Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UT coach Rick Barnes threatens the state of Arkansas......this is a throwdown!

Started by HOG RED UMP, March 17, 2008, 04:09:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bsking

Stop trying to act like that stupid orange thing on your uniforms is a cow.  We Razorbacks know what it really is and we also know what your mascot is....See if you can figure it out.

Wildhog

Then it was a terrible joke.

"I'm gonna buy my way out of playing in fayetteville...  We don't need the money here...  I'm being serious."

That's. Freaking. HILARIOUS.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

seb2000

This is hilarious to me...many years ago I went to Austin to see the Hogs in an NCAA regional and I have to say, the Texas fans were the rudest I have ever seen in a "neutral court" environment at an NCAA tournament event.  Hands down.  All they did was cheer against Arkansas...cheering when we would miss free throws, etc., etc.  Barnes do some homework on the past NCAA tournament sites and who has played where before you sling that crap around.

razorrog1

Quote from: turdferguson1 on March 20, 2008, 01:05:01 am
Maybe this will put an end to this crap:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/220190/
It won't, because most of us enjoy hating Texas.  Who doesn't like hating the perceived bad guy? Star Wars would be boring without Darth Vader.  American Idol would be nothing without Simon (so I'm told). Being a fan is enhanced by hatred of Texas.  It doesn't depend on it, but it does make it a little better. I almost want them to win a few games in the tourney, so the fall will be that much more disappointing to them.  I said "almost".  I really want them to lose every game they ever play in.  EVER!
WPS!!!!!!!!!!

farhan

Mark Lericos

I feel bad for Barnes. He's a hilarious cat.. I've talked with him a few times off camera... he's great. But he's also sarcastic and dry... and that NEVER translates in print.

Blown out of proportion. Coaches are so savvy these days (well most of them)... they'd never go for the throat like yet unless it's a joke.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on March 20, 2008, 03:06:54 pm
I feel bad for Barnes. He's a hilarious cat.. I've talked with him a few times off camera... he's great. But he's also sarcastic and dry... and that NEVER translates in print.

Blown out of proportion. Coaches are so savvy these days (well most of them)... they'd never go for the throat like yet unless it's a joke.
He may have been joking, but he is stupid for giving Arkansas fans a reason to hate them more.  I seriously doubt there would have been a problem if he had not said anything, but now I would not be suprised to see the game stopped when a beer bottle hits him in the side of the head.  God forbid they park their bus on the side of the street.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

slowride

Step back and take a look at the bigger picture.  If we boo these guys this year, they will get their revenge the next time we go to Austin for the ncaa tourney.  Or they will take it out on our football team this fall.  I suggest that if you go to the game you tone it down.  You can clap for Texas's opponent but don't get too loud.  We may regret it later.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 20, 2008, 04:38:03 pm
He may have been joking, but he is stupid for giving Arkansas fans a reason to hate them more.  I seriously doubt there would have been a problem if he had not said anything, but now I would not be suprised to see the game stopped when a beer bottle hits him in the side of the head.  God forbid they park their bus on the side of the street.

As if somehow Arkansas fans would have given them a pass if he'd been totally polite. Spare me.

Wildhog

Quote from: slowride on March 20, 2008, 04:57:39 pm
Step back and take a look at the bigger picture.  If we boo these guys this year, they will get their revenge the next time we go to Austin for the ncaa tourney.  Or they will take it out on our football team this fall.  I suggest that if you go to the game you tone it down.  You can clap for Texas's opponent but don't get too loud.  We may regret it later.

You honestly think they're not gonna try to kill us anyway?  They're not gonna go easy on us and we're sure as hell not gonna back down.  I won't regret a **** thing about treating them poorly.  Have a little pride.

We're not poor lil' ole arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

doo-ran

Quote from: slowride on March 20, 2008, 04:57:39 pm
We shouldn't fear anyone or any team. This defeatist attitude will get us nowhere.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Dropkick

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on March 20, 2008, 06:34:14 pm
  As if somehow Arkansas fans would have given them a pass if he'd been totally polite. Spare me.
No, but there is a difference between booing a team and slashing tires.  I think that by playing the "I'll take my ball and go home" game he is adding fuel to the fire, and things are now more likely to be taken too far. 

By the way, did I mention Tuck Fexas!  Go Hogs! the horns will get their's next year.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 21, 2008, 12:00:52 am
No, but there is a difference between booing a team and slashing tires.  I think that by playing the "I'll take my ball and go home" game he is adding fuel to the fire, and things are now more likely to be taken too far. 

By the way, did I mention Tuck Fexas!  Go Hogs! the horns will get their's next year.

Yeah they will.  Gonna give 'em a beating that they haven't known in a long time.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sao Ming

F THEM MARK!

Live around them for decades then tell us we should be cordial.

F THEM!

BTW...did you know you are inbred and toothless?  Sleep with your mother?  Poor?

Ask them.  They will tell you.

