Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oklahoma player of the year is

Started by The Recruiting Guy, March 31, 2008, 09:33:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arklahoman36

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 31, 2008, 10:49:12 pm
They list Page at 5/10 and he's about 5/7 or 5/8...Rotnei is a legit 6/0 and maybe even 6/1..He has never had trouble getting his shot off in AAU competition..He has played the best in the nation and proven his skills. He will not put up 40 but he will score and score a lot of different ways. He will also have a lot of assists the kid can pass and he's a shot maker.

Don't know the true heights, but saw them standing side-by-side, and Clarke isn't 4 or 5 inches taller than Page

OKhogfan1959

Seeing them side by side can be missleading...I a have seen and talked to both and Rotnei is about 4 inches taller than Keton.

Keton is about 5/8 and not 5/10.. Did you measure them? Were you on level ground?  Maybe Rotnei is really about 5/10..

I don't really have a reason to lie? Side by side and I guess that ends that discussion..

We'll see in time but I say Rotnei is about 4 inches taller..

arklahoman36

It was on level ground, already said I don't know true heights, so no I didn't measure them.
I can believe Page is about 5'8, but I think Rotnei is more like 5'10. I'm 6' and Clarke wasn't as tall as me.
People get so pi$$y on here about things. I never insinuated you were lying. I can believe someone is mistaken without thinking they're lying.

OKhogfan1959

I am about 6/5 and would say I am just guessing...My daughter is 6/0 barefooted and she is a bit taller than Rotnei...

Arklahoman36 sometimes we read things and they are different than meant..Sorry to have offended you..Not my intentions!!

IMO Rotnei is close to 6 foot..JMHO...I think he is about 4 inches taller than Keton..Could be wrong it's just that too me Keton looks much shorter..JMHO...LOL..

Both are very impressive and I think both are going to be much better in college than some critics think..We'll see??

What part of Oklahoma are you from?

tbhogfan

I always loved how Matt Jones was 6-5 as a football player and 6-7 as a basketball player.   Something about stepping onto a basketball court makes you taller.
Go Hogs!

Tomhog™

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 31, 2008, 08:47:49 pm
So Page is 5'7" and Clark is 3" taller? I thought he was 6'2" or so. Going to be tough to get a shot off at 5'10" in the SEC. Not poopooing Clark, just a little nervous if he is under 6'.

Clarke is 5'-9.5".  He has no chance of shooting over the opposing team's guards...   

OKhogfan1959

Where do you get that height from Tomhog?

arklahoman36

Quote from: LawnHog48 on April 01, 2008, 09:56:04 am
I am about 6/5 and would say I am just guessing...My daughter is 6/0 barefooted and she is a bit taller than Rotnei...

Arklahoman36 sometimes we read things and they are different than meant..Sorry to have offended you..Not my intentions!!

IMO Rotnei is close to 6 foot..JMHO...I think he is about 4 inches taller than Keton..Could be wrong it's just that too me Keton looks much shorter..JMHO...LOL..

Both are very impressive and I think both are going to be much better in college than some critics think..We'll see??

What part of Oklahoma are you from?

Grew up in Muskogee, live in Ark now, but still get back over to Muskogee, Tulsa and OKC pretty regular.

I wasn't offended,  just didn't want you to think I was calling you a liar, we can disagree in a civil manner.

I think Keiton ends up as a more impressive D player than shooter in college, and has the potential to be better pure-type PG in college than Clarke.

I think Clarke has the potential to be a lights-out shooter if his teammates get him good looks, and could give good production on the boards for a PG/SC with the way he manages to position himself on missed shots.

WizardofhOgZ

April 01, 2008, 02:55:28 pm #59 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:32:55 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 31, 2008, 01:41:15 pm
The POY is for this year and not his career. Keton had better stats this year.

Page went for 56 points and 15 assists in the finals of his state tournament. He deserved the POY in Oklahoma and it didn't matter where he went to college. There just wasn't any difference in them in HS. I would pick Rotnei over Page as a college player. He's taller by 3 inches or so and he's got more jumping ability. I think Keton is about 5/7-5/6..

