Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the SEC coaches

Started by hogfan0307, June 05, 2007, 12:02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan0307

I was curious to see everyone's opinions on ranking the SEC coaches...here's my opinion:

1. Billy Donovan (FLA)-probably the nation's best right now
2. Billy Gillespie (UK)-miracle worker has proven to do great things at non-basketball schools
3. Bruce Pearl (TENN)- can't argue with his results and recruiting
4. Kevin Stallings (VANDY)-a hot name that has done well at Vandy
5. Andy Kennedy (MISS)-great 1st year at Ole Miss
6. Rick Stansbury (MSU)-somehow makes Miss St. competitive at a dump of a campus
7. Dennis Felton (UGA)-has UGA going in the right direction
8. John Pelphrey (ARK)-unproven, i'm not sure where to put him
9. Mark Gottfried (BAMA)-can you say underachiver?
10. John Brady (LSU)-(see above)
11. Dave Odom (USC-E)-good with X's and O's, lousy recruiter
12. Jeff Lebo (AUB)- It will be tough for him to win at Auburn

RedSatinHog

1-Billy Donovan:  I don't know that he's the best in the country, but he's darn good.

2-Bruce Pearl:  Anyone who believes the jury is still out on this guy needs to first remember where Tennessee was in Men's CBB when he arrived.  The job was a CBB death wish until he took over as men's coach.

3-Billy Gillispie:  He did a fantastic job at Texas A&M, but Kentucky's a completely different ballgame.  It's a school which recruits itself, and what BG does with it will determine the rest of his career, including a few years from now when he takes an NBA job in Texas.

4-Rick Stansbury:  He's been to 2 Final Fours with MSU.  Nothing says the guy can flat out coach better and louder than that.

5-Kevin Stallings:  To accomplish what he has at Vandy is impressive, but Vandy will have a hard time hanging onto him, especially as jobs like Penn State begin opening up.  He was tailor made for a position like that.

6-Dennis Felton:  He's doing the right things to make UGA competitive in this league.  Given the right amount of time, he could be a great one.

7-Andy Kennedy:  Great first season at Ole Miss, but time will tell about how well he's able to sustain and recruit in a very tough region.  Being located just down the road from Memphis High is not going to help.

8-John Pelphrey:  Has the pedigree as a player and coach to succeed at a very high level at Arkansas.  Has accomplished great things in the SBC before his arrival in Fayetteville, but we shall see very soon whether or not he's ready for that kind of jump.

9-John Brady:  I'd compare him to Houston Dale Nutt, but I wouldn't want to insult Brady like that.  He's been to the Final Four, and that's CBB's equivalent to the BCS, and that's likely to be something HDN's never gonna see.

10-Dave Odom:  Doesn't get the job done well enough on a consistent basis on the recruiting trail, and that may not be all his fault.  Duke, Maryland, UNC, WF, and a slough of other ACC schools pretty much get their pick, leaving Odom with an unenviable task of sorting thru the leftovers.

11-Mark Gottfried:  Alabama fans are still scratching their heads as to why this guy cannot seem to get it together.  Alum or not, he'd better get it together soon, or he'll leave Tuscaloosa with a "Coming to a smaller mid-major near you..." sign on the back of his U-Haul.

12-Jeff Lebo:  Like Pelphrey, he has the pedigree for success.  Auburn is going to be a hard place to build a winning program and sell to athletes.

Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

ColumbianHog

I don't have much to contribute except to say that you guys seem to have the general order down.  Maybe I'd say:

1) Donovan - who can argue with back to back national championships?
2) Pearl - has made Tennessee competitive with national champions Florida and Kentucky.
3) Gillispie - Definitely a hot coach right now.  We'll see if he can take KY blue-chippers and make a champion.
4) Stansbury - Like AK said, two Final Fours at MSU is nothing to laugh at.
5) Stallings - Takes a small, non-sport focused school and makes them competitive every year.
6) Felton - Moving in the right direction after the scandalous years.
7) Pelphrey - Hot young coach with good background.  Can his passion for the game make a winner out of the Hogs?
8 ) Kennedy - Good, not great, first season at Ole Miss.  Nice turnaround but nothing outstanding.  Will be good though.
9) Brady - Took the returning SEC POY and did exactly squat with the team.  Last year's Final Four puts him this high.
10) Gottfried - Great nucleus of players that went nowhere thanks to bad coaching.
11) Lebo - Started with nothing at Auburn and is slowly, very slowly, getting a little bit better.
12) Odom - Mr. NIT.  Will get you a trophy...just not the kind that matters.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 05, 2007, 07:09:33 am

Just had to correct some facts.  Yes Starkville is a stuff hole, and anyone that can win 20 there on a consistent basis is a good coach.

