Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone agree that Jacob Hester is a better FB than Peyton Hillis?

Started by CowHog, April 07, 2008, 11:51:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardhog

Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

ferrellhog

Quit it with the homer mentality guys hester is a hoss in the truest extent of the word.I love peyton and i think hge will have a good NFL carrer but Hester put up massive numbers .

moondog

Hester is a better runner and all-around athlete. Hillis can't stick the ball up the middle and break tackles (i.e. Vanderbilt in 2005, 4 straight attempts right up the gut, no points).

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 07, 2008, 12:11:09 pm
If you want a FB who is fast, can run, block, and catch you go Hillis.

If you want a FB who caught McFadden from dead on behind you go with Hester.

hogansas

Hester didn't do the things he did at LSU because he was the best athlete.  He did the things he did at LSU because he had 10 times the heart of the rest of that team combined.  I believe that Hillis had that heart his freshman year, but it was stomped on with the emergence of McFadden and Jones when the offense became more one dimensional than it was before he arrived.  Hillis has better size and speed with more versatility. 
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: Richard_white on April 07, 2008, 11:53:46 am
I see nothing wrong with this.

Hester was a better runner and brusier than Hillis.  The only upside Hillis has over Hester, is his ability to catch the football.

Also, his ability to return punts...

and his ability to blow up linebackers

LSPRazorbac

Hillis no doubt!

Hester had 97 yards of offense more than Hillis, but also had 108 more offensive touches.

Hillis averaged 6.7 yards per touch compared to Hester's 5.3 yards per touch.

Hester had more yards solely because LSU's offense focused more on him; whereas Hillis was the third running back in an offense that focused on Jones and McFadden. 

Also, Hillis is bigger (2" taller and about 15 pounds heavier), faster, a better blocker, and better reciever than Hester!

LSPRazorbac

Thislittle piggie,

When did Hester catch McFadden from behind?

And Hillis is faster than Hester!

Cletus

April 07, 2008, 10:34:08 pm #59 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:52:00 pm by The_Right_Reverend_Hawg
As for rushing YPC, How many times did you see Hillis line up as the lone back on 4th and short after sitting out or out as a receiver/H-Back for the last 2 plays? Gee, I wonder who's gettin' the handoff? >:( :'( :puke:

That's not a good situation for the ol' average.
See, what had happened was........

NWAREDBUG

I'll go with Hillis in the NFL, like the way he blocks and his catching out of the backfield.

Dugann

no way in hell....if payton had the chance to carry the ball as much as hester he'd been a god.  also if payton had the chance to get the most carries on team he'd been a 1K rusher serval years in a roll.  hester don't got crap on hillis.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Cletus

Quote from: Dugann on April 07, 2008, 10:51:34 pm
no way in hell....if payton had the chance to carry the ball as much as hester he'd been a god.  also if payton had the chance to get the most carries on team he'd been a 1K rusher serval years in a roll.  hester don't got crap on hillis.

Mmmm-Hmmm, preach it. Hester was in the backfield almost every down LSU played.
See, what had happened was........

Hogginitall

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on April 07, 2008, 09:47:59 pm
If you want a FB who caught McFadden from dead on behind you go with Hester.

I think you might be a bit confused.   

mlloyd4

Hillis has a slight edge in all purpose ability, but Hester is good as well.  I don't think you lose either way in the draft, as long as you pick one.
WPS

PCHogs

My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

SwinedMelon

yes- Hester "brought it" every game I watched of him... Hillis took some games off.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

drivetimeporks

Quote from: hamsam on April 07, 2008, 07:28:33 pm
just did that. Hillis broke a 65 yard run again! you thinkk LSU would have figured out how to stop that by now. Hester still hasn't done much!
Are you sure you are a Hog fan? We may be "freakin homers" but at least we ain't freakin' JERKS!
panocha!!

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on April 07, 2008, 10:27:03 pm
Thislittle piggie,

When did Hester catch McFadden from behind?

And Hillis is faster than Hester!

You are correct. I don't know what the heck I was thinking about. It wasn't McFadden that Hester ran down from behind. It was some speedy bama DB that picked off a pass against LSU and Hester flew across the field and then caught the guy from behind on the sideline. My mistake guys. Brain fart. But that play was sheer determination on Hester's part.

Sorry about that.

By the way, It was Hester who hit DMac on the first KO return that jarred the ball lose and set up LSU first TD.

LR Hog

Like a boss.

Bama Hog™

I will take Hillis over Hester in the NFL. On the college field, I would take either.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

hamsam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

disGUSted

Only if you were blind, ignorant, or owe Hester serious money!  :razorback:

Bohawg

give me Hillis. If he would have been featured like Hester he would have posted great numbers.  Hester is salty also.

mj4president

Quote from: SwineOnUCrazyDiamond on April 08, 2008, 11:38:21 am
yes- Hester "brought it" every game I watched of him... Hillis took some games off.

What games did he take off? It was clear in 2006 what happens when he wasn't in the game. That is a flat out joke of a statement. Just b/c Gary Danielson says Hester is the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't mean that he is. I wouldn't draft Hester in any of the rounds.

Who wants a slow,undersized, can't block player like Hester as a FB in the NFL? Nobody does.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

El Puerco

Hester was an extremely dependable, great college back.  Hillis is probably a better fit for the pros though.

flagstaffhog

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on April 07, 2008, 10:23:23 pm
Hillis no doubt!

