Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pitiful.

Started by Lanny, January 13, 2008, 06:36:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Terrible game today.  Arkansas survived in Overtime thanks to Thomas able to shoot Free Throws.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

mathhog

January 13, 2008, 06:38:25 pm #1 Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:43:30 pm by mathhog
Quote from: hSv on January 13, 2008, 06:36:05 pm
Terrible game today.  Arkansas survived in Overtime thanks to Thomas able to shoot Free Throws.

what a joke!!!

we are 2-0 in the sec for the first time in years.

we beat a decent team that will probably make the NCAA bubble at home after a heroic performance by a kid having a homecoming trying to show us up (Riley from Pine Bluff)

i'll take the 2-0 instead of a pretty loss, thank you very much.

sheesh, some people can't be happy with winning......

Smithian

All I know is we lose that game last year.

rljjr

They shouldn't have blown the lead, but at least they won. This same team last year would have never made it to OT. I have to think being 2-0 in the SEC is a good thing for the future of the program. Keep it up, Hogs.

010HogFan

We'll have a tough time in Tuscaloosa.

Hogeye_Pierce

Pssst. In case you didn't notice, we WON the game today. Game we probably would have lost under SH. Give some credit to Alabama too (especially the Riley kid from PB). This is how the games ALWAYS are whenever we play Bama, here or there.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

CurlyTail

VenturaHog

Hey man, I agree that this team is gonna give me a heartattack but a win is a win is a win......

mathhog

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on January 13, 2008, 06:39:50 pm
Pssst. In case you didn't notice, we WON the game today. Game we probably would have lost under SH. Give some credit to Alabama too (especially the Riley kid from PB). This is how the games ALWAYS are whenever we play Bama, here or there.

AMEN!

The nat'l champ year, we lost to bama.

bama-arkansas is ALWAYS close.  which is why last january was so weird...

no matter who it is.

i remember the game we were up 22 and lost to them in OT, nolan's last year i think.

ENJOY WINNING!

NateMan

Quote from: Smithian on January 13, 2008, 06:38:35 pm

My thoughts exactly.  All the way through overtime my thoughts were "Heath's team would've folded by now".  Yes, we should have played better down the stretch and should have won in regulation by double-digits.  But this is not a great basketball team.  A win is a win in the SEC.  We will take it any way we can get it.

mpeacock

Yeah, pitiful. Right. I hate being 2-0 in the SEC, it's pitiful. They should probably give a half-win back to Alabama so that we are 1.5-0 in the SEC, right? Why aren't we undefeated and winning all of these games by at least 10 points? Pitiful.

Lanny

Blowing a lead and being forced to overtime at home is not acceptable.

Al Bundy

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Bomis Hawg

Not a terrible game, but not great.

You have to realize that if Alabama had not played with a brain to start the second half, they would've been a lot closer.

Surviving this game was crucial.  Arkansas can play without Beverley playing the bulk of the second part of the 2nd half.  Ervin didn't lose the game either late, as we are used to seeing.

I'll take it.

mathhog

Quote from: hSv on January 13, 2008, 06:45:25 pm

Whatever.

The selection committee won't give a FLIP about 'blowing a lead' if we still win in the end, last time i checked.

ENjoy the win!

Go Hogs!

2-0 SEC

NateMan

Agreed.  But you can stomach that much better with a "W" than you can with an "L". 

HOG1947

Quote from: Smithian on January 13, 2008, 06:38:35 pm

Ditto for last Thursday game at Auburn!
We stumble across the truth from time to time but
most of us pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off,
and proceed as if nothing happened.

The art of Diplomacy is being able to say "good dog" until you can find a big rock.

mathhog

Also, HSV, mighty 7 scholarship player AUBURN gave FLORIDA a heck of a game in Gainesville.

Is Florida pitiful?

Conference play is different.

heathtits

Well accept it because if you weren't watching, it happened.

Hot_Town_Hog

Probably shouldn't have lost our lead, but Bama must get some credit for hitting some big shots. We went cold and had some bad TO's, but completely agree we lose this game last year. It was very tough to watch, but it felt so good to get the win!!

No way 2-0 is pitiful...I'll take it considering where we have been!! Not perfect by any means, but we WON!!

COCHISE

Against a team whose best player is on the bench, just like we struggled against a depleted Auburn team, I'm afraid once we face a team that actually has all their starters on the floor we could be in trouble...BUT...a win is a win and I'll take it.

YAZ

We blow the lead in regulation but are still able to bounce back enough in OT to get the W. What was the goal today? To get the W. Mission accomplished!

