Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fans leaving.......at the start of OT!!!!!!!

Started by FootballHog, January 13, 2008, 10:43:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FootballHog

What.....the......hell.....

SEC home opener...OT game against a pretty good Bama team, and there were tons of fans leaving....

It's not like it was just a couple. I am talking about HUNDREDS.

Were these people just so used to Stan's teams losing (knowing they were probably going to lose)? There is no excuse. Did anyone else see this?

yraciv

It was ridiculous!  I felt like going Jared Lorenzen, "ya'll going to miss one hell of a game."

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: FootballHog on January 13, 2008, 10:43:00 pm

SEC home opener...OT game against a pretty good Bama team, and there were tons of fans leaving....

Were these people just so used to Stan's teams losing (knowing they were probably going to lose)? There is no excuse. Did anyone else see this?

NFL playoffs played a major, major role in attendence today.   Hell a lot of evening church services were postponed.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

chiefsfan

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

antonio65

hogfan446

I was furious watching those fans leaving at the start of overtime.  Not only that, Hundreds more left when there were only 35 seconds left and we were only up a couple????  First of all, how can you leave with the game up in the air like that and second, just how much faster do you think you are possibly going to get out of traffic by leaving just a couple minutes early?  If you aren't going to stay and cheer for the Hogs, then let someone else buy your tickets that will.   FRICK!!!!

condohog

We saw the same thing at the game. You just want to yell at them to sit back down.  If you have spent $20 on the ticket and 2 to 3 hours of your time already why not a extra 2 minutes to support the team. People were leaving with 15 seconds left. They can't even stay in their seat for the buzzer and cheer for a SEC win. Sad Sad sad... None of these people are probably on here anyway OH well

jschulte

Thing is... it seemed like the seats kinda packed in again about a min into OT.  I was ticked off.. but then it was almost as if they had came back in.

HogMavFan

Quote from: FootballHog on January 13, 2008, 10:43:00 pm

We weren't leaving. we just had to go to the bathroom.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 13, 2008, 10:48:53 pm
Try being a Dolphins fan  :'(

I'm right there with ya, at least we have the Big Tuna now.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Pigonometry

People used to leave Barnhill game ass the time back in my day (1986 to 1990) with the hogs up (or down) by two.  I never could understand it...............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Porky861

I had to leave and go to work.  But after listening to it on the drive home, I was thinking a firing would have been worth it!

hogs25

I truly believe without a doubt that Arkansas Basketball as we know is at a crossroads.  And I don't mean anything to do with Pel, that's not my point because it wouldn't matter if Phil Jackson was the coach.  It's all about entertainment period not two hours of boredom.  If we don't change up the atmosphere inside BWA, then you can stick a fork in the Bud.  It's done.  People used to go to games just to watch Jim Robkin run around like a mad man.  It all starts with the students and band and that'll take care of the rest.

HawgAdvocate

Yeah, it's a very vanilla atmosphere. Simple things could be done to be more entertaining, but the thinking is so old-school and unimaginative, any decent ideas are shot down by those who don't really care.

Prime example being Bubba Hog...fans get a kick out of him, but since he's prohibited from taking his shirt off, his whole act is now gone.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

3kgthog

After seeing how incompetent the local police continue to be at traffic control I can almost understand people leaving early. I'm not ready to give them a pass though. They should've stayed.

pimphog

have you guys ever thought people might be going to the bath room............just because someone is leaving their seat doesnt' mean they are leaving the game........

Modsquad24

my team hasnt made the playoffs in awhile so nfl meant nothing 2 me yesterday, being a Bills fan can be rough, would watch the hogs over nfl no matter who was playing though anyway.

razorback903

Quote from: hogfan446 on January 13, 2008, 11:06:16 pm
I was furious watching those fans leaving at the start of overtime.  Not only that, Hundreds more left when there were only 35 seconds left and we were only up a couple????  First of all, how can you leave with the game up in the air like that and second, just how much faster do you think you are possibly going to get out of traffic by leaving just a couple minutes early?  If you aren't going to stay and cheer for the Hogs, then let someone else buy your tickets that will.   FRICK!!!!
Don't start that discussion again.
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: hogs25 on January 14, 2008, 01:33:53 am
I truly believe without a doubt that Arkansas Basketball as we know is at a crossroads.  And I don't mean anything to do with Pel, that's not my point because it wouldn't matter if Phil Jackson was the coach.  It's all about entertainment period not two hours of boredom.  If we don't change up the atmosphere inside BWA, then you can stick a fork in the Bud.  It's done.  People used to go to games just to watch Jim Robkin run around like a mad man.  It all starts with the students and band and that'll take care of the rest.

