Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what is a more impressive accomplishment for a coach?

Started by mbgrulz, June 11, 2007, 04:37:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

what is a more impressive accomplishment for a coach?

back to back NC's
7 (23.3%)
multiple NC's with years in between
23 (76.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

mbgrulz

i personally think it is more impressive for a coach to win multiple NC's at different times with different teams.

Bomis Hawg

It would be harder to win titles with a couple of years between, imo.
You could convince a couple of players to come back and win two in a row.
But, I think it is harder with kids leaving to build a winner after stars leave.

501Ben

You could have that one great recruiting class that could get you back to back, but if you do it multiple times with years in between that is just a testament to good coaching and good recruiting not one great class.

justonefan

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 11, 2007, 04:37:30 pm
i personally think it is more impressive for a coach to win multiple NC's at different times with different teams.

That's my vote, too

Conway Cool Daddy

The thing about back to back NCs is that you have a huge target on your back. Everyone tries to take you down 10 times harder than before. Plus your players aren't quite as motivated. It takes a huge effeort by a coach to even get back. In addition no two teams are the same. Players graduate, go pro, etc. I think Florida may be the exception here since they didn't lose anyone, but I can't think of anyone else.

JMHO

ColumbianHog

Definitely multiple NC with years in between. Or in the case of UCLA, multiple NC with no years in between!

It's most impressive when you can do it with different classes...not just one uber-class.

The coaches that are there year after year (though maybe not winning it all) are the best.

I think of John Wooden, Roy Williams, Mike K, Billy D, Jim Calhoun, Nolan, Rick Pitino...

I'm probably leaving some out (maybe a lot) but I think you get the idea...

Hogtropolis™

I would say back to back.  Most of the time when a coach goes back to back it's not with the same players like Donovan did.  I think that was the first team ever or the first team in a long, long time to repeat and have the same five starters as they did the previous title year.  So if you can get 3 or 4 more guys to step up for the players that left and still go back to back, then that is what I think is the most impressive.

To be completely honest though, both are pretty dang impressive.  There has only been a handful of coaches to do that anyway.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 13, 2007, 12:02:57 pm
I would say back to back.  Most of the time when a coach goes back to back it's not with the same players like Donovan did.  I think that was the first team ever or the first team in a long, long time to repeat and have the same five starters as they did the previous title year.  So if you can get 3 or 4 more guys to step up for the players that left and still go back to back, then that is what I think is the most impressive.

To be completely honest though, both are pretty dang impressive.  There has only been a handful of coaches to do that anyway.

True.  I should change mine to say "repeating with different classes" is more impressive to me than "repeating with the same class".  If you can win B2B with a completely different starting five (or close to it) then that takes the cake.