Yes, we need to improve and quit winning ugly but an ugly win is still better than a pretty loss.

jschulte

yes very bad call hsv... the game was so close because of the bad officiating.  Our defense was good.. they were just making unbelievable shots.

florence_nitecap

Ervin won that game for us, not Thomas.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: PorkOpine on January 13, 2008, 07:06:27 pm
It was a good win despite way too many mistakes.  Having said that, when did it become taboo to critique a "W". 

What is your definition of critique?

jmingram911

....BUT they won.  Last year they would have lost this game. We missed too many FTs once again. JP was coaching his heart out as opposed to last year.  Go Hogs!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: florence_nitecap on January 13, 2008, 07:08:33 pm
Ervin won that game for us, not Thomas.

yet he almost lost it in regulation too.   Thats Gary Ervin for ya
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

cessna8667

Not acceptable?  You act like we lost the game, man...   Sure it was ugly, but I'm not sure many of the hogs on the court had touched a basketball before we recruited them, so I believe it is acceptable!

jschulte

You DIE by ervin you LIVE by ervin

RAZ FAN

Quote from: HOG1947 on January 13, 2008, 06:47:46 pm
Ditto for last Thursday game at Auburn!
This is all true. We should be happy that we are winning these type games, because last year we would have choked.

HoundHog

Pitiful? If you want pitiful you need to watch the Cowboys!! I'll take a win over Bama anytime.

Two very average teams played a decent game to watch and my team won.  We are 2-0 in conference and that says something.  We would be 0-2 in conference with last years coach.  Going nearly 8 minutes there at the end without a field goal reall shows how much team we have.  Fact is as bad as we are, we didn't completely fold like we would have last year.  I am seeing a different player sort of stepping up in each game.  If these players could muster a decent game from the team instead of a player or 2, we could be good.  A fair conference team at their place will hammer us at this point.  Just hope we will continue to get better.  This is truly a team under construction.

Beaverfever

Yeah, we could have done a little better at staying aggressive and keeping the heat on Bama, but you have to give them credit.  They made some big shots to make it a game.  In the end a win over Bama is a good win.  We played awesome for 25 minutes in that game.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jschulte on January 13, 2008, 07:20:19 pm
You DIE by ervin you LIVE by ervin

Yes sir...want to hug one time down the court and shot him the next.  Our guard play is mediocre at best on the offensive end.

The good news is we won a game we would have lost last year.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hawgsav1

they're a team that's in a transition period.  Pelphrey has fixed them throughout the season.  Only 13 TOs today, as compared to the normal 23.  Free throw shooting has been an achilles heel for us.  We should have held onto the lead much better, but at least we held onto it.  It's easier to build off a win than a loss.  I will admit it is worrisome that we're keeping it a little close against undermanned teams, but hopefully they'll get things going soon.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hogsailor

As was said before an ugly win is better than a close loss. A close loss is always forgotten.

Every team goes through having starters out, key players in foul trouble. Tonight it went both ways.

Granted, they blew a great lead but in the end we got the W.

That's what goes into the record...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I have to disagree.  I thought our offense was much improved from the no-motion offense of last year, and our defense looked terrific.  The main improvement we need to make is to keep Ervin's butt on the bench except to spell Welsh, Beverley, or Britt for 5-10 minutes total at most.

I hate to blame the officiating, but it was HORRIBLE.  Every time we'd get a run the ref's would kill our momentum by calling us for a touch-foul.  Then on the other end, not only were they not calling the fouls where our players got hammered, they were actually calling those fouls against us too.  It was ridiculous.  Don't get me started on the time the Alabama guy was standing with the ball out of bounds and they called it last touched by Townes under the basket.  AL took that and nailed a three on the ensuing possession.

Overall, I was very impressed seeing our hogs play through adversity and win against a very good Alabama team despite playing 5v8 most of the game.

FootballHog

January 13, 2008, 08:03:33 pm #37 Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:05:26 pm by FootballHog
I can't remember the last time the refs got boo'd that much at BWA....they were horrible.

Also, did anyone else see that ref hanging all over Hendrix? It was like they were best friends or something.

tophawg19

guy's allow me to introduce you to HSV . before you keep telling him he has no right to be critical . i do believe the OWNER of this board can pretty much do as he chooses or BAN who he chooses . it is  always smart to play nice when you don't appear to know who is who on here. luckily he is a nice guy and doesn't seem to hold grudges against SMART A--ES . we are lucky to have this board free . membership is a privilage to be cherished .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

mathhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 13, 2008, 08:09:59 pm
guy's allow me to introduce you to HSV . before you keep telling him he has no right to be critical . i do believe the OWNER of this board can pretty much do as he chooses or BAN who he chooses . it is  always smart to play nice when you don't appear to know who is who on here. luckily he is a nice guy and doesn't seem to hold grudges against SMART A--ES . we are lucky to have this board free . membership is a privilage to be cherished .