Stansbury has led MSU to 0 Final Fours.  His predecessor Richard Williams took the 1996 team to the Final 4.  Stansbury was an assistant on that staff.  I believe he was Dontae Jones Tutor so maybe he should get some credit.  Stansbury took over the team a couple years after that.

This link has a list of the final 4 teams by year.

http://www.fanbay.net/ncaa/final4.htm

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HawgG

June 05, 2007, 12:55:30 pm #4 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:58:21 pm by HawgG
You guys had a lot good facts about the coaches so I will just rank them according to how I see it.
(Subject to change)

1.Billy Donavan
2.Bruce Pearl
3.Andy Kennedy
4.Billy Gillispie
5.Kevin Stallings
6.Rick Stansbury
7.Dennis Felton
8.Dave Odom
9.John Brady
10.John Pelphrey
11.Jeff Lebo
12.Mike Gottfried

jbcarol

1. Billy Gillespie (UK)-miracle worker has proven to do great things at non-basketball schools.  (KY joined those ranks in '06)
2. Billy Donovan (FLA)-probably the nation's best right now (hard to argue with 2 NC's.
3. John Pelphrey (ARK)-unproven, i'm not sure where to put him.  How about 3rd behind his school & mentor
4. Andy Kennedy (MISS)-great 1st year at Ole Miss.  Cincinnati's loss.  They went with MSM member Mick Cronin.
5. Bruce Pearl (TENN)- can't argue with his results and recruiting.  Got Lofton but Tubby didn't give him an offer.
6. Kevin Stallings (VANDY)-a hot name that has done well at Vandy.  Has KY's number recently.
7. Rick Stansbury (MSU)-somehow makes Miss St. competitive at a dump of a campus.  Campbellsville U. grad. Love the family.
8. Dennis Felton (UGA)-has UGA going in the right direction. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ms.sha86

Im sorry but Dennis Felton needs to be ranked lower. Hes been theyre 5 years and still aint did squat. Also you have to give Donovan the 1st spot no matter what. Also you cant rank Gillespie and Pelphrey just yet. so I say its:
1)Billy Donovan
2)Bruce Pearl
3)Kevin Stallings
3)Andy Kennedy
5)John Brady
6)Mark Gottfried
7)Rick Stansbury
8)Dave Odom
9)Dennis Felton
10) Jeff Lebo

Just to let you know Im going on what theyve accomplished.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 05, 2007, 12:37:59 pm

Just had to correct some facts.  Yes Starkville is a stuff hole, and anyone that can win 20 there on a consistent basis is a good coach.

Stansbury has led MSU to 0 Final Fours.  His predecessor Richard Williams took the 1996 team to the Final 4.  Stansbury was an assistant on that staff.  I believe he was Dontae Jones Tutor so maybe he should get some credit.  Stansbury took over the team a couple years after that.

And just who are you to let facts come in the way of public opinion?!?!?! ;)

Good catch...I'll have to watch more sportcenter so I don't talk out of my a$$ anymore. So embarassing...   :-[

TRUHOG718

Quote from: hogfan0307 on June 05, 2007, 12:02:47 am
I was curious to see everyone's opinions on ranking the SEC coaches...here's my opinion:

1. Billy Donovan (FLA)-probably the nation's best right now
2. Billy Gillespie (UK)-miracle worker has proven to do great things at non-basketball schools
3. Bruce Pearl (TENN)- can't argue with his results and recruiting
4. Kevin Stallings (VANDY)-a hot name that has done well at Vandy
5. Andy Kennedy (MISS)-great 1st year at Ole Miss
6. Rick Stansbury (MSU)-somehow makes Miss St. competitive at a dump of a campus
7. Dennis Felton (UGA)-has UGA going in the right direction
8. John Pelphrey (ARK)-unproven, i'm not sure where to put him

