 09:36:07 am
They were shooting 71% in the tournament...Chris douglas roberts was also 4-4 before he missed the two shots that set up the tie

Even poor shooting teams have good stretches.  Also, look at the other close game Memphis played in the NCAAT.  Miss St had a shot to tie at the buzzer because Memphis kept missing Ft's.   This team is a bad FT shooting team, period.  The season stats show that.

hawgwild child

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2008, 09:40:37 am
Even poor shooting teams have good stretches.  Also, look at the other close game Memphis played in the NCAAT.  Miss St had a shot to tie at the buzzer because Memphis kept missing Ft's.   This team is a bad FT shooting team, period.  The season stats show that.
Call it how u want it...but memphis was up by 3 and CDR went to shoot the 1-1 and missed after being 4-4, (4-5 now)...then kansas missed a wild shot and fouled CDR again, at that point memphis was shooting the bonus and CDR missed both free throws (4-7 now)...so u can easily see why people think that memphis chocked...U cant sit here and tell everyone that CDR wasnt nervous shooting them

HogBaptist

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2008, 09:20:34 am
Choking is when you suddenly can not do something that you usually do very well.  Memphis, under crapilari, has never shot FT's well, especially in close games.  All they did was do what they usually do.  That is not choking.  It is a result of playing in a weak sister league, where you can get away with shooting 40% from the FT line, and still win by 15 points. 

wrong.  they were shooting 70% from the line the whole tourney.  When the game came down to making free throws, they couldn't do it. 

to say whether or not they choked based on definition is a judgement call

Choked:  To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest:

Yes, that is the actual definition.  Your definition is wrong.

RedSatinHog

When it's inside of 2 minutes to go and you're up 9 points but somehow find a way to lose, it's a choke, regardless of whether you are 90%+ or sub 20% from the charity stripe.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Mick Hogger

Maybe Cala-smarmy can start thinking more about them during the offseason more than he has in the past?

If you are a Div-1 player, you practice free throws over and over. Period.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hogsanity

IMO, I just dont see why anyone is surprised it happened.  They missed against Miss St and almost blew a huge lead.  Then, last night, they just did what they had done all year, missed Ft's.  Only difference last night was they were playing a very good team.  You can miss Ft's against So Miss and Houston. 

SquirrelMasterFunk

THEY CHOKED!!

No other way to look at it.

They were up nine, under three minutes, and LOST.

That is choking.

Blowing a lead late is choking.

GOD, I loved it.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

Lanny

You're wrong.

Memphis choked blowing a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left in the game.  Choke  .....cough cough
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Throwback1

When you are one of the two best teams in the nation and up by 9 with 2:12 left and lose, that is the very definition of a choke...pathetic...they had been hitting their free throws since the tourney  began, but let their old nemisis come back to haunt them when they could lead afford it...worst CHOKE I can remember in a long, long time.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

ConwayHog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2008, 09:51:03 am
IMO, I just dont see why anyone is surprised it happened.  They missed against Miss St and almost blew a huge lead.  Then, last night, they just did what they had done all year, missed Ft's.  Only difference last night was they were playing a very good team.  You can miss Ft's against So Miss and Houston. 

Sanity...I see your point here but I think you may be confusing the surprise (or lack thereof) aspect of the free throw shooting with choking.  You're not surprised it happened.  As you correctly pointed out, the analysts have been saying that for some time.  Thus, in your mind, they didn't choke because it was expected?

I still believe they choked.  I don't think expectations determine whether or not a team failed to execute in a pressure situation. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on April 08, 2008, 10:03:56 am
Sanity...I see your point here but I think you may be confusing the surprise (or lack thereof) aspect of the free throw shooting with choking.  You're not surprised it happened.  As you correctly pointed out, the analysts have been saying that for some time.  Thus, in your mind, they didn't choke because it was expected?

I still believe they choked.  I don't think expectations determine whether or not a team failed to execute in a pressure situation. 

My tought on it is that they only did what they had been doing all season.  IS it choking if you do something you normally do?  In the end, call it what you want, I was glad it happened.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 08, 2008, 09:47:12 am
When it's inside of 2 minutes to go and you're up 9 points but somehow find a way to lose, it's a choke, regardless of whether you are 90%+ or sub 20% from the charity stripe.

I would have to agree.  Yes free throws have been a problem for them all year, but the were up 9 with 2:00 to play.  Dumb turnovers and not defending the three point shot cost them.  It was a Phil Mickelson type choke, but it was a small one for sure.
Let's make some waves.

Beaverfever

Memphis choked big time.  It was a legendary choke job. 

ColonelNutt

April 08, 2008, 10:24:44 am #22 Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:27:05 am by ColonelNutt
3 big reasons why they lost:

1)  When they had the ball on a fast break up by 3 or so with about 1 min left but they do not milk the clock.  Instead, they try to score on the fast break and the guy gets fouled and misses both free throws. 

2)  CDR misses the front end of a one and one, then on the next possession REFUSES to give up the ball so he can be the one that has to shoot the free throws.  He misses both.

3)  Refusing to foul Kansas when they were down by 3 with 10 seconds left as they crossed mid-court.  They were out of timeouts and had to run all the way down the floor.  If you put them on the line there, you win the game because you're up by 3.

Yes, it was a choke.  They found a way to lose the game when they had it won if only they played smarter.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hSv on April 08, 2008, 10:01:40 am
You're wrong.

Memphis choked blowing a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left in the game.  Choke  .....cough cough

Thank you.  I turned the channel to check out something on one of the news networks when they went to the break, and when I switched the channel back to the game, Memphis was only up 4 points and about 10 seconds had been miled off the clock.  I'm like, WTH?

