Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Brummett: "When Hosts Boo Their Guests"

Started by WilsonHog, March 25, 2008, 12:13:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Delivery Jones

I am guessing he is meaning in football when he said they considered us the same as TCU.  Which I think is a pretty far stretch.  In basketball they were more or less our TCU.

hog.goblin

"Even when we were in the same collegiate sports conference as Texas, the Longhorn invested more emotion in Oklahoma and Texas A&M. We were their Tulsa, maybe their TCU."

It is this comment that reveals that John Brummet knows nothing about sports as it relates to the Hogs, Texas, and the SWC.  Texas did indeed have more hate for OU, but no one in the SWC beat the Horns as often as we did (and not that was very often).  But when it came to basketball and track, they could only dream of our success.  This was a rivalry and the 95 regional proved it.

Since Brumment's comments on our history are so clueless, one can assume his assessment on booing is clueless too.

Ex-Trumpet

Brummett's column illustrates what was wrong with the defection to the SEC...

MANY HOG FANS NO LONGER HATE TEXAS!!!

Rick Barnes has stirred up memories in the annals of many minds that might otherwise have been passive towards Texas...and, reminded many more of us that still hate Texas why we do!!

Thank you Coach Barnes for reminding many of us why we HATE TEXAS!!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

oldbooniehog

I read Brummett's column, and I have a unique perspective on what he said.

Brummett complains about Arkansas fans booing the Texas band.

In 1989, I was a member of the Marching Razorback Band.

We marched a halftime show at a Dallas Cowboys game in Texas.

When we took the field, we were roundly and soundly booed.

In the parking lot, we were yelled at, taunted, and insulted both getting off our buses and getting back on our buses.

Granted, Arkansas was still in the SWC back then.

But it was pretty much the exact same situation that Brummett is carping about.........The U of A wasn't competing at the Cowboys game that day.

There was no reason to boo us.

But we got booed.

I suppose we got booed at a Dallas Cowboys game exactly because all those Texas people never gave a rip about Arkansas....you know, just like Brummett claims in his column.....that's why the Razorback Band got booed  at  Cowboys game....because Texans didn't give a rip.

Yeah, right....got it......check that, Brummett.

I do agree that calling the Hogs at the Texas-Miami game was pretty clueless, however.

oldbooniehog

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

hog 47

I do think they are jealous. If I had to choose to live with nothing but mesquite trees and egotistical p
eople, or live in a beautiful rolling hill state with hog lovers, I can see where they would be jealous.    Go Hogs

Dirty

I don't care what event it was.  Texas Longhorns were there and they will always deserve to get booed.  This is the way I feel.  So if the NCAA doesn't want to play in North Little Rock again that's fine with me.  If they do. They better not seed Texas there again or they will get booed again. 

CORZRBACKFAN

I see no issue at all with the booing. There is a lot of hatred towards the University of Texas in Arkansas, and their coach made an inflammatory comment. I certainly wouldn't have been cheering for them! He is correct on one point: the calling of the hogs. That's not right when the Arkansas Razorbacks are playing a game over a 1000 miles away. You save those moments for UA games and other random times when you're showing solidarity with fellow Hog fans for things UA-related, not to spite an opponent not even playing Arkansas. I'm sure it was funny if you were in the building, but it disrepected a proud tradition in my book. The booing was enough to get the point across.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on March 25, 2008, 09:58:56 pm
I see no issue at all with the booing. There is a lot of hatred towards the University of Texas in Arkansas, and their coach made an inflammatory comment. I certainly wouldn't have been cheering for them! He is correct on one point: the calling of the hogs. That's not right when the Arkansas Razorbacks are playing a game over a 1000 miles away. You save those moments for UA games and other random times when you're showing solidarity with fellow Hog fans for things UA-related, not to spite an opponent not even playing Arkansas. I'm sure it was funny if you were in the building, but it disrepected a proud tradition in my book. The booing was enough to get the point across.

