Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey to Kentucky?

Started by LRCentralTiger, April 03, 2008, 07:22:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRCentralTiger

Wally thinks it will happen if things fall in order.  Read his article this morning in the ArkDamGaz.

Milton

I doubt he will leave this soon, in a few years I wouldn't doubt it
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

Table Rocker

that was an idiotic article that only fuels the unessesary pelphrey to kentucky paranoia. ok st will not get self or gillespie or john wooden, this thought that they are holding the fate of the entire SEC in their hands is ridiculous.

The Boar War

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 03, 2008, 07:46:18 am
that was an idiotic article that only fuels the unessesary pelphrey to kentucky paranoia to sell more papers. ok st will not get self or gillespie or john wooden, this thought that they are holding the fate of the entire SEC in their hands is ridiculous.

They used to call it yellow journalism.

Beaverfever

I don't pelphrey would leave right now...maybe I am being naiive but I really think he feels obligated to turn our program around.  It seems to be his passion.  Now in a few years when we are back to national prominence I might could see it.  But it would just seem against his character to want to bail now.

claytongray

Wally also had columns giving reasons why the SEC would get three teams in the tourney and why Xavier would give UCLA all they could handle.

Special Delivery Jones

Not real sure we could know his character at all.  I am sure after 1 season a lot of people would have hit your straight in the mouth to have question Houston's character.  If the deam job comes available you have to take it when it is there.  There usually is no tomorrow for those jobs.  If he were to leave to go back home and it is his dream job then so be it, and that is no reflection at all on his character.

HeathWimp

Quick, tell me - who is Sean Sudden?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Beaverfever

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on April 03, 2008, 08:09:15 am
Not real sure we could know his character at all.  I am sure after 1 season a lot of people would have hit your straight in the mouth to have question Houston's character.  If the deam job comes available you have to take it when it is there.  There usually is no tomorrow for those jobs.  If he were to leave to go back home and it is his dream job then so be it, and that is no reflection at all on his character.
I think leaving after one year at any job is a reflection of your character.  But I see your point.

Special Delivery Jones

Sometimes people don't have a choice in things.  Hard to know the future at those times.  Not like anyone hiring him did not understand that he might be interested in the UK job at some point.  I am guessing that came up in conversation during the interviews.  Character is doing the right thing at the right time for the right people.

Tripod1

Home and money are both a powerful draw.  In todays world, commitment is a thing of the past.  Could happen but I don't think so this year. 

Special Delivery Jones

If it reflects badly on his character to leave after 1 year what does that say about Petrino?  Or do the circumstances surrounding the situation make it acceptable?  Like I said sometimes commitment and character are more about your family and your own personal well being than it is about a job in a place that is not home.  I don't see it happening at all, but if it were I would be thankful that he did the job he did this season and showed that the Hogs can play exciting and highly competitive basketball again.  The job is worth a lot more now than when Heath left. 

Beaverfever

Yeah either way wally is a huge idiot.  I see about a .0001 percent chance gillespie leaves kentucky.

ColonelNutt

3/4 of that article is inaccurate. 

That's garbage. 

The editor that let that get out, is garbage.

That's why I don't read the newspaper.

It's laughable that OK. St. can lure gillispie away from Kentucky.  The guy has no contract signed at Kentucky and he can leave anytime he wants to any school he wants and it won't be OK. St.

Beaverfever

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 03, 2008, 08:28:08 am

That's garbage. 

It's laughable that OK. St. can lure gillispie away from Kentucky.  The guy has no contract signed at Kentucky and he can leave anytime he wants to any school he wants and it won't be OK. St.
Yeah it's really just ridiculous.

The Marmot

FWIW, I heard the Gillespie out of Kentucky rumor about a week ago. Kentucky is not happy with Gillespie's coaching or lifestyle.... he was caught in a hot tub with 2 naked young ladies (I guess the Kent brass dont like that?) and they have hired a driver for him b/c of his drinking.

And that Kentucky's first choice would be Pelphrey.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hogsanity

For all of ou who think there is no way that__________________insert coach going somewhere, why not?  Why wouldn't Gillespie leave Kent, where he has no SIGNED CONTRACT, especially for the kind of $ T Boone Pickens can throw at him?  And, why wouldn't Pelphrey jump at the chance, to go somewhere that he is viewed as almost mythic, to coach one of the most storied programs in college basketball?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Beaverfever

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2008, 09:04:18 am
For all of ou who think there is no way that__________________insert coach going somewhere, why not?  Why wouldn't Gillespie leave Kent, where he has no SIGNED CONTRACT, especially for the kind of $ T Boone Pickens can throw at him?  And, why wouldn't Pelphrey jump at the chance, to go somewhere that he is viewed as almost mythic, to coach one of the most storied programs in college basketball?
Because it is oklahoma state and that would be the worst career move ever?...

idiotghos

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2008, 09:04:18 am
Why wouldn't Gillespie leave Kent, where he has no SIGNED CONTRACT, especially for the kind of $ T Boone Pickens can throw at him?

