Previous topic - Next topic

Will Florida Hire

Coach with 1 NCAA Tournament Win
Coach with 0 NCAA Tournament Wins
Coach with Multiple NCAA Wins
A Sun Belt Coach
A Former NBA Player or Coach

Held Hawgstage

Or will they just pay money to a hiring firm and let them do the work?

cardinalhawg

I say it will be a coach with one NCAA tourney win, with that being Anthony Grant.  This late in the game, Grant would be the obvious choice with his connections to the state of Florida, Donovan, and the Gator program.  I would not expect him to turn down such a job, and if Florida has him in the bag, then there would be not need to hire the search firm, especially at this time of year.  If Florida is unsure concerning who they want or if they are unsure about who they can get, then the Search Committee would be okay.

Held Hawgstage

I don't know why we didn't lock up Grant when we had the chance...oh wait I know why. It's taboo so I'll stop right there.

cardinalhawg

June 01, 2007, 10:12:52 am #3 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:23:45 am by cardinalhawg
Quote from: Held Hawgstage on June 01, 2007, 09:58:56 am
I don't know why we didn't lock up Grant when we had the chance...oh wait I know why. It's taboo so I'll stop right there.

I do not understand what you are getting at or where you are going with that comment.  Grant was not mentioned that much by the media in regards to being a candidate, even though he had a big push from the Hogville posters.  Pelphrey had been at a NCAA Div I school longer than Grant, with some success building up a program, but Grant's one year at VCU would probably rank better than any of Pelphrey's seasons at South Alabama.  Both coaches have ties to Donovan, the Florida program, and up tempo basketball, so I think going with either coach would have been fine.

I do not know if you are trying to make race an issue here, but perhaps you are making the one year of success argument, in that Heath was hired after one year of success, like Grant would have been, if hired as the Hog coach.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: cardinalhawg on June 01, 2007, 10:12:52 am

I do not understand what you are getting at or where you are going with that comment.  Grant was not mentioned that much by the media in regards to being that candidate, even though he had a big push from the Hogville posters.  Pelphrey had been at a NCAA Div I school longer than Grant, with some success building up a program, but Grant's one year at VCU would probably rank better than any of Pelphrey's seasons at South Alabama.  Both coaches have ties to Donovan, the Florida program, and up tempo basketball, so I think going with either coach would have been fine.

I do not know if you are trying to make race an issue here, but perhaps you are making the one year of success argument, in that Heath was hired after one year of success, like Grant would have been, if hired as the Hog coach.

It has nothing to do with race.

I think Grant would have been a good hire but it probably echoes the Heath hiring too much (i.e. one good season with someone else's players).  So, the search firm recommended a coach with a few more years experience instead.

I'll say it again, I think Pelphrey and Grant both have the potential to be outstanding coaches in the SEC (but I suppose Grant will have to be hired first...)

Razorod

I doubt Grant would have come here anyway because he had a very good idea that the UF job would be available. Donovan's leaving is no surprise; many were talking about the Orlando job becoming available back in March and Donovan has always been the leading candidate to fill the void--another reason why he turned down UK. Why would Grant come to Arkansas when there was an very good chance that the UF job would be coming open and he would be the lead candidate? And even if it hadn't come open, all he had to do was wait another season or two and another job would have been available.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Razorod on June 01, 2007, 10:39:21 am
I doubt Grant would have come here anyway because he had a very good idea that the UF job would be available. Donovan's leaving is no surprise; many were talking about the Orlando job becoming available back in March and Donovan has always been the leading candidate to fill the void--another reason why he turned down UK. Why would Grant come to Arkansas when there was an very good chance that the UF job would be coming open and he would be the lead candidate? And even if it hadn't come open, all he had to do was wait another season or two and another job would have been available.

Quite possible.  We'll never know for sure.  I'm sure Pelphrey would have been a candidate as well.

Smithian

Give me Pel or give me death.

little pigee

HH, I hope you stick around for the bb season.  Why the avatar change?
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

TRUHOG718

June 01, 2007, 01:56:11 pm #9 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 02:44:11 pm by TRUHOG718

I do not understand what you are getting at or where you are going with that comment.  Grant was not mentioned that much by the media in regards to being a candidate, even though he had a big push from the Hogville posters.  Pelphrey had been at a NCAA Div I school longer than Grant, with some success building up a program, but Grant's one year at VCU would probably rank better than any of Pelphrey's seasons at South Alabama.  Both coaches have ties to Donovan, the Florida program, and up tempo basketball, so I think going with either coach would have been fine.