Here in Dallas, the Longhorn-Haters at my office loved the Hog-calling--even ones that didn't attend UA!!

My only complaint is that it wasn't for the whole 2 games...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HogBawls

John Brummett can kiss my grits.

We can root for or boo whomever we want

Tuck Fexas!

snortyann

hoglady

Brummett needs to lighten up a little. I could have sworn I saw a few chuckles from the Texas players when Barnes got booed. It was all in fun, no one seemed to get out of line.
I don't give rip what he thought of the Hog calling - the fans there loved it. I think most Miami fans knew it was done out of excitement during the late comeback.
The Austin Peay fans LOVED the hog fans and thought the tiff with Texas was hilarious.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

3 questions about things that keep coming up in this thread:

1.  Did you think it was okay that Texas fans booed the Hogs in the 95 subregional in Austin?

2.  Did the booin in NLR this past weekend do anything to HELP the state of Arkansas?

3.  Would you EVER take a win over texas in exchange for a loss in the SEC, in any sport for any reason?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

March 26, 2008, 10:04:08 am #163 Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:07:08 am by cosmodrum
Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 09:58:38 am
3 questions about things that keep coming up in this thread:

1.  Did you think it was okay that Texas fans booed the Hogs in the 95 subregional in Austin?

2.  Did the booin in NLR this past weekend do anything to HELP the state of Arkansas?

3.  Would you EVER take a win over texas in exchange for a loss in the SEC, in any sport for any reason?

1. Fine with me. It's understandable. Like our situation this year, it had little effect.

2. Were the intentions to help the state of Arkansas? I can't think of one instance at a sporting event where I reserved boos or booed more because I thought it would help/hurt Arkansas. It was Texas. People know we don't like Texas. People outside of Arkansas don't care one bit, anyway. So, it may not have helped, but it didn't hurt Arkansas, either.

3. If we had no chance to be bowl eligible, or were in the cellar of the SEC-W, then yes, I'd rather beat Texas. I'd never trade an SECT win for a Texas win, for obvious reasons.
Go away, batin'

aristotle

Come on, John Brummett. Haven't they told you that Arkansas has an unhealthy inferiority complex with the U. of Texas. Everybody knows that.

mj4president

So booing is a sign that we are insecure? Dumbest thing I have ever heard. I HATE Texas. I could care less if they don't see us as a rival. Just as long as we keep beating them and outplaying them with less talent. Texas had it coming. They are Texas. They are easy to hate. I love the hog calls. Outsiders don't get it but again I could care less what outsiders think of the hog call for Miami. (You think Miami basketball is bringing fans to Arkansas???) So when Texas fans boo OU fans they are insecure?

John Brummett= DA of the month.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

hogsanity

Quote from: mj4president on March 26, 2008, 10:54:39 am
So booing is a sign that we are insecure? Dumbest thing I have ever heard. I HATE Texas. I could care less if they don't see us as a rival. Just as long as we keep beating them and outplaying them with less talent. Texas had it coming. They are Texas. They are easy to hate. I love the hog calls. Outsiders don't get it but again I could care less what outsiders think of the hog call for Miami. (You think Miami basketball is bringing fans to Arkansas???) So when Texas fans boo OU fans they are insecure?

John Brummett= DA of the month.

Again, booing them when we are playing them is part of it.  Booing them if we were in the same league with them would be part of it.  Booing them when our own team is playing 1,000 miles away is pathetic.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

spudhog

POORLY WRITTEN AND RESEARCHED. I UNDERSTAND WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO GRASP. UNFORTUNATELY, YOU JUST CAN'T LEAVE OUT THE PREVIOUS HISTORY OF THIS SERIES NOR THE NORMAL BANTER THAT GOES ON AT AN NCAA EVENT. IF UT WOULD'VE PLAYED IN OKC, THEY WOULD'VE RECEIVED THE SAME TREATMENT.