I am a huge Rotnei Clarke fan and very happy that we have him!!!! I have seen both play and Rotnei has the scoring record because of his uncle playing him till the end of games when his team was winning by 30 or more points. Keton also played deep into games but not as much as Rotnei did. I don't blame the coaches! When do you get a chance to set records like those two did.

Keton deseved the POY award and if  Rotnei would have won it he aslo would have deserved it! Both had great careers  but this year Keton had a little better year..Stats tell the story..

Most on here running off at the mouth haven't even seen them play...

Two things . . .

first of all, can anyone supply the following statistics for this past season (Page's and Rotnei's senior season) - FG%, 3pt %, and Free Throw %, assists, turnovers.  I could give a rat's ass about the number of points they scored in ONE game (the final) as both teams won, and that's ALL that matters.  That's like tossing a coin, anyhow; on a given day, one might outscore the other.  But since this is a SEASON award, let's compare the stats for the SEASON (what a novel idea???).  Scoring is but ONE of the stats to compare.  Kind of like comparing only win/losses for a pitcher and ignoring their respective ERA's, strikeouts, walks, and average runs scored by their offense behind them. 

Secondarily, I vividly recall that there was a poll by either the Oklahoman or Tulsa World that had a link posted here 2 or 3 weeks ago asking who was better - Page or Rotnei.  I had strongly expected it to be a clear win for Page, since it was an Oklahoma based newpaper's website and would obviously have more Oklahoma traffic (since Page signed with OSU).  However, I took a look 2 or 3 days after having first seen the poll and to my suprise, Rotnei was ahead about 60/40.  I tried to find a link, but it appears to have been removed from the newspaper's server altogether.

Bottom line is that among remotely equal players, you have to expect the in-state paper to go with the OSU signee.  Not saying Clarke was "robbed" but am saying a close race goes to the OSU signee.  No surprise at all.  Actually, quite predicatable.

OKhogfan1959

April 01, 2008, 06:01:30 pm #60 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:59:27 pm by LawnHog48
I think the 60-40 win for rotnei was greatly helped by hogville and Arkansas fans. I voted Rotnei..

Also on the season deal you would be surprised that Keton scored more points this season and probably hit a higher % of his shots..If you read up I think Arklahoman36 posted that info in an earlier post...

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: arklahoman36 on April 01, 2008, 02:46:10 pm
Grew up in Muskogee, live in Ark now, but still get back over to Muskogee, Tulsa and OKC pretty regular.

I wasn't offended,  just didn't want you to think I was calling you a liar, we can disagree in a civil manner.

I think Keiton ends up as a more impressive D player than shooter in college, and has the potential to be better pure-type PG in college than Clarke.

I think Clarke has the potential to be a lights-out shooter if his teammates get him good looks, and could give good production on the boards for a PG/SC with the way he manages to position himself on missed shots.

I really think both will be very good players. I think Rotnei is in a good situation with Fortson coming in with him...
Keton is more a pure PG who can shoot the ball with the best of them..I think Rotnei will do well..

I wonder if Sutton getting released today will impact Keton?
I am always civil but sometimes when I go back and read what I have posted it sure seems like I am not..

OKhogfan1959

April 01, 2008, 06:08:01 pm #62 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:59:58 pm by LawnHog48
Here you go Wizard..

Quote from: arklahoman36 on March 31, 2008, 01:05:22 pm
Page had the highest season scoring average in state history this year, broke his own state tournament scoring record this year, set the career state tournament record for points, set the single season scoring record, lead his team to a state title, and led the state in scoring, assists (7.3 per game compared to 3.6 for Clarke) and steals (6.3 for Page and 3.3 for Clarke) for the season and broke the national record for career 3-point percentage (49.9 percent).

