Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Brummett: "When Hosts Boo Their Guests"

Started by WilsonHog, March 25, 2008, 12:13:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfandude

Quote from: ContrarianHog on March 25, 2008, 05:14:26 pm
I don't consider having a contrary opinion about something Razorback being a "Razorback hater." To paraphrase an old but well-settled common law jury instruction, being a Razorback fan doesn't mean I have to check my common sense at the door. Or my objectivity, for that matter. "Razorback fan" ought not equal "mindless drone."

And no, I'm not taking it personal. I'm on spring break and rather bored, so I decided to spend a few hours amusing myself and screwing with people. Why do you think I posted the thread in the first place? I knew it would be so controversial it would provide a few hours of entertainment, much as the thread I posted awhile back about a friend of mine blaring "Rocky Top" at a Razorback Club meeting where Houston Nutt was speaking. I caught hell for that, but enjoyed myself immensely (and yet two years later we're flying derogatory banners about the man - ironic, huh?).    

Contrarian:  Scott is not a Razorback fan (figuratively and literally), he is the Sports Editor for our local newspaper and used to (still does?) sports broadcasting on the radio.  He denigrated fans horribly because we dared to think the Rbacks should be able to win the SEC.  His comments were not unlike Frank Broyles.  DON'T GET ME WRONG!  I actually like Scott.  If it is not about the hogs, he can write some outstanding sports stories.  I just don't like his hatred for the poor dumb fans who support the hogs. 

Amityvillehogger

Brummet is stupid and annoying.

There, I feel better ;D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

cthog99

this reminds me of the red sox - yankees rivalry. there will be games when boston is playing away in say tampa or kansas city and a yankees suck chant starts out.

ncrzrbk01

I realize I'm late to the party on this one, but after catching up on 6 pages of thread, there are a few points I'd like to make:

1)  Hog fans, TRUE Hog fans, are fans wherever they go, whatever they do. People in Arkansas who bought tickets to this event a year in advance had no way of knowing their team would be sent east. Would they rather have been watching the Hogs than anyone else on that court? Absolutely. So because they chose to attend the games scheduled in Little Rock, they should just forget about their own?? Did you really expect them to check their fanhood at the door?  Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

2) I was in Raleigh watching the Hogs play when someone a few seats over got a text message saying that they were calling the hogs in Little Rock.  We loved it!  Why?  Because as part of a small contingent surrounded by blue, it felt good to know the home crowd was there in spirit, if not in person.  If you've never been a part of that or can't understand, that's truly unfortunate.

3) Something else I noticed in Raleigh, not only were people wearing anything red they could find (Davidson excluded), there were also plenty of Duke logos on display.  Let me ask you this...was Duke playing in RBC?  Exactly. Who do you think those people came to cheer for?  Wonder how many of them joined in on a hog call? Every NC State, Duke, and Wake fan over here jumped on the Hog bandwagon. Guess they must have issues too...

4) 1995 doesn't matter as much to me as the coach's untimely comments.  I can assure you, if I had a seat in LR last weekend, I would have joined right in on the booing. Not for revenge. Not because I have some inferiority complex. Not because people on a message board tried to organize. But because I (my team and my state) had been insulted.  If you want hospitality, there might be a better approach than threatening to take your toys and go home.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: idiotghos on March 26, 2008, 05:38:44 pm
why should we care what the longhorns think of the arkansas?  Why should we care what the rest of the country thinks of arkansas-texas?  They're still texas.  The ones who say otherwise are the ones with the inferiority complex in this case - afraid that we get looked down on for hating them. 

Preach it!  I said the exact same thing in another thread.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Robby H on March 26, 2008, 06:15:58 pm
I don't know what surprises me more. That a.) John Brummet still has a collumn or that b.) some people actually read it. Shocking, just shocking.

Most, like me, didn't read this particular column.  It wasn't necessary.  If you have read one of Brummet's columns (especially since he ran back home from D.C. with his tail between his legs) you've read them all.  All he changes are the headline and a few introductory sentences.  The rest is trite boilerplate stuff covered with cob webs.

hogsanity

Quote from: ncrzrbk01 on March 29, 2008, 01:26:14 pm

3) Something else I noticed in Raleigh, not only were people wearing anything red they could find (Davidson excluded), there were also plenty of Duke logos on display.  Let me ask you this...was Duke playing in RBC?  Exactly. Who do you think those people came to cheer for?  Wonder how many of them joined in on a hog call? Every NC State, Duke, and Wake fan over here jumped on the Hog bandwagon. Guess they must have issues too...