IT IS NOT PAYING CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO LEARN EACH TEAMS CHEERS. I THOUGHT THE BOOING WAS TASTEFULL (NOT VULGAR) AND THE HOG CALL'S WERE WELL TIMED AND A GREAT WAY TO UNITE A UNIQUE ATMOSPHERE.

The Marmot

Quote from: spudhog on March 26, 2008, 11:07:08 am
POORLY WRITTEN AND RESEARCHED. I UNDERSTAND WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO GRASP. UNFORTUNATELY, YOU JUST CAN'T LEAVE OUT THE PREVIOUS HISTORY OF THIS SERIES NOR THE NORMAL BANTER THAT GOES ON AT AN NCAA EVENT. IF UT WOULD'VE PLAYED IN OKC, THEY WOULD'VE RECEIVED THE SAME TREATMENT.

IT IS NOT PAYING CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO LEARN EACH TEAMS CHEERS. I THOUGHT THE BOOING WAS TASTEFULL (NOT VULGAR) AND THE HOG CALL'S WERE WELL TIMED AND A GREAT WAY TO UNITE A UNIQUE ATMOSPHERE.

LOUD NOISES!!!!!
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Sao Ming

I bet if asked, Brummett feels that keeping score in Little League is preposterous.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 26, 2008, 11:24:35 am

I bet if asked, Brummett feels that keeping score in Little League is preposterous.

I bet if asked, he thinks Little League is preposterous.
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 11:04:40 am
Again, booing them when we are playing them is part of it.  Booing them if we were in the same league with them would be part of it.  Booing them when our own team is playing 1,000 miles away is pathetic.

It had nothing to do with the location of the Razorbacks. It had to do with the location of Texas, which was Razorback country.

Let's talk fooseball for a sec. Say a USC fan is at a Penn St v Notre Dame game. Let's pretend he's not a fan of Penn St. Notre Dame comes running out. I'll bet a shiny nickel that he boos. The Trojans are at least 1000 miles away, and they are not in the same conference. Yes, they play every year, but I bet if they stopped playing every year the USC fan would still hate ND and would still boo. Bigger rivalry without question, but I think the analogy works.
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 26, 2008, 11:42:30 am
It had nothing to do with the location of the Razorbacks. It had to do with the location of Texas, which was Razorback country.

Let's talk fooseball for a sec. Say a USC fan is at a Penn St v Notre Dame game. Let's pretend he's not a fan of Penn St. Notre Dame comes running out. I'll bet a shiny nickel that he boos. The Trojans are at least 1000 miles away, and they are not in the same conference. Yes, they play every year, but I bet if they stopped playing every year the USC fan would still hate ND and would still boo. Bigger rivalry without question, but I think the analogy works.

And I bet the USC/ND rivalry was/is/ and always will be one of the top 5 college fb rivalries of all time.  They play almost every year, and it is one of the most anticipated NATIONAL games of the season. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on March 25, 2008, 02:06:29 pm
And you were brought up that way because the generation before you had an inferioroty complex when it came to Texas.

Arkansas, in general, has the worst red-headed stepchild syndrom of any state in the union.  To hear it told, everyone is out to get us.  In sports, it is ESPN, the SEC, the refs, the announcers, the guys at Raycom, the ncaa, and anyone else blame can be thrown at.

When will people understand, the "rivalry" with Texas died when we left the SWC.  Sure, it is fun to play them once in a while, but it is not the be all end all.  It also should not still be a driving force to our fans. 

Why do you keep saying that this is an inferiority complex?  Could you explain it to me?  Because I don't like Texas, due to the old SWC days, that means that I automatically have an inferiority complex?  If I boo them, or cheer against them, even when they aren't playing Arkansas, that means that I have an inferiority complex?  What do you think would happen if the SEC disbanded, Auburn and Alabama went to different conferences, and only played each other every once in awhile?  Do you think that they would start liking each other or forget about the rivalry?  Would Alabama have an inferiority complex because they still didn't like Auburn, even though they weren't in the same conference?  I just don't understand your premise.

cosmodrum

March 26, 2008, 12:08:52 pm #174 Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:10:28 pm by cosmodrum
Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 11:45:18 am
And I bet the USC/ND rivalry was/is/ and always will be one of the top 5 college fb rivalries of all time.  They play almost every year, and it is one of the most anticipated NATIONAL games of the season. 