EDIT: He also shot a better percentage from the FT line and 3-point range than Clarke this season.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 31, 2008, 10:49:12 pm
They list Page at 5/10 and he's about 5/7 or 5/8...Rotnei is a legit 6/0 and maybe even 6/1..He has never had trouble getting his shot off in AAU competition..He has played the best in the nation and proven his skills. He will not put up 40 but he will score and score a lot of different ways. He will also have a lot of assists the kid can pass and he's a shot maker.
I hope you are right. I haven't seen enough of the kid to have an educated opinion. I guess I will have to assume that if Pelphrey(and several other coaches) wants him, he's the real deal.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

WizardofhOgZ

April 02, 2008, 01:00:06 pm #64 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:42:38 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: LawnHog48 on April 01, 2008, 06:08:01 pm
Also on the season deal you would be surprised that Keton scored more points this season and probably hit a higher % of his shots..If you read up I think Arklahoman36 posted that info in an earlier post...Novel idea read the frickin posts and you'll save time.

Here you go Wizard..Maybe next time you will give a rats ass and read the posts!

Two things - thanks for retrieving those stats (though I'm still interested in FG % and what Rotnei's numbers were for 3 pt %). 

If you will drop your defensive attitude, and re-read my first post, you will see that I did NOT say Rotnie was "robbed"; indeed, the only thing I stated an opinion on was that I thought a "Player of the year" award should be based on the entire season, and also that it would normally be expected to be given to the one who is staying in-state to play his college ball, all things being relatively equal, as they are in this case.  I don't think that's too radical a take - just common sense.  And it doesn't mean that Page doesn't deserve it.  And please, no excuses that "others" were making the claim that Clarke should have gotten it - you were clearly directing your comments at me, NOT everyone else in this thread, in these particular posts.   

Second thing - kiss my ass for your smug response to my prior post, in general.  I said I could give a Rat's ass about who scored more in the Championship game, and I still feel that way.  For the record (as it appears you couldn't have figured this out on your own), I would feel EXACTLY the same way if Rotnei had scored 50 points and Page 27, or whatever.  One game does NOT a SEASON make, and I care a great deal more about both of them leading their teams to WINS in the State Finals than their specific numbers in that single game.  You are welcome to feel differently, but you are NOT welcome to dismiss me in a condescending way because I feel the way I feel.

And furthermore . . . it's virtually impossible to read every post on this site.  Actually, I shouldn't have had to, either.  When someone makes a claim, as you did - in the post I was responding to - that Page should win because "the stats tell the story", it is proper protocol for YOU to have provided the stats you were talking about so we could all see what you were basing your argument on; you didn't.  The only statistical reference you gave was Page's stats in the 2A Final game.  While interesting, that's simply not enough.  Far-fetched example, to make my point.  If Page had averaged 8.4 points and 3 rebounds a game this season - then had the game he did in the State Final - would he be your "Player of the Year"?  I doubt it.  The season statistics are what matter most, along with the team results.  Individual stats in the Final are waaaaay down the list - UNLESS one of the two just failed to show up at all in the Final, and that is not the case with either. 

As for "reading the posts", I did scan down through the other posts (I didn't have time to read them all in detail; but I did look) and when I saw that post I saw Page's stats but not Rotnei; a re-read indicates some of Rotnei's information was imbedded, but even this is incomplete.  Page may have had a "better" number, but I'd like to know what Rotnei's was to compare.  So, even if I had seen all of this info before, it would not have answered my question. 

How pious and presumptous of you to think I have the time to read every frickin thread on this site, OR that I'm "ignorant" (as you imply) because I haven't done so.  Ironic, too, because I'm "that guy" who actually scans a board to see if someone has already started a thread about a new "hot topic" before posting, unlike many (most?).  Matter of fact, I got in a big pissing war here yesterday because I made a comment about a link that's been posted here 10 times before and people jumped me for even gently making the point.  So screw off about not reading each and every post here.

I think that about covers it.

OKhogfan1959

April 02, 2008, 01:34:07 pm #65 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:00:41 pm by LawnHog48
nm

WizardofhOgZ

April 02, 2008, 02:04:24 pm #66 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:06:06 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: LawnHog48 on April 02, 2008, 01:34:07 pm
Let me cover this for you..

I have you figured out now..Smart ass on a computer with a big attitude who probably gets the crap beat out of him on a daily basis.. I'll let some other poster retrieve info for you..