You pinned the tail on the donkey in reference to Lebo. My cousin plays B-Ball for Auburn and he said.....................(id better stop right there before I start something) .... but you get the picture   :puke:
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

biggesthogfanever501

1. Billy Gillespie (UK)-in '06)
2. Billy Donovan (FLA)
3. John Pelphrey (ARK)
4. Andy Kennedy (MISS)
5. Bruce Pearl (TENN)
6. Kevin Stallings (VANDY>
7. Rick Stansbury (MSU)
8. Dennis Felton (UGA)
9. Mark Gottfried (BAMA)
10. John Brady (LSU)
11. Dave Odom (USC)
12. Jeff Lebo (AUB)

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ms.sha86

I have to ask a question...Why is Andy Kennedy so high on everyones list. He hasnt done anything, same with Dennis Felton. Coach Mark Gottfried and Dave Odom has at least accomplished something. So my question is why are they are so high on there list??

bd93

Right now it's unfair to rank Pelphrey.  He hasn't done anything at South Alabama other than turn a program around, but no tourney wins.  He has alot of potenial.  But untill after the season is when I'll make my list. Gillispie has gone to the sweet sixteen and we all know he can recruit, which makes him easier to rank.  But right now Pel is just up in the air.  I don't know if he is going to be a bust or a sucess.

When we hired him it was like taking that cocky Wide Recever in the first round.  Alot of upside, but it makes up look very stupid if he doesn't pan out.  I think that Pel will Pan out and be a great coach though. :razorback: :razorback:

But anyways here's my list (not including Pel):
1) Billy Donavan
2) Billy Gillispie
3) Bruce Pearl
4) Kevin Stallings
5) John Brady
6) Andy Kennedy
7) Rick Stansbury
8 ) Dennis Felton
9) Mark Gottfried
10) Dave Odom
11) Jeff Lebo

ColumbianHog

Quote from: ms.sha86 on June 05, 2007, 07:23:35 pm
I have to ask a question...Why is Andy Kennedy so high on everyones list. He hasnt done anything, same with Dennis Felton. Coach Mark Gottfried and Dave Odom has at least accomplished something. So my question is why are they are so high on there list??

I agree.  Ole miss was improved this season but they still didn't do anything special.  Perhaps Kennedy will take them higher than they've been since Rob Evans was the coach...I dunno.  Same boat for Felton...he's improved the Dawgs coming out of the Harrick scandal but still hasn't done anything remarkable.

I think everyone is down on Gottfried because he has so much talent and hasn't done much with it.  People expected some Final Fours out of his teams.  Dave Odom has accomplished the NIT.  Which, while it is a tournament victory and they get a trophy, at the end of the day all it says is, "hey, I didn't make the NCAA tournament this year".

I'm sorry, I still can't believe you didn't know who Sonny Weems is.  It's ok.  But for some of us that are on here all the time it's just surprising.  Welcome to Hogville!

ms.sha86

Columbian Im glad you understand where Im coming from. Wow!!! Andy Kennedy tied for confrence last year but I believe 8-8 won the confrence. Since Dennis Felton has been there how many (if any) NCAA tournaments have they been too. Also Have they ever finished above 4th in the confrence. I believe hes been ther for 5yrs. He should be doing something by now. At least Dave Odom has won some Championships Back to Back. I agree with you on Gottfried. I thought they should have  been to some Final Fours too. But they have accomplised something and the others have not. Thats what I think it should be based on.

P.S. I knew who he was. But for some reason Sonny sticks to me more than just Weems. So if you would have said Sonny I could of put the puzzle together.

HawgG

Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 05, 2007, 10:55:17 pm

I agree.  Ole miss was improved this season but they still didn't do anything special.  Perhaps Kennedy will take them higher than they've been since Rob Evans was the coach...I dunno.  Same boat for Felton...he's improved the Dawgs coming out of the Harrick scandal but still hasn't done anything remarkable.