I don't dispute that. You're exactly right. You made the point that it was pathetic because we weren't in the building and we aren't in the same conference. I'll concede that the two rivalries don't even close to compare, but many Arkansas fans hate Texas like USC and ND hate each other. That's where I draw my comparison. And yes, they almost play every year, but we also play Texas damn near every year. Not in bball, but we schedule football games frequently. If we didn't play hadn't played Texas at all since we left the SWC, I could see us not caring as much about Texas. But we play them enough to keep our "hate fire" burning, so to speak.
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2008, 11:51:53 am
Give it up with hogsanity.  This is one of his favorite agendas.  He wants us to forget about Texas and leave behind any emotions you have as a Hog fan towards them.  If it were up to him we wouldn't ever play Texas again.  That way he wouldn't have to work at teaching his kids that our connection to Texas is unimportant.  You aren't going to be able to get through to him. 

Wrong.  When we play Texas, I want to beat them 100-0.  I want them to be misearable when they come to play up here.  What I want to see though, is a end to the " playing and beating Texas is the best thing ever" attitude.  I truly think some people still believe we are in the SWC.  Anyone who would EVER take a conference loss for a win over an ooc team is just deranged, imo.

I tell my boys all about the Texas series, and how it USED TO BE important on a national level.  I also tell them that the SWC dies and we now play in the SEC.  The principle at their school is a LSu grad, and they trade barbs every year when we play LSU.  Would it be the same if the principle was a TExas grad?  No, because we play them once or twice a decade.

Sao Ming

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 12:11:46 pm

I tell my boys all about the Texas series, and how it USED TO BE important on a national level.  I also tell them that the SWC dies and we now play in the SEC.  The principle at their school is a LSu grad, and they trade barbs every year when we play LSU.  Would it be the same if the principle was a TExas grad?  No, because we play them once or twice a decade.

San, you are DEAD wrong on this.  DEAD wrong.  Put yourself in my shoes and ask yourself "Does Sao ever get raked over the coals by Texas fans for being an Arkansas fan?"

Dude, come off the hill every once in a while.  Get out.  Explore.  You'll soon find being an "Arkie" fan around here invites all manner of conversation.  Just ask any UT fan in Arkansas!

bullmts

I still hate Texas.  Alabama will always hate Auburn.  Miss will always hate Miss St.  Florida will always hate Miami and Florida St.  Natural rivalary always transcends conference ties.  It's sports for goodness sake.  Brummett is an idiot in politics so why would we expect any less in sports.  He would be happy if UA sports didn't exist and if the Clinton's were in office automatically until they die.

SpareRib

March 26, 2008, 12:22:45 pm #178 Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:25:12 pm by SpareRib
I'm not a fan of Brummett's condescensions on ... pick a topic.  I do however think he makes a point here.

Texas came here as our guests, not as our opponents.  Guests should be treated with hospitality and given a cordial welcome.  That's the classy thing to do.  Never mind what their coach said before arriving - joke or otherwise.  To get sucked into a fight based on his remarks just makes us look like fools.  They are our guests.

To sit in the stands and boo the Texas folks when we are hosts and not competitors is low class, eighth grade stuff.  It makes us look small.

I'm no fan of irrational hatred.  I'm not above hate, but try to save it for when it counts.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 26, 2008, 12:08:52 pm
I don't dispute that. You're exactly right. You made the point that it was pathetic because we weren't in the building and we aren't in the same conference. I'll concede that the two rivalries don't even close to compare, but many Arkansas fans hate Texas like USC and ND hate each other. That's where I draw my comparison. And yes, they almost play every year, but we also play Texas damn near every year. Not in bball, but we schedule football games frequently. If we didn't play hadn't played Texas at all since we left the SWC, I could see us not caring as much about Texas. But we play them enough to keep our "hate fire" burning, so to speak.

