Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball skirt...err, I mean shorts

Started by EastexHawg, March 16, 2008, 10:54:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Okay, I have to say it.

As I was watching Georgetown play West Virginia a couple of days ago, I couldn't help but notice how ridiculously long their "shorts" were.

Since when did it become cool...or manly...to play basketball wearing freaking culottes?

"Hey, coach, these shorts aren't near long or baggy enough.  We want to look like M.C. Hammer...or Mary Poppins!"

McKdaddy

March 16, 2008, 10:59:00 am #1 Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:02:59 am by McKdaddy
People that live in glass houses . . .

Eastex that was us in the mid and late 90's too.  Remember how Kareem Reid had that same culotts look?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hogblade

Arkansas practically invented the baggy shorts style!

EastexHawg

I'm not just ripping on Georgetown.  I'm talking about men playing basketball in calf length skirts in general. 

I just hope someone doesn't get the idea that it would be cool to jump step or crossover dribble wearing a kilt...or a tu tu.

MDH

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 16, 2008, 11:04:36 am
I'm not just ripping on Georgetown.  I'm talking about men playing basketball in calf length skirts in general. 

I just hope someone doesn't get the idea that it would be cool to jump step or crossover dribble wearing a kilt...or a tu tu.

Kilts and Bagpipes, that's what we need at Bud Walton ;)
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

LuckyGiraffe

I distinctly remember Al Dillard's shorts coming just above the top of his shoes!

Flying Razorback

That's right, most people give Nolan and Arkansas credit for making the baggy short look mainstream and acceptable at the college level.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

passinghog

Michigan's Fab 5 and Arkansas are the "pioneers" (lol) of longer, more comfortable shorts in college basketball.

McKdaddy

Quote from: bbrj on March 16, 2008, 12:53:42 pm
I distinctly remember Dillaird draining threes with nobody caring what the shorts fit like.  When players start pulling on them during action, it's time to re-consider length.
They do.  Watch as players get ready to hunker down for some 1-on-1 D.  When they crouch down to get ready to guard somone on the wings, they'll usually pull their shorts up at the knee / lower quad area to above the knee, almost is if they are saying "now I'm ready."  Of course the shorts fall right back down over the knee.
Like most I don't care what length the shorts are so long as we are winning ballgames.  To Pel be the glory.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

RedRiverHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 16, 2008, 02:43:19 pm
At what point do they stop being shorts and start being capri pants (aka man-pris)?

Above the knees = shorts
Below the knees = man-pris
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

fiercefiasco

Quote from: hawgfan923 on March 16, 2008, 12:34:39 pm
I distinctly remember Al Dillard's shorts coming just above the top of his shoes!
They sure didn't affect his shot.  I loved watching him sink it from the anywhere past half court.

LuckyGiraffe

Yeah when he got to the Hog's tongue his shot was fair game.

Wes Craven

All the old timers need to get past the shorts issue. Do you guys want to see the days of the Nutt Hugging shorts that John Stockton and Larry Bird used to wear return. I gotta tell ya I don't want to be able to see a guys package when he makes a move to the lane. Those shorts were much more ridiculous than the bigger version players now wear.

Cletus

Quote from: MDH on March 16, 2008, 11:31:38 am
Kilts and Bagpipes, that's what we need at Bud Walton ;)

That could easily be arranged. ;D
See, what had happened was........

akp4105

Tight tops and baggy long shorts are the style right now..Nike and Jordan both do this with their uni's

Wes Craven

hoopitup3

I hate the tight jerseys/baggy shorts look that Syracuse, Texas, Florida etc have. I think the jerseys the hogs have with just normal jerseys and shorts look best.

Foots

I like the setup Texas, Syracuse, and Florida have. Nothing wrong with the long shorts. They're more comfortable. The tight looking top actually gives you better upper body mobility with the sleeves cut off. Kind of like an Under Armor top with baggy shorts.

hogsanity

The first time I see shorts like that on the golf course, someone is getting a 3iron lined right into their group. 