I think everyone is down on Gottfried because he has so much talent and hasn't done much with it.  People expected some Final Fours out of his teams.  Dave Odom has accomplished the NIT.  Which, while it is a tournament victory and they get a trophy, at the end of the day all it says is, "hey, I didn't make the NCAA tournament this year".

This is a tread asking to rank the Head Coaches of the SEC.Well guys just don't start coaching once they get to the SEC you have to talk about their entire body of work.

Dave Odom-Inherited a team in Wake Forest that had suffered 4 straight losing seasons.Odom went 240-132 at Wake Forest and he did it will Duke and North Carolina were at their peaks.
More Highlights
3 Time ACC coach of the year(1991,1994,1995)
7 straight NCAAT trips
Won back-to-back ACC Championships(1995,1996)

Remember those accomplishments came in the Best basketball league(ACC) and while playing the outcast to Duke and UNC.

I listed Andy Kennedy's impressive resume a little while back, and why Arkansas didn't at least call him to see if he might be interested in coaching here was a very strange non-move.

Make no mistake about it, AD is the best HC in the SEC West.What he did at Ole Miss last season was a miracle.He basically took 3 players(Only Clarence Sanders was considered a top recruit)and won 21 games by hiding all of the Rebels' many weaknesses.Ole Miss went 14-1 in Oxford last season only losing to UK.

As a person who follows recruiting I can tell you that Kennedy was a great recruiter for Huggins at Cincy and he is doing a great job at Ole Miss after one season on the job.It is only a matter of time before he helps Ole Miss win the SECW and it will be sooner rather than later.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 05, 2007, 12:37:59 pm

Thanks.  I stand corrected, but do not for one minute discount the fact that he has accomplished a run of 4 consecutive 20-win seasons at the MSU helm.  To us, that might not mean much.  To folks in Starksville, that means a boat load.

I'd still leave him where I listed him, though.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: HawgG on June 06, 2007, 12:29:05 am
Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 05, 2007, 10:55:17 pm

This is a tread asking to rank the Head Coaches of the SEC.Well guys just don't start coaching once they get to the SEC you have to talk about their entire body of work.

Dave Odom-Inherited a team in Wake Forest that had suffered 4 straight losing seasons.Odom went 240-132 at Wake Forest and he did it will Duke and North Carolina were at their peaks.
More Highlights
3 Time ACC coach of the year(1991,1994,1995)
7 straight NCAAT trips
Won back-to-back ACC Championships(1995,1996)

Remember those accomplishments came in the Best basketball league(ACC) and while playing the outcast to Duke and UNC.

I listed Andy Kennedy's impressive resume a little while back, and why Arkansas didn't at least call him to see if he might be interested in coaching here was a very strange non-move.

Make no mistake about it, AD is the best HC in the SEC West.What he did at Ole Miss last season was a miracle.He basically took 3 players(Only Clarence Sanders was considered a top recruit)and won 21 games by hiding all of the Rebels' many weaknesses.Ole Miss went 14-1 in Oxford last season only losing to UK.

As a person who follows recruiting I can tell you that Kennedy was a great recruiter for Huggins at Cincy and he is doing a great job at Ole Miss after one season on the job.It is only a matter of time before he helps Ole Miss win the SECW and it will be sooner rather than later.

I thought we were talking about the best coach in the SEC....and Odom hasn't done much in the SEC.  Which, in my opinion, is the new best basketball conference (looking at the last five years).  And in 1995 and 1996 I'm still not sure if the ACC was the best.  They won 3 titles in the early 90s while the SEC won three in the mid to late 90s.  but, I digress...that's for another thread.

Anyhow, you may be right about Kennedy.  He did a good job with Ole Miss last season and may have them on track to be SEC champs in the near future.  He will need to use some of that recruiting magic because the previous coach didn't leave squat to work with.

ColumbianHog

I thought we were talking about the best coach in the SEC....and Odom hasn't done much in the SEC.  Which, in my opinion, is the new best basketball conference (looking at the last five years).  And in 1995 and 1996 I'm still not sure if the ACC was the best.  They won 3 titles in the early 90s while the SEC won three in the mid to late 90s.  but, I digress...that's for another thread.