Excuse me?  I didn't see the students or band leaving before the game was over.  Don't blame lousy fans on them.  Our fans just need to step it up.  Do they expect home court advantage to just happen because they bought tickets? 
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

BCShogs

Quote from: hogfan446 on January 13, 2008, 11:06:16 pm
I was furious watching those fans leaving at the start of overtime.  Not only that, Hundreds more left when there were only 35 seconds left and we were only up a couple????  First of all, how can you leave with the game up in the air like that and second, just how much faster do you think you are possibly going to get out of traffic by leaving just a couple minutes early?  If you aren't going to stay and cheer for the Hogs, then let someone else buy your tickets that will.   FRICK!!!!

they might stay if the team was fun to watch. i can't wait for these players to graduate.

opineonswine

The_Iceman

the job of the fans is to go and support the team, not go be entertained.

now hopefully we can get both, but im just saying.

Hollywood_HOGan45

i saw that and could not believe it. I do not know what is wrong with some of our stupid fans.

i noticed tons of people leaving even before overtime!! I even yelled at some of them.

The atmosphere in the bud has got to get back to where it was. Some of it is the fans' fault and some of it is on the band director, cheerleaders, and band. Even the students just arent very creative anymore.

trippigs

January 14, 2008, 11:16:42 am #25 Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:06:06 pm by twinpigs
Yep, I attended with my son and wife.....there were a lot of folks who left then which is hard to understand. The overall crowd enthusiam and noise was only at a high level after a couple of good Hog offensive plays and then during the final minutes of regulation plus OT. The noise was good primarily when Bama had the ball which shows some fan smarts. I am an old timer and at no time was it anywhere close to the Nolan years and Barnhill days.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: pimphog on January 14, 2008, 08:25:57 am
have you guys ever thought people might be going to the bath room............just because someone is leaving their seat doesnt' mean they are leaving the game........

do they take their coats, jackets, and hats with them to the bathroom?

HamShank

The guy next to us was pulling his young son away at the top of OT saying he wanted to "beat traffic."  What?!?!  You throw down that kind of cash for you and your son to have an outing together, then you get a close, exciting game, and you leave?!

You don't even have to stop and smell the roses, dude.  The roses are your son and a great basketball game and they're right there in your frickin face. 

IMAballHawg

Quoted for Truth!

I do wish we would have 1 more retirement (current band director) so that we can upgrade
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

Ross U (HDHF)

Speaking of fans, does anyone else think that the 19,000+ attendance figure from yesterday was absurdly inflated?  My dad and I moved down to the lower sections and we could've sat almost anywhere. 

Mick Hogger

If you'd rather beat traffic than cheer the Hogs on to win in overtime, stay home. At least 20% of my area started clearing out. I'll give the NFL playoffs theory a shot, but this needs to stop ASAP.

Hog bball fans, come home!
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

johogs001

19,153 was in attendance. The only empty seats were the students seats. I don't think the nfl had any influence on that, and most people stayed in OT.  A few fans does not make up the entire situation.

hillhog

I agree with most on here. I can understand having to go to work. Leaving to beat traffic I don't understand although I do know some that do this every game unless it is tied/ 1 or 2 point spread with less than a minute. I go to watch the game and stay in my seat until the final buzzer sounds, even if it is a blow out by either side. Blow out by us, yell and holler "great", blown out--yell, bitch and moan.

hillhog

Quote from: johogs001 on January 14, 2008, 02:31:30 pm
19,153 was in attendance. The only empty seats were the students seats. I don't think the nfl had any influence on that, and most people stayed in OT.  A few fans does not make up the entire situation.
I noticed quite a number of empty seats in the lower east side. 6-8 seats in a row. I figured probably a corporate sponser or some such.
Also noticed the lower student section at times. Once in particular approx 10-12 were standing dancing waving arms, yelling. The rest were sitting down, basically pretty quiet. May be time for the youngsters to get off us "old people"s backs about not yelling?

cthog99

why do people keep on camparing today's crowd with those when Nolan was the coach. 2 things stand out. they were an exciting team to watch while we have been real dull the past few years and also those teams were making final fours and competiing for championships and we have barely made the tournament the last couple of years. i guarantedd if we had a team that had a legitimate chance for the final four, there would be alot more fans and more noise.

cthog99

Quote from: hillhog on January 14, 2008, 02:40:50 pm
I noticed quite a number of empty seats in the lower east side. 6-8 seats in a row. I figured probably a corporate sponser or some such.
Also noticed the lower student section at times. Once in particular approx 10-12 were standing dancing waving arms, yelling. The rest were sitting down, basically pretty quiet. May be time for the youngsters to get off us "old people"s backs about not yelling?

i'm gonna make noise when the opposing team has the ball, cheer when we have a good play, and not do crap during the timeouts. how does that add to homecourt advantage?

opineonswine

zebra

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on January 14, 2008, 12:52:53 pm
Speaking of fans, does anyone else think that the 19,000+ attendance figure from yesterday was absurdly inflated?  My dad and I moved down to the lower sections and we could've sat almost anywhere. 