Weren't you just complaining that nobody could come up with a reason for self to leave kansas yesterday?

hogsanity

Quote from: idiotghos on April 03, 2008, 09:10:07 am
Weren't you just complaining that nobody could come up with a reason for self to leave kansas yesterday?

I don't see why Self would leave Kansas.  Gillespie strikes me as the mercenary type coach, who would leave Kentucky for Coppin St if the money was right.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

fu-man-soo

the guys on espnradio last night said that billy g's drinking was a non-starter for o-state

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HeathWimp on April 03, 2008, 08:12:57 am
Quick, tell me - who is Sean Sudden?

That's the Sean who was Suddenly out of a job.

fu-man-soo

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr/03/jayhawks_even_keel_upon_arrival_texas/?sports

• More on Sutton: John Rohde of the Daily Oklahoman says the school is dreaming if it thinks it can land coaches from powerhouse programs.

"Oklahoma State is a good basketball job with a nice following. But it's not in the same stratosphere as Kansas or Kentucky," Rohde wrote. "This is why KU's Bill Self won't be the Cowboys' next coach, and neither will UK's Billy Gillispie.

Rohde's realistic list of possibilities: Anthony Grant, VCU; Sean Miller, Xavier; Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt; Chris Lowery, Southern Illinois; Keno Davis, Drake. Former Arizona assistant Kevin O'Neill also could be a candidate, the Tulsa World reports.

opineonswine

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 03, 2008, 07:46:18 am
that was an idiotic article that only fuels the unessesary pelphrey to kentucky paranoia. ok st will not get self or gillespie or john wooden, this thought that they are holding the fate of the entire SEC in their hands is ridiculous.

word

Maddhog

Quote from: donewithdale on April 03, 2008, 09:46:45 am
Oneill?  KO better hope they don't check with Lute or the Az players.  That would be a disaster I would enjoy seeing.

What happened with Lute?   I'm curious about that.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

farmhawg

Wally's an idiot and trying to get everyone upset.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

David†

All this drama in the LBC it aint easy being snoop D. O. double G ........

SECGUY

Quote from: The Marmot on April 03, 2008, 08:57:45 am
he was caught in a hot tub with 2 naked young ladies (I guess the Kent brass dont like that?) and they have hired a driver for him b/c of his drinking.

Just had an Eddie Sutton 1978 flashback with the fro and all

SECGUY

Quote from: purplehog44 on April 03, 2008, 10:05:36 am
All this drama in the LBC it aint easy being snoop D. O. double G ........

Keep comin up with funky A$$ s%t everyday!

UKWildcats

He want be leaveing Ark for a while unless you fire him and as long as UK has Coach G  he want be at UK.  And if  Gillispie does leave UK, but he ant going to for a while then he might be a coach that i would have at UK

UKWildcats

Quote from: SECGUY on April 03, 2008, 10:15:14 am
Just had an Eddie Sutton 1978 flashback with the fro and all
screw Eddie Sutton he was a good coach  but he cheated and that ant going to cut it at UK.

UKWildcats

Are you all afraid of looseing Pel 

David†

April 03, 2008, 10:29:53 am #33 Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:38:54 am by purplehog44
Quote from: UKWildcats on April 03, 2008, 10:20:52 am
screw Eddie Sutton he was a good coach  but he cheated and that ant going to cut it at UK.

Quote from: UKWildcats on April 03, 2008, 10:19:48 am
He want be leaveing Ark for a while unless you fire him and as long as UK has Coach G  he want be at UK.  And if  Gillispie does leave UK, but he ant going to for a while then he might be a coach that i would have at UK

TennesseeRaz

That's what happens when coaches go to UK.  He was just following a well established precedent.

johogs001

This article really didn't need to be written.  Maybe come Sunday or Tuesday when Kansas is done playing this can be discussed, but until then what purpose did it serve.

