Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

biggest recruiting flop(players we could'nt live without) any sport

Started by rangertaunton, March 18, 2008, 01:13:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rangertaunton

Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

badIntentions

Wasn't Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson big time recruits......
I can talk better than Lou Holtz with spoonfull of peanut butter in my mouth.

Amityvillehogger

If you read around a little, this topic has been discussed numerous times.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HedgeDweller

The running back from California.... Freddy something... had his name on the tip of my tounge just a second ago, now it's gone.  Shows how memorable his career was...

Bradley!  Freddy Bradley was his name.

rangertaunton

I apoligize for posting a topic that has been posted b4. Did'nt know it was illegal. I guess we need to take down the other 2,000 topics about NuttHugger and the oh I say other 10,000 posts about the Springdale bunch. Just trying to get everyones opinions. Must have been in Iraq or Afghanistan when this topic was last discussed. Sorry to offend you

Hawgballz

Quote from: rangertaunton on March 18, 2008, 01:13:30 pm
My vote goes to Gary Brashears

Brashears was the first name that jumped into my head when I read your title (before clicking on this topic).  I think he wins this contest hands down.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 18, 2008, 01:29:06 pm
If you read around a little, this topic has been discussed numerous times.

i think it will be ok to discuss again.  like ranger said there are always topics discussed.  this is one that will be discussed forever.

i would go with darnell robinson as well.

flagstaffhog

Quote from: raginwildfire on March 18, 2008, 01:29:59 pm
Ahmad Carroll...never really did anything special except set records for pass interference calls

I think your wrong Ragin - surely AC set a record in trash talking the opponent who just burned him.
Go HOGS Go!

peakhog

TrojanHog

I went with Brashears before opening the thread. 

Batman did well enough here to get drafted in the 1st round, so I don't know that he qualifies as a true bust.  Now as far as in the NFL, super bust.

He certainly leads in career smack talks after a routine tackle when we're down by 3 touchdowns though.

beansandtaters

I'd have to go with Feddie Barnett. Hell, he never even made it to campus but made Nutt's recruiting class look better more than once.

HoggyWayne

Quote from: TrojanHog on March 18, 2008, 03:24:11 pm
I went with Brashears before opening the thread. 

Batman did well enough here to get drafted in the 1st round, so I don't know that he qualifies as a true bust.  Now as far as in the NFL, super bust.

He certainly leads in career smack talks after a routine tackle when we're down by 3 touchdowns though.

You must not forget about Chris Houston and Matteral "the Grill" Richardson. They were pretty good shat talkers too.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

BCShogs

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2008, 04:29:18 pm
Injury totally changed his career.  If you want to include him you also have to include others who had career changing injuries like back in the 80s Billy Warren RB Newport.  HS All Amer who blew out his knee. 

Blowing out his knee didn't have anything to do with the fact that he couldn't throw it in the ocean. He could still jump out of the gym after he blew his knee out.

outlawhogeywells

pcrouch3809

Quote from: badIntentions on March 18, 2008, 01:18:35 pm
Wasn't Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson big time recruits......

And Darnell Robinson was still taken in the NBA draft.  I don't call that a bust.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

DOGALUM

Dexter Hebert...RB...was a big name that did nothing.  But his was due to a knee injury.  Chris Baker was a big nothing.  Dedrick Poole was way overrated.  Tyrone Henry washed out.  Robert Reed (sp?) sucked. 

I disagree on Olu.....true he didn't live up to the hype....but he was still a good player for those teams.  Landis "Romeo" Williams could jump out of the gym and OWNED in pickup games in the HYPER....but could never get over the nerves in real games. 

Damn......this list could go on and on.....
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

Oh yeah........What was the big lineman's name out of Southside 3 or 4 years or so back.  Quit...came back....quit again.   Big washout.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

pcrouch3809

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 18, 2008, 05:04:33 pm
Oh yeah........What was the big lineman's name out of Southside 3 or 4 years or so back.  Quit...came back....quit again.   Big washout.

Was that Derek Moore?

JShipCPA

Not sure about the Southside lineman's name...

it did, however, make me remember another recruiting flop - Derek Hood.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: JShipCPA on March 18, 2008, 05:16:40 pm
Not sure about the Southside lineman's name...

it did, however, make me remember another recruiting flop - Derek Hood.

