Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone agree that Jacob Hester is a better FB than Peyton Hillis?

Started by CowHog, April 07, 2008, 11:51:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CowHog

According to this article by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News he says that Hester is a better FB prospect than Hillis?!?!?  Now maybe he is a better RB prospect than Hillis, but I believe that Hillis is by far the best FB prospect in the draft....I mean Hillis may even be a little to small to be a "true" FB and if that is the case than Hester is nothing but a third down back (which is how I feel anyways).   Atleast Harrison is getting some love here though because he has him listed as the 4th best DT in the draft.How do y'all feel about this?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/gosselin_rankings.html

Buff

Richard_white

I see nothing wrong with this.

Hester was a better runner and brusier than Hillis.  The only upside Hillis has over Hester, is his ability to catch the football.

Also, his ability to return punts...

LightHog

drivetimeporks

hester was the #1 weapon on lsu's team.. hillis may have been if he'd  not been in the backfield with jones and mcfadden.. hester's clearly the better FB in the draft

J.A.Y.

There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

It depends. If you want a FB who is fast, can run, block, and catch you go Hillis.

If you want a his overrated because he was on a two loss national champion team you go Hester.

casken

Hillis was (most often) under utilized in a plain vanilla offense.  When he was used...see last LSU game...the issue is quite debatable as to who is best.  If Hester is a better runner, Hillis has the best hands and is an impressive blocker.

WPS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

SquidBilly

Pure FB yes, maybe, but a bigger weapon absolutely not.  Hillis did everything short of playing defense and kicking FGs for us.  Remember two seasons ago when Hillis went down at the end of the year with the deep thigh bruise, I think we wound up losing four straight games without him.   

drivetimeporks

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 07, 2008, 12:11:09 pm
It depends. If you want a FB who is fast, can run, block, and catch you go Hillis.

If you want a his overrated because he was on a two loss national champion team you go Hester.
no.. the team was overrated..hester was a monster..did u  guys even watch lsu play?

JBucc

Read the guidelines for signature images.

hogchic2001

Go HOGS Go!

DeltaBoy

HECK NO  if Hillis was with LSU he would have put up bigger numbers than Hester
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I'll say this in Spanish to iterate my point....NO!

But, Hester is a fine HB prospect, I'll give him that.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

mj4president

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 07, 2008, 12:05:23 pm
hester was the #1 weapon on lsu's team.. hillis may have been if he'd  not been in the backfield with jones and mcfadden.. hester's clearly the better FB in the draft

You have to be out of your mind to make a statement like that. I truly believe that Hillis is twice the FB that Hester is. Hester looks fat. Hillis is a truck that can block in the nfl, run, and catch.

You must be drinking the Gary Danielson kool aid. Hester isn't close to what Hillis is.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: mj4president on April 07, 2008, 01:07:18 pm
You have to be out of your mind to make a statement like that. I truly believe that Hillis is twice the FB that Hester is. Hester looks fat. Hillis is a truck that can block in the nfl, run, and catch.

You must be drinking the Gary Danielson kool aid. Hester isn't close to what Hillis is.
get some game tape and watch amigo

mj4president

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 07, 2008, 12:17:31 pm
no.. the team was overrated..hester was a monster..did u  guys even watch lsu play?

Yes I watched us beat them down and watched Gary Danielson love on hester all night long. He is in love with him

Are you Gary Danielson?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Hogginitall

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 07, 2008, 12:26:39 pm
freakin' homers..*sigh*

Hillis averaged 0.3 yards less per carry (4.7 to 5.0) and averaged 2.1 yards more per reception (9.7 to 7.6) over his career.  Hester ran the ball more than Hillis and Hillis caught the ball more than Hester.  Hillis has shown that he is a better blocker in games.  Hester has been a RB in college, as Hillis would've been if not for McFadden and Jones. 

I'd say Hillis is the better FB right now.  Hester could turn out to be the better of the two, depending on how he improves. 

There is no doubt in my mind, however, that if you put Hillis with LSU, he would've outperformed Hester by quite a bit this year.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 07, 2008, 12:05:23 pm

you sir, are wrong.