Let me take that back.  After looking at some records, it seems the ACC was only slightly better than the SEC in the 90s and has been better than the SEC in the 2000s.  Even the Big Ten has been to more Final Fours and Championship games than the SEC in the 2000s....though the SEC has 1 more title thanks to Florida.

ms.sha86

You can win 21 games easily......play a weak Out Of Confrence schedrule. Also winning at home didnt seem a problem for too many people. Winning on the road was a problem. Yea we know people just dont start coaching when they get to the SEC. But I say that its fair to rank them based on theyre performance here because they could have been in a weak confrence and did good. So I dont think that is fair to some. Im changing mine and THIS IS BASED ON WHAT THEY HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE SEC. Like I said eailer Im not ranking the two new coaches. They havent even played a game yet. So they get a pass and Im ranking 10.

1. Billy Donovan
2. Bruce Pearl-In his short time here he has done good
3. Mark Gottfried-People may not like him and say hes an underacheiver. But he has done pretty good. Even though people think hes a poor coach.
4. Rick Stansbury
5. John Brady
6. Kevin Stallings
7. Dave Odom
8.Andy Kennedy
9. Dennis Felton
10. Jeff Lebo

HawgAdvocate

1. Billy Gillespie
2. Billy Donovan
3. Bruce Pearl
4. Andy Kennedy
5. Kevin Stallings
6. Rick Stansbury
7. John Pelphrey
8. John Brady
9. Dennis Felton
10. Mark Gottfried
11. Dave Odom
12. Jeff Lebo
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogtropolis™

I don't see how in the world anybody can put Donovan lower than 1.  What more can you ask for than back to back NC?

Also, I don't see how some of you are putting Pel so high.  Don't get me wrong or anything because I am real excited about him and think he will do a great job, but how can you put someone that hasn't shown us anything be ranked higher than 9 or 10?

ms.sha86

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 06, 2007, 12:09:38 pm
I don't see how in the world anybody can put Donovan lower than 1.  What more can you ask for than back to back NC?

Also, I don't see how some of you are putting Pel so high.  Don't get me wrong or anything because I am real excited about him and think he will do a great job, but how can you put someone that hasn't shown us anything be ranked higher than 9 or 10?

I think Donovan is an awesome coach. Don't get me wrong, but there's more to college basketball than just coaching. Donovan's staff (and previous members such as Grant) helped recruit that team. At one time we were on a lot of great talent thanks to Coach Cyrpien's renowned recruiting tactics, not Heath alone. See what I'm saying? But the heavy majority of Florida's overall success definetly goes to Donovan.

But as far as pure coaching goes, I still give my vote to Gillespie simply because he's so intense and devoted to what he does.

No kids. No wife. Just basketball. Give him all the perks that come with Kentucky. Give him Cyprien's recruiting. Gillespie has no reason NOT to make it to the Elite 8 within 3 years.

Just my 2 cents though.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Bomis Hawg

1. Billy Donovan -- Great coach who built a program.
2. Bruce Pearl -- Once is luck, twice is not.  He's done a solid job at Tennessee.
3. Billy Gillispie -- Good coach, but unproven in the SEC.  Time will tell.
4. Kevin Stallings -- They called for his head.  He responded with a team depleted of stars.  Good coach.
5. Dennis Felton -- Good hire from WKU.  Turned a problemed program into a potential winner.
6. Andy Kennedy -- Made a good run in year #1.  Important to build on that year to make it not look like a fluke.
7. Rick Stansbury -- I'd say a little underrated.  A little too consistant.  Good years and bad years.  Winner, though.
8.  John Pelphrey -- Had a decent run at USA.  Potential to have a solid career at Arkansas.  Has talent.
9. Mark Gottfried -- Can win, but never has his team playing to potential.
10. Jeff Lebo -- Had his first real success at Auburn, but it didn't last.  He's here based on past coaching performances.
11. John Brady -- A FF.  But, what else?  Can coach stars, but not teams without that.  A poor man's Gottfried.
12. Dave Odom -- Has had runs.  But, his SC adventure hasn't been spectacular, namely last year.

jbcarol

Rank all the coaches.  The decisions they have made since coming on board in additon to what they inherited will determine the outcome for next year.  Gillespie beat out Donovan and Coach "K" for Patterson.  Pelphrey beat out Gillispie for Sanchez.  Donovan made some bad choices in the past week (moving him from #1).  Back-2-back is impressive.  Having three sons of professional athletes on your team (so they all came back for their Jr year) helped (kudos for recruiting them and keeping them together). 

ms.sha86

im sorry but Mark Gottfried has one better than Rick Stansbury.Also if you rank D.Felton and A.Kennedy higer than 8. You need to go to rehab cuz you iz on some heavy stuff. Like I said eailer aint none of them done sqat to be ranked that high.