Then what?  5 straight missed FT's?  That is a choke, my friends.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

SpareRib

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 08, 2008, 10:33:24 am
The better team won.

That's all there is.  In the final minutes, Memphis didn't do it, Kansas did.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

HoundHog

I remember how horrible I felt in 95 when the hogs choked against Ky. in the SEC championship game. I think we blew a 9 point lead with 1 min. to play. I can't imagine how bad it would feel to do that in the nat. championship game.

Throwback1

Kansas deserved it, Memphis didn't....simple...Congrats to the Jayhawks, National Champions!  I hate it, but it is what it is.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: hawgwild child on April 08, 2008, 09:36:07 am
When they counted most, he CHOKED! Sorry, but that is the operative word. Not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, but I'm not a major college basketball player hoping to play in the NBA. Better learn how to make those or he'll be hangin' on Florida Street with his buddies instead of in the Hyatt.

31to6

I think they flinched. Calipari over-coached his team and tried to box the last couple of minutes when his team is full of punchers. They were not mentally prepared to suddenly become as tactical as he tried to make them. If they had called no timeouts to "set plays" and do "defense/offense subs" in the last two minutes they might have had a better chance of winning. Bill Self and Kansas won *every* timeout at the end of the game because they used them better than Memphis.

311Hog

missing those ft's was a choke job sorry.

rcowen

Blowing that lead with 2 minutes left is choking, no other way of looking at it.

hogsanity

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 08, 2008, 10:24:44 am

1)  When they had the ball on a fast break up by 3 or so with about 1 min left but they do not milk the clock.  Instead, they try to score on the fast break and the guy gets fouled and misses both free throws. 

2)  CDR misses the front end of a one and one, then on the next possession REFUSES to give up the ball so he can be the one that has to shoot the free throws.  He misses both.

3)  Refusing to foul Kansas when they were down by 3 with 10 seconds left as they crossed mid-court.  They were out of timeouts and had to run all the way down the floor.  If you put them on the line there, you win the game because you're up by 3.

Yes, it was a choke.  They found a way to lose the game when they had it won if only they played smarter.

Those things just sound like stupid ( in basketball IQ anyway) players. 

Pigonometry

If that was not a choke, then I'm not sure what is.............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

IronHog

Free Throws!

If you cannot shoot them, YOU CHOKE!

Most of these guys are D1 players because the modern game has allowed those with the most athletic ability take over the game at the expense of those players who put the time in to hone overall basketball skill. 

Modern college basketball is rapidly turning into a travel, foul, and dunk fest.  The game would be better if they followed the rules.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

SteveInArk

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 08, 2008, 10:24:44 am
Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2008, 12:19:23 pm
Those things just sound like stupid ( in basketball IQ anyway) players. 

I think the players were in shock.  I think those things sound more like a "stupid coach", who let two time-outs go to waste instead of talking over things and letting his players "know" what to do next. They are still young men, more maturing under stress to go.

Right after the game, Calipari stated that he lost the game.  Doubt he meant it since he gave more weight to the ref'ing excuse.  However, I think "today" he does know he "lost" the game for Memphis' part.  Coinciding with great effort to "win" it with great play - for Kansas' part.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

dougieritch

CHOKE!!!   :puke:

NuttinItUp

I love how we are debating if they choked or if they just sucked. What a great outcome.

Newcoachplease

1/5 with less than a minute left is choking

Hogginitall

They most certainly choked, it just wasn't ONLY due to poor free throw shooting.  They choked in many different ways...

Hogginitall

I'd say that losing a 9 point lead, with 2:12 remaining, is choking.  But, that's just me.

Razorback88

Memphis in the first 38:45 of the game: 9-12 from the FT line.
Memphis in the final 1:15 of regulation: 1-5 from the FT line.

CDR was 6-9 from the line for the game.  This is including his 0-3 in the final 1:15.

Memphis was leading 60-51 with 1:58 left in regulation.

The facts say they choked.

3kgthog

Shoot FTs much better during the entire tournament until the pressure was on and then they couldn't make one to save their lives = chokejob.

Throwing the ball right to a KU player who then passes for a wide open three = chokejob.

Blowing a 9 pt lead with less than 2 minutes remaining with a national championship in your grasp = chokejob.

Kansas having one of their worst 3-pt shooting efforts of the season and Memphis still losing = chokejob.

THEY CHOKED!

Biggus Piggus

Their best free throw shooter started missing.  Choke.
[CENSORED]!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 08, 2008, 04:02:28 pm
Their best free throw shooter started missing.  Choke.
Also, they are usually good at winning games. (especially when up by 9 with slightly more than 2 minutes left)

hoglady

Douglas-Roberts and Rose's free throw percentages for the year are both over 70%.
They are not the bad free throw shooters on that Memphis team.
They couldn't make them when it counted under the pressure of the National Championship game = Choke.
Bad decision taking it to the basket instead of running clock, bad foul putting Kansas on the line and bad turn over on the inbounds pass when up by 9 -all contributing factors.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Throwback1

valid point...even nullifies the "bad FT shooting team" argument....those 2 weren't....even a bigger choke than I thought....two guys at 70% shooting 20%?...unbelievable

DMacIsASaint

Yes they pretty much choked and yes the free throws were their downfall, but do yall not understand why calipari said time and time again free throws arent a big deal? Whats he suppose to say, yes this a huge problem and get in his own players heads? free throws have such a mental aspect to them, and saying time and time again they werent a big deal was the thing to do. He was one Derrick Rose free throw from proving everyone wrong.

DMacIsASaint

Plus the fact they are not as bad a free throwing shooting team as people say. Joey Dorsey is so awful at free throws that he brings the free throw average down A LOT