Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the basketball team

Started by trashcan maN, January 16, 2008, 03:15:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

I'm on the other side of the country, and haven't gotten to see the Hogs play this year.  What do we look like?  Are we still pretty dominant on the boards?  Are we still a little slow running the floor?  All of you who follow basketball closely know that the stats don't always tell the story.  I'm basically just asking what's going on between the stat lines. 

p.s. Why did we lose to App State?

LordStanleysHog

you'd be better off asking this question in the jump ball forum...

aar0n

I know nothing of this... basketball? you speak of.  Is that like football with baskets involved somehow?  I'm not sure I understand

trashcan maN

Oh, sorry..Mods, can you move it for me?

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Verdict is still out in my opinion, we look like world beaters for awhile then we seem to get careless and start turning the ball over.  It is definately better than last year, but it's gonna take some time to get all the pieces in place.......

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

claycohog

We are not shooting the ball well at all so far this year.  When are shots start to fall we may have something.

Reservoir Hogs

Pel has installed a new defensive toughness that I have never seen from this group of players.  That is definately our strength.  We are running the floor, but not as much as Pel would like, or as much as I expect us to once he gets his own recruits on the floor.  Non Conf was rough for Pbeb and Weems, but it seems as if they have both turned the corner as they have both played well in the first 2 SEC Games. 

Strengths
Defensive Pressure - Mixing up D's all the time, extending the floor and trapping/pressing a lot more.
Pbev's "motor" - kid is all over the place this year -  heard somewhere he is our leading rebounder
Inside Play - Townes is back to the Townes of his fresh year, callitng for the ball and making great post moves, Thomas and Michael Washington have both shown to be capable scorers as well.

Weakness
Gaurd Play - Ervin still cant dribble or make good decisions and is not even strating now.  Welsh has been starting at the point and doing alright - made some great passes against bama, still turns it over a lil too much.
Outside Shooting - No one has stepped up and consistantly made open 3's.  Pbev is our best, but he has been cold to start the season, as I mentioned earlier he has picked it up in SEC Play so far. 

I expect us to continue to improve and do OK in NCAA's depending on seeding.  Pel has definately brought this team together and they seem to enjoy playing with each other now.  He is a demanding coach (i.e New Years Eve Practice 11-2) but has gotten the teams attention and they are playing harder than they ever have wearing Hog jerseys.

just my 2cents
Lets see how the season turns out

WPS!