Key distiction:  " Arkansas fans hate Texas like Nd and Usc HATE EACH OTHER ". 

Thats another thing that bugs be.  This whole Ar/Tx hatred thing is so one sided it is almost comical.  Would a UT fan ever say that beating the Hogs makes their season? 

Sao Ming

I swear, some of you guys need to PM Wayne.  You have Olive Branch written all over you.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 26, 2008, 12:17:00 pm

San, you are DEAD wrong on this.  DEAD wrong.  Put yourself in my shoes and ask yourself "Does Sao ever get raked over the coals by Texas fans for being an Arkansas fan?"

Dude, come off the hill every once in a while.  Get out.  Explore.  You'll soon find being an "Arkie" fan around here invites all manner of conversation.  Just ask any UT fan in Arkansas!

I have 2 cousins who live in Dallas, visit with them quite often.  My uncle lives in Lubbock.  In all my visits to the Lone Star State, always wearing a Arkansas shirt of some type, I have never, not one time, had anyone say anything to me about beaing a Razorback, or a Razorback fan.  You know why?  Because, other than when we are actually playing, THEY DON'T CARE!  They want to beat A&M and OU.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 25, 2008, 05:24:18 pm
What would you do if you were at a Raiders-Broncos game? Both teams have rivalries against the Chiefs. Would you boo both teams?

I went to a Phillies-Giants game last season in Philadelphia. As a Pirates fan, should I have been booing Cole Hamels the entire game?

(Or, as a Pirates fan, should I have been whimpering over the complete inepitude of the team's front office and the inability to put a winning team on the field for 15 seasons?)

Why would a Chiefs fan pay NFL ticket-price money to go watch two teams he despises?  There is nobody to root for.  That was a silly question.

cmakrzrbak

The following PSA is brought to you by true Hog Fans who were raised with one constant, one mantra, two words to live by.

F*ck Texas

That is all
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Sao Ming

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 12:26:56 pm
I have 2 cousins who live in Dallas, visit with them quite often.  My uncle lives in Lubbock.  In all my visits to the Lone Star State, always wearing a Arkansas shirt of some type, I have never, not one time, had anyone say anything to me about beaing a Razorback, or a Razorback fan.  You know why?  Because, other than when we are actually playing, THEY DON'T CARE!  They want to beat A&M and OU.

Welp.  I've been corrected.  Your visits trump my 36 years.  You win.  You are right.  Bowing out.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: BloodRedHog on March 25, 2008, 06:41:09 pm
Brummett is dead-on with the following....

"Here's the thing about this Arkansas obsession with Texas: Texas doesn't give a rip and never did.

Even when we were in the same collegiate sports conference as Texas, the Longhorn invested more emotion in Oklahoma and Texas A&M. We were their Tulsa, maybe their TCU."

It makes all of Arkansas look small and childish when we do this...we are in the SEC not the SWC..geesh, grow up people.

Looks small and childish to who?  How reported was this story?  Basically to the Texas and Arkansas fan bases.  We already have concluded we don't care what Texas thinks and the Arkansas base is....us.  So, what point is this making?  You think Bama fans are talking about us booing Texas?

Hogginitall

Quote from: SpareRib on March 26, 2008, 12:22:45 pm
I'm not a fan of Brummett's condescensions on ... pick a topic.  I do however think he makes a point here.

Texas came here as our guests, not as our opponents.  Guests should be treated with hospitality and given a cordial welcome.  That's the classy thing to do.  Never mind what their coach said before arriving - joke or otherwise.  To get sucked into a fight based on his remarks just makes us look like fools.  They are our guests.

To sit in the stands and boo the Texas folks when we are hosts and not competitors is low class, eighth grade stuff.  It makes us look small.

I'm no fan of irrational hatred.  I'm not above hate, but try to save it for when it counts.