RedSatinHog

Easy.  It means more to have a coach with whom you have a reason for high expectations (Pelphrey) than it does to try and pump up a coach who has proven himself to be a glorified bottom feeder (Gottfried). 

It's also hard for most folks to get excited about a program (Auburn) which has very little if anything to be excited about.  No offense to Jeff Lebo, but he's got his work cut out for him.  At least Pelphrey has a solid nucleus of talent returning.

Bomis Hawg

I would take Felton and Kennedy over Gottfried in a heartbeat.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 06, 2007, 11:23:44 pm

Easy.  It means more to have a coach with whom you have a reason for high expectations (Pelphrey) than it does to try and pump up a coach who has proven himself to be a glorified bottom feeder (Gottfried). 

It's also hard for most folks to get excited about a program (Auburn) which has very little if anything to be excited about.  No offense to Jeff Lebo, but he's got his work cut out for him.  At least Pelphrey has a solid nucleus of talent returning.

You may be right, but I am just not ready to put Pel up there yet.  He just hasn't had a chance to show me anything yet.  Hopefully, we can put him up in the top 4 or 5 in a very short period of time, but I just don't see how anyone can put him that high right now.

ColumbianHog

You guys are right.  Pelphrey doesn't deserve to be ranked very high right now.  But only if we're ranking based on SEC performance.  In that case, we also can't rank Gillispie and have very little to go on in favor of Kennedy.  Also, that would put Odom lower down the list than if you counted his time at Wake Forest.

Gillispie will get every chance this season to show if he can coach better than Billy Donovan.  Bruce Pearl will as well.  With Donovan's "Fab Five" being gone, I look for the East to be very, very close.

And as stated above (somewhere), kennedy will get the chance to prove that this season at Ole Miss was no fluke.  Pelphrey will be in the same boat next season after all these seniors leave.  Here are my new rankings after listening to all the arguments and looking at everyone else's rankings:

1 ) Billy Donovan      ---  two-time defending national champs
2 ) Bruce Pearl         ---  resurrecting Tennessee basketball
3 ) Kevin Stallings    --- making Vandy competitive...can beat anyone on any given night
4 ) Rick Stansbury    --- see Vandy
5 ) Andy Kennedy    --- off to a good start in reviving Rebel b-ball
6 ) Mark Gottfried    --- good recruiter but can't seem to win as much as he should
7 ) John Brady         --- makes LSU competitive but needs superstars to go deep in the tourney
8 ) Dennis Felton    --- his good start at georgia is starting to plateau
9 ) Dave Odom        ---  good coach when at WF but finding life in the SEC pretty tough
10) Jeff Lebo         ---  started out way undermanned at Auburn and is very slowly getting better
NR) Billy Gillispie     ---  should be in the top three but has yet to coach an SEC game
NR) John Pelphrey  ---  will be great if he can channel the magic of his mentors

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ms.sha86 on June 06, 2007, 11:10:13 pm
im sorry but Mark Gottfried has one better than Rick Stansbury.Also if you rank D.Felton and A.Kennedy higer than 8. You need to go to rehab cuz you iz on some heavy stuff. Like I said eailer aint none of them done sqat to be ranked that high.

Andy Kennedy is an awesome coach. Mark Gottfried has had so much talent over the years, and has done so little with it. It seems like every year they fail to come close to meeting expectations.

As for Stansbury, anyone who can make a winner out of Starkville is a good coach. His decision to small ball in the 2nd half of the season was the reason they tore up the SEC late in the season last year. Rhodes and Gordon are marquee All-SEC players in his system.

Felton hasn't recruited well. He'll be gone in two years if he can't do some damage. Tennesee, Kentucky, and Florida aren't getting any worse.