Also, the first time soe guy loses the ball because he dribbles between the legs, and the ball hangs on the crotch of his man-pris( Scott that was great ) the coach should just get scissors out of the trainers case, and cut them all up, oh wait, didn't that happen to Welsh today?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Boar War

Until they start becoming a problem with ball control I could care less.

jkstock04

I honestly don't see how long baggy shorts don't hinder playing style...some on here are saying it's more comfortable that way...but I just dont see how.  I think this is much more of a ghetto/pop culture thing going on here than a comfort thing...thats pretty obvious to me. 

Theres just no way in my mind that a guy can be as mobile/agile wearing his shorts like that.  If that were the case then how do you explain what guys wear running track??  You sure as hell don't see them wearing their shorts like that, in fact they often wear tights...why do you think that is??  Probably cause it would slow them down if they were wearing shorts three times their size down to their ankles.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TrojanHog

I found a picture of Al Dillard and his shorts seem normal in this picture, but the Ark player in the background who I don't know, is wearing some super long shorts.

http://www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=233206&epmid=2&partner=Google

I don't have a problem with long shorts.  If the players are comfortable, who cares? If it doesn't affect their play, who cares?

cityhog

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on March 17, 2008, 10:43:33 am
Looks like Roger Crawford.

beat me to it.  It is.  #31.  That '94 season was such a season of destiny.  We lose #31 in the first game of the tourney.  We wear his # on our jersey for the rest of the NCAAT.  31 was also the # of wins we needed to win the NC.  Always thought that was cool.

EastexHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2008, 01:00:36 am
I honestly don't see how long baggy shorts don't hinder playing style...some on here are saying it's more comfortable that way...but I just dont see how.  I think this is much more of a ghetto/pop culture thing going on here than a comfort thing...thats pretty obvious to me. 

Theres just no way in my mind that a guy can be as mobile/agile wearing his shorts like that.  If that were the case then how do you explain what guys wear running track??  You sure as hell don't see them wearing their shorts like that, in fact they often wear tights...why do you think that is??  Probably cause it would slow them down if they were wearing shorts three times their size down to their ankles.

Ding.  Ding.  Ding.  We have a winner.

The idea that players today are wearing culottes because they are more comfortable or somehow improve their speed and mobility is ridiculous.

MinowBucket

How are shorts that come several inches past your knee more comfortable? Theres no way. I understand baggy shorts are more comfortable, but not longer shorts, that makes no sense. Has nothing to do with comfort once the length is 2 or 3 inches below your knee. They are going for a certain look not comfort.

TrojanHog

I'm not really sure how the length of the players shorts is really any of our concern, but here is something that we should all be focused on the eradication of:

BANANA HAMMOCK

It's starting to warm up and many of us will be headed to lakes, beaches, and other various water attractions and the last thing we need to see is banana hammock guy.

I bet you'd all rather see him in the long shorts than the, umm, yeah...

MinowBucket

Quote from: TrojanHog on March 17, 2008, 12:10:11 pm
I'm not really sure how the length of the players shorts is really any of our concern, but here is something that we should all be focused on the eradication of:

BANANA HAMMOCK

It's starting to warm up and many of us will be headed to lakes, beaches, and other various water attractions and the last thing we need to see is banana hammock guy.

I bet you'd all rather see him in the long shorts than the, umm, yeah...

I will agree with you on the Banana Hammock is much worse!!!!!!

Shuga Town HEMI

Quote from: RedRiverHog on March 16, 2008, 02:57:45 pm
Above the knees = shorts
Below the knees = man-pris

actually...

above the knee = underwear/boxers
below the knee = shorts
middle of the shin = capris

the same applies for capri's no matter what, but I'm short so all my shorts have always been below the knee.

Foots

Quote from: Shuga Town HEMI on March 17, 2008, 12:53:50 pm
actually...

above the knee = underwear/boxers
below the knee = shorts
middle of the shin = capris

the same applies for capri's no matter what, but I'm short so all my shorts have always been below the knee.