Hood wasn't a complete flop. He didn't meet expectations, but Famutimi was much worse.

JShipCPA

Quote from: cshivley1 on March 18, 2008, 05:20:14 pm
Hood wasn't a complete flop. He didn't meet expectations, but Famutimi was much worse.

Agreed...  What about Clyde Fletcher???

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: JShipCPA on March 18, 2008, 05:22:44 pm
Agreed...  What about Clyde Fletcher???

terrible. i think preston cranford may have had more career points than fletcher

EastMemphisHog

djgaffer

Quote from: BCShogs on March 18, 2008, 04:40:12 pm
Blowing out his knee didn't have anything to do with the fact that he couldn't throw it in the ocean. He could still jump out of the gym after he blew his knee out.

This statement pretty much proves he didn't live up to expectations, but expectations were very high.  He was a better player than that.

As a sophomore, Olu shot over 39% from the 3 point line, and over 43% overall.  That's well within the ocean.  He was hindered by his knee, and the expectations of being a top 10 recruit.  We would have been better had he stayed.

Back to the original topic, it has to be Brashears.  A local "must get" that wound up at Dixie Junior College... the one in Utah.

rangertaunton

RustyNuts

steveagolfer

East TN HAWG

Jeff Savage was by far the biggest disappointment.  All world RB out of Plano.  Everyone wanted him.

Wes Craven

Quote from: rangertaunton on March 18, 2008, 01:37:08 pm
I apoligize for posting a topic that has been posted b4. Did'nt know it was illegal. I guess we need to take down the other 2,000 topics about NuttHugger and the oh I say other 10,000 posts about the Springdale bunch. Just trying to get everyones opinions. Must have been in Iraq or Afghanistan when this topic was last discussed. Sorry to offend you

I wouldn't worry about it buddy. Some people who have ZERO life are on here 24-7 and get pissed when you start a topic that may have previously existed because they have seen every post of every topic during their small miserable lives. Some people bring nothing in regard to positive content only complaining about others. Thanks for what you do.

JShipCPA

JShipCPA

While we're at it, how about RoJo???

Again, he chose us over the Longhorns...

CollinsvilleHawg

What Romeo (Landis) Williams from Tulsa????  We chose him over Shea Seals who went on to be all-world at Tulsa...not to mention he stuck it in our ear hole every time we played them...

Petrinohoggy

I think Willie Cutts takes the cake. Guy had more talent and a white powder problem.

I would say Fred Bledsoe; he was the big time DT we had been so desprete for.

moondog

Anyone in the past 10 years that Otus has written about. Truthfully, he gives recruiting a bad name.

keithh1999

Brashears has to be on the list... but Darnell Robinson? agreed that he wasn't what everyone hoped he would be, but not a bust.

Derek Hood? No way -- maybe not the All-American he was in HS, but no way.

I loved Lee Wilson. Not gifted athletically like Corliss, but I loved his hustle and desire.

Jeff Savage? Willie Cutts? Robert Reed? Yes, On the list. (Remember the hype about Reed -- "Can throw it 70 yards on his knees"?)
Pig Farmers are cool.

HoundHog

What was the all american center's name that Danny Ford recruited ? I think he played for the Hogs 1 year and transfered to UCA (I think). Would of been a great player.

mj4president

Olu Famatimi or however you spell it. McDonalds All American that would just jack up 3's and never make anything.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Carl Lazlo

ferrellhog

Calling Derek Hood a flop Show a lakc of respect and ignorance of razoback athletics .Thyat guy almost single handedly won nolans last sec championship .If we had him on this team  we would be unstoppable

navyhog24

steven hill? lol. a top 50 national recruited player. one of the top centers coming out. cant do anything but a block a shot sometimes

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: ferrellhog on March 19, 2008, 01:06:33 am
Calling Derek Hood a flop Show a lakc of respect and ignorance of razoback athletics .Thyat guy almost single handedly won nolans last sec championship .If we had him on this team  we would be unstoppable

Derek Hood played like a warrior.  HE did not have a lot of basketball skills but he had plenty of heart to make up for it.  Hood was not a bust.