I know who hsv is, i've read the rules and regulations, and nowhere in the rules that i agreed to did it say it was illegal to support the hogs.  I'm a grown adult and I don't need to tiptoe around out of fear.

Give it a rest with the kool-aid man, this thread has about 99% agreement that being 2-0 is a good thing.

Hsv can post his opinion, but so can we.  No profanity, no name calling, just "POSTING".

Go Hogs!

hogsailor

So, I guess no one has the right to disagree with Lanny on sports?

Plus, I didn't see anyone saying he has no right to be critical.

I rekon he's a better person than that...

-- -- Joseph Joubert

Lanny

No that isn't true.  Everyone on here is entitled to disagree and voice their opinion.  I hate to see this team struggle against weaker SEC Teams.

Al Bundy

Rayzback

January 13, 2008, 08:28:21 pm #42 Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:54:53 pm by Rayzback
I thought it was a good game. We held the lead. Defense was awsome in the first half. Don't forget Bama REALLY wanted this win! I wasn't to suprised that they worked their way back into it. I was kinda disappointed at the end, when Ervin drove the paint and had no where to go, again.... but he made up for it by winning the game :}

I'd rather be 2-0 then 0-2 like Bama.

WPS! :razorback:

Seems like just yesterday we were hoping to beat Baylor..
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: hSv on January 13, 2008, 08:16:38 pm
No that isn't true.  Everyone on here is entitled to disagree and voice their opinion.  I hate to see this team struggle against weaker SEC Teams.

I will agree there is concern for the SEC West pre-season favorites to struggle with weaker teams. I was feeling pretty good about today's game, until we hit a wall and let Bama take over. The main thing is we do appear to be improving, and starting out 2-0 is very refreshing compared to where we have been.

With that said, I agree completely we must improve and learn to play a full 40 minutes if we expect to make any noise at all in March.

This is a great board and we are very appreciative of the efforts of "hsv" and others. With that said, open-minded debate makes for interesting points and keeps things exciting at times.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 13, 2008, 08:32:09 pm
I will agree there is concern for the SEC West pre-season favorites to struggle with weaker teams. I was feeling pretty good about today's game, until we hit a wall and let Bama take over. The main thing is we do appear to be improving, and starting out 2-0 is very refreshing compared to where we have been.

With that said, I agree completely we must improve and learn to play a full 40 minutes if we expect to make any noise at all in March.

This is a great board and we are very appreciative of the efforts of "hsv" and others. With that said, open-minded debate makes for interesting points and keeps things exciting at times.

Very good points.  I'm glad to get the wins.  I wouldn't call it "pitiful", but it is a legitimate cause for concern that we struggled with some of th eweaker teams in the west.  We better sweep LSWho this year and I hope we can keep improving.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hogsailor

How many times have we had these close losses?

This time we are on the winning side of the loss...

-- -- Joseph Joubert

SteveInArk

Quote from: PorkOpine on January 13, 2008, 08:50:27 pm
I love your optimism, but the Hogs are winning close games to inferior opponents.  What will happen when they play the better teams?  That's my concern.

It's mine too (really!), and most of us, I think--for years.  Who knows where this season will take us.  But man, isn't it great to win these close games to inferior opponents for once...  it's been so long, high blood pressure and all... I love it.  Knowing that we are blowing a game, but to also know we STILL MIGHT WIN is something SO NEW in recent years...  Go  :razorback:
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

BCRavens

I have noticed that this team seems to play to the level of their opponent. Missouri and Baylor were more highly touted and our guys stepped it up. App. State wasn't, and really neither was Auburn or Alabama, and we struggled against all three of them, as well as some others this year.

I think it's really an attitude issue at this point. They have to learn not to just win, but to win in dominant fashion. I don't know if it's too late to teach these seniors that. I hope not, but give Pel credit for keeping them in it today!

WPS!
Cub Fan - Bud Man

razorvision

There are a lot of people on this thread who act like we just played Delaware St. or Rhode Island.  Come on people... Alabama has talent and plenty of it.  For starters, Gee and Hendrix will be playing at the next level and Riley is not too far behind.  Yes, they are missing Ronald Steele, but the other kid, Hollinger is no slouch.  The Hogs did let their lead slip towards the end, but they also found a way to win.  In the end, the "W" is what counts and as fans we should be grateful for the way the Hogs responded in overtime.

Go Hogs! 
Visit www.rsgcommunications.ws and save big on digital services for your home or office.

hillhog

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 13, 2008, 06:39:27 pm
We'll have a tough time in Tuscaloosa.
Always seem to have a tough time there.