Hester was good only because he was consistent (4 yards a play, no fumbles, can catch decently), but he was not LSU's weapon.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

drivetimeporks

im not saying that hester is gonnabe a better back in the nfl..who knows..what  i do know is that in crunch time, hester got the ball, and no on could
stop him... just b/c someone does wear a red uniform on saturday doesnt mean they cant play

cosmodrum

Quote from: casken on April 07, 2008, 12:14:43 pm
Hillis was (most often) under utilized in a plain vanilla offense.  When he was used...see last LSU game...the issue is quite debatable as to who is best.  If Hester is a better runner, Hillis has the best hands and is an impressive blocker.

WPS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

This is why Hillis is the better prospect. Very seldom does a FB take a handoff in the NFL. The are drafted to be an extra blocker and safety valve. Hillis fits the bill perfectly.

Hester will probably get drafted before Hillis, but Hillis will have a better career.

Mark it down, or whatever...
Go away, batin'

wholehog92

I like Hillis' pass blocking and catching and versatility.  I'd take Hester for running ability and a draw on run blocking.  That makes Hillis a better traditional fullback imho.  The issue becomes, not many teams are looking for a traditional fullback anymore.  Hester may well fit into todays schemes better.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

LM RZRBCK 29

Hester is the better true runner hands down. By that i mean better vision and decision making. Hillis has pure athleticism. He's faster, bigger, and can catch the ball as good as many WR's. I see Hester being a third down back only and Hillis can be a mike alstott type fullback. Hester isn't fast enough or strong enough to be a every down tailback or fullback. I would love to have him on my team though. But, Hillis can play H-back, fully, and in third down situations. Is faster, stronger and more atheletic. Hillis hands down the better of the two.
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: L-MO on April 07, 2008, 01:19:46 pm
Hester is the better true runner hands down. By that i mean better vision and decision making. Hillis has pure athleticism. He's faster, bigger, and can catch the ball as good as many WR's. I see Hester being a third down back only and Hillis can be a mike alstott type fullback. Hester isn't fast enough or strong enough to be a every down tailback or fullback. I would love to have him on my team though. But, Hillis can play H-back, fully, and in third down situations. Is faster, stronger and more atheletic. Hillis hands down the better of the two.
dude watch out for the idiots on here that  cant appreciate a v good college back like hester.. jeez

mike7156

Hester     Attempt       yards                           Recept              Yds
Rush        364             1780               Receive     62                  459     total 2239

Hillis
Rush       202               959                Receive     116               1183    total 2142

97 yards total difference.

This is both players carer stats, not specil teams where Hillis has far more yards.Both players had their best year as a senior. I think I would take Hillis as a FB over hester. But I would take Hester as a #3 RB on a team over Hillis.
True Heroes wear the uniform that serves this country proudly.

jpenrod1

I would take Hillis over hester period. Hillis is bigger, just as fast if not faster, stronger, and has better hands. I still dont know why Hester was ever given the ball for LSU. there backups were much better than he was.

ark525

It all depends on team needs.....

If you want the best pure blocking FB, Owen Schmidt is your guy (WV).

If you want the best pure running FB/HB, Jacob Hester is your guy.

Hillis, IMO, is the best do-anything-you-need guy.  He can run if needed, but not as well as Hester.  He can block if needed, but not as good as Schmidt.  He can catch passes out of the back or off the line as well as anyone.  You could line him up at 4 different spots (RB, FB, TE, WR) and get good production depending on your needs.  Heck, you could probably put him in at LB and get production.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: jpenrod1 on April 07, 2008, 01:29:16 pm
I would take Hillis over hester period. Hillis is bigger, just as fast if not faster, stronger, and has better hands. I still dont know why Hester was ever given the ball for LSU. there backups were much better than he was.

hillis ran a 4.56 to hester's 4.6 at the combine
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Sao Ming

Can't go wrong with either IMO.  Two teams will get two game kids and shoud be happy with the pick.

softballguy8

Quote from: CowHog on April 07, 2008, 11:51:06 am
According to this article by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News he says that Hester is a better FB prospect than Hillis?!?!?  Now maybe he is a better RB prospect than Hillis, but I believe that Hillis is by far the best FB prospect in the draft....I mean Hillis may even be a little to small to be a "true" FB and if that is the case than Hester is nothing but a third down back (which is how I feel anyways).   Atleast Harrison is getting some love here though because he has him listed as the 4th best DT in the draft.How do y'all feel about this?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/gosselin_rankings.html

Hillis is definitely better than Hester.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

jgphillips3

Hester played on a better team (they were National Champions after all) but he is not a better player.  He is a fine college football player, but he is not even close to the complete player Hillis is.  If you are going to be a fullback in the pros now you better be able to block and catch the ball because the position is becoming obsolete.  Any team that thinks Hester is better than Hillis probably doesn't finish in the playoffs very often.  I think their speed is comparable and they are both punishing, but Hillis brings a LOT more skill to the table.  Don't get me wrong, if we could have a Hester on our team right now I would take him, but between the two, you have to take Hillis. 

J. McHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 07, 2008, 03:02:52 pm
Hester played on a better team (they were National Champions after all) but he is not a better player.  He is a fine college football player, but he is not even close to the complete player Hillis is.  If you are going to be a fullback in the pros now you better be able to block and catch the ball because the position is becoming obsolete.  Any team that thinks Hester is better than Hillis probably doesn't finish in the playoffs very often.  I think their speed is comparable and they are both punishing, but Hillis brings a LOT more skill to the table.  Don't get me wrong, if we could have a Hester on our team right now I would take him, but between the two, you have to take Hillis. 

Totally agree. Hester did one thing pretty consistently. He produced. He scored when LSU needed it, he got the 1st down when LSU needed it, and so forth. Hillis most assuredly has better hands (passing) and speed, and is built stronger. You cannot deny Hester's ability to get what was needed when it was needed.

Newhopehog

lput Hillis on LSU team last  year and Hester becomes a LB.....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

opineonswine

Quote from: CowHog on April 07, 2008, 11:51:06 am
According to this article by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News he says that Hester is a better FB prospect than Hillis?!?!?  Now maybe he is a better RB prospect than Hillis, but I believe that Hillis is by far the best FB prospect in the draft....I mean Hillis may even be a little to small to be a "true" FB and if that is the case than Hester is nothing but a third down back (which is how I feel anyways).   Atleast Harrison is getting some love here though because he has him listed as the 4th best DT in the draft.How do y'all feel about this?

I agree.

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

colbs

jackflash

I like both and don't know which one is better. As far as NFL looks like FB position is becoming a dying thing.  With many teams using four WR on passing plays. So my feeling is who has the longer career with be who"s the better blocker.

arkjay19

Well he's wrong.  Hillis blocks better, catches better, and is faster than Hester.  Hester might be a bit of a better runner, but I think that only has to do with Hillis's subconscious after his injury in his freshman year.

3kgthog

A FB in the NFL will be a blocker. Hillis is one hell of a blocker. Our season went down the tubes in 2006 after he got injured. Hillis wins this discussion.

PearlHarbor

Hillis is far and away the best fullback. Hester, though he may be labeled a "fullback", is a runningback. And he's really slow for an nfl back, but he was damn good in college, and he may do well as a 3rd down back in the league.

But Hillis will be an every down back.

ckhawgu

They both are very good players. I only wish Hillis would have run between the tackles like Hester did. That guy had no quit in him at all. Not saying Hillis could not carry the load between the tackles, just that I never saw in him the same drive Hester displayed time & time again when running the ball. Could have been the lack of carries Nutt and staff gave him over the years though...

31to6

To echo what others have said, Fullbacks usually are used for blocking (run and augmenting pass protection), outlet passing and short yardage running. Of those I'd say:

Blocking: Both are good blockers but Hillis has the edge. He has proven he can (and is willing to be) the lead blocker down after down for the superstar HB. Watch film of us with him and without him if you doubt.

Receiving: Hillis by a ton. Hester can catch a pass, but Hillis will *always* catch the pass. And when a pro QB checks off down to the FB, he by god wants the pass caught. Hillis is money in the bank.

Short-yardage: Hester. If I *MUST* have 1 yard, I want Hester because he proved down after down that you just can't stop him from getting one yard. But Hillis is better at just about everything else. And frankly, there are probably a any number of HB in the draft that have as much power as Hester but probably better speed.

Therefore I think that Hillis gets the nod, not just because he is better in more areas but because he is better in the areas that are most important to a pro FB.

Now who will get drafted higher? Who can tell.....

hamsam

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 07, 2008, 01:08:27 pm
get some game tape and watch amigo

just did that. Hillis broke a 65 yard run again! you thinkk LSU would have figured out how to stop that by now. Hester still hasn't done much!
Are you sure you are a Hog fan? We may be "freakin homers" but at least we ain't freakin' JERKS!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

hamsam

Quote from: Newhopehog on April 07, 2008, 03:25:49 pm
lput Hillis on LSU team last  year and Hester becomes a LB.....

+1 Hillis is all around a better football player.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008