Oh yeah,  F THEM!

gohogsgo006

GO HOGGSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

(my battle cry before i go to sleep in case I never wake)
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Wildhog

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 21, 2008, 12:30:09 am
F THEM MARK!

Live around them for decades then tell us we should be cordial.

F THEM!

BTW...did you know you are inbred and toothless?  Sleep with your mother?  Poor?

Ask them.  They will tell you.

Seriously...I have no intentions of being cordial.  I've gotten that stuff too, and I was five years old when we left the SWC. 
They hate us.  They won't admit it.  They say we don't matter...but they hate us, and we're just as much a rival to them as they are to us, and Austin can burn for all I care.

1909/1964/1965/1977

HoopS

Folks, Sao lives around them as do I.  They truly believe they are better than you.  In every way.  We've never beaten them. Oh, they've come up short a number of times against us, but it was just because they "overlooked" us or just "weren't up" for our game.  Never a tip of the hat, you kicked our butts.  Never.   

I moved here with the intent of not hating them.  I even pulled for them when they beat Nebraska in the B12 Championship.  Then I listened to their hateful asses on the radio.  Even the older, nicer seeming ones.....they make excuses by the dozens when they lose.  Or all of the sudden they want to talk about something else and "don't you ever talk about other things other than sports?"  But let those fricks win. 

No.  Screw them. 

Wildhog

Quote from: HoopS on March 21, 2008, 01:19:56 am
Folks, Sao lives around them as do I.  They truly believe they are better than you.  In every way.  We've never beaten them. Oh, they've come up short a number of times against us, but it was just because they "overlooked" us or just "weren't up" for our game.  Never a tip of the hat, you kicked our butts.  Never.   

I moved here with the intent of not hating them.  I even pulled for them when they beat Nebraska in the B12 Championship.  Then I listened to their hateful asses on the radio.  Even the older, nicer seeming ones.....they make excuses by the dozens when they lose.  Or all of the sudden they want to talk about something else and "don't you ever talk about other things other than sports?"  But let those fricks win. 

No.  Screw them. 

EDITED FOR CONTENT. Smite me.  I don't care.  Tuck Fexas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BigDeal

I can't think of much that would be more gratifying than Texas losing to Austin Peay and Arkansas getting the blame for it.

Horns Nation

Quote from: razorrog1 on March 20, 2008, 11:54:43 am
It won't, because most of us enjoy hating Texas.  Who doesn't like hating the perceived bad guy? Star Wars would be boring without Darth Vader.  American Idol would be nothing without Simon (so I'm told). Being a fan is enhanced by hatred of Texas.  It doesn't depend on it, but it does make it a little better. I almost want them to win a few games in the tourney, so the fall will be that much more disappointing to them.  I said "almost".  I really want them to lose every game they ever play in.  EVER!
WPS!!!!!!!!!!

Let me give you folks a little lesson in human nature.... It is a natural response to show disdain for a superior group.  Usually this disdain is manifested by associating the superior group with some sort of malicious behavior because it is a more personally painful notion to accept the fact that it is really just jealousy.  This tendency is particularly true when the inferior group may have some level of accomplishment in it's own right, but at the end of the day, it can never quite stack up to the superior group.

So in this case we hae an excellent example.  Arkansas has hung a few heads on the wall here and there, but ultimately it just can't match UT in terms of academics, tradition, and all around athletic prowess (pick a sport and UT is great at it).  So the anguish created in the Razorback fan by all of this forces him to cloak his jealousy in accusations of UT arrogance and some sort of evil.  The fact is that you would feel the same pride if you were the best.  A&M and OU suffer this same problem.  In a sense it is a testament to these schools own accomplishments, because third tier schools like tech, etc are too far off to feel this jealousy (yes that was a very backhanded compliment).

Whiskey River

What would be cool is for the fans to start "calling the hogs" during his game. Looking like Texas is gonna get to play a second game, so maybe something to think about for any Hog fans that plan on attending the next game.
This species has amused itself to death...

PorkSoda

Quote from: Horns Nation on March 21, 2008, 04:44:37 pm
Let me give you folks a little lesson in human nature.... It is a natural response to show disdain for a superior group.  Usually this disdain is manifested by associating the superior group with some sort of malicious behavior because it is a more personally painful notion to accept the fact that it is really just jealousy.  This tendency is particularly true when the inferior group may have some level of accomplishment in it's own right, but at the end of the day, it can never quite stack up to the superior group.

So in this case we hae an excellent example.  Arkansas has hung a few heads on the wall here and there, but ultimately it just can't match UT in terms of academics, tradition, and all around athletic prowess (pick a sport and UT is great at it).  So the anguish created in the Razorback fan by all of this forces him to cloak his jealousy in accusations of UT arrogance and some sort of evil.  The fact is that you would feel the same pride if you were the best.  A&M and OU suffer this same problem.  In a sense it is a testament to these schools own accomplishments, because third tier schools like tech, etc are too far off to feel this jealousy (yes that was a very backhanded compliment).
Wow, Talk about over analysis.  It's called a rivalry.  We hate Texas because you are Texas not because of jealousy.  Who has won the 3 of the last 4 time we played in Football?  I would bet that Mack Brown would have been fired instead of getting a 10 year extension if Matt Jones had not fumbled the ball.