I guess Texas fans are "small" too, huh?  They did the same thing in '95.  You guys just don't make sense. 

hogsanity

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2008, 12:37:21 pm

Fandom is based on emotional ties to a team, program, school etc.  Emotionally, I enjoy winning championships and playing for championships.  Secondly, I like beating teams I dislike and Texas tops that list.  That is the same for the majority of Hog fans.  Its what makes sports fun.  Why does that bother you so much? 

Your line about Texas topping your list is what bothers me.  We are in the sec, 11 SEC teams should be on the top of the list.  We can not win titles without beating SEC teams.  We can win titles without beating Texas.  We can actually win titles without even playing Texas.

SpareRib

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 26, 2008, 12:40:36 pm
I guess Texas fans are "small" too, huh?  They did the same thing in '95.  You guys just don't make sense. 

If someone does something that offends you, do you always try to "one up" them, or can you take the high road?  95 was 13 years ago.  I'm over it.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 12:41:10 pm
Your line about Texas topping your list is what bothers me.  We are in the sec, 11 SEC teams should be on the top of the list.  We can not win titles without beating SEC teams.  We can win titles without beating Texas.  We can actually win titles without even playing Texas.

Georgia could win titles without playing Georgia Tech, South Carolina could win titles without playing Clemson, USC could win titles without playing USC, etc.

It's not about that and you apparently don't understand....

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2008, 12:37:21 pm
Hog fans, myself included, aren't deranged.  I'd rather lose to Texas than trade a win for an SEC loss if that loss would cost us the SECW.  If we couldn't win the West, absolutely I'd rather beat Texas and lose an SEC game if I had to trade one for the other if it meant finishing 4-4 vs 5-3 in the SEC.

I concur with this statement.  If we weren't going to win the division swapping a win over Texas over almost any other team in the SEC would be a good swap.  A win over Texas will definitely be on national TV. Texas will almost assuredly be in the top 10.  It would be better for rankings, national press, and as a result, bowl shopping.  Now would I rather beat Texas and finish 2nd in the SEC West or lose to Texas and win the SEC West?  Of course not. I would take a divisional title over a Texas win every time.  But it makes rational sense to say a win over Texas is better than a win over South Carolina if you aren't going to win the division anyway.

Hogginitall

Quote from: SpareRib on March 26, 2008, 12:48:13 pm
If someone does something that offends you, do you always try to "one up" them, or can you take the high road?  95 was 13 years ago.  I'm over it.

Fans from rival schools do it all the time.  It's not about "taking the high road".  It's just booing another team. 

I went to the Ole Miss game this past season and hung out in the grove.  While we were there, we called the Hogs.  After one of the Hog calls, a couple of Mississippi State fans came over and asked us how to do it.  Their team wasn't playing there, but they cheered against Ole Miss and wanted to learn how to do the Hog call, just to spite the Ole Miss fans around.  Now, you can debate whether or not they were just losers, but the point is the same.  This is not something that is unique to Arkansas fans.  I'm pretty sure any fan of a rival school would cheer against their rival, no matter who they were playing or where.  It's part of being a fan.

Trottsky

As earlier posters noted, Brummett only writes stuff like that so he'll get noticed.

Plus, the contrarian point of view makes for an easy column. Believe me, it's tough to come up with a decent column by every deadline, and if there's easy meat, a seasoned hack like Johnny Ray will wrap his jowls around it faster than Wally can mangle a metaphor.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 12:23:42 pm
Key distiction:  " Arkansas fans hate Texas like Nd and Usc HATE EACH OTHER ". 

Thats another thing that bugs be.  This whole Ar/Tx hatred thing is so one sided it is almost comical.  Would a UT fan ever say that beating the Hogs makes their season? 