I'm 6'5" and can hardly find shorts that make it TOO my knees, and that's where I like them, right at knee level or just below. I usually have to go with an 11 or 12 inch inseam in the shorts.

hogsanity

Quote from: Foots on March 17, 2008, 12:59:26 pm
I'm 6'5" and can hardly find shorts that make it TOO my knees, and that's where I like them, right at knee level or just below. I usually have to go with an 11 or 12 inch inseam in the shorts.

May I ask what the point is of wearing shorts that go BELOW the knee?  Might as well just go for knickers or pants at that length.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NuttinItUp

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 16, 2008, 10:54:40 am
Since when did it become cool...or manly...to play basketball wearing freaking culottes?
You haven't seen much basketball since the mid 90s have you?

kgr

Don't like them, but then I would go back to a jump ball on tie ups or even jump balls after every basket like the good Dr. intended.

razorrog1

Check out ESPN Classic right now with Duke and Louisville playing in '86. 
When it comes to the cod huggers, just say "NO!"

HogNuttz

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2008, 12:02:50 am
The first time I see shorts like that on the golf course, someone is getting a 3iron lined right into their group. 

Also, the first time soe guy loses the ball because he dribbles between the legs, and the ball hangs on the crotch of his man-pris( Scott that was great ) the coach should just get scissors out of the trainers case, and cut them all up, oh wait, didn't that happen to Welsh today?

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2008, 01:00:36 am

This thread is great.

I'm a white guy approaching middle age and I wear these shorts for three reasons.
1) Their comfortable
2) I guess I'm just modest and don't like showing too much leg :)
3) Unless you want extremely plain shorts, probably without pockets, this is about all you can get anymore.  I need pockets to hold my mp3 player while at the gym.  I don't do arm straps.

I wear these shorts, but not to golf in.  However, I would gladly aim a shot back at your group almost guaranteeing the saftey of everyone.  Also, unlike hammer pants, they don't connect at the knees, they still connect in the crotch so you can dribble between them quite easy.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HogNuttz

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2008, 04:16:46 pm
May I ask what the point is of wearing shorts that go BELOW the knee?  Might as well just go for knickers or pants at that length.

Knicker please.

I thought knickers were basically the same as bloomers.  You know the piece of clothing cheerleaders and such wear under their skirts that is basically like colored granny panties.

Kinda like this.  Enjoy the picture.

Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

razorrog1

Quote from: HogNuttz on March 17, 2008, 04:59:23 pm
Knicker please.

I thought knickers were basically the same as bloomers.  You know the piece of clothing cheerleaders and such wear under their skirts that is basically like colored granny panties.

Kinda like this.  Enjoy the picture.

+1. 
Just because, OK?!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawg2011 on March 17, 2008, 05:01:55 pm
How old are you? Geeze..most people wear shorts right below the knee. No one wears them above the knee except people that live in retirement homes. That and those guys who enjoy dramas a lil more than most. At your shins is farrr to long for basketball..but right below the knee is the norm.

Old enough to wonder why men want to wear capri pants/culottes...and try to act like they grew up in the ghetto...while playing basketball.

I bet Vanilla Ice would be wearing shin length, baggy shorts while rapping about poppin' a cap on a brotha with his 9 if he was still around today.  But I guess he is back roaming the mean streets of Carrollton, Texas now.

LOL.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Hawg2011 on March 17, 2008, 05:01:55 pm
How old are you? Geeze..most people wear shorts right below the knee. No one wears them above the knee except people that live in retirement homes. That and those guys who enjoy dramas a lil more than most. At your shins is farrr to long for basketball..but right below the knee is the norm.

I don't live in a retirement home! I like my shorts above the knee...........
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on March 17, 2008, 07:18:28 pm
I don't live in a retirement home! I like my shorts above the knee...........
You have to say "I do not live in a retirement home and am not gay...." for a statement like that. (not saying there is anything wrong with either of those things, but still...)

