Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When it was a . . . PASSION!

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 08, 2007, 10:37:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Back before "Nolan-gate" . . . or "Heath apathy" . . . or "one-day Dana" . . . there was . . . "the chosen one" . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWFDhfD1BM

RedSatinHog

There shall never--I repeat, NEVER--be another player at the University of Arkansas like Super Sid.  Just about anyone from that era will agree with me on that.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

BleedsBlue

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 09, 2007, 02:54:12 am
There shall never--I repeat, NEVER--be another player at the University of Arkansas like Super Sid.  Just about anyone from that era will agree with me on that.
I remember the 1978 Final Four very well.  The "Triplets" were special, but they never won a championship.  I think Nolan's teams of 94 and 95 were about as good of teams as the 78 team.  Players like Day, Mayberry, Big O, Corlis were special as well.  Nothing against Sidney, Ron, and Marvin, but  the 92, 93, 94 and 95 teams should have won back to back titles for the Hogs in 94 and 95.  They were very fun to watch. Then UK went on its little run of 96-98 and should have won 3 in a row.
Super Sid was great don't get me wrong.  I still remember his SI cover dunking on Texas.

mrcrowley

we were one horrendous call away from making the finals in 78...

we should have been bounced in the 2nd round in 95...

Lawrence Mouton pulled a Chris Webber

javajockey

Quote from: BleedsBlue on June 09, 2007, 04:59:43 pm
I remember the 1978 Final Four very well.  The "Triplets" were special, but they never won a championship.  I think Nolan's teams of 94 and 95 were about as good of teams as the 78 team.  Players like Day, Mayberry, Big O, Corlis were special as well.  Nothing against Sidney, Ron, and Marvin, but  the 92, 93, 94 and 95 teams should have won back to back titles for the Hogs in 94 and 95.  They were very fun to watch. Then UK went on its little run of 96-98 and should have won 3 in a row.
Super Sid was great don't get me wrong.  I still remember his SI cover dunking on Texas.

Everything you say is true, but that bunch from the seventies put Arkansas Basketball on the map and I would argue that Sidney means more to this program that any other single player we have had.  That even includes Corlis who is a close second.

mountainhog

<<<<<< this one?

BleedsBlue

Quote from: mountainhog on June 10, 2007, 09:10:12 pm

<<<<<< this one?

That's it.

McKdaddy

Quote from: BleedsBlue on June 11, 2007, 08:10:25 am
Quote from: mountainhog on June 10, 2007, 09:10:12 pm

<<<<<< this one?

That's it.
I've always thought the 1990-91 team was the most talented and thus, way underachieved by not getting to the FF.  I wanted a re-match w/ either UNLV or Duke in the championship game.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

WizardofhOgZ

June 11, 2007, 11:20:43 am #8 Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:42:33 pm by WizardofhOgZ

Sidney had what I often hear people using when evaluating whether or not someone is worth for a "Hall of Fame": was he "trancendent"??  In other words, did his game transcend the box score, did he have the intangibles?  Sidney absolutely did.

Consider that in his senior year, AFTER Delph and Brewer had graduated (and, let's face it, in those years those 3 WERE our team), Sidney almost single-handedly willed us to the Elite Eight, where we waged an epic battle with Larry Bird led Indiana State.  With about 13 or 14 minutes left in the game - and Bird KILLING the Hogs - Eddie Sutton threw the ultimate "hail Mary" by putting Moncrief, who had four fouls by virtue of some "chippie" calls early in the game - on Bird.  After all, if the Hogs don't slow Bird down, it doesn't matter who's in the game in the end.  I don't have the exact stats, but I'm almost sure that Bird scored only one basket the rest of the game and the Hogs rallied to within a bad call (US Reed was fouled but they called him for traveling instead) and a miracle shot by a guy named Bob Heaton (with his OFF hand) at the buzzer of making it to the Final Four.

That's how special he is/was.

slopinhogs

the Sidney and Michael come along once in a lifetime. there will never be another Sidney and to be like Mike is impossible. thanks for all you did for the state and the razorbacks Mr.Moncrief.:razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

justonefan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 11, 2007, 11:20:43 am

Sidney had what I often hear people using when evaluating whether or not someone is worth for a "Hall of Fame": was he "trancendent"??  In other words, did his game transcend the box score, did he have the intangibles?  Sidney absolutely did.

Consider that in his senior year, AFTER Delph and Brewer had graduated (and, let's face it, in those years those 3 WERE our team), Sidney almost single-handedly willed us to the Elite Eight, where we waged an epic battle with Larry Bird led Indiana State.  With about 13 or 14 minutes left in the game - and Bird KILLING the Hogs - Eddie Sutton threw the ultimate "hail Mary" by putting Moncrief, who had four fouls by virtue of some "chippie" calls early in the game - on Bird.  After all, if the Hogs don't slow Bird down, it doesn't matter who's in the game in the end.  I don't have the exact stats, but I'm almost sure that Bird scored only one basket the rest of the game and the Hogs rallied to within a bad call (US Reed was fouled but they called him for traveling instead) and a miracle shot by a guy named Bob Heaton (with his OFF hand) at the buzzer of making it to the Final Four.

That's how special he is/was.

That was the year I started following the Razorbacks.  Been a fan ever since.  That was also the year I fell in love with college hoops.