I should have stoped when you posted you don't give a rats ass about a kid scoring 56 in the finals of a state game!!

Have a good day!

You must be looking in a mirror, because that's exactly who you seem to be.  You are a wanna-be cyber-bully who can't seem to live with the fact that someone has a slightly different opinion than yours.  I NEVER disagreed with Page winning the award - just simply (and not maliciously) stated an opinion that (1) a SEASON award ought to be based on the SEASON rather than a single game (since both had outstanding games in the state Final and both of their respective teams WON); and (2) that it is no surprise that a fairly even 2-horse race for "Player of the Year" would most often be expected to be won by the kid staying in-state to play college ball.

What you're probably confused about is that I made the point about season stats mattering more than the stats from the Championship game.  Your post said Page "had a better season" and that "the stats" showed that.  But the only "stats" your post contained were Page's (not Rotnei's) from that one game.  Nowhere to be found were season stats for EITHER player.  Had you included those - as you should have given your comments about the "stats showing" that Page had the better season - maybe there would have been no need for the type of response I made.  But you didn't, so my comments were both relevant and needed.

You seem to think - since you've SEEN them play - that your opinion is the only one that matters.  Sorry, but it's just not true.   You react as if I disagreed with your choice (which, by the way, I have every right to do) when, in fact, I just made some comments about some additional information (that your post did not contain) to consider when making the choice for a "Player of the Year".  Why you feel so compelled to attempt to bully me (unsuccessfully) into thinking otherwise is something you ought to reflect on.

Tomhog™

You guys have your choice:  stop the personal attacks or tell me to send the thread to the Trash Can.

There is no sense in getting mad over one another's opinion.  Opinions will always vary. 

OKhogfan1959

April 02, 2008, 03:11:43 pm #68 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:48:16 pm by LawnHog48
Anyone who has seen them play clearly understands that there is little difference in the two..Page more than deserved POY and if Rotnei is named POY he will be deserving also..I would take Rotnei everyday of the week!! All you have too do is look at Rotnei's offers..Much better offers..Keton had a phenomenal year..
Have a good day..

SPAL

Didnt we try to sway damian williams to arkansas with the landers award when MItch was obviously the winner. How can a player be the best player in the nation, yet not in his own state....?

Hogtimes

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 10:26:58 am
What are their stats from this year?  Anyone have them?  I'm pretty sure I could argue against Page getting it and for Rotnei.  Rotnei is the all-time leading scorer in the state of Oklahoma and led his team to a state title this year.  Why should Page get it (besides the fact that he's going to OSU)?

Page was the leading scorer in the state this year,  ahead of Clark.   Page led his team to a state title.   Page stats were better for this year than Clarke's.    This award was based on this years performance ,  not for a career.   

Hogtimes

Quote from: pignatious on March 31, 2008, 09:29:52 pm
Daily Oklahoman refuses to acknowledge that anything goes on beyond the state's borders anyway. A truly horrible newspaper in every way. Should have at least had co-players of the year if they wanted to homer it up that bad.

I believe the Daily Oklahoma Sports Writer picking these awards is from Arkansas.

jry04

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 31, 2008, 08:47:49 pm
So Page is 5'7" and Clark is 3" taller? I thought he was 6'2" or so. Going to be tough to get a shot off at 5'10" in the SEC. Not poopooing Clark, just a little nervous if he is under 6'.
He is 6'0".

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Stan on April 02, 2008, 10:31:40 pm
I believe the Daily Oklahoma Sports Writer picking these awards is from Arkansas.

Ryan Aber? He's a OU fan through and through..He did work Arkansas football and he did HS for the Fort Smith paper. He's an Oklahoma boy though.

Doggtown31LCC

yea thats a little strange when a guy breaks the state scoring record and wins a state title and doesn't get player of the year, sounds very mysterious. we should get scooby and the gang on this case.   ???
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

pfrg999

The Daily Oklahoman is a Oklahoma City Paper that 80% of the State neither sees nor reads..  Page is a BadA player... Rotnei got one and Page got one...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

AUSTXHOG

Can someone tell me the proper pronunciation of Verdigris?  Is it Ver-dee-gris?