Bigfoot

My guess is that the baggy shorts are easier to play basketball in.

crowe6_1

Man, It's really easy to tell when there's nothing important to discuss.  C'mon people, everybody wears their shorts however they want to. Does it really matter? I know people who wear different than other people I know. It's all about personal preference. I'm a bigger guy, so not only for my preference, but for the people around me, I wear shorts just below my knees. But still, I'm not gonna worry about the guy next to me wearing their shorts at a different length.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 16, 2008, 10:54:40 am
You haven't seen much basketball since the mid 90s have you?

razorbak

Jordan played in the era of short shorts. But he kept buying bigger pair or having his altered to make them longer. NC coach made him stop lengthening them, but when MJ went to the NBA and became a superstar, he was free to wear 'em as long and loose as he wanted. It progressed from there.

Thank Michael Jordan and the ghetto-gangster mentality of others for the ridiculous bloomers worn today. 

And thank Patrick Ewing for starting the equally ridiculous long-sleeved T-shirts worn under the uniform top.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

Newcoachplease

who remembers the "big nasty" brand shorts by corliss?

Those things would hang down to your ankles even if you had them around your neck!

after we won a NC, everyone at recess was wearing those! It was awesome!

valpocrusader

There were many times I thought Kareem Reid had pants on out there.  The '94 team looked good wearing them because 1. that was a fairly new look.  The SI championship edition describes them as baggy-pants wearing and tattoo-bearing.  Now it's the norm.  2. they were winning wearing them

valpocrusader

And Foots, no matter what shorts you got on, you will look bad, and it won't help your game.  You got owned Sunday!

Wes Craven

You old guys need to get over it. I do not want to see some 6'9" basketball player with a 10" Johnson wearing shorts so tight you could do a portrait of his piece. It is the same reason baggy jeans are worn they are more comfortable. Not to many people running around in wranglers anymore.

Those old time basketball shorts were ridiculous and yes gay. It isn't a race issue or a "ghetto" issue like most of you who know 2 black people would call it. It is mainly a youth issue. None of us want to look like Eddie in Christmas Vacation with his skin tight baby blue leisure suit with a 10" Dong flashing loud and proud.

Foots

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2008, 04:16:46 pm
I have boney ass knees because I'm so skinny and I don't like to see them lol. I don't want them to be halfway down between the knee and the ankle, just maybe an inch below the knee, if not right at it. It has nothing to do with style or looking "ghetto". That's just the way I prefer.

Foots

Quote from: valpocrusader on March 18, 2008, 12:45:57 am
And Foots, no matter what shorts you got on, you will look bad, and it won't help your game.  You got owned Sunday!
You're just lucky you were on my team. Next time, it will be you getting the t-bagging. That way, you'll have a reason to go play catch with the girls.

EastexHawg

Is Allen Iverson and old timer, or living in a retirement home? 

LOL.

Here are two links to photos of Georgetown basketball...one of Iverson when he was a Hoya, and one from this past weekend.  I can't find a shot of one of a player standing on the court to show the length of the shorts today, but notice that the guy on the right in the bench shot is wearing shorts that are below his knee while he is sitting down...meaning they must go well below his knee when he is standing up.  Iverson, meanwhile, is wearing shorts that hang to just above his knee.

As for the "old timer, skin tight shorts" comments, two things:

1.  Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, or Bill Russell would absolutely school and wear out any of the current ghetto cool ballers at Georgetown, Michigan, Arkansas, or any other program in America..."gay" old man shorts or not; and

2.  You know, there is something between wearing skin tight boxer briefs and culottes.  It is POSSIBLE to wear shorts that are loose, but can't double as a parachute if a wing happens to fall off the plane in flight.  There have actually BEEN shorts made...hard as it is to believe...that hang somewhere between the bottom of the crotch and mid shin, a length that I believe is referred to by WOMEN as "T-length", and best suited to a skirt to be worn with go-go boots.

http://www.kicksguide.com/images/Reebok/Question/allen_iverson_georgetown_hoyas.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/photo?photoId=1867715&teamId=46