Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pitiful.

Started by Lanny, January 13, 2008, 06:36:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spahoopsfan

I saw Bama play Georgetown tough.  So I really don't think Bama is weak.  I believe if there wasn't five or six bad calls it wouldn't have been close.  I believe Townes has earned the starting position and far more playing time.  I know he got a lot of time against Auburn, but that was because Hill couldn't stay on the floor without fouling.  Townes has always played better offense, but lately he has also been playing better defense.  Several times today Hill was out of bounds, because he couldn't hold his own, and a second Bama player had an easy put back.  I believe we will see Hill only play spot duty to give Townes a breather.  Weems is the one that has finally started to live up to the hype.  I see him getting better and better. His shot has improved and he is seeing the floor well.  Final thing, someone needs to tell Bev that he is playing a game of H O R S E when he goes to free throw line and maybe he can start hitting some of those shots.  It is in his head now.  I think he must have missed like his last six free throws.

djgaffer

Quote from: Smithian on January 13, 2008, 06:38:35 pm
All I know is we lose that game last year.

We beat Bama by 17 at home last year. 

It's okay to think we're infinitely better with a new coach.  It just may not be accurate yet.

Razorod

A couple of factors to consider: Bama was playing not to go 0-2 in conference, plus they were coming off five days of preparation (they had the Super Tuesday game). They were fired up because you certainly don't want to start 0-2. I think we may have taken one of Bama's better shots.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Tripod1

Great to be 2-0 in conference.  Was not the case last year.  That said, we still are not a good BB team.  But I will take a win pretty, ugly, or however they win.  Just keep winning.

Modsquad24

your right theyre struggling and at times dont look like a good team, but somehow they keep inching closer and closer to being an ncaat team again as they continue to just win and win and win somehow.

parrishw

Quote from: hSv on January 13, 2008, 06:45:25 pm
Blowing a lead and being forced to overtime at home is not acceptable.

I agree. With the start we had, the best starting 5 minutes we have had against most anybody all year, this game should never had been close. We should have won going away by 20 points.

But I am very happy to be 2-0 in conference.

and the best part about our situation is.......................Pelphrey probably said the same thing I just did when he met with the players after the game instead of patting them on the back and telling them they were magnificent.

a real coach...................what a concept

parrishw

Quote from: spahoopsfan on January 13, 2008, 10:28:37 pm
I saw Bama play Georgetown tough.  So I really don't think Bama is weak.  I believe if there wasn't five or six bad calls it wouldn't have been close.  I believe Townes has earned the starting position and far more playing time.  I know he got a lot of time against Auburn, but that was because Hill couldn't stay on the floor without fouling.  Townes has always played better offense, but lately he has also been playing better defense.  Several times today Hill was out of bounds, because he couldn't hold his own, and a second Bama player had an easy put back.  I believe we will see Hill only play spot duty to give Townes a breather.  Weems is the one that has finally started to live up to the hype.  I see him getting better and better. His shot has improved and he is seeing the floor well.  Final thing, someone needs to tell Bev that he is playing a game of H O R S E when he goes to free throw line and maybe he can start hitting some of those shots.  It is in his head now.  I think he must have missed like his last six free throws.

You are right.
I saw Bama play Florida and was amazed that we went up 10 so quickly and stayed out in front. I expected it to be a battle from the tip.
That being said we shot ourselves in the foot a lot or we would have won by 20.
And I agree Townes should be starting and Beverley needs to take some more deep breaths.

Weems finally is looking like the player he was billed to be when he came here. Hope he keeps it up.

parrishw

Quote from: PorkOpine on January 13, 2008, 09:04:47 pm
I can buy that.  They lack a killer instinct.

+1  That is the key

Bomis Hawg

In 16 games, you'll stump your toe a time or two.

Only the third time since joining the SEC that Arkansas has started 2-0 in conference play.  I'll take it.

Oliver

Quote from: hSv on January 13, 2008, 06:36:05 pm
Terrible game today.  Arkansas survived in Overtime thanks to Thomas able to shoot Free Throws.

We're 2-0 in SEC games that we didn't deserve to win.  I'll take wins however we can get them but we won't be playing opponents as bad as Auburn and Alabama continually. 

bullmts

A win is a win is a win.  People talk about us beating Alabama by 17 last year.  We never had any problem blowing people out when we were hot...we just couldn't win a close game and over come any bad stretch.  That is what is encouraging about these 2 wins.  Also did anyone notice that Missouri blew Texas away this week?  This team will continue to improve with a real coach...unlike last year when we got worse.  The conditioning and depth will pay off in the 2nd half of the conference season and on into the tournament.  Just my opinion.

Hollywood_HOGan45

game should have never ever went to OT but they made plays down the stretch, we got some bad calls, and we didnt capitalize on opportunities.

but I wouldnt call this game "pitiful". We're 2-0 in SEC play with a great chance to go 3-0. We play well in big stretches and we would play awful in big stretches.

Arkansas should have put this team away in the middle of the second half but yet again, we hit cold streaks way too often.

People may still think we're terrible but i still believe this team has a chance to improve and get some more big wins in the SEC.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Hardly pitiful, but it was tough to watch when Riley hit that three.

kgr

Why did we quit trying to work it inside and pass more when they were in zone in the last 5 min. when we made zero field goals?

This is good.  He will continue to have their attention and it did show they didn't totally collapse when it started going to crap.

malibu327

wining is

Quote from: hSv on January 13, 2008, 06:45:25 pm
Blowing a lead and being forced to overtime at home is not acceptable.

condohog

Anyone notice how if you say "pitiful" you will get a bigger thread than if you say mediocre.

mpeacock

Last time I checked, tophawg, being the "owner" of a message board doesn't render one purveyor of truth and beyond reproach. I'm sure hSv is flattered by your blind loyalty and obvious idealization of him, however.

He stated his opinion in forceful terms and I would hope he would be able to tolerate others disagreeing with him in a similarly forceful, albeit civilized, manner.

kcstar

Quote from: FootballHog on January 13, 2008, 08:03:33 pm
I can't remember the last time the refs got boo'd that much at BWA....they were horrible.

Also, did anyone else see that ref hanging all over Hendrix? It was like they were best friends or something.

After Gottfried jumped the refs early in the second half, Bama got the next dozen calls.  It looked like the refs were Gottfried's boys after the tongue lashing he gave them.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: kgr on January 14, 2008, 12:39:18 pm
Why did we quit trying to work it inside and pass more when they were in zone in the last 5 min. when we made zero field goals?

Must admit I was puzzled by that as well. I can't count how many times I yelled to take it inside.