I completely agree, I always look up to the top rows to see if it is going to be full, and the end zones in the upper deck seemed pretty full, but the sideline behind the benches the top three or four rows, were pretty bare.

awwyeah84

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on January 14, 2008, 09:40:45 am
Excuse me?  I didn't see the students or band leaving before the game was over.  Don't blame lousy fans on them.  Our fans just need to step it up.  Do they expect home court advantage to just happen because they bought tickets? 
'

Students and the band stay the entire time and are loud the entire time.
Old people need to make more noise...if no one wants to stand up and make noise during the game, then it's going to continue to be a mediocre atmosphere.

phadedhawg

Quote from: cthog99 on January 14, 2008, 02:46:02 pm
why do people keep on camparing today's crowd with those when Nolan was the coach. 2 things stand out. they were an exciting team to watch while we have been real dull the past few years and also those teams were making final fours and competiing for championships and we have barely made the tournament the last couple of years. i guarantedd if we had a team that had a legitimate chance for the final four, there would be alot more fans and more noise.

I agree with this but I think there is a bit more to it.  Basketball as a sport is getting worse and especially college basketball.  There just isn't as many good players in the NCAA as there oncw were with everyone heading to the NBA ASAP.

The shooting percentages and scoring averages are evidence of it.  I watched some highlights of rhe Razorbacks and some other teams in the early 90's and it was just amazing the quality athletes that were on the floor.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Mick Hogger on January 14, 2008, 01:59:49 pm
If you'd rather beat traffic than cheer the Hogs on to win in overtime, stay home. At least 20% of my area started clearing out. I'll give the NFL playoffs theory a shot, but this needs to stop ASAP.

Hog bball fans, come home!

NFL playoffs?

I sat in Bud Walton Arena on Super Bowl Sunday in January, 1995 to watch Arkansas and Kentucky do battle. It was a close game that came down to the wire and no one left early to go watch the Super Bowl. You couldn't have pried me out of my seat for anything.

We have to face it. The times have changed and many fans are just not as interested as they used to be. The only way to get that interest level back is to have a consistently high-ranked team and go deep in the NCAA Tournament most years.

hawgsav1

Quote from: STLRazorback on January 14, 2008, 02:15:47 am
I'm sure many of those people left so they could make it to church. Can't criticize them if that was the reason. On any other day there wouldn't be any excuse for it though.

I can...it's the damn state of Arkansas and the Hogs are the state religion.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

cthog99

when we went up by 4 with 13 seconds left and loads of people started going out, a little piece of me wanted bama to tie it up just to screw those people

HogMavFan

I agree. If you have ever been to a Mavericks game, it is an amazing entertainment experience. Even my wife who doesn't even care about basketball had a great time. It would be easy to incorporate some of the light show and scoreboard ideas. The off court contests at timeouts and halftime could be borrowed along with humerous video clips on the scoreboards, rock music soundbites, etc. Either get a new band leader or phase out the band . And quit calling the hogs every timeout. I love the hog call but that band leader overuses it to the point it loses any effect. Once pregame, once at halftime and once or twice at a timeout would be more than enough. Use a little creativity. Entertainment is competitive these days and we need to stay relevant so BWA with remain "the basketball palace of America"

joeyself

Quote from: STLRazorback on January 14, 2008, 02:15:47 am
I'm sure many of those people left so they could make it to church. Can't criticize them if that was the reason. On any other day there wouldn't be any excuse for it though.

That's the first thing I thought of when I started in this thread--if services start at 6:00, and traffic is bad, those extra minutes could mean the difference in being on time or not.

And that's a priceless example to teach to your children--what comes first and what fits around it.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

pignatious

Unless those fans were going to church, and maybe most of them were, that was absurd. It was also ridiculous that we could not get a sell out with a full crowd in the SEC opener. The attendance from what I saw was more like 16 - 17 thousand, not 19,000+ by any means.
Freedom is never free.

pignatious

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 14, 2008, 03:56:01 pm
I agree with this but I think there is a bit more to it.  Basketball as a sport is getting worse and especially college basketball.  There just isn't as many good players in the NCAA as there oncw were with everyone heading to the NBA ASAP.

The shooting percentages and scoring averages are evidence of it.  I watched some highlights of rhe Razorbacks and some other teams in the early 90's and it was just amazing the quality athletes that were on the floor.

Lot of truth to that. The game is not near as exciting as it once was. The NBA has effectively gutted college basketball.
Freedom is never free.

chiefsfan

Quote from: pignatious on January 15, 2008, 12:37:34 am
Lot of truth to that. The game is not near as exciting as it once was. The NBA has effectively gutted college basketball.

In terms of popularity, baseball is beginning to pass basketball at some different schools in the South.   Its getting close to that way here sadly...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

cthog99

how many games do you see on espn where students are painted up with no shirt on, yet bubba hog can't take his off. come on now.