Sure Duke,Wake, and NCST fans were booing NC.  THEY are all within the same state, and IN THE SAME LEAGUE!
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Hog fans need to mature...the Texas thing ended nearly 20 years ago when the Hogs left the SWC. And during their SWC days, as Brummett mentions, the Hogs were the Horns' TCU...no big deal. 54-17 against the Hogs. That's nothing to get too excited about when you play...an easy win 3 out of 4 times.

Grow up rednecks and love Texas for what is is...a winner and one of the best football traditions in college football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hogsanity on March 31, 2008, 02:47:37 pm
Sure Duke,Wake, and NCST fans were booing NC.  THEY are all within the same state, and IN THE SAME LEAGUE!

Right there you reveal that you don't understand.  I am not a Duke, Wake, or NC St fan but they react differently then I do when I am seeing LSU, Bammer, or TN play outside of conference.  I am rooting for them (well, maybe not TN).  Yet they hate their own conference teams?

Whatever Duke, Wake, & NC St feel for UNC is what I feel for Texas.  I grew up in Texass' conference and I sure as heck feel like I was an in-state rivale since every dang conference game was against a Texas school.

I'm not going to forget that overnight, not after 20 years, not UNTIL I DIE.  I bet Duke, WF, and NC St feel the same way.  By the way, I don't think UNC has ever worried much about being beat by WF and NC St yet they certainly consider it a rivalry.  Shouldn't you start ripping them for having an inferiority complex?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 31, 2008, 06:06:31 pm
Hog fans need to mature...the Texas thing ended nearly 20 years ago when the Hogs left the SWC. And during their SWC days, as Brummett mentions, the Hogs were the Horns' TCU...no big deal. 54-17 against the Hogs. That's nothing to get too excited about when you play...an easy win 3 out of 4 times.

Grow up rednecks and love Texas for what is is...a winner and one of the best football traditions in college football.

I got your redneck hanging!  Tuck Fexas! 
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Hogginitall

Quote from: wayne1958 on March 31, 2008, 07:37:08 pm

That's what I'm talking about!  Tuck Fexas!

gettinpiggywithit

I guess he needs to start writing his articles about nearly every other school in the nation. Last I checked, most everyone hates Texas.
Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

stronguard

There is nothing wrong with a little hate for our old SWC brethren.  Texas being the alpha dog of the SWC garnered the most hate, and thusly have the most residual hate.

There are many rivalries that go beyond conferences.  USC/ND  FL/FL State  FL/Mia UG/GT  SC/Clem  ND/Mich  Iowa/Iowa St.

Arkansas doesn't have the secondary state school to hate b/c JFB wouldn't ever let that rivalry develop.  So the next best thing is to pick the best team from a neighboring state and hate them.  BAM Texas.  And yes, a lot of the hate comes from the fact that Texas is almost always good if not great at athletics.  So, that's natural human response.

But for these fans that make it personal i.e. calling out little girls and their moms, throwing things, cursing at the players, threats, so forth and so on, get a grip.  There is always going too far.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: wayne1958 on March 31, 2008, 07:37:08 pm

Geez...this is what I am talking about.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Wild Bill Hog

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 31, 2008, 09:52:56 pm
Hook . . . Line . . . Sinker.
What? You mean he's not a redneck who hates Texas? Gee, guess he got me then.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 01, 2008, 09:24:55 am
What? You mean he's not a redneck who hates Texas? Gee, guess he got me then.

Yep, he did.

SC-RAZOR

I have lived in Fayetteville for 47 years and was brought up to hate Texas and love the Hawgs. Just because we don't play them changes nothing for me. We don't play the New England Patriots either and I boo them every time I see them.

Hogginitall

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 31, 2008, 09:49:55 pm
Geez...this is what I am talking about.