I agree with that, too. Not completely one-sided, but more on the Arkansas side, that's for sure. But the Texas fans don't like us, either, and know how we feel about them. Bottom line, IMO, is that this is really a lot less serious that many are making it out to be. Just a little good-natured ribbing for some folks with whom we have a traditional rivalry. Most of the Texas fans laughed it off, they know the story...no big deal. As for the stuff alleged in another thread on this board, i.e. two grown men tell a little Texas girl that she is going to hell is scumbaggishness to the millionth degree. THAT is being an ungracious host, to say the very least. THAT is representing Arkansas with zero class.
Go away, batin'

hawgapalooza

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2008, 12:26:56 pm
what people are not understanding is that it is not about booing texas.  booing teams you dont like is a part of sports.  but, did we play texas there? and if we actually had a rivalry with texas-well okay. but there is no rivalry outside of the state of arkansas.  especially in texas.  texans are not belittling arkansas by not recognizing a rivalry.  on the same token...the aggies/longhorns rivalry is more of the aggies hating the horns, and the horns hate the sooners more than the aggies.  what's even more odd is all these people on here who post about how they kinda like the aggies.  um HELLOOOO.  this is who our new texas rival will be.  perhaps you should learn to turn your thumb down instead of your horns.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hawgapalooza on March 26, 2008, 04:17:04 pm
  what people are not understanding is that it is not about booing texas.  booing teams you dont like is a part of sports.  but, did we play texas there? and if we actually had a rivalry with texas-well okay. but there is no rivalry outside of the state of arkansas.  especially in texas.  texans are not belittling arkansas by not recognizing a rivalry.  on the same token...the aggies/longhorns rivalry is more of the aggies hating the horns, and the horns hate the sooners more than the aggies.  what's even more odd is all these people on here who post about how they kinda like the aggies.  um HELLOOOO.  this is who our new texas rival will be.  perhaps you should learn to turn your thumb down instead of your horns.

We will.  Or, I will.  Can you please explain to me what happened in Austin in '95?  Why did all those Texans boo us?  We weren't playing them, we weren't in their conference anymore, and they're not supposed to even recognize a rivalry with Arkansas (at least that's what Texas fans say...and Hogsanity).  So, why were they making our life miserable in Austin? 

hawgapalooza

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 26, 2008, 04:55:00 pm
We will.  Or, I will.  Can you please explain to me what happened in Austin in '95?  Why did all those Texans boo us?  We weren't playing them, we weren't in their conference anymore, and they're not supposed to even recognize a rivalry with Arkansas (at least that's what Texas fans say...and Hogsanity).  So, why were they making our life miserable in Austin? 

it's called a generation gap. and 13 years.  listen...i live in texas and work all over texas and tennessee.  you wanna hear people talk crap about the hogs?  well i hear it more in tenn than EVER in texas.  thats due to arkansas being in the sec now since 91.  obviously  more hog haters in texas fresh from the old rivalry then....than now since the hogs are in the sec. 

i personally feel the aggie rivalry will be much more volatile.  I'm married to an aggie and therefore surrounded by their insanity.  Those guys love themselves to the point where they forget that there's a whole other world out there outside of that crapper college station. In my house...the aggie hog rivalry will be something else.  And I'm looking forward to it!!

idiotghos

March 26, 2008, 05:38:44 pm #197 Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:42:25 pm by idiotghos
why should we care what the longhorns think of the arkansas?  Why should we care what the rest of the country thinks of arkansas-texas?  They're still texas.  The ones who say otherwise are the ones with the inferiority complex in this case - afraid that we get looked down on for hating them. 

yraciv

March 26, 2008, 06:05:06 pm #198 Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:07:38 pm by yraciv
Did they not do the exact same thing in 1995 in Austin?  I know we hate Texas more then they hate us, but to not admit it goes both ways is bs.  I'm sure Miami loved having us as a host.  Trust me in saying there are still traditional TX fans, that hate us as much as we hate them.

Robby H

I don't know what surprises me more. That a.) John Brummet still has a collumn or that b.) some people actually read it. Shocking, just shocking.
"Have you for so long eaten of the scraps from [Frank's] table that you've missed your God-Given right to something more!?!"   

-William Wallace, Scottish Rebel and Hogfan