BCShogs

wally really is an idiot. I guess his job is to stir the pot, but come on. Talk about far fetched.

cosmodrum

Quote from: UKWildcats on April 03, 2008, 10:28:21 am

I'm not. At least, not yet. The guy who wrote this article writes ridiculous columns, and this one fits the category. Wally is just trying to sell newspapers.
Go away, batin'

Dwight_K_Shrute

This was Wally's first column on the basketball team in about 3 weeks.  Even when we "historically" won the the first NCAA game in almost a decade he had a few sentences about the Hogs and spent the rest of the that column and several subsequent columns servicing Rick Barnes.

All I had to do was read the headline of his column and then just threw the whole damn sports section away.  I would almost resort to reading Robert Shields over this crap.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RedSatinHog

You mean like the $100 handshakes, and the $1000 bundles found in shoes sent to prospective recruits?

It goes on behind the scenes at UK, it went on behind the scenes at UCLA, and they aren't the only ones who have ever done it.  It didn't start the day Sutton arrived in lexington, so quit kidding yourself about it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2008, 10:46:51 am
This was Wally's first column on the basketball team in about 3 weeks.  Even when we "historically" won the the first NCAA game in almost a decade he had a few sentences about the Hogs and spent the rest of the that column and several subsequent columns servicing Rick Barnes.

All I had to do was read the headline of his column and then just threw the whole damn sports section away.  I would almost resort to reading Robert Shields over this crap.  

Not quite true.  Just last Tuesday, he wrote an article in the ARDEMGAZ that thanked the seniors for their contributions, but said that UA fans should be ready to move on and look to the future with Pel's recruitment classes.

UKWildcats

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 03, 2008, 11:02:47 am
You mean like the $100 handshakes, and the $1000 bundles found in shoes sent to prospective recruits?

It goes on behind the scenes at UK, it went on behind the scenes at UCLA, and they aren't the only ones who have ever done it.  It didn't start the day Sutton arrived in lexington, so quit kidding yourself about it.
yea i am sure that us and UCLA is the only two to do it  well if ever coach at UK has done  Sutton was the only stupid one to get caught and I am sure that Tubby cheated  looks at the recruits we got with him so we have Done work under Tubby

RedSatinHog

Quote from: UKWildcats on April 03, 2008, 11:05:41 am
   yea i am sure that us and UCLA is the only two to do it  well if ever coach at UK has done  Sutton was the only stupid one to get caught and I am sure that Tubby cheated  looks at the recruits we got with him so we have Done work under Tubby

Like I said, they're not the only ones who have ever done it.  UCLA is the one that ticks me off about the whole thing, though.  The NCAA looked the other way when it was going on under Wooden because they needed the LA market to continue promoting the tourney to networks in a day and time when it wasn't an attractive program.  Much different than today.

claytongray

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2008, 10:46:51 am
I would almost resort to reading Robert Shields over this crap.   

lmao

chiefsfan

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 03, 2008, 08:28:08 am

That's garbage. 

Well Wally is the editor...you forget

I personally think Wally is just upset that Pelphrey doesnt call into him the first time something happens on the basketball front.   As he said in his article, Pelphrey does live a very private life...and I think that bothers Wally just a tad

Its certainly different considering the life our last head football coach lived certainly wasnt private
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 03, 2008, 11:05:07 am
Not quite true.  Just last Tuesday, he wrote an article in the ARDEMGAZ that thanked the seniors for their contributions, but said that UA fans should be ready to move on and look to the future with Pel's recruitment classes.

I may have missed that one, but I know he never wrote much about us while we were in the tourney.  And he still went out of his way to crawl up Rick Barnes anus.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jgphillips3

Quote from: UKWildcats on April 03, 2008, 10:28:21 am

I don't think Pel would leave us, without pressure, to go to any other program in the Country other than Kentucky.  That is just my personal opinion.  I personally think it would be foolish on his part to go home because of the pressure cooker that is UK basketball, but I would NEVER blame him for going home to a legendary program.  I guess it is possible he would have to consider NC, Duke or Kansas maybe, but I really think he likes it here and if he keeps going the way he is going now and gets us back to prominence he will be a King here just like Nolan was for 17 years and Sutton before him.  I don't see any coach staying at UK for 17 years in the modern era under the pressure they must face.  Just my opinion...

SquirrelMasterFunk

I have not read the article and just a few post in this thread....but it seems to me that the whole bases of this is B.G. leaves Kentuck for Ok St.

Yeah, that will happen.

Leave a premire basketball school in a great confrence for a second rate team in the little 12.

Not going to happen.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

UKWildcats

Coach G is not going anywere any time soon.  So you guys can relax and Coach Pel ant going no were either

David†

Quote from: UKWildcats on April 03, 2008, 12:34:26 pm
Coach G is not going anywere any time soon.  So you guys can relax and Coach Pel ant going no were either

He ant?