Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I the only one who says DON'T sub Hill for Townes?

Started by Hoggy Bear, January 13, 2008, 06:47:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy Bear

They talk about making the "defensive substitution" and take Townes out for Hill especially at the ends of games.  But to me, Townes is a better defender than Hill this year, has better footwork, and has more strength than Hill.  Hill repeatedly puts himself out of position when defending penetration to the basket, allows entry passes way too deep toward the basket, and is almost always out of position to block out when it comes to rebounds.  So why not leave Townes in and at least give us a chance to score on one end and rebound on the other.

CurlyTail

No, you're not the only one. If it were up to me Hill would never get off the bench at all.

NateMan

I was thinking the same thing at the end of the game.  Hill kept getting bumped up the lane by Hendrix, then he would end up out of position when they threw Hendrix an entry pass.  Townes seemed to do a better job of keeping Hendrix in front of him and forcing him to make tougher shots.

Hot_Town_Hog

You are certainly not the only one. Not picking on Hill, but he as obviously gotten even worse from last year. There will be no SEC defensive awards this year.

COCHISE

I'm still wondering why Hill is allowed to dress out, so yeah, the substitution boggles my mind also.

Smokehouse

The whole team seems to get deflated when Hill is in, probably because they realize they're playing 4 on 5 basketball, with a tall guy wandering aimlessly around the court.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

rosser33

c'mon guys..give the guy a break..u gotta figure out of the last 5 games how many times have our guards actually set up and ran an offense?...i imagine if i was 7ft tall and never got a chance to rest and run a play much less have the ball passed my way, i'd get pretty tired...u cant expect steve to run as much as townes cause townes is just more of an athlete so he's acutally got a chance to be in position for rebounds and put backs seein as how the ball is usually never touched by more than 2 hogs a poss...its tough for a steve hill to play 40 min of pel...pluss u gotta figure, d townes has gotta rest some too ;)

ke2743

It disgusts me when I see Hill's big frame in the game.  He is a waste of a perfectly good tall person.  Hill should be dominating on the boards.  But every time a shot goes up, Hill just kinda stands around.  Also, where is his hustle.  I mean when we do get a rebound on either side, Hill is always the last one back down the court and I never really see him jumping for rebounds, the ones he normally gets basically fall into his hands.  I think someone has to actually drive him to the game everyday because if they didn't I don't know if he would actually be able to find Bud Walton Arena.  Am I missing something here that Heath and Pel see in this guy?  Because I sure don't see his talent/worthiness to play during the games.  An average of 4 points a game and a few blocks just doesn't justify it for me. 

porkenstein

lol. have any of you people ever actually played the game?

The_Iceman

Quote from: porkenstein on January 14, 2008, 09:54:53 am

yes, and the fundamentals of the big men are seriously lacking, except for townes on offense.

harmonyhog

I think Hill doesn't enjoy the game of basketball. He trys to go through the motions. If he goes to the NBA he will not last.

ke2743

ke2743

One more thing, then I'll stop beating this dead horse.  Yes I have and we actually had a player like Hill.  Super tall, but lacked the grace, ability, and fundamentals on the court.  I'm not saying Hill is a bad guy, I just don't think he gets the job done like the others.  The horse is officially dead now... I'm out.

HamShank

I agree.  Hill seems to have gotten a lot worse and more lethargic since last year.  During yesterday's game, he seemed completely uninterested in what was going on around him.  He never hustled to the ball, fought for anything, and when the ball did miraculously touch his hands, he couldn't keep it and usually bobbled it out of bounds.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that any time he was in the game for more than two minutes he would commit an unnecessary foul. 

I liked this kid last year.  Now, my heart sinks every time he goes in.

hogballplayer30

Its pretty bad when Hill touches the ball and the announcer says. "Hill with the ball on the baseline, not a big score threat there."  As big as the dude is, he should be a powerhouse.  I wouldn't sub him in at all.

porkenstein

yeah, he sucks on offense and is a complete joke in the pick and roll game. but, he can play behind nearly anyone in the sec and guard them 1 to 1.

townes was fronting hendrix for a reason. and bama's guards made horrible passes.

