Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Take!

Started by yocdaddy, November 21, 2007, 09:42:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yocdaddy

Here's the conflict: a stifling defense that just doesn't allow any easy possessions and an offensive philosophy that wants an uptempo game.  For all of you hoping we will become a team that averages 85 points per game, accept that it won't happen.  There are just not enough possessions for that to happen.  We don't have a defense that steals the basketball, which in turn leads to dunks.  We have a stifling, grinding defense that makes it tough to get open shots inside the arc, which in turn leads to the other team spending more time working the basketball. 

So, what's the solution?  Well, it's not that simple.  We can't give up a few easy buckets here and there to get the tempo where we want it, because we turn it over too much.  I know that sounds funny, but what I mean is that our margin for error is already too close for comfort.  Giving up easy buckets to the other team would make it even closer.  However, unless we start creating more turnovers for our opponent or give up a few easy buckets for the opponent, we won't be great at an uptempo game. 

It will come gradually.  I am just trying to inform my fellow Hog fans.  I want everyone to be patient with Pel, he is a tremendous teacher.  It won't be long HOGvillians until we return to the national spotlight!
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Dr Swineglove

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

mountainhog

good post.  I am hoping since this system is new to our players that maybe they will get better and better as the season goes on and by the end of the year we will be able to up the tempo without the t.o.'s. 

At any rate , I like coach Pel and I think he can get us to where we need to be in the future.

WMHawgfan

The system will improve as we get better at executing our offense. The key to pressing is that you have to make baskets first. The better we become at executing our offense the more opportunites we will have to press and create an up tempo game. When you think back to the rollin with nolan days, we think about 40 minutes of hell but we sometimes forget how good we were at working the offense in the half court.

parrishw

I tell you this............Pel was just as disgusted as I was in that game against Providence. Nothing makes me more angry than to see a player pass the ball at a team mates feet or head or anywhere but their hands and the side away from a defender.

That is what I saw a lot of last year and the Hogs reverted back to that in that Providence game especially in the second half.

Just sloppy basketball that gave it up to the other team.  That is why he had them doing the bear crawl and they d**n sure deserved it.

I coached junior high leagues and I wouldn't put up with that kind of bad passing.

Heath would pat them on the back and tell them better luck next time. Pelphrey will have them crawling on their bellies asking for forgiveness.

I think I am gonna like Pelphrey

hawaiianhogster

Pel is going to have to brake them down then rebuild them as his team. If he doesn't they will lose most of their games. If I were him I would have a bullwhip to beat them into shape. Sort of like boot camp to whip them into shape. Relentlessly.

MDH

"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

jchill

Quote from: yocdaddy on November 21, 2007, 09:42:26 am
Here's the conflict: a stifling defense that just doesn't allow any easy possessions and an offensive philosophy that wants an uptempo game.  For all of you hoping we will become a team that averages 85 points per game, accept that it won't happen.  There are just not enough possessions for that to happen.  We don't have a defense that steals the basketball, which in turn leads to dunks.  We have a stifling, grinding defense that makes it tough to get open shots inside the arc, which in turn leads to the other team spending more time working the basketball. 

So, what's the solution?  Well, it's not that simple.  We can't give up a few easy buckets here and there to get the tempo where we want it, because we turn it over too much.  I know that sounds funny, but what I mean is that our margin for error is already too close for comfort.  Giving up easy buckets to the other team would make it even closer.  However, unless we start creating more turnovers for our opponent or give up a few easy buckets for the opponent, we won't be great at an uptempo game. 

It will come gradually.  I am just trying to inform my fellow Hog fans.  I want everyone to be patient with Pel, he is a tremendous teacher.  It won't be long HOGvillians until we return to the national spotlight!

Agree!! I do love our defense though. I wish we can take care of the ball better. If we can average giving up 16 turnovers a game, we'll win the SEC, our defense is that good. However, giving good teams an extra 15- 18 extra possesions will spell disaster more times than not.