Hester had 97 yards of offense more than Hillis, but also had 108 more offensive touches.

Hillis averaged 6.7 yards per touch compared to Hester's 5.3 yards per touch.

Hester had more yards solely because LSU's offense focused more on him; whereas Hillis was the third running back in an offense that focused on Jones and McFadden. 

Also, Hillis is bigger (2" taller and about 15 pounds heavier), faster, a better blocker, and better reciever than Hester!

The 1st two lines of the above quote tells you all that you need to know.....
Go HOGS Go!

JShipCPA

Petrinos Pigs

Hog Born and Hog Breed

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

UCARazorback

Quote from: theProdigy on April 07, 2008, 05:27:07 pm

FB's aren't bruisers in the NFL.  Look at Chris Cooley. 

Except Cooley isn't a FB.  Might explain why he is not a "bruiser".

Peyton is more of a hybrid FB.  I'd rather have that than just a blocker or just a runner.  But hey let him fall, I'd be happy if he fell into Green Bay's lap.  He fits there perfectly.

irishman

I see Hillis as a H-back style full back who can line up behind and outside the tightend for recieving. He's the better blocker of the two but I can't see how Hillis could be considered the better runner of the two. I still see him as the better Fb in the NFL simply because his skillset is used more often than that of a "running" fullback

HognotinMemphis

At some point, intelligence and maturity matters. Hester's IQ is close to double that of Hillis' and Hester's judgement is leaps and bounds better than Hillis' - Hester is married and Hillis has more than 1 illegit.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jkstock04

OK, I'll step up and take off the kool-aid blinders....Comparing them both from memory, they're obviously both very good.  But it seems to me Hester can probably run the ball and see the hole a little better than Peyton.  If we're talking about blocking I'd say Hillis is the better one. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 07, 2008, 12:11:09 pm
It depends. If you want a FB who is fast, can run, block, and catch you go Hillis.

If you want a his overrated because he was on a two loss national champion team you go Hester.

exactly

Hillis = Bigger, stronger, faster and a better receiver out of the backfield     

Buried in depth chart.

flynhog

If Hillis had 4 years running behind the O line from LSU, like Hester had, this thread would never had been started.  Hillis is much better overall.  His freshman year he scored the first touchdown of the season.  Since then he played 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Felix and Darren. Im hopeful he can have a good career carrying the ball on Sundays.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

jsdaugh

Well, they are both different players.   One Peyton has had injury problems that has kept him out of several games, where Hester has been relatively healthy most of the time.    Hester was also benefiting from the explosive offensive line that LSU has, why the hogs line is not as good.     I believe that both hester and hillis will be good NFL players, but I don't look for hester to be a FB in the NFL, he will probably be either a running back or they will switch him to safety.   Peyton if he stays healthy will be a good blocking and recieveing fullback in the NFL.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: jsdaugh on April 10, 2008, 09:21:39 am
Well, they are both different players.   One Peyton has had injury problems that has kept him out of several games, where Hester has been relatively healthy most of the time.    Hester was also benefiting from the explosive offensive line that LSU has, why the hogs line is not as good.     I believe that both hester and hillis will be good NFL players, but I don't look for hester to be a FB in the NFL, he will probably be either a running back or they will switch him to safety.   Peyton if he stays healthy will be a good blocking and recieveing fullback in the NFL.

You know this may be debatable, but I think our O line is just as good as LSU's.
Hester benefited from having a decent OC and a balanced offense more than anything.

DubHawg

Quote from: ferrellhog on April 07, 2008, 08:47:56 pm
Quit it with the homer mentality guys hester is a hoss in the truest extent of the word.I love peyton and i think hge will have a good NFL carrer but Hester put up massive numbers .

Quit with the "homer" crap. These are people's opinions and if you don't like them, tough titty. Anyhow, had Hillis been used like Hester we wouldn't have this thread because I don't think there would be a comparison.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

mike32

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on April 10, 2008, 10:01:40 am
You know this may be debatable, but I think our O line is just as good as LSU's.
Hester benefited from having a decent OC and a balanced offense more than anything.

gotlebron23

If I had to pick between the two it would be Hester, although Hillis has the ability to recover for injury faster, Hester is just a better leader, and he clutch.  Hillis had to compete with D-Mac and Jones.

gotlebron23

If I had to pick between the two it would be Hester, although Hillis has the ability to recover for injury faster, Hester is just a better leader, and he clutch.  Hillis had to compete with D-Mac and Jones.

gotlebron23

reddogjcss

Both where great in the offence they played in to bad we didn't get to see them do more. Hester is a great pound it runner & HILLIS has great hands and a great blocker; wish we could have seen both do more!!! But I'm a hawgs so I going with Hillis.

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

Rebel64

What if Hester played here and Hillis played at LSU?  I bet Hester would be the best then.  We can all agree on one thing, Hester has a NC ring and Hillis never even managed to get a bowl victory.

hoggystyle78

If I'm a NFL GM and had to choose between them, I'm taking Hillis. Hester is probably the better runner, although with DMac and Felix getting most of the carries who knows for sure. Hillis is the better blocker and reciever and can get the job done when asked to carry the ball. Hester simply played on a better team. In the NFL the fullback will usually be regulated to blocking while rarely getting the ball. Hillis is more of a prototypical NFL FB, IMO Hester is not.