Did you realize The Hire Anthony Grant threads was one of the most posted on threads in the History of Hogville. THe whole thread was erased by Mods so I cant even paste it up here for ya. That had nothing to do with race. He was the obvious choice of this board after the bigs turned us down but Frank was not willing to swallow his pride and hire another one year coach regardless of race. 172-11 Is not a bad record when looking for a head coach and that's Grant's overall record as a head coach.

The topic of him being the obvious choice to replace the coach of the national champions two years in a row even made a better case for us to grab him regardless of how HEath turned out. How many of us on this board said "I hope this does not come back to bite us" when we passed on Grant. Then we ended up with Pelphrey and that calmed many of our nerves including mine. I was awoke this morning by espn news with the story and my first thought was wow I called it watch them snag Grant.

I'm with ColumbianHog as I believe they willl both be great coaches and only time will tell who will be the better of the two. Held Hawgstage does make a lot of highly debatable posts but this one is not one of them. The only thing I would have changed is "Its Taboo" to "I hope its not Taboo". No need to put the curse on us now. Weve been cursed the last 10 years. TRUHOG OUT
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

The Boar War

Quote from: little pigee on June 01, 2007, 01:35:36 pm
HH, I hope you stick around for the bb season.  Why the avatar change?

Are you kidding?  Haven't you noticed how many times he's been caught with his pants down?

ColumbianHog

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on June 01, 2007, 01:56:11 pm

Did you realize The Hire Anthony Grant threads was one of the most posted on threads in the History of Hogville. THe whole thread was erased by Mods so I cant even paste it up here for ya. That had nothing to do with race. He was the obvious choice of this board after the bigs turned us down but Frank was not willing to swallow his pride and hire another one year coach regardless of race. 172-11 Is not a bad record when looking for a head coach and that's Grant's overall record as a head coach.

The topic of him being the obvious choice to replace the coach of the national champions two years in a row even made a better case for us to grab him regardless of how HEath turned out. How many of us on this board said "I hope this does not come back to bite us" when we passed on Grant. Then we ended up with Pelphrey and that calmed many of our nerves including mine. I was awoke this morning by espn news with the story and my first thought was wow I called it watch them snag Grant.

I'm with ColumbianHog as I believe they willl both be great coaches and only time will tell who will be the better of the two. Held Hawgstage does make a lot of highly debatable posts but this one is not one of them. The only thing I would have changed is "Its Taboo" to "I hope its not Taboo". No need to put the curse on us now. Weve been cursed the last 10 years. TRUHOG OUT

Actually, 172-11 is his record as a high school head coach.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Grant_(basketball)>;
He was 28-7 last season at VCU and that's his record as a collegiate head coach.

I'm not doubting his abilities but let's make sure we don't get misled when looking at his record.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 01, 2007, 04:29:43 pm

Actually, 172-11 is his record as a high school head coach.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Grant_(basketball)>;
He was 28-7 last season at VCU and that's his record as a collegiate head coach.

I'm not doubting his abilities but let's make sure we don't get misled when looking at his record.

I know hes only been a college coach one year so 172-11 would be impossible. I figured anyone would figure that out.  So thats 200-18......WTD
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on June 01, 2007, 06:41:18 pm
Quote from: ColumbianHog on June 01, 2007, 04:29:43 pm

I know hes only been a college coach one year so 172-11 would be impossible. I figured anyone would figure that out.  So thats 200-18......WTD

Ummm....high school....college.....high school.....college.....

Yeah, no difference. :)

Seriously though...there's a huge difference between HS and college athletics.  Please don't get me wrong...I think he's a good coach and will be good at Florida if he goes there.  But I don't base that on his HS coaching record.  There are lots of HS coaches with good records that wouldn't cut it in DIII ball...much less DI SEC ball.

I would base my opinion of him being a good coach on the system he was brought up in and his performance so far at VCU.