COCHISE

Yes.  And I'm only 6'2" but I got an occassional rebound and made a shot every now and then.  Why can a 7 footer not get a rebound?

porkenstein

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 14, 2008, 11:47:48 am
Yes.  And I'm only 6'2" but I got an occassional rebound and made a shot every now and then.  Why can a 7 footer not get a rebound?

how does a 6'2" guard get 13 boards?

OLDHOG

claycohog

Personally, my favorite play of the game was Hill's pass that deflected off the RIM.

awwyeah84

Quote from: claycohog on January 14, 2008, 12:47:05 pm
Personally, my favorite play of the game was Hill's pass that deflected off the RIM.

hahahaha that was definitely my favorite play too.  Not only is Hill playing, he's STARTING, which doesn't make any bit of sense whatsoever.  If we're so worried about bringing darian townes in off the bench because he plays better when he doesn't start, then at least have michael washington start or something.  Having Hill in is like playing a man down most of the time, it seems like

GRIMMHOG

I was thinking the same thing. You guy's don't have a clue.
Embrace the Pain

COCHISE

porkenstein

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 14, 2008, 08:25:14 pm
Hustle....a concept Hill does not understand.

Right. You should probably keep quiet and let the grownups discuss basketball.

COCHISE

January 14, 2008, 11:16:26 pm #24 Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:44:59 pm by 870 RZR
Quote from: porkenstein on January 14, 2008, 10:02:55 pm
Right. You should probably keep quiet and let the grownups discuss basketball.
Steven Hill- 7'0", 245 lbs, SR., averaging 4.2 pts per game, 2.8 rebounds per game.....alright Mr. Grownup, PLEASE discuss.

BTW...Patrick Beverly is averaging 5.6 rebounds per game.

CurlyTail

pignatious

I really think it is time to pull Steven out of the rotation entirely. Just go with Townes, Thomas and Washington. That might wake him up. No, probably not.
Freedom is never free.

hawgtahm

Hill is a bit of a conundrum to me. I mean, he is an amazing shot blocker, which implies an inherent aptitude for footwork and positioning, and he leads the team with a 67.5 shooting percentage. Yet, he doesn't rebound, which requires footwork and positioning, and he doesn't shoot.

Of course, you can argue that his shooting percentage is high because he only shoots the put-back/gimme, but I remember seeing him hit a nice little sky-hook early last season, and thinking that he may have found an offensive weapon. I never saw it again. On Sunday, he hit a 10 footer from the baseline that reminded me of Joe Kleine, but that's the only time I've seen him try it.

I can't figure it out. Maybe, his hands aren't nearly as good at catching the ball as they are at smacking the ball.

All of that said, I'm not here to suggest that I know basketball better than Coach Pelphrey

(Coach, if you're reading this, tell Ervin that he doesn't have to shoot every time he drives,lol.)

porkenstein

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 14, 2008, 11:16:26 pm
Steven Hill- 7'0", 245 lbs, SR., averaging 4.2 pts per game, 2.8 rebounds per game.....alright Mr. Grownup, PLEASE discuss.

BTW...Patrick Beverly is averaging 5.6 rebounds per game.

I've already been over this in another thread.

Here's the cliffs:

minutes played
zone defenses
help defense rotations
sealing the lane allows guards to come in and board

I do think Hill has some major flaws in his game. But the posts on this thread sound like ->"OMG HILL IS THE SUXOR, HE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO CARRY TOWNES
JOCK" illustrates that some people don't understand much about basketball and the way that Hill can affect a game. Also, lets not forget that Townes defensive intensity is determined by how well is offensive game is going. Hill is going to come out and give a consistent effort no matter how many ticky-tacks he picks up from helping when our guards get burned. And do you guys really think Townes can play 40 minutes? Sorry, he's not Amare Stoudamire.

Hill is a good shot blocker but not a world beater. Most of his blocks have come against non-conference schools, I think.