Are you really shallow enough to think that only stupid rednecks from Arkansas don't like Texas?  It really has nothing to do with monetary standing, class, employment, color, sex, etc.  If you are an Arkansas fan, you don't like Texas.  That is, unless you were born after 1992.  If you were around during the SWC days and you don't mind Texas just because we switched conferences, I don't think you are a true Razorback fan. 

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 31, 2008, 06:06:31 pm

So then, despite what others have said, the Hog fans who truly have an inferiority complex are those that don't believe we are good enough to have a rivalry with Texas.

That's what I've been saying all along.  The Hog fans who still hate Texas are not the ones with the inferiority complex; it's the ones who believe we have no business annoying Texas with our little "spat." 

Thanks for proving my point.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on April 01, 2008, 12:01:48 pm
So then, despite what others have said, the Hog fans who truly have an inferiority complex are those that don't believe we are good enough to have a rivalry with Texas.

That's what I've been saying all along.  The Hog fans who still hate Texas are not the ones with the inferiority complex; it's the ones who believe we have no business annoying Texas with our little "spat." 

Thanks for proving my point.

Hey, that's a GREAT point.  I'd never thought of it that way.  But, that is exactly why it is so frustrating to hear a supposed Arkansas fan say, "get over Texas, that was 20 years ago, we were never a rival to them, we care so much more about it than they do".  It pi$$es me off tremendously to hear Arkansas "fans" say such things. 

HognotinMemphis

hillhog

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on March 25, 2008, 01:11:19 pm
I think our state's attitude toward the North about Reconstruction still reigns king over that title.
Yeah, and that one is not over either, it's just half time, as I saw a poster exclaim the other day.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 01, 2008, 10:17:05 pm
Point of order ... Most of the criticism of my columns was due to me being critical of Nutt's coaching mistakes and Broyles mishandling of The Program.

I just like to think I was ahead of the curve on pointing out the incompetence of the past few years.

This is true. However, I will point out that I don't recall anyone being ahead of me regarding my criticisms of Broyles, which I began making shortly after he fired Richardson in 2002. I don't recall anyone asking for Broyles' head before fall of '05.

D Ive Wright

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2008, 12:13:09 pm
http://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/archive/2008/03/25/JohnBrummett/345713.html

JB is a good guy. Please remember some of the articles he wrote about HDN

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: D Ive Wright on April 04, 2008, 12:16:26 pm

JB is a bitter has been who ceased any original thinking several years ago.  He pulls out trite, previously used, dated filler and tries to repackage it as relevant.  He had an edge to him at one time, but not any more.  Not for several years.

El Puerco

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 01, 2008, 10:46:21 am
Are you really shallow enough to think that only stupid rednecks from Arkansas don't like Texas?  It really has nothing to do with monetary standing, class, employment, color, sex, etc.  If you are an Arkansas fan, you don't like Texas.  That is, unless you were born after 1992.  If you were around during the SWC days and you don't mind Texas just because we switched conferences, I don't think you are a true Razorback fan. 

Agreed.  I'm from the richest area of California imaginable and I spit on Texas. The only thing worse than an elitist, is a delusional elitist.  Texas sucks and has more than its fair share of redneck dummies and appears to be making a run at cornering the market on jerks.  As an added bonus, it is possibly the worst swath of barren, unlivable, desolate, dry, fly-over country known to mankind. I, for one, vote we give the whole damn thing back to Mexico.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: El Puerco on April 04, 2008, 01:33:52 pm
Agreed.  I'm from the richest area of California imaginable and I spit on Texas. The only thing worse than an elitist, is a delusional elitist.  Texas sucks and has more than its fair share of redneck dummies and appears to be making a run at cornering the market on jerks.  As an added bonus, it is possibly the worst swath of barren, unlivable, desolate, dry, fly-over country known to mankind. I, for one, vote we give the whole damn thing back to Mexico.

Have you been here recently?  Not sure that would be necessary!!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

stronguard

Quote from: D Ive Wright on April 04, 2008, 12:16:26 pm

Brummett wastes oxygen every time he takes a breath.  He's a bandwagon jumper who hasn't had an original thought since the Gazette was in circulation.  How he continues to get paid to write is beyond me.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

El Puerco

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 04, 2008, 05:54:39 pm
Have you been here recently?  Not sure that would be necessary!!  :)

Good point