RhodeHog

No, that's not it at all really.  We just hate Texas, pure and simple.  The reason: because you're the Texass Longwhorns!

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

jwaldhog

If you could pull your head out of Bevo's ass you'd see how idiotic you are.

Horns Nation

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 21, 2008, 05:16:49 pm
Wow, Talk about over analysis.  It's called a rivalry.  We hate Texas because you are Texas not because of jealousy.  Who has won the 3 of the last 4 time we played in Football?  I would bet that Mack Brown would have been fired instead of getting a 10 year extension if Matt Jones had not fumbled the ball.

It's a strong rivalry in one direction, and a lesser rivalry in the other (again true with A&M and OU as well).  But certainly I enjoy it as a rivalry...

MusicCityHog75

Quote from: Horns Nation on March 21, 2008, 06:19:48 pm
It's a strong rivalry in one direction, and a lesser rivalry in the other (again true with A&M and OU as well).  But certainly I enjoy it as a rivalry...

Texans are SO ignorant!  There precious SWC fell apart when we left.  With the exception of the Heath years (2 games I believe) we OWNED them in BB for the past 20 YEARS!  We beat them the last time we played them in the SWC in FB and BB.  We have beat them...or should I say...we have kicked there asses all over austin and dallas.  We have much BETTER FACILITIES!!!!  We are in a better conference!!!!!  We did not lose the ALamo to MEXICO, and George Bush is NOT from Arkansas....why the hell would we be jealous of TX??????

slowride

Yes, you're right.  In the past, we had a better program.  We are not in a better basketball conference, at least this year.  They were #2 in the rpi.  Though we might gain some ground if we have teams go further in the tourney.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

mj4president

Texas= Best Ass state with tons of talent and yet they still can't beat us. Come to the SEC and they would be just another team.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

ToY

Thanks for the support guys.    We're off to the Sweet 16.    :P

dakpowers

UltraRedDeltaNinjaForce

March 23, 2008, 10:30:52 pm #236 Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:36:20 pm by UltraRedDeltaNinjaForce
By beating Austin Peay and Miami.

Congratulations. Now enjoy your loss to Stanford.

Too bad the Hogs didn't get a chance to beat Texas this year...

dakpowers

Quote from: UltraRedDeltaNinjaForce on March 23, 2008, 10:30:52 pm
By beating Austin Peay and Mississippi State (a team the Hogs beat handedly at Fayetteville earlier this year).

Congratulations. Now enjoy your loss to Stanford.
(psst... it was Miami FL)

UltraRedDeltaNinjaForce

ToY

You usually get an easy draw in the first 2 rounds when you're a top seed.   Just ask North Carolina!   :P

Hawgzilla

Quote from: ToY on March 23, 2008, 11:00:53 pm
You usually get an easy draw in the first 2 rounds when you're a top seed.   Just ask North Carolina!   :P

Your right about that........I remember when we were in the SWC,we always had a easy draw when we played Texass.......Even enjoyed puttin the teasips out of the big dance........... :-\

BigDeal

Quote from: ToY on March 23, 2008, 11:00:53 pm
You usually get an easy draw in the first 2 rounds when you're a top seed.   Just ask North Carolina!   :P

I for one appreciate your presence here.  In the past, there seems to have been a lot of unwarranted hate towards Arkansas' neighbor and storied basketball program Memphis on this board. Hopefully these people will see the light and root for Memphis should Texas luck out and beat Stanford on Friday.

Razor6

I hope Rick Barnes will go ahead and manipulate his schedule for next year.
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Bacon The Saddle Again

Like Frank Broyles or not, his comment tripped me out.  "I didn't think Texas envied anyone.  I guess they envy us."  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  The old man was spry back in his day, I tell ya.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kitshicker

Quote from: RhodeHog on March 21, 2008, 05:23:13 pm
No, that's not it at all really.  We just hate Texas, pure and simple.  The reason: because you're the Texass Longwhorns!
I hear that!! I don't care if Texass was the bottom feeders of every sport. I'd still hate them.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: kitshicker on March 24, 2008, 01:28:15 pm
I hear that!! I don't care if Texass was the bottom feeders of every sport. I'd still hate them.

That's why we've won 3 of the last 4 despite being outmatched.  As long as we make it a huge rivalry and they see it as nothing more than a nuisance, we'll continue to have success against them. 

slowride

I say let's not wait for Rick Barnes to make a decision.  Let's make it for him.  Let's cancel this game or postpone it like we did in football.  I don't think we would be able to put up much of a fight.  Look at what happened against NC. 

sooieet

My guess is that he was serious until someone higher up the ladder explained to him how inappropriate his comments were.  The fans from these two programs may hate each other, but I think the admins from both universities have always had a great respect for each other.