Junkyard Hog

Hill is an excellent defender.  He makes a huge difference defensively.  Not all of those differences show up on the stat sheet. 

porkenstein

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on January 15, 2008, 10:06:56 am
Hill is an excellent defender.  He makes a huge difference defensively.  Not all of those differences show up on the stat sheet. 

yeah, crazy little things like being able to play behind the other teams best post player 1 on 1 and protect the rim which allows guards to play tighter on their men and gamble in the passing lanes

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: porkenstein on January 15, 2008, 10:09:41 am
yeah, crazy little things like being able to play behind the other teams best post player 1 on 1 and protect the rim which allows guards to play tighter on their men and gamble in the passing lanes

Not to mention he alters as many shots as he blocks.

condohog

The two shots he blocked to start the game were a big lift.  Sure they will figure out how to beat him but if the effects of the block shots linger just a little bit then it is a succes along with winning the tip. So if Townes starts and gets a quick foul and doesn't get in a groove offensively then you have to go with Michael Washington for offense and you get nothing out of Hill. Townes and Washington are both better players but I like the idea that we some how get productivity out of Hill. It is not much but I am sure Pelphrey is aware of how to use his lineup. 

TRUHOG718

January 15, 2008, 12:51:41 pm #33 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:56:52 pm by TRUHOG718
Quote from: Hoggy Bear on January 13, 2008, 06:47:10 pm
They talk about making the "defensive substitution" and take Townes out for Hill especially at the ends of games.  But to me, Townes is a better defender than Hill this year, has better footwork, and has more strength than Hill.  Hill repeatedly puts himself out of position when defending penetration to the basket, allows entry passes way too deep toward the basket, and is almost always out of position to block out when it comes to rebounds.  So why not leave Townes in and at least give us a chance to score on one end and rebound on the other.

We need Hill on defense sets at the end of the game. No matter what many might feel Hill will play defense and on stop balls Townes will sub for offense.  Thats the right thing to do and will not change.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

TRUHOG718

January 15, 2008, 12:53:06 pm #34 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:57:13 pm by TRUHOG718
Quote from: ke2743 on January 14, 2008, 11:13:03 am
2 smites for stating my opinion.. love it! 

After watching the Red/White Game Nov 6th I posted this. I also got slammed for posting my opinion of what I saw. Go Figure.

11/6/07
"Townes (Most Improved Player, not last years Townes, deserves to start)"

"Hill (disappointed me, had a few bocks, was unable to get position all game on a 6'8 NAIA player, just didn't seem to have made any improvement)"
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

BleednRed87

He is useless in the game other than to give our other big men a breather. Washington, Townes & Thomas play circles around him. Even Vincent Hunter.... He can't score, he can't dribble, he is the most uncoordinated person I have ever seen wear a Razorback uniform, plus he can't rebound to save his life and he's not even that great at blocking shots this year.

I'm not trying to be mean but these are obvious flaws in his game. I'd bet my house he won't last 3 years in the NBA if he even makes it

Rhog

You guys are all right; Hill is terrible, but more importantly than that he has no desire to fight for position on defensive or to get rebounds.  He is a whimp and is not half the player Townes is.  Also, it really concerns me that Pelphrey doesn't seem to realize that the other teams seem to make their runs on us particularly in the second half and down the stretch when Hill is in the game.  Against Alabama Pelphrey cost us the lead by taking Townes and Thomas out at the same time and by putting Hill in.  Then down the stretch he did it again and in overtime.  My seats are right behind the team bench it was obvious to see that Townes was furious from being continually subbed out of the game.  Pelphrey can't afford to lose Townes mentally and better reward his efforts by showing him that he has faith in him at the end of the game.  Pelphrey watch the film and check the stat books and then tell me who is a better defensive player. 

baydor

Hill makes me want to turn off my TV when watching razorback games.  He is so bad at his position...but possesses all the physical talents to be dominant.  It is almost like that emo cut he got made him into a no talent pussie.
"Everybody has a plan...until they get punched in the mouth"  --Mike Tyson

slopinhogs

January 15, 2008, 06:03:07 pm #38 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:05:23 pm by slopinhogs
doin't know why he doesn't understand the game better by now, but he dosen't ,let him  watch. play Washngton and Townes :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die