Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say Herring gets the defense turned around, I think he might

Started by Hoggysoprano, April 06, 2005, 02:02:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

If he does he should win that Frank Broyles award.   Then the question turns to the QB.  It's been said that Barthel was behind the other two, yet all inications are that he is the best of the three.  I think the WR, TE and RB situaton will be fine.  My concern is the Offensive Line, Matt Jones was running for his life last year.  Is there any indication that the line will be improved? IF so why or how have they improved?

tophawg19

Would herring get consideration or would that be considered bias .If he fixes this defense then your right .Why wasn't he nominated this year by N.C STATE ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

3kgthog

The OL won't be improved if those stinking blocking sleds don't stop beating up our linemen.  Someone's gonna get killed on those things.  ::)

I'M EMBARRASSED

Herring may have someone on the defense that he would like to move over to QB.  All the moves that he is making might lead to a new, more athletic QB.  I can't wait to see how his defense turns out.  I can't say enough about how excited Herring, and his defense, makes me.

SonOfMud

Quote from: hogsrus5 on April 06, 2005, 03:16:23 pm
I can't say enough about how excited Herring, and his defense, makes me.

Please don't go into detail.

Thanks.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

OKhogfan1959

You know what I like about Herring? OK I'll answer anyways...He goes back to just playing the best players...Not your playing because of starting last year..Williams and Wrighter at LB is an example of just getting playmakers in the game..Sims at DE another example..Whoever was suppose to be blocking Sims Saturday did not get the job done! If that was one of the olineman we're counting on? We got a problem there..Don't worry about the size of the player just can he make plays...Harrison-Bledsoe-Mitchel-look more than big enough to clog the middle...Those guys look bulky enough to hold down the middle...We need a MLB that plugs up the middle and the rest need to be athletes...I'm pumped about the defense!

PigsEye

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on April 06, 2005, 02:02:13 pm
If he does he should win that Frank Broyles award.

Bazzel said the same thing at the LRTD Club lunch at which Nutt and Herring were the speakers.

hawgfan_18

If johnson isn't given the job because of his 20 minutes of PT last year, then from what i'm reading and the progress Cole Barthel has showed he looks like he's on the way to being our starting QB or atleast getting alot of PT.

Also I know Herring hasn't proven anything quite yet but if he is as good a coach as it looks, then if HDN is ever let go, Would HErring be one of the top candidates for the HEad coaching job.
On another note,
I'm afraid if HErring ends up being a great coach that someone will pluck him up from us like we did to NC State.  Or if he is offered a Head coaching job.

Example: Greg Robinson, Texas=Built them into a great defensive team this year, by years end he was accepting the HEad Coaching Job at Syracuse.

swinemaster

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 06, 2005, 02:09:04 pm
Would herring get consideration or would that be considered bias .If he fixes this defense then your right .Why wasn't he nominated this year by N.C STATE ?
Because he was an asst. on Joe Amato's staff.  Joe Amato got the credit for N.C. State's defense last year.  Amato was the d-coor. for Bowden at Fla. St. for a long time and a great defensive guru.  That is my only concern about Herring.  Can he do with our defense what he did with Joe Amato's defense which was loaded with top Florida talent from his recruiting connections made during his days with the Seminoles.

tophawg19

wonder how much of the def. calls were made by herring .i hadn't heard this .

Supermark101

Quote from: swinemaster on April 06, 2005, 07:40:01 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on April 06, 2005, 02:09:04 pm
Because he was an asst. on Joe Amato's staff. Joe Amato got the credit for N.C. State's defense last year. Amato was the d-coor. for Bowden at Fla. St. for a long time and a great defensive guru. That is my only concern about Herring. Can he do with our defense what he did with Joe Amato's defense which was loaded with top Florida talent from his recruiting connections made during his days with the Seminoles.

Joe Amato was there, with the same talent, the year before Herring got there. They gave up over 400 yards a game that year. With herring, they gave up less then 300. I still belive herring will make a huge differance , this year.

tophawg19

where did herring come from before NCSTATE how was his record .what is his past .

Kevin

that would be chuck amato at nc state.  i know herring was fired at clemson one time.  i think he was in the pros before nc state
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JIHawg

Herring's in a catch 22.  If he's real good, he saves Houston's job, and he doesn't get a shot at the head coaching position.  If he's not so good, Nutt gets fired but he's not so good so he doesn't get his shot.

tophawg19

let's just hope he saves our butts we can worry about his later his money is good now .

Supermark101

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 06, 2005, 10:17:17 pm
where did herring come from before NCSTATE how was his record .what is his past .

This is from Hogwired.com

Prior to joining the North Carolina State staff, Herring served two seasons as the linebackers coach for the National Football League's Houston Texans. In 2003, Texans' linebacker Jamie Sharper led the NFL with 164 tackles.

Herring spent eight seasons under head coaches Tommy West and Tommy Bowden at Clemson. From 1994-2001, he served as the linebackers coach. In 1997, he added the title of defensive coordinator. He coached NCAA leading tackler Keith Adams in 2000. He also was part of teams that played in the 1996 Gator Bowl, 1998 Peach Bowl, 1999 Peach Bowl, 2001 Gator Bowl and 2001 Humanitarian Bowl.

His first defensive coordinator experience came in a two-year stint at Texas Christian University (TCU) from 1992-93.

Herring served as linebackers coach under Pat Dye at Auburn from 1986-91. During that six-year span, the Tigers captured three SEC championships and recorded a record of 52-16-3. Auburn made three appearances in the Sugar Bowl and one appearance in the Citrus and Peach Bowls.

He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant under Jimmy Johnson at Oklahoma State in 1981. Johnson promoted Herring to the full-time linebackers coach in 1982. He served in that role for Johnson and Pat Jones until 1985. Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt was a fellow graduate assistant on the 1981 staff and worked with Herring at OSU from 1981-82 and from 1984-85.

tophawg19

great post. i wonder if his def. style is more outside/in , inside/out or multi/ flex .do the corners play much man on man?