Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Donovan wants to return to Florida

Started by eldeearr, June 03, 2007, 10:41:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bd93

hawaiianhogster

ColumbianHog

To me it shows a lack of integrity, commitment, and class.  I've lost a lot of respect for Billy Donovan if he backs out of this deal after signing the papers.  Not only did will he have jobbed the Magic (they'll be fine) but he will have jobbed his buddy Anthony Grant.

blacksuit

June 04, 2007, 08:18:36 am #4 Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:20:56 am by blacksuit
EDIT: he has evidently not signed the contract yet, making my sarcastic comment moot:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/06/03/florida.grant.ap/index.html

Beaverfever

He has signed the contract.  This is all just ridiculous.  Be a man Billy!

The Boar War

Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 04, 2007, 07:50:22 am
To me it shows a lack of integrity, commitment, and class.  I've lost a lot of respect for Billy Donovan if he backs out of this deal after signing the papers.  Not only did will he have jobbed the Magic (they'll be fine) but he will have jobbed his buddy Anthony Grant.

Anthony Grant didn't get the opportunity he wanted but I think he'll come out of this better than it seems at first glance.  It would have been really difficult for a coach with one year of talent to walk into the atmosphere of the SEC and replicate the recent success. 

Future ad's with open positions will see that Florida looked at him for the job until Billy renigged on the contract.  That will probably reflect on him favorably. 

I also don't think the kids at VCU can honestly hold it against him if he wanted to leave for a national powerhouse.

justonefan

Not much magic in Orlando after all, is there? ???

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ColumbianHog

Quote from: The Boar War on June 04, 2007, 04:50:43 pm
Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 04, 2007, 07:50:22 am

Anthony Grant didn't get the opportunity he wanted but I think he'll come out of this better than it seems at first glance.  It would have been really difficult for a coach with one year of talent to walk into the atmosphere of the SEC and replicate the recent success. 

Future ad's with open positions will see that Florida looked at him for the job until Billy renigged on the contract.  That will probably reflect on him favorably. 

I also don't think the kids at VCU can honestly hold it against him if he wanted to leave for a national powerhouse.

Yeah, Anthony Grant will be ok.  But it still must sting a little to be 'this' close to coaching the defending national champs only to have your former boss say "Oops, sorry buddy, I think I'll change my mind." 

I would say that BD will have to finish his years in Florida because no one else would hire him now.........but I don't think that's true.  He's no Dana Altman when it comes to coaching ability and could still probably get almost any opening he wanted.

justonefan

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, Anthony Grant will be ok.  But it still must sting a little to be 'this' close to coaching the defending national champs only to have your former boss say "Oops, sorry buddy, I think I'll change my mind." 

I would say that BD will have to finish his years in Florida because no one else would hire him now.........but I don't think that's true.  He's no Dana Altman when it comes to coaching ability and could still probably get almost any opening he wanted.
[/quote]

Apparently you're not the only one who thinks so.  The hold up with canceling the Orlando contract seems to be the assurance they want that BD will not accept an offer from any